Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Frozen Peach posted:

I'm anti-sleeve. How many times does a game get played enough that you really wear out a copy?

I'm very much pro-sleeves, but that's mostly just because a couple of my 'main' board game friends are grots, sadly. (Great people, but my god they just can't help but get cards grubby and bent out of shape!)

Morpheus posted:

Card sleeve recommendations can be crapshoots for me, I always want to get the slimmest sleeves possible (KMC Perfect Fits are my fave), and whenever something recommends, like, FFG sleeves with huge margins on the sides I wrinkle my nose at them.

Gimme dem bespoke sleeves. Will I play the games more than a few times? How about shut uuuuup

Yeah, I used to get FFG cards back when I played X-Wing (as that was the time I decided to actually invest in sleeves) but they're just so damned thick and have such massive margins! I'm very glad I switched over to Mayday premium (not standard) sleeves after that, because they're so much better.
Thick enough that they don't go crinkly when you touch them like what happens with clingfilm-thick sleeves, but they're still thin enough that you can fit way more cards into the same space FFG-sleeved cards would fit. Plus their margins are much smaller, so it's a tighter fit. These days the only time I don't buy Mayday sleeves is if some rare/special card size needs sleeving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

djfooboo posted:

Would t want those near-indestructible waterproof cards getting damaged…

Ah, the "near-indestructible" Chip Theory cards. I sleeved Hoplomachus Victorum after playing one Act because a card got dinged. You shuffle the decks in HV once per game.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
I feel like I should probably sleeve my copy of Glory to Rome…

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
Yep I've been thinking about sleeving my Battlestar Galactica, since I have all the content and it still gets played a few times a year and will be very costly to reacquire. Maybe it's time to finally do it.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

:hmmyes:

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Radioactive Toy posted:

Yep I've been thinking about sleeving my Battlestar Galactica, since I have all the content and it still gets played a few times a year and will be very costly to reacquire. Maybe it's time to finally do it.

If you have the Broken Token organizer (I bought mine before the news about the owner broke), be aware you won’t be able to fit all sleeves cards in the base box. For me, that’s not a problem as there’s several rules/types of cards/superseded cards I never use (original Cylon leader goals, Final Five loyalty, allies, Cylon fleet attacks b/c of the fleet board, etc.).

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.

Admiralty Flag posted:

If you have the Broken Token organizer (I bought mine before the news about the owner broke), be aware you won’t be able to fit all sleeves cards in the base box. For me, that’s not a problem as there’s several rules/types of cards/superseded cards I never use (original Cylon leader goals, Final Five loyalty, allies, Cylon fleet attacks b/c of the fleet board, etc.).

Good to know. I do have that, but likewise am not planning on sleeving a lot of the junk.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I sleeve if a game gets a lot of play and it involves a lot of shuffling.

Now the real insanity is, that I try to make sure the same bags get used for the same components every time, which usually means leaving exactly one cube/meeple/mini in each bag, so they don’t get mixed up when we pack up.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Bummer. I got an email notice from Boardlandia that Resist! was back in stock and slammed that order button, but it turns out they had an inventory issue that caused a ton of stuff to flag as in stock in error.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Kazzah posted:

Now the real insanity is, that I try to make sure the same bags get used for the same components every time, which usually means leaving exactly one cube/meeple/mini in each bag, so they don’t get mixed up when we pack up.

Where bag shape/size is tied to optimal component storage, I label the bags with a permanent marker.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
I'm sleeving more than I used to, mainly because games are getting stupidly priced and sleeving is a lesser evil than the replacement cost. It's handy that some of these big all-in kickstarters are coming with sleeve set options now.

snickles
Mar 27, 2010
Received my unbreakable pledge and took it for a spin today. It’s my first Chip Theory product, bought into the kickstarter hype but so far only went for the unbreakable standalone.

