Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

The US Space Force Space Base Delta Seven, which as it turns out is a hole in the ground in Colorado filled with feces

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

More like cholerado

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

The Oldest Man posted:

The US Space Force Space Base Delta Seven, which as it turns out is a hole in the ground in Colorado filled with feces

Moon base eagle alpha prime is going to follow the same construction layout.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

The Oldest Man posted:

It's this one because it's functionally the same thing as that batman giving the thumbs up and then flying into the wtc meme but without a hint of irony

yep. it's incredible

the more i think about it the more pissed i get that the dutch windmill one doesn't have a windmill on fire in the back ground though

Frosted Flake posted:

We're going to see a lot more of this one in the next months

it's gonna be cool for everyone to become an expert on chinese weapons systems and political/military structure

Cuttlefush has issued a correction as of 02:37 on Aug 21, 2023

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
this discussion of the space force got me wondering if the space force actually has any astronauts in it, and I suspected the answer was 'no', so I looked it up, and I was wrong! there are in fact astronauts who are commissioned in the Space Force. there are two

none of the four active-duty military guys selected as astronauts in the time since Space Force was formed were members of Space Force, although two of them are in the Air Force, lmao

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
It's Jon McNaughton but for the MIC

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Cuttlefush posted:

hard to pick a fave

The Apache's over the Netherlands is mine because I assume they're their freeing American war criminals

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

KomradeX posted:

The Apache's over the Netherlands is mine because I assume they're their freeing American war criminals

netherlands actually has 30 apaches or something so i think that's just to commemorate that sale or more recent updgrades, unfortunately

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Cuttlefush posted:

netherlands actually has 30 apaches or something so i think that's just to commemorate that sale or more recent updgrades, unfortunately

just in time to hand over to ukraine

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm kinda surprised the invincible apache hasn't made the wunderwaffen list considering it's literally designed to blow up Russian tanks and is a lot cheaper than f16's. The situation for attack choppers must be absolutely dire for them to not even ask

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Apaches didn't make the cut because Ukraine already had gunships and they know what happened to them

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

mRNA COVID vaccines .... wunderwaffen?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Apaches didn't make the cut because Ukraine already had gunships and they know what happened to them

Ukraine also had an air force and we saw what happened to it.

Hey did you hear the US has hyper sonic weapons

US Navy destroyer to be fitted with hypersonic missiles

quote:

The USS Zumwalt has previously been criticized by media outlets, such as the Huffington Post, for the enormous cost invested in the ship and by Business Insider for various technical issues the destroyer has encountered. 

However, the latter issue is set to be addressed.

USNI News reported that the twin 155 mm Advanced Gun Systems on board will be replaced with four 87-inch missile tubes, each tube containing three Common Hypersonic Glide Bodies (C-HGB).

The Navy is looking to have the weapons installed and the ship deployable by 2025.

USNI quoted Vice Admiral Johnny Wolfe as saying, “We’re talking about deploying this system on DDG-1000 in 2025, that’s three years from now.” 

The Government Accountability Office, however, has reportedly questioned that timeline and suggested that it may be even longer before the ship is ready to deploy.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

The Oldest Man posted:

that hole has a name. its Colorado Springs.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Wait so they are not going to retire the Zumwalt? They are going to make very powerful photoshop composite "paintings".

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

KomradeX posted:

Ukraine also had an air force and we saw what happened to it.

Hey did you hear the US has hyper sonic weapons

US Navy destroyer to be fitted with hypersonic missiles

Pfft the US has laser weapons already! They just haven't seen fit to widely deploy them, for uh, reasons.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Slavvy posted:

I'm kinda surprised the invincible apache hasn't made the wunderwaffen list considering it's literally designed to blow up Russian tanks and is a lot cheaper than f16's. The situation for attack choppers must be absolutely dire for them to not even ask

I've seen it mentioned in a few books that the one that was shot down in 2003 and paraded through Baghdad actually hurt export sales.

I barely remember it, I don't think losing a helicopter is a big deal, but apparently it was damaging in some vague PR sense. Enough that Comanche was cancelled the following year as well.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Frosted Flake posted:

Enough that Comanche was cancelled the following year as well.

The Comanche was cancelled because it cost a gajillion dollars and didn’t do that much more than an Apache, not because an Apache got shot down.

Instead, the US continued new production and fielding of upgraded Apaches.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
apaches got the neck trauma inducing sensor helmets and the special soar helicopters got all the stealth poo poo (and crashed lol)

and everyone got some good games out of it

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Frosted Flake posted:

I've seen it mentioned in a few books that the one that was shot down in 2003 and paraded through Baghdad actually hurt export sales.

