Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

KodiakRS posted:

Is 1337 speak still considered "cool" because I got this yesterday:

(Edit, and yes taking this picture is what made me realize the last crew left the transponder on)

I'm at maximum BRT over here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
In some of the video of AS1288 losing its landing gear the other day someone’s iPhone alarm is going the entire time. It is by far the most anxiety inducing part of the whole situation to me

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

In some of the video of AS1288 losing its landing gear the other day someone’s iPhone alarm is going the entire time. It is by far the most anxiety inducing part of the whole situation to me

It doesn’t even go off after the accident. It’s going through the seemingly normal landing part of it. I have no idea what the heck.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Ugh, you're right. Also, the guy who is just commenting on stuff happening is strange.

https://twitter.com/ahfahad/status/1693707418604118078

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Why are there sparks outside :downs:

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Should they be inside?

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

So I met with my neurologist, I’m on propranolol, and I will be off of the other verboten drugs I’m on (Klonopin and gabapentin) probably by end of October. He’s fully onboard with helping me with whatever I need to go for the PPL.

If all goes to plan, the 90 day period I need to be clear of them should be end of January, early February.

Should I wait a few more months to start any kind of flight school to be sure I have a better than average chance of passing the medical or should I start now? I’m already well over halfway through Sportys but that’s pretty easy stuff.

I should probably start with an AME consult right?

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Based on my experience with being on the lowest dose of one anti-anxiety medication for something completely unrelated, for a year, I would expect your local AME to not be able to issue the certificate, and that it will have to come from Oklahoma with lots of hoop-jumping and supporting documents, after about 4 months. Just be prepared to be patient if you really want that third class. gently caress this broken system.

i am kiss u now fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Aug 23, 2023

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Douchebag posted:

So I met with my neurologist, I’m on propranolol, and I will be off of the other verboten drugs I’m on (Klonopin and gabapentin) probably by end of October. He’s fully onboard with helping me with whatever I need to go for the PPL.

If all goes to plan, the 90 day period I need to be clear of them should be end of January, early February.

Should I wait a few more months to start any kind of flight school to be sure I have a better than average chance of passing the medical or should I start now? I’m already well over halfway through Sportys but that’s pretty easy stuff.

I should probably start with an AME consult right?

You might be better off talking to these guys

https://clearapproach.mayoclinic.org/Public/Index.aspx

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I would definitely secure a medical (or decide on going with basicmed) before proceeding with any more flight training.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Thanks, appreciate the advice. I think I’m ok with basic med. I have no ambition to go commercial, just want to learn and maybe one day own a small one I can take on short trips.

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

Still need to have held a medical before you can be on basicmed

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

yellowD posted:

Still need to have held a medical before you can be on basicmed

Good to know, thanks. Gonna hold off until early to mid next year then do a consult and go from there.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Went an forwarded advice about ATP to my uncle, thanks!

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

sleepy gary posted:

Why are there sparks outside :downs:

I would venture to say that most passenger flights are not known to have sparks outside, so it's a pretty reasonable question considering.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Fire, either inside or outside, the airplane is one of the few things that gives me existential fear about commercial air travel. And that is given my reasonable understanding about how the industry works. Sparks outside are absolute cause for pants-making GBS threads adjacent concern.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

vessbot posted:

I would venture to say that most passenger flights are not known to have sparks outside, so it's a pretty reasonable question considering.

Yeah, that’s not very typical, I’d like to make that point.

I know. It was more the way he said it that made me laugh.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Beef Of Ages posted:

Fire, either inside or outside, the airplane is one of the few things that gives me existential fear about commercial air travel. And that is given my reasonable understanding about how the industry works. Sparks outside are absolute cause for pants-making GBS threads adjacent concern.

some fire inside the airplane is important to make it go

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I work for an airline and was commuting one time when something went and we could smell fuel in the cabin. We had to turn around & I’ve never been more internally terrified in my life of some kind of spark. The elite next to me was bitching that we better get compensation

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Sagebrush posted:

some fire inside the airplane is important to make it go

My airplane is driven by blockchain technology actually

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
If the OP ever gets updated, I'm a class 2 instructor now! :getin:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
2 classy 2 furious

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

azflyboy posted:

ATP is credible, but it's absolutely a case of "you get what you put into it", since their interest is just churning people through as fast as possible.

I'm not sure what their GI Bill status is, but my understanding (which is from a number of years ago, and may be wrong) is that the GI Bill won't pay for a private pilot certificate (I'm not sure how university flight programs fit in there), but it will pay for training after that.

University flight programs will get you your private on the GI Bill, but you must be enrolled with the intent to get the rest of the ratings as well.

Thinking is if they're going to pay for it, you have to want to do something with it.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

The elite next to me was bitching that we better get compensation

Well, that’s fair isn’t it? The status quo is that maintenance delays or cancellations, or even worse an in-air incident, is eligible for voucher / refund. At least as I understand it.