I’ve played twice now with figment and got thoroughly beaten both times. So just some thoughts:

1. The rule book is awful. Information is scattered all over the place. There’s a ton of flipping back and forth to find things. Sometimes the font size changes (parenthetical) which makes it look kind of amateurish. I’ve read a lot of rulebooks, and I can’t remember the last time I had one that required so much back and forth and searching to figure out what should be fairly core concepts.
2. However nice I expected the game to be, production-wise, it exceeded my expectations. Everything is heavy and beautiful. It makes me want to buy more CT products just to hold in my hands.
3. I got crushed. Part of it is not knowing what to focus on with these characters. The impact of the skills, at least in solo, seems pretty meager. The character I used, Figment, was rated less challenging for solo play but most of his abilities don’t really seem to work well. Of course, in a short game I’m only able to train a handful of his skills, so probably not getting to experience his full potential yet.
4. As a corollary to 3, I think I’d like to have a character, at least to start with, who fields a more conventional and simple set of skills. That probably entails buying the base set, which is another big expenditure for a game I’m not sure I like.
5. Gosh, it’s so pretty.
6. I’m not a big fan of combat on square grids - it seems to really limit your tactical options in my opinion. I’m pleased to find this isn’t the case in this game. Even though it’s a small, 4x4 combat arena without much movement, combat is generally pretty interesting.

I backed the elder scrolls game that’s supposed to be released next year and this makes me feel pretty good about that decision.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
It boggles my mind that Chip Theory can have such terrible rulebooks when they pay so much attention and care to other aspects.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

snickles posted:

Received my unbreakable pledge and took it for a spin today. It’s my first Chip Theory product, bought into the kickstarter hype but so far only went for the unbreakable standalone.

I’ve played twice now with figment and got thoroughly beaten both times. So just some thoughts:

1. The rule book is awful. Information is scattered all over the place. There’s a ton of flipping back and forth to find things. Sometimes the font size changes (parenthetical) which makes it look kind of amateurish. I’ve read a lot of rulebooks, and I can’t remember the last time I had one that required so much back and forth and searching to figure out what should be fairly core concepts.
2. However nice I expected the game to be, production-wise, it exceeded my expectations. Everything is heavy and beautiful. It makes me want to buy more CT products just to hold in my hands.
3. I got crushed. Part of it is not knowing what to focus on with these characters. The impact of the skills, at least in solo, seems pretty meager. The character I used, Figment, was rated less challenging for solo play but most of his abilities don’t really seem to work well. Of course, in a short game I’m only able to train a handful of his skills, so probably not getting to experience his full potential yet.
4. As a corollary to 3, I think I’d like to have a character, at least to start with, who fields a more conventional and simple set of skills. That probably entails buying the base set, which is another big expenditure for a game I’m not sure I like.
5. Gosh, it’s so pretty.
6. I’m not a big fan of combat on square grids - it seems to really limit your tactical options in my opinion. I’m pleased to find this isn’t the case in this game. Even though it’s a small, 4x4 combat arena without much movement, combat is generally pretty interesting.

I backed the elder scrolls game that’s supposed to be released next year and this makes me feel pretty good about that decision.

And you'll get completely wrecked often anyway, it's basically a randomly-generated roguelike. Just play on baby difficulty.

Also, I don't think you play true solo unless there's something in Unbreakable I didn't read. It's usually two-handed.

The Eyes Have It posted:

It boggles my mind that Chip Theory can have such terrible rulebooks when they pay so much attention and care to other aspects.

Same, and they have like light novel story books and poo poo. You can get a tech writer to edit the rules for what, 10k?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
You have to care about the rules of your game to think about having an editor for your rulebook.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Impermanent posted:

You have to care about the rules of your game to think about having an editor for your rulebook.

I've seen complaints about every CTG rulebook except Hoplomachus Victorum, which is ironic because HV is the one that you never have to teach anyone else how to play.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

canyoneer posted:

My sleeve-a-game diagnosis looks like this:
1. How likely are these cards to show wear during normal gameplay?
2. How important is it that these cards do not show wear?
3. How unpleasant will it be to replace these?

This but also 'am I likely to play somewhere with filthy tables like the pub or the break room at work'

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

This but also 'am I likely to play somewhere with filthy tables like the pub or the break room at work'

Yeah I've sleeved Tussie Mussie because while it's a very cheap game I play it with my 7 year old at cafes.

snickles
Mar 27, 2010

PRADA SLUT posted:

And you'll get completely wrecked often anyway, it's basically a randomly-generated roguelike. Just play on baby difficulty.

Also, I don't think you play true solo unless there's something in Unbreakable I didn't read. It's usually two-handed.

There’s rules for one handed solo in unbreakable. Not sure how it is for the other games.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah I've sleeved Tussie Mussie because while it's a very cheap game I play it with my 7 year old at cafes.

