Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

A.o.D. posted:

Isn't that an at least yearly occurrence in that region?

They’re not quite that common, but not that far off.

1994’s Northridge earthquake at 6.7 was a big deal. It killed sixty-one people and caused twenty billion dollars in damages.

2014’s La Habra at 5.1 is a “what?”. It killed no one and did only ten million in damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Then there was the 7.1 out by Ridgecrest in 2019 that didn't do much more than buckle roads in death valley and gently caress up the runways in China Lake.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
The timing is unfortunate with the tropical storm...

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

OddObserver posted:

The timing is unfortunate with the tropical storm...

The water will just drain down the new cracks in the ground, it'll be fine.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Platystemon posted:

They’re not quite that common, but not that far off.

1994’s Northridge earthquake at 6.7 was a big deal. It killed sixty-one people and caused twenty billion dollars in damages.

2014’s La Habra at 5.1 is a “what?”. It killed no one and did only ten million in damage.

Yeah, but with the logarithmic scale isn't a 5.1 2x more powerful than a 5? And a 6.7 700x stronger than a 5?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Add the smoke and wildfires in the PNW and it's just a little bitty taste of the end times.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Elviscat posted:

Add the smoke and wildfires in the PNW and it's just a little bitty taste of the end times.

Quick find John Cusak or The Rock, we need to get out of here.

Who will be the sacrificial "ex-wife's new love interest"?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

A.o.D. posted:

Yeah, but with the logarithmic scale isn't a 5.1 2x more powerful than a 5? And a 6.7 700x stronger than a 5?

It’s about 0.2 per doubling, but yes.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

4s and 5s happen, but what you feel of course depends on how close it is to you.

There was a 7.something several years ago 250 miles away or so from us, and the house didn’t shake so much as gently rolled like we were on the ocean. Made the chandeliers swing but nothing fell off the walls.

The biggest one I ever felt was only a 4.2, but the epicenter was only about four miles away from my house.

We live near a small airport, the Van Nuys airport. When that one started, my first, immediate thought was that a small plane had crashed into the house or right next to the house. The shaking and the noise was that loud.

Within a couple of seconds I knew what it was, and it was thankfully very short.

I have to confess, before the one today I was already a little concerned about what dumping huge amounts of water onto fault lines might do. But I don’t really know enough about that to guess.

All I can say is, we don’t need any more hurriquake action here right now.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

MrMojok posted:

4s and 5s happen, but what you feel of course depends on how close it is to you.

There was a 7.something several years ago 250 miles away or so from us, and the house didn’t shake so much as gently rolled like we were on the ocean. Made the chandeliers swing but nothing fell off the walls.

The biggest one I ever felt was only a 4.2, but the epicenter was only about four miles away from my house.

We live near a small airport, the Van Nuys airport. When that one started, my first, immediate thought was that a small plane had crashed into the house or right next to the house. The shaking and the noise was that loud.

Within a couple of seconds I knew what it was, and it was thankfully very short.

I have to confess, before the one today I was already a little concerned about what dumping huge amounts of water onto fault lines might do. But I don’t really know enough about that to guess.

All I can say is, we don’t need any more hurriquake action here right now.

It lubricates them!

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Seismic intensity scales like Japan's shindo scale are a lot more useful when discussing the impact of earthquakes than magnitude. These kind of scales give a number for each area that describes how much it actually shook there, rather than describing how much energy was released by an earthquake.

Using magnitude over seismic intensity is a bit like describing the total volume of water released by a storm rather than talking about how many inches/mm of water a specific location received. I don't know why seismic intensity scales aren't more popular.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

In addition the moment magnitude/richter scale only measures the amount of energy released by the earthquake, not the shaking felt at the surface which is measured separately on the mercalli intensity scale.

Basically this means a shallower earthquake can “bat above” its moment magnitude rating. (Terrain and composition matters too) For example that 2014 La Habra earthquake occurred directly under a built up area and had an area of peak intensity of VII which is usually associated earthquakes quakes around 6.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Discussion Quorum posted:

Sarah Huckabee Sanders is less than a year older than me, and while I am not exactly a paragon of youth, she looks ancient to me. The Stephen Miller effect is real.

