Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Carpator Diei posted:

Violence
“Fill their dreams with your unbridled wrath”
Replaces Innate Power Spirits May Yet Dream

Setup: Gain 1 Energy. Replace Dreams of the Dahan with Bats Scout for Raids by Darkness (Minor Power)

Special Rule:
Nightmares of Violence and Death
Card Plays on your bottom Presence track grant twice as many Plays during the Spirit Phase. These extra Card Plays can only be used for Power Cards with Damage or Destroy instructions.
When To Dream A Thousand Deaths generates Fear, generate +1 Fear per affected Explorer / Town (to 1/3/5 Fear for Explorer/Town/City, respectively).

----------------

Enticing
“More dreams, fewer nightmares”
Replaces Innate Power Night Terrors

Innate Power:
Enticing and Lulling Dreams
Speed: Fast | Range: 1 from Presence | Target Land: Any

2 Moon, 1 Air: Each Invader/Dahan does -1 Damage while in target land.

2 Moon, 2 Animal: Gather up to 1 Explorers / Towns.

3 Moon, 2 Air, 1 Animal: Each Invader / Dahan does -1 Damage while in target land.

4 Moon, 3 Air, 2 Animal: Gather up to 4 Explorers / Towns.

I should probably try one of those at some point, but I'd rather play Breath of Darkness tbh. BODAN has the better acronym but BODDYS is just too cool, and I think one of the strongest fear spirits to date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
BODDYS is great but what's even better is a BODDYS + BODAN game. Suplex the fear deck.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Downpour Drenches the World be like

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I played Breath of Darkness Down Your Spine tonight (vs lvl 4 Hapsburg Mining) and I liked it, but it felt like the adversary overshadowed the abduction mechanic a bit with how many explorers it shits out. I did pull a clutch major to counter the tempo swing of the mining card though.

Anyway the exciting thing was my play partner taught me an absolutely cursed way to fit everything in the boxes and I love it for an interim till i figure a better big plastic storage box (gently caress those wood inserts)

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Everything released thus far, with one exception, fits into a Plano 3700. That’s my go to storage for big games.

The only exception is the big custom adversary board.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Are you talking about just the bits and then putting the boards in the box? I want a one box solution that holds everything, not have several disconnected bins

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I keep mine loose in a tote box along with most of the mage knight components and my Pokémon cards.

1secondpersecond
Nov 12, 2008

Fellis posted:

Are you talking about just the bits and then putting the boards in the box? I want a one box solution that holds everything, not have several disconnected bins

It definitely all fits in a Plano 135430. Boards and large cards in the top, take one of the storage trays out of the front and put the cards where it goes, fill the other storage trays with the pieces.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Fellis posted:

I'm sorry. The Plano 3700 is the model of the individual trays. The actual large tackle box I use is the Plano 137401.
https://www.amazon.com/Plano-1374-R...86589011&sr=8-9

I have base game and all expansions in there with plenty of room to space. I still have an entire tray empty for future tokens/cards, and the top can hold 5-10 more spirit boards easily.

Honestly, I'll probably run out of space for spirit boards before anything else. I probably couldn't fit another Jagged Earth-sized expansion of spirits unless I splurged on the thin foil spirit boards to save some space.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

No worries! I figured there was a piece of missing info when I googled it. I bet you could cut away the inner plastic walls of one of the container planos and stick a good few spirit boards in there as well.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Fellis posted:

No worries! I figured there was a piece of missing info when I googled it. I bet you could cut away the inner plastic walls of one of the container planos and stick a good few spirit boards in there as well.

Oh, absolutely.

There also may be a tray that just doesn't have built-in pieces, or has fewer built-in pieces, to make it easier.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
The Spirit boards are the real pain point when it comes to storage. Too big to fit more than a single stack of them in a box, and with the thick horizons boards the stack is now taller than a box, bringing the dreaded specter of lid lift. But I noticed that they were exactly as tall as two boxes, so I went and did this:

Oh gently caress.

ShimmyGuy
Jan 12, 2008

One morning, Shimmy awoke to find he was a awesome shiny bug.
Played a 6 player game over the weekend and that got me thinking. What spirit would do best at just trying to uplift the other spirits the most at the table? Always grabbing the target other spirit spells for example, though you never know if you will draw them.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Finder or Green are always welcome. The former for letting the others reach weird places and the latter for accelerating growth.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Fractured Days is also a great support spirit. Throw around extra plays and reclaims and also you get a nice little sideboard to poach support powers from.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
All I see is 6 boards with oceans, and wouldn't it be nice if invaders ended up in them?

1secondpersecond
Nov 12, 2008

BODDYS is a surprisingly good support spirit paired with a spirit limited by reach/mobility. It can abduct presence from Ember Eyed Behemoth or Keeper of Forbidden Wilds and toss it out to create a sacred site anywhere it can reach.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Bringer of Dreams and Nightmares's ability to turn fear cards face-up effectively has its benefit multiplied by the number of players/boards.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Serpent Slumbering is a top-tier support spirit with the added benefit that at the end of the game you get to go kablooie

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Question I have been playing serpent on low difficulty runs, how does one, "awaken"? Does that mean getting to the final presence tracks for 5 plays reclaim and 12 energy a turn? If so how? Does that tend to only happen in high difficult games, or do you have to rush serpent innates to play 2 presence a turn to unlock the end game buffs?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

"Awakening" isn't really a mechanical thing for Serpent, although the usual point where people determine that he is "awakened" is when you manage to put down the presence from the two coinciding lines, because any space after that is extremely powerful in terms of energy gain/plays.

blindidiotgod
Jan 9, 2005

Played a game over the weekend where we went up against Hapsburg Miners at something trivial like level 2, and I piloted the new Ember-eyed Behemoth.
The behemoth incarna just stomps around the place doing incredible damage and generating a bit of fear. Had one nasty blight cascade but kept it under wraps after that.