The other thing none has discussed is varnishing components. I've varnished my set of skull because I play it in places with disguisting tables and it really matters if the cards get marked (and varnish is cheap)

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

PRADA SLUT posted:

You can get a tech writer to edit the rules for what, 10k?

They have a fan base that would happily do it for free, or for a copy of the game.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Wyrmwood Gaming has Chinatown in stock on sale.

We're pro Chinatown and anti-Wyrmwood, yeah?

https://wyrmwoodgaming.com/products/chinatown/

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Chinatown is out of print? You can't get it elsewhere?

Like most companies, it's management that fucks it up for Wyrmwood.
Doug and Bobby are very problematic.
The dudebro culture on their youtube channel, Wyrmlife, actively harms them.

Avoid using them if you can.
If you can't, I can at least vouch for the quality of their woodworking and customer support.
Expensive as gently caress tho

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

played My Father's Work for the first time. neat, but probably overbuilt for what it really is.

three player game took us four hours from sitdown to finish. I ended up winning at 108 points, after finishing my D project. second place was 102, with third at fifty something (rip)

pros
- components are satisfying
- easy to see how the engines work together
- fun to see the main board shift and change
- they nailed the theme

cons
- passing around an iphone so people can read secret junk mail blows
- the digital / physical split let some stuff through the cracks, we made about three unforced errors where we misread what was supposed to happen
- the last turn of the last generation a player soft locked due to resource shortages + the mob, so they just got to sit around for the final 20 minutes
- pretty swingy depending on if the experiments a player gets line up with the metagame

I'm glad I played it, but I don't think I'd go for it again unless I was with a crew that desperately needed me to fill a seat.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

chinatown is underwhelming imo. it’s simultaneously crunchy and chancy, in that a player can pretty readily calculate how much a particular bargain will make all parties but also it’s very possible to draw a hand of irrelevant tiles, irrelevant lots, or both, and be shut out of negotiation while other players faff about and make hundreds of thousands of dollars. also not a fan of the Oriental font all over the place. there are better trading games.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Just replayed Chinatown this weekend and it rules.

My only piece of advice is to set up a trade timer a la Civ or else the game will take too long.

It seems to come in and out of print lately?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

FulsomFrank posted:

Just replayed Chinatown this weekend and it rules.

My only piece of advice is to set up a trade timer a la Civ or else the game will take too long.

It seems to come in and out of print lately?

Repos is reimplementing is as Waterfall Park but I don't believe it is just a reskin. It looks like it's got some mechanical differences. I don't know if this means we can expect the original Chinatown to be retired or not. The Orientalism in Chinatown's themeing is certainly of its time (1999! almost 20 years old), but the idea of trading and competing over lots to open businesses makes more sense themed within in a dense ghetto than in an amusement park.

I would still really like to try it some day.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

dwarf74 posted:

Looks like No Rolls Barred is having a moment. Adam is on "disciplinary leave."

I only really know them from Blood on the Clocktower videos - but goddamn. They seem to still be in rear end-covering mode to some extent. Apparently this is also not the first time Adam has been accused of harassment. Maybe not even his second. Which makes you wonder why they kept him around even this long.

https://reddit.com/r/boardgames/s/HKk496fIxz

Zaphiel
Apr 20, 2006

Fun Shoe
Thanks to you Goons, I'm the proud owner of A Feast for Odin + The Norwegians. Is there any duplicate boards/etc that I can chuck?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Zaphiel posted:

Thanks to you Goons, I'm the proud owner of A Feast for Odin + The Norwegians. Is there any duplicate boards/etc that I can chuck?

The original action board that was all one piece isn't used anymore, but I didn't toss it, personally.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
drat, that really sucks, I love House Rules

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Oh goddammit.

NRB is really good, and Adam was such a big part of the draw.

I'm so loving tired of liking something, and then that person turns out to be a massive c***.

Molrok
May 30, 2011

Zaphiel posted:

I put the following parts to cold storage in the Norwegians box (you can fit the stuff from it to the AFFO box):
- the AFFO action board (replaced by the Norwegian one)
- the two "Imitate anothers player's action" tiltes (not used with the Norwegians actions board)
- the AFFO tile with the three spots for ships (replaced by the Norwegians one with four spots)
- the cards listed in the back of the AFFO rules book you should remove from play

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Infinitum posted:

Oh goddammit.