I barely remember it, I don't think losing a helicopter is a big deal, but apparently it was damaging in some vague PR sense. Enough that Comanche was cancelled the following year as well.

Didn't India cancelled their Ka helicopter orders last year? I don't know how much KA was shot down before India cancelled the deal.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah the Comanche was cool as hell in the Novalogic games

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

stephenthinkpad posted:

Didn't India cancelled their Ka helicopter orders last year? I don't know how much KA was shot down before India cancelled the deal.

those were ka-31, not ka-52s. i dont think one has ever been shot down. i think india also didnt buy some ka-52s though years back

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

I remember the big thing about that was it had been shot down by dudes shooting it with their AKs. Which after 10 years of presenting it as a flying tank would obviously be hurt by that

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Helicopters are great against people who lack 1940s or later technology to return fire.

Which is a surprisingly large number of people owing to capability erosion.

Edit - or in typical modern procurement the stockpile has X platforms and only enough ammo to last 1-3 days of operations, with a lead time of years if they try ordering more ammo from a boutique overseas factory.

DancingShade has issued a correction as of 04:01 on Aug 22, 2023

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

DancingShade posted:

Helicopters are great against people who lack 1940s or later technology to return fire.

Which is a surprisingly large number of people owing to capability erosion.

i too have seen multiple videos of alligators hunting without being accosted by return fire

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
They can do damage, but not when they are being thrown into AD. The KA-52s do fine if they have at least a few kms between them and the front line, but one got recently got taken out by a MANPAD when it pushed too far up.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Ardennes posted:

They can do damage, but not when they are being thrown into AD. The KA-52s do fine if they have at least a few kms between them and the front line, but one got recently got taken out by a MANPAD when it pushed too far up.

Hmm.. powerful weapons... that are effective against advancing troops... but themselves are not capable of advancing into an intact defense without immediately being destroyed...

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

A tank destroyer!?

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Ardennes posted:

I wonder how large the engagement envelope is.

Looks like they've got maybe 2-3km to play with, where their missile can reach but they're out of range for most light anti air

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

The Oldest Man posted:

Hmm.. powerful weapons... that are effective against advancing troops... but themselves are not capable of advancing into an intact defense without immediately being destroyed...

Danann posted:

A tank destroyer!?

A fixed emplacement turret. Formed into some kind of line perhaps. Works like magic. Nah. Magic. Magic... maginot. A maginot line if you will.

Just don't leave the side gate open. That's a whoopsie.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Danann posted:

A tank destroyer!?

Genuinely, yes. Following US WW2 tank destroyer doctrine is actually a really good use of helicopters.

The West just has convinced itself they are good for assault because the last time they faced an enemy with real air defence was probably Vietnam. I guess you could count Yugoslavia, but the air defence in Yugoslavia was enough that Apaches weren't deployed.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Me flying the super ultra mega air assault heli murder machine 2000 loaded with every ordinance invented that costs an even billion per unit.

Radio to base: Uh control small child spotted with slingshot, returning to base.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yeah the Comanche was cool as hell in the Novalogic games

back in my day we called it the LHX and thinking about it more I think the apache was still better in that game

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

Genuinely, yes. Following US WW2 tank destroyer doctrine is actually a really good use of helicopters.

The West just has convinced itself they are good for assault because the last time they faced an enemy with real air defence was probably Vietnam. I guess you could count Yugoslavia, but the air defence in Yugoslavia was enough that Apaches weren't deployed.

It's because "defense helicopter" doesn't sound as kick-rear end as "attack helicopter" op

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

That's true, nobody is going to call a game Desert Hold when they can call it Desert Strike.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Hmm, what if someone just put all of a helicopter's weapons up on a huge construction crane? They can go up 1000 ft and hold 720 tons, probably a lot cheaper than a helicopter too.
Possibly not as mobile.
Hell, you could put 70 or 80 howitzers on one of those bad boys but I could see the firing of those being a problem for the crane staying upright

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Hatebag posted:

Hmm, what if someone just put all of a helicopter's weapons up on a huge construction crane? They can go up 1000 ft and hold 720 tons, probably a lot cheaper than a helicopter too.
Possibly not as mobile.
Hell, you could put 70 or 80 howitzers on one of those bad boys but I could see the firing of those being a problem for the crane staying upright

just fire in all directions at once to keep the forces balanced

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

just fire in all directions at once to keep the forces balanced

smart!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Recoilless rifle gantry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

DancingShade posted:

Watch it actually be downsizing from a dozen agile platforms to 2-3 fat whales. Only 1 seaworthy at any given time. Rule Britannia.

Their mission? To do lazy figure 8s in the north sea until they rust out.

Sounds like the reason is so they can use US nukes.

Really our vassals shouldn't have nukes, when you think about it.