The suckers who never ask may end up without that compensation, unless required by law. Though I imagine these days airlines have an auto voucher system for passenger manifests on these flights.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Inner Light posted:

Well, that’s fair isn’t it? The status quo is that maintenance delays or cancellations, or even worse an in-air incident, is eligible for voucher / refund. At least as I understand it.

The suckers who never ask may end up without that compensation, unless required by law. Though I imagine these days airlines have an auto voucher system for passenger manifests on these flights.

Speaking of this, Jesus, are the big airline trip report vloggers getting bad.

It used to be Noel Phillips was good for "random airline in third-world country in the back of the bus" but now typically can't be bothered to sit in anything less than a lie-flat, though at least he did the United Island Hopper in coach.

Meanwhile, Jeb Brooks does trip reports about America's WORST airline but in a Big, Front Seat and RYANAIR but we're paying for the exit row because lol if new wifey and I are getting the proper experience.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Inner Light posted:

Oh I’m not saying it wasn’t fair, just that the immediate concern being compensation and not a single spark burning us all to death in the air within a max of like 15 minutes didn’t register at all for this person

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

You'll smell Jet fuel way (way!) before it's concentrated enough to catch fire. A minor splash on your shoe will stink up a room to near unbearable levels.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

ImplicitAssembler posted:

You'll smell Jet fuel way (way!) before it's concentrated enough to catch fire. A minor splash on your shoe will stink up a room to near unbearable levels.
Isn't jet fuel also on the low end of the "wants to explode" spectrum in the same general area as diesel where it needs some convincing to go kaboom, compared to gasoline which is happy to ignite at the first hint of a spark?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

My club took delivery of a leaseback DA40NG and on day one started storing the fuel tester in the front seat pocket.

So ya, that airplane will forever smell like jet fuel.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

wolrah posted:

Isn't jet fuel also on the low end of the "wants to explode" spectrum in the same general area as diesel where it needs some convincing to go kaboom, compared to gasoline which is happy to ignite at the first hint of a spark?
Yeah, liquid (vs aerosol) Jet A will put out a match.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nL10C7FSbE&t=114s

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

wolrah posted:

Yeah.
Jet A is basically just kerosene.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Oh I’m not saying it wasn’t fair, just that the immediate concern being compensation and not a single spark burning us all to death in the air within a max of like 15 minutes didn’t register at all for this person

Delta should’ve never retired the DC-9-50 so new frequent fliers can learn that weird, extremely loud noises, severe vibrations and burning smells are normal and fine.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Fair enough. It was concerning enough to the pilots that we did have to get checked out by the fire department when we landed before they'd even let us approach the gate.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

depending on the jet, if you forget to turn the packs off during the engine start you get a lovely jet fuel smell throughout the cabin too

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

hobbesmaster posted:

Delta should’ve never retired the DC-9-50 so new frequent fliers can learn that weird, extremely loud noises, severe vibrations and burning smells are normal and fine.

I can’t hear you over the 400hz whine.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MrYenko posted:

And the auxiliary hydraulic whatever. And of course the engines.

Shouldn’t the burning rubber smell have gone away by now?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

The smell of hot grease is a feature, not a bug.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

MrYenko posted:

I can’t hear either over the tinnitus of being in the back most row of AA mad dogs and 727s during my childhood. So many NRSA standby flights in the back thanks to my grandfathers benefits

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Know what's wild? I'm leaving for a 3 day tomorrow then I'm done with short call commuting already. September is long call and October I transfer to my home base. drat I got lucky, I even got the trip I asked for so I'm not sitting at the JFK Hilton for 5 days on my own coin again.

Anyways, I'm actually posting to talk about food. At the end of my first month on the road I'm realizing how much money I'm spending on grub, especially now that a DoorDash fast food meal is guaranteed to be at least 25 bucks and restaurants aren't cheaper. I pack snacks that help but I'm thinking about getting a crew travel cooler to throw a couple meal prep meals in. I know flight attendants that do this but I was wondering if any of you goons do the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Rolo posted:

Know what's wild? I'm leaving for a 3 day tomorrow then I'm done with short call commuting already. September is long call and October I transfer to my home base. drat I got lucky, I even got the trip I asked for so I'm not sitting at the JFK Hilton for 5 days on my own coin again.

Anyways, I'm actually posting to talk about food. At the end of my first month on the road I'm realizing how much money I'm spending on grub, especially now that a DoorDash fast food meal is guaranteed to be at least 25 bucks and restaurants aren't cheaper. I pack snacks that help but I'm thinking about getting a crew travel cooler to throw a couple meal prep meals in. I know flight attendants that do this but I was wondering if any of you goons do the same.

When I was a poor regional FO, I packed sandwiches. I could fit 4 days worth of sandwiches in this thing along with one of these that I would refill with ice in the morning before leaving the hotel. It's not glamorous but I flew with a lot of captains who complained about how how much they were spending on food and having to go into the terminal to get some while I had my cooler behind me and could easily grab a sandwich at any point as long as we didn't have a jumpseater.