NRB is really good, and Adam was such a big part of the draw.

I'm so loving tired of liking something, and then that person turns out to be a massive c***.

:( :hf: :( Hey there "afraid to discover content creators suck" friendo.

I avoided watching NRB for the longest time because I try to not reward YouTube face (no judgement, it's tough out there). I saw multiple positive comments about them, then eventually decided to watch a video of some small game I had not heard of and enjoyed it. They're an interesting crew, so long as you can tolerate "improv people" if you know what I mean. Before today, I would have said that "If you want to show someone how fun board gaming is, these are the videos I would show them." They have high production and aimed for simpler games with understandable board states, and they had lots of fun with it. They are the closest successor to Wheaton's TableTop that I know of. Their BotC videos really showcase what people love about those games. Adam is certainly a personality and is quite central to the channel's identity as it stands today

I had zero idea about this person's previous behavior, but goon MadScientistWorking posted in the Industry Thread an article from nearly 6 years ago. https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-41764308. This is what I mean when I tell people that these bad actors get fat on people just not knowing. I hadn't heard a peep about this, but that works to his favor to cultivate a new fanbase.

Obviously, the uphill battle against this kind of awareness not entirely insidious. Part of this is just normal: I'd never heard of Colleen Ballinger or many other people before their accusations, because no matter how famous someone is or how omnipresent they seem, it is possible to have missed them. Tiny self-important nobodies who are somehow 'names' easily crawl to their next project because they can hide in the treads of the boot of internet shame. Part of it is also hopeful. When an organization is run by your friends, admirers or people who become them, they want to see the best in you and your changes. We now see any changes weren't permanent or real or whatever.

This is why we need to elevate credible allegations and share receipts. I am not so naive to say that I think any of this could actually have an effect on the actual abuse, except by very broad abstractions. Still, we could at least let people make the choice of their viewership armed with more information, so they would not be surprised or feel deceived. If you knew and dismissed it or chose to forgive, that is different than simply being blindsided. It's a microcosm of the Eklund thing. "Aw man, I bought High Frontier before I knew he was a fascist, wish I hadn't done that" has a similar texture but different scale to "I watched NRB, Adam was my favorite, I wish I knew his history before sharing that on my twitter 𝕏?."

We'll see if it sticks this time. The first accusation was very early in the #MeToo movement but the landscape is different now. In a practical sense, I think it will depend on how big this gets and how these groups are organized: Who are the officers of NRB and who can make decisions etc. We'll see, but I kind of hope he's just gone. It likely doesn't matter, since I probably won't watch anymore, at least not until we hear more.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Zaphiel posted:

Chuck? no no, you keep those components, put them in a little box and put them with the rest of the emptied expansion boxes, unneeded storage, and errata-d components in the growing stack in the closet where they will be safe.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I could never stand Adam in any of the videos. And I can't decide if Sully is worse or better, but boy does he stink, too!

More or less, I liked everyone else. Watched BOTC videos almost exclusively and Carly was a consistent favorite - as well as in a couple normal BG videos she was in.

Still, despite that I could never stand the two main cast members, it's the best BG channel on YT? Production value (lighting, especially, as compared to other channels I've seen) and organization was top-notch. Everything laid out well.

In a perfect world they'd hire an Adam-like, Sully has a tantrum and leaves, and the channel changes its name entirely.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah Carly is awesome. I watched her FH videos - really solid. She and her crew were... I guess independent campaign testers? for GH2e. They were separate from us regular testers to keep our biases out. They apparently had a blast, too.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

dwarf74 posted:

Yeah Carly is awesome. I watched her FH videos - really solid. She and her crew were... I guess independent campaign testers? for GH2e. They were separate from us regular testers to keep our biases out. They apparently had a blast, too.

She works (worked?) for the company that makes the official FH app (Lucky Duck). I would assume that's why her group helped out with 2e.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Want some free(ish) games? I will send the following games to you for cost of shipping only (I'm based in the UK though). Most of them appear in good condition but I can't guarantee if they are complete:

Spanish Eagles
Atlantic Chase (In shrink, not free)
Imperial Struggle
Rush MD
Unfathomable
Brass: Lancashire
Red Alert
Battle of Britain

DM me here or on discord if you are interested.

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Sep 12, 2023