Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I remember wrong, he said he looked it up and used Word of Radiance as a cantrip, which icked out the other players who only could attack once a turn.

I looked it up and the internet says it's 1d6 radiant damage to all targets in range, and costs an action, while his note says 1d4 and and costs a bonus action :confused:

5e tools also says 1d6 instead of 1d4. Apparently it´s been errataed.. where can I see all or most of the relevant errata changes in one place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Yeah that's a pbaoe cantrip. It's good if you're in melee with lots of small things but they each get a saving throw.

Generally d&d beyond will have the most current everything.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Also, I don’t believe that spell has ever been errata. Your player is just wrong.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Tias posted:

I remember wrong, he said he looked it up and used Word of Radiance as a cantrip, which icked out the other players who only could attack once a turn.

I looked it up and the internet says it's 1d6 radiant damage to all targets in range, and costs an action, while his note says 1d4 and and costs a bonus action :confused:

5e tools also says 1d6 instead of 1d4. Apparently it´s been errataed.. where can I see all or most of the relevant errata changes in one place?

I don’t remember it ever being different, so I’d ask your player where they found it before declaring it errata vs player error. Were you at least making the con saves for the targeted creatures, or were you literally just letting them nuke down everything in melee range with a totally busted spell?

There are pretty much no bonus action cantrips, off the top of my head I can only even think of shilelagh which is only a bonus action because the point is to imbue your weapon for making a regular attack action with your spell modifier instead of what’s most likely one of your dump stats as a caster.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Aug 21, 2023

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Great, thanks guys!

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

History Comes Inside! posted:

There are pretty much no bonus action cantrips, off the top of my head I can only even think of shilelagh which is only a bonus action because the point is to imbue your weapon for making a regular attack action with your spell modifier instead of what’s most likely one of your dump stats as a caster.

magic stone and shillelagh should be the only bonus action cantrips.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Grave clerics get spare the dying as a bonus action. And of course sorcerers can quicken anything.

Maybe the player confused word of radiance and healing word? Healing word is 1d4+casting stat and a bonus action, and a fairly similar name. Could see a new player accidentally merging those while taking notes.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

HOMOEROTIC JESUS posted:

Hot off the presses from today's D&D session:

My halfling assassin player, Marias, failed a critical roll and was grabbed by a giant recurring villain sharkman named "Charity". Last time that the players saw Charity, Marias threw a chamberpot on its face and stealth-kicked it down a humongous chasm, making some bad blood between the two. So, with an impossibly strong throw derived of pure vengeance, Charity hurled Marias a grand total of 760 ft into the air, and the sharkman took an inhuman jump to speedily meet Marias at apex of his flight. In its selachimorphic hands was a purple-black greatsword of Shar, and it readied a brutal attack from below. Marias calmed himself, loaded his rifle, and turned to aim at the sharkman as the pair approached their fated intersection.

So, here we were, high in the sky above an Abbey of Shar in the pouring rain, in the middle of the night, on a new moon. The new moon is when Shar's power is at its strongest, and thus her symbol, a blazing purple ring, was dominating the night as its sole astral body. The ring framed the moment in a dull, near-useless light. Neither of the two figures in the blackness worshipped Shar, though only one held a priceless piece of her arsenal.

We rolled initiative to decide who would strike first in the clash, and the sharkman won. But... I had a spontaneous, terrible idea and proceeded to offer my player the world's worst deal: we skip the usual boss fight. Instead, whoever hits their attack first instantly kills the other in an epic showdown. I made it clear that they could turn me down, and that Charity would go first, and that the deal altogether was probably a bad idea for them. However, the player loved the danger that the agreement would impose and accepted.

We rolled the dice and they landed as they did.

Marias, the halfling assassin, reached the apex of his flight, and aimed his rifle, barely able to make out the dark form of the monster soaring from below in the rain and darkness. His mind flashed through his training in the Navy Krakens - stay calm, keep it steady, and get the job done at any cost - and then, finally, Charity was in his rifle's iron sights. He was ready, and his killer's hands wouldn't miss this shot in a million years.