Next time I plan on playing the new fear spirit or Shroud with the new aspect.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Behemoth is incredibly good, cool and my friend. He lets me ride and everything

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
Wandering Voice is definitely my favorite spirit this expansion, but Behemoth might be the best turn-brain-off-and-smash spirit.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I am really enjoying relentless gaze, which is surprising for me because I tend not to gravitate towards big damage spirits. I just love the protoss colossus sound effect that plays in my head each time I blow something up with it.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Been messing around with the app at work and I have no idea how Sun Bright Whirlwind handles England or probably France at high difficulty (around 7). Prussia and Sweden I could stall preventing ravages or builds and eventually get a good major and/or hit with my powered up innate, but England just builds way too much and explorer hate is useless

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Annointed posted:

Question I have been playing serpent on low difficulty runs, how does one, "awaken"? Does that mean getting to the final presence tracks for 5 plays reclaim and 12 energy a turn? If so how? Does that tend to only happen in high difficult games, or do you have to rush serpent innates to play 2 presence a turn to unlock the end game buffs?
The extra-presence Innate is indeed extremely important; it's what you'll really want to aim for when picking Powers. In fact, I'd say the damage Innate is almost a bit of a trap: The first two stages aren't all that good in the early game, and once you're at a point where you have the elements and energy to activate the final stage you've usually already won anyway.
If you're playing Serpent solo, Elemental Aegis solves a whole lot of your problems and buys you time to get your presence on the field.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I've rarely played this game true solo (if I play alone it's two handed) and Serpent's always 'awakened' which, imo, is when you cross their crux point. If someone is playing a spirit who can accelerate growth we usually prioritize Serpent because the power spike is really notable.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
I played my first game with Relentless Gaze of the Sun and gained a real appreciation for what a cool ability Consider a Harmonious Nature is by never activating any of it once. Burn it all down.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Poopy Palpy posted:

I played my first game with Relentless Gaze of the Sun and gained a real appreciation for what a cool ability Consider a Harmonious Nature is by never activating any of it once. Burn it all down.

THE SUN IS A DEADLY LASER

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

I played my first game as Dances Up Earthquakes and loved it so much I wanted to play it again immediately. I decided to try a solo game against England 6 (I don't usually play solo games, or adversaries as hard as England 6, or England much in general) because it seemed like Dances Up Earthquakes would have a good matchup against it. Ended up winning by a pure Fear victory with seven unresolved Fear cards earned.

This might be my new favorite spirit. They seem strong and fun, they're not as hard to play as they seem but they make you feel clever when things line up anyhow.

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

DUE is probably a slight design mistake. The Very High complexity spirits have a rather high power level to make up for that, and DUE being rather more straightforward in practice means you get ready access to that extra power without jumping through as many hoops.

1secondpersecond
Nov 12, 2008

LupusAter posted:

DUE is probably a slight design mistake. The Very High complexity spirits have a rather high power level to make up for that, and DUE being rather more straightforward in practice means you get ready access to that extra power without jumping through as many hoops.

I'd be interested to see somebody with very little experience play DUE, and how they'd do. I suspect there's an implicit level of system mastery that those of us who post in this thread a lot have that makes DUE click.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
DUE takes so much mental effort for me to play that I'll win the game and I'll still feel like I made too many mistakes for it to have been an accomplishment. Was that the right major to draft? It cleared the board but maybe the other one would have covered more edge cases. Did I use the quake tokens as efficiently as possible? Well, there was some wasted damage, and I wouldn't have gotten that blight cascade if I went this way with them instead of that way. I don't play the spirit often for this reason.

Ryan Lackey made an SI video called The Power of Doing Nothing, and DUE is hard for me partly because you have to internalize this lesson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvpewhJQjBM

You don't have dead turns exactly, but it can sure feel like it. I don't have the patience for this.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Got to teach a new player. We won against L1 France with Breath of Darkness Down Your Spine and Lightning's Swift Strike. Me as Breath of Darkness and the newbie as Lightning.

I like Breath of Darkness, but France was the wrong Adversary to play against for that particular gimmick. Double explorers on non-town / city locations made controlling explorer expansion through abduction almost impossible. The upside was I grabbed the black hole major, and used Breath's card plays into energy to just drop nukes like it was going out of business. Not a strategy I think I'll be able to repeat easily. Fun to play an explorer-killer like a Major generator.

Either way I like BoD's gimmick, very spooky. robust starting cards. what's not to like?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I call that concept something else, where you dump a turn to gain a lot of momentum for future turns. Quake is really emblematic of that playstyle.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I'm not sure I agree with the idea that higher complexity spirits are better. A properly played Lightning's Swift Strike just wrecks the board, and River is better than most medium complexity spirits in my experience.

What I've seen is that people rarely go back to easy spirits once they've mastered the basics, so their memory of them is much worse than they actually are.

I get pretty bad brainfog due to a medical condition, so I really appreciate being able to grab a low complexity spirit (other than pre-aspect shadow, obviously) and wreck face without making things worse for everyone else at the table by playing a spirit that is weak.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Complexity was never supposed to be an indicator of power. All the spirits can and do bring a ton of power to bear.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Thunderspeaker is bae. Complexity is for nerds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I like playing my cozy, endless green. No think just stop people from playing anything ramp out of control and blow up stuff with mortars and dahan counterattacks protected by innate protection