She looks like a melted wax museum sculpture of Nurse Ratched.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1693380337986933148?t=tRT0ypUxxoZNZ-Xmb7191A&s=19

Your reminder that someone married this.

Voluntarily made a lifetime commitment.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

What's even the point then. Now I don't care if he goes to jail

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://twitter.com/abughazalehkat/status/1692703915467272240?t=9Qiwn8fhMRSjlwSAsrdrlg&s=35

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
That earthquake was near where I live and it was a big rip off it wasn't even off the coast so we didn't get a tsunami just some shaking and stuff. Lame.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/jdcapelouto/status/1693710998291509570?t=i59C7oDINlQgQmGDk3sG6Q&s=19

https://www.semafor.com/article/08/21/2023/trumps-bond-in-georgia-case-set-at-200000

Donnie's gonna violate these by the first debate (Wednesday), and possibly even by dinnertime.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

facialimpediment posted:

Donnie's gonna violate these by the first debate (Wednesday), and possibly even by dinnertime.

“If you’re a star, they let you do it.”

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Uhh, Trump said he’s noping out of the “debates.”

He’s gonna sit on the ticket while going through trial and completely loving undo the GOP so that now it’s gonna be Dark Brandon that kicks off the Sino-American war.

I’m so glad I’m both too old and my kid is gonna be too young to fight hyper war or wtf ever we kick off in 2025-6.

:dance:

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/RiverTamYDN/status/1693626391244255308?s=20

Better get Columbo on this tough case

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I don’t like Haberman, but I wouldn’t wish her job upon my worst enemy.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Is there anything in there telling him he can't run his mouth about anyone on the prosecution? Because :munch:, if so.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

CBJSprague24 posted:

Is there anything in there telling him he can't run his mouth about anyone on the prosecution? Because :munch:, if so.

Probably not, that's likely core 1st amendment speech. The veiled threats wouldn't be, but "the prosecutor/government/satanist democrats are out to get me!" is clear cut first amendment stuff.

But, per CNN, Donnie is turning himself in on Thursday, probably to blunt the Wednesday debate talk. Should know his true weight Thursday night or sometime Friday. I personally guessed 320.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m telling you, it’s not one pound under three hundred and fifty.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I'll take 369

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

drat she fine. Hopin that she'll sock it to me one more time.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
remember though if you're aiming high, he's probably lying about his height too

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/MattBinder/status/1693475329690464590?t=H5R2eWjdocHAA_HPMBRoWw&s=19

bengy81
May 8, 2010

He's flying a million miles an hour on some sort of upper. I guess he's really just a cut rate trump wannabe.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

bengy81 posted:

He's flying a million miles an hour on some sort of upper. I guess he's really just a cut rate trump wannabe.

Someone got into the Panzerschokolade

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

I don't know if I've ever seen someone actually grinding their teeth back and forth like a literal cartoon before. Gonna be a nice payday for his dentist at least.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
There is a fantastic video of John Stamos coked out of his gourd at a Bob Saget thing from right after he died.

Don Jr has some pretty wild face ticks when he's high too.
For the life of me, I can't find it tonight, but it's out there.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

:lmao: if he ends actually tries to make a run for it.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I don't know why I doubted that was real (it is). I should know better.

It's kind of funny; I really wonder what impact him not returning to Twitter had on his reach. Obviously by this point it's not quite as big of a deal (mostly because of Twitter imploding and a lot of things happening), but you do have to wonder. It feels like his constant turds on TRUTH!™ aren't quite as wide-reaching.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Trump self‐exiling to Russia would be the funniest loving thing.

I might go out like Chrysippus.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Handsome Ralph posted:

Can the DA present these social media turd nuggets to the judge to get them to revoke bail?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Handsome Ralph posted:

What is he even trying to say?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

What is he even trying to say?

"How the gently caress am I going to leave the country? In my 757 with "TRUMP" painted on the side in giant gold letters? Oh, I'll just fly commercial, I'm sure no one will notice the fattest, stupidest president in US history with a bad comb-over trying to wedge his bediapered rear end into an economy seat.

Where would I even go? Russia to hang out with Vlad?"

It's not a terrible point and kinda funny, as much as I don't want to hand it to Donnie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

By trump standards it's almost cogent and yet tehre is no doubt that is obviously him. Remarkable