But, as he pulled the trigger, a flash of purple burst out of his gun's breach. No bullet escaped the barrel. A misfire! Charity flashed by, stinking of blood, and Marias saw his rifle slowly slide into pieces.

This is the story of how my PC was chopped into dozens of pieces by the 12-slice greatsword kata of a 15 ft. sharkman, hundreds of feet into the air on a new moon's storm under the unholy light of Shar. We had a tearful moment describing Marias' last thoughts and the inviting, heavenly cobbler shop that appeared before him as the light came to him. The very same cobbler shop back home which he was saving up money to buy. He entered the shop, and all his long lost friends in the Navy Krakens were there with him. It was finally time to join them.

This is not the end of the story though, as the party paladin had used Misty Step to land on top of Charity before it made its jump. That became its own set of ridulousness that ended with the paladin failing a banishing smite, trading her soul to the devil to kill the manshark, piecing Marias back together in midair, using revivify on him, and then, after all that, Marias hits the ground with enough force to instantly kill him a second time with no diamond or spell slots remaining. Marias' player was grinning the entire time. Anyway, everyone had an awesome time in the most outrageous way and I have no clue how I will live up to this in the future. We'll see what happens after the funeral next week.

This is epic and beautiful, and you should be proud of your group for doing D&D right.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Hey is there a good online repository for monsters & NPCs?

I'm convulsing trying to figure out how the monster manual is orgnaized

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Look when you need to cast revivify any diamond you can get is worth 500 gp to you right then right?
Y'all are thinking of value wrong. The entire economy is on a diamond standard with gold as the fiat currency. A gold coin is just 1/500th of a fixed diamond value.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Business Gorillas posted:

Hey is there a good online repository for monsters & NPCs?

I'm convulsing trying to figure out how the monster manual is orgnaized

For free? If you know the type, alignment, or key word then Kobold Fight Club is a great stepping point. Otherwise just googling "undead monsters by CR" or whatever is maybe your best bet. There is no good one stop shop for that info as far as I know.

If you are looking for a specific monster suggestion then your best bet is probably posting here.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Tias posted:

It's worth being aware if you and your players are new to D&D, you cannot trust every result you find on google. You'll find stuff out there that's been modified by someone as homebrew rules, if you google setting info you'll find wikis people set up for their private games that have non-canon elements in them, and you can even easily end up looking at reference documents for older editions of the game (especially 3rd edition which uses a lot of the same language and is labelled "d20 rules" which won't clue a new player in that they're looking at an older edition.

5e tools is reliable, but you do need to check your settings because it also has tons of homebrew and 3rd party content which is off by default but new players might not understand is unofficial. Wikidot is also pretty good, it sticks to the officially published material and the pages are comprehensive albeit hard to navigate. I've heard some people mention some errors with its content in the past but I've never seen any for myself. Danddwiki should not be trusted under any circumstances--it's pretty much just classes and features made up by randos who have no clue what they're doing.

EDIT: It's also totally reasonable for you as DM to restrict which sourcebooks players can use to build characters. If you are still learning the rules it's totally fine to ask players only to use content from the Players Handbook, and open things up only when you've had a chance to read through other books and confirm you're alright with them.

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Aug 21, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
A good wiki for setting info is the FR wiki on wikia, they try pretty hard to get things right.

e: and most things have citations so you can look them up for specific details if something seems off.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 21, 2023

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
When I prep for session, I always try to look over the party's character sheets to see what skills or items they have that they haven't had a chance to use recently, or new class features to show off. From there, I try to build encounters that give a PC a chance to shine. Monk gets a bunch more movement? Here's a puzzle boss that requires running around a lot. Or the monk can now catch arrows? Here's an encounter with some archers. Barbarian gets a throw anything ability? That'll be a great way to impress these giants in a social encounter.

My party was doing a side quest based on Lavender Town, and were about to explore the Pokemon Grave Tower. I tried packing in a ton of undead as the necromancy-obsessed cleric hadn't had much in the way of good opportunities to Turn Undead.

They never used it. They had encounters, mostly combat, on every floor of the tower, and the cleric never used it. At one point, I had the tortle hostage, Mr. Fuji, cry out, "There's too many undead, turn them!" and it still didn't click with the cleric. In fact, there is a good chance they would have wiped if the bard didn't go HAM and use up some consumables at the end.

At 2am that night, I get a random text from the cleric: "I didn't realize I had Turn Undead."

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Hahaha, "Why are there so many gosh darned undead around these days?"

Good for you to do stuff like that - it's exactly the sort of supportive DMing that should be celebrated.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Whenever my party levels up, I specifically have a pre-session "welcome to level X" group discussion about what they might have recently unlocked. It gives folks an opportunity to mention any multiclassing and helps them remember that they have new stuff, but it also lets the rest of the party know what they should reasonably expect from their party members. That being said, there is always going to be one player that does not remember a class feature, no matter how important it is or was, so you usually need a backup for when their memory fails them.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
It's okay to help players out occasionally if they're blanking on something you expected them to get. Something like a suggestion to the cleric "do you have anything on your character sheets which you think could help with this" would probably get them to look harder at their character sheet.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
The way I see it, the player character would know what abilities they have and what they're capable of, so for something like that I'll just straight up remind the players that they have an ability/spell.

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.

PeterWeller posted:

This is epic and beautiful, and you should be proud of your group for doing D&D right.

Thanks, it's really great to have a group that's down to clown for ridiculous, outre encounters. I am definitely proud of my players and the enthusiastic energy they're bringing each session <3

This makes it two different PCs I have killed in two different campaigns the last week, and both players loved it to death. in retrospect, I think the big things making the deaths work were 1) the threats were foreshadowed over several hours with player-visible clocks, 2) that players were explicitly told that death was potential outcome when those threats arose, and 3) the players explicitly chose the risk of death. I guess that communication and consent really are the secrets to doing D&D right, huh

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

A type of new magic item from the Phandelver book is being previewed. Metamagic items.

https://www.dndbeyond.com/posts/1555-mind-crystals-supercharge-your-spells-with-magic

Edit oh and the Gazeteer to Baldur’s Gate is free now
https://www.dndbeyond.com/claim/source/baldurs-gate-gazetteer

Yusin fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Aug 23, 2023

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame
Fun times in my last session. Our party are all level 8, and the DM introduced a deck of many things to us. One person is a total chaos junkie, so immediately drew 3 cards. He got the Sun, the star, and the knight, resulting in gaining a level (we do more milestone leveling), a pocket watch that can control a carnival (if we can find it), a +2 charisma boost (he is a warlock), and a knight that is following him around.

I mulled it over, while drinking a big stout, and then decided to draw 2 cards, getting the Jester and the key. So leveled up and got a dragon tooth dagger. After a bit more stout, and some chiding, I off handedly said, "I should pull 2 more", which my DM held me to: Moon and throne. Rolled a 6, so ended up with 3 wishes, and expertise in persuasion.

At this point, my DM warned me that if I even casually said, "I wish..." during our sessions going forward, that would count as one of my wishes. Just before we ended, I had drunkenly forgot that he warned me about that, and said, "Kinda sucks that two of us leveled up and got such cool stuff, and y'all didn't. I wish everyone in the party could get the benefits of the cards that were pulled."

At which point my wife (one of the party members), and the DM both yelled, "Wait, what?" And the DM confirmed that counted as one of my 3 wishes. Now he is trying to figure out exactly how to apply it, and how big of a monkey paw just got curled.

We play again in 3 weeks, and it will be interesting to see how this shakes out.

Sometimes my drunken impulses work out for good.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Am I doin it right? :shobon:

Projecting battlemaps onto the table is /such/ a game changer. Need to make several adjustments, and remove the paint on the angled mirror so I can use the rear side aka first-surface mirror and eliminate the ghosted double projection that the clear glass causes, but other than that my players loved it!

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I'm 2 seshes in to the Phandalin starter adventure with my group and it's going very well! :yaycat:

i think on sesh0 i was a bit too meta/handsy, i felt it, it still went fine but this session i was way more just behind the screen and invoked and counted on my vet players to make sure the new guys knew the possibilities they could undertake in/out of battle. i also kept more information to the chest, like health totals and AC. they sequence broke into the bugbear chamber and had to do that fight at level 1, so it was pretty rough, but we got through. the sorceror's attempt at igniting their campfire with a big magical bonfire as a surprise whiffed hard (i gave it a DC 15 and the entire room rolled 18+ lol)

biggest thing was to let go and let god w/r/t the VTT and information gathering/sharing, i got DNDBeyond and Roll20 talking to each other through Beyond20, and i'm making sure the characters know that the only thing that matters is their own record and understanding of what's going on, so keeping their sheets up to date or notes. i'm taking small notes, but not super comprehensive yet

got to award two inspo points to our halfling sorc and gnome ranger for tag teaming a goblin guard with charm and persuade/performance/goblin language (gnome ranger was born for this role) into thinking they were both cool via bugs bunny-esque performance, divulging intel about the lair, then letting Gobbro roll out and scamper away (he's definitely popping up later lol)

its crazy how fast time flies, dang, we got started fast this time and 3hrs just evaporated like nothing, i think my attention span might still be alive!

smarxist fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Aug 26, 2023

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
So I'm super afraid of accidentally metagaming so I would love some feedback on something I did recently.

My character is from deep in a forest. I found out a dragon was being sent to burn it down in retaliation for our groups meddling in their affairs. Someone asked my character what kind of dragon. My character didn't know so I asked the DM if my guy would know about dragons and the DM said yes in this world people generally know stuff about dragons. So I responded it was probably a red one. Was this over the line?

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
That seems fine. You guessed the answer and didn't know the info outside of your character.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Travic posted:

So I'm super afraid of accidentally metagaming so I would love some feedback on something I did recently.

My character is from deep in a forest. I found out a dragon was being sent to burn it down in retaliation for our groups meddling in their affairs. Someone asked my character what kind of dragon. My character didn't know so I asked the DM if my guy would know about dragons and the DM said yes in this world people generally know stuff about dragons. So I responded it was probably a red one. Was this over the line?

If a dragon is coming to burn something down, it's a very good bet it's a red dragon. Anybody who's grown up with any sort of dragon lore will know that. Your character would have to be deliberately ignorant not to know it.

So stop fretting about it. If dragons are around in your world, your character would almost certainly know more than you do about them.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Ok that makes me feel better. I guess I'm just over cautious about being a problem player and messing up the game. Thank you.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Travic posted:

There’s “good” metagaming and there’s “bad” metagaming.

Good metagaming is using your game knowledge to the benefit of the dm and the other players, or the game itself. Letting other players have the spotlight, taking risks because you know it’s more interesting, reminding a player they have something on their character sheet that could benefit the situation, making rational, mechanically advantageous decisions because they’re something your character would reasonably and realistically do. These are all examples of good metagaming.

Conversely, bad metagaming is using your game knowledge to get the upper hand on the dm and the other players, or the game itself. Making irrational in-game decisions because of out-of-character knowledge, stepping on other players’ scenes because you mechanically have the best abilities for the situation, backseating other players’ turns. These are examples of bad metagaming.

Good metagaming helps the flow of the game and benefits the game overall. It puts the game and the other players first. Bad metagaming puts you first, and while it may help other players in some mechanical sense, it tends to leave a bad taste in their mouths, like something just isn’t right.

What you did is probably what would be considered “good” metagaming. Harmless, gets the game moving in a specific direction, and it’s reasonable in-game knowledge.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Reminds me of the time I was playing a terrible, homebrewed Pokemon RPG made by a friend and I was scolded for spoiling that Arbok was a Pokemon because 'it doesn't live in this region'; all I'd said was 'I hope I get an Arbok at some point'. This is not addressed at you Travic but I will never understand people deciding to play a game and somehow trying their utmost to act as if it wasn't a game and cool monster entries aren't something you can read online or w/e. The incident I mentioned led my friend to re-set the game in a homebrew region with non-canon Pokemon and then forbid us from looking them up online at risk of being kicked from the game. Dude gets weird with Pokemon.

Azran fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Aug 27, 2023

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Verisimilidude posted:

There’s “good” metagaming and there’s “bad” metagaming.

Good metagaming is using your game knowledge to the benefit of the dm and the other players, or the game itself. Letting other players have the spotlight, taking risks because you know it’s more interesting, reminding a player they have something on their character sheet that could benefit the situation, making rational, mechanically advantageous decisions because they’re something your character would reasonably and realistically do. These are all examples of good metagaming.

Conversely, bad metagaming is using your game knowledge to get the upper hand on the dm and the other players, or the game itself. Making irrational in-game decisions because of out-of-character knowledge, stepping on other players’ scenes because you mechanically have the best abilities for the situation, backseating other players’ turns. These are examples of bad metagaming.

Good metagaming helps the flow of the game and benefits the game overall. It puts the game and the other players first. Bad metagaming puts you first, and while it may help other players in some mechanical sense, it tends to leave a bad taste in their mouths, like something just isn’t right.

What you did is probably what would be considered “good” metagaming. Harmless, gets the game moving in a specific direction, and it’s reasonable in-game knowledge.

Understood. Thank you.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Also, the way I'm reading it, you don't actually know what type of dragon it is when the DM told you your character possesses common knowledge about dragons so you're guessing just as much as your character is. I wouldn't consider it meta-gaming, good or bad, at all.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Heck, it could be a renegade gold dragon, but I think someone moderately versed in dragons would assume red

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Mr. Lobe posted:

Heck, it could be a renegade gold dragon, but I think someone moderately versed in dragons would assume red

Yes. Dragons are secretive so the 'common knowledge' about dragons would be stories about the times dragons decided to gently caress poo poo up and that would almost always be chromatic dragons.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Yeah I'd say color and folkloric knowledge (they hoard treasure, they have lairs, there are good and bad dragons, etc.) are fair game. Maybe also the relation between age and power

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
History and Nature checks can be a good way to settle “would my character know this” sort of questions.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
“Dungeons and… wait what are these giant lizard things?”

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Travic posted:

Also, if you had said "a fire dragon, obviously" you would have conveyed the same information to your party member while only using the information you already 100% knew. The color of the dragon is immaterial, you know that the dragon is there to burn things therefore it's in no way metagaming to guess it's a fire dragon. I don't think calling it a red dragon vs a fire dragon is material either, triply so with DM permission to know about dragons.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Aren't people way too wary about that whole character knowledge thing? IRL we have super widespread folklore and superstition about things that don't even exist, you'd think if the dragon color key was a scientifically verified fact, awareness of that would have spread to even the most backwater peasants a couple hundred years into idk Faerun's extremely long documented history. Same with setting trolls on fire or whatever else.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Vanadium posted:

Aren't people way too wary about that whole character knowledge thing? IRL we have super widespread folklore and superstition about things that don't even exist, you'd think if the dragon color key was a scientifically verified fact, awareness of that would have spread to even the most backwater peasants a couple hundred years into idk Faerun's extremely long documented history. Same with setting trolls on fire or whatever else.

Yeah, I think pretending that your character is a neophyte who has no idea how his own world works is pretty naive and silly.

While it's unlikely your character would have the totality of the Monster Manual memorized, it would be likely he'd have at least heard of most of the contents and some things about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Vanadium posted:

Yeah, dragon colours and what they mean is the sort of thing you'd expect to show up in a nursery rhyme, rather than some deep arcane secret. Something like:

White dragon white dragon, brings a summer snow,
Makes your dad an icicle, if he's caught below!
Black dragon black dragon, sour dripping teeth,
Melts your mum to bones if it sees her down beneath!
Green dragon green dragon, swooping down quick,
Breathes a cloud of poison and makes your granny sick!
Blue dragon blue dragon, circles like a hawk,
If it sees your granddad then he'll get a nasty shock!
Red dragon red dragon, burning down the land,
And it'll get you too if you don't watch where you stand!

My general rule of thumb is if it's a monster that appears in Earth folklore, the PCs can be safely assumed to have heard of it. Past that it's case by case, but at the end of the day if I want the PCs to not know what they're dealing with, it'll be a lot more fun for my players if they don't know what they're dealing with either. There's this huge wealth of third party sources for monsters out there my players won't have read, I can pull from there or I can just make something up.