Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

FMguru posted:

Coming to an AITA near you:

This made me laugh too hard to sit at the bottom of the page :rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
That awful person who was upset that the nerdy stepsister she loathed was refusing to pay for her $100k dream wedding out of her pocket updated!

UPDATE: AITA for expecting my very rich sister to pitch in on my wedding after she said she would?

quote:

Obviously none of you value family. One of you felt the need to track down Ellie and send her the post, which was unnecessary and cruel. She text me this yesterday morning with this:

Hey, someone sent me your reddit post. I am still processing all the things you said about me. I knew you didn’t care for me and I knew you resented me when we were kids - I didn’t know you were capable of denigrating my character to that extent. I have never done anything but treat you like a sister. Using my real name? All my personal information? To the extent that someone could google me and track me down that easily? You know I’m a private person. What if someone from work sees it? What if loving anyone sees it? I left a comment in anger but I deleted it, I cannot believe you would make this so public and I should not be stooping to your level. As for the wedding, you’re on your own. I am not paying for anything, attending, or participating in any way. I do not deserve any of this. I’m blocking your number and I would appreciate if you didn’t try to contact me through other means. I’ve told Dad that if he wants to see me again he can come visit me, ideally we will not see each other again.

I talked to my fiance, and told him through tears what Ellie had done. Even HE turned on me. He started screaming at me about how I shouldnt have asked Ellie and how I didnt tell him during the planning that she was paying for it. I tried to explain to him but he wouldnt stop screaming at me. He called me names, screamed at me while i was already crying and then left.

She has everyone wrapped around her finger, shes so manipulative I dont know who I can even turn to right now because she has them all convinced shes so perfect. My mom is the only one I can trust right now. Ive gone to stay with her for a while. Ellie has been ruining my life since I was 17 and now shes managed to ruin my relationship. I cannot believe you people have sided with her when all shes ever done is destroy my life. She’s off in a whole other state and once again is facing no consequences to her actions. I found her work email online from a thing she published and messaged her. She still hasnt responded but I will let you all know when she does.
Stories where dramatic things happen in real time in updates always get my Creative Writing Exercise antennae twitching, but there it is.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
With no Jerry Springer to structure chanting the world does creative writing online

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
"Obviously none of you value family, and by family I mean me. Why am I facing consequences for my assholery?!"

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

FMguru posted:

They have baby clothes in a supermarket? I've found some weird items at Safeway but never baby clothes.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

quantumwell posted:

They have baby clothes in a supermarket? I've found some weird items at Safeway but never baby clothes.

Wal-Marts and Meijers and Targets do - Though I'm not sure why someone would call them 'the supermarket' and not just the store name

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

FMguru posted:

Lmao

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

AITA for telling kids the truth about death?

quote:

I (27X) work at a children's museum as an educator. We have an animal collection mostly consisting of snakes. We raise mice and rats to feed the snakes. I take care of the animals some days of the week (cleaning tanks, changing water, etc).

Today, my coworker (late 20s, F) was leading small groups of campers (7-8, assorted) on tours of the animal care back room while I was doing tasks. I was offering fun facts and generally being friendly while working.

Some campers asked "do you wait for the mice and rats to die before you feed them?" And my coworker said "yes, we do". This is of course a lie, it would be ridiculously inefficient and also dangerous to the animals eating them. I made a noise and gave her a side-eye, and she was like "OP, they're only in second grade". I didn't push it in front of the kids and let her finish the tour.

I've gotten that same question before, and I've always told kids the truth. I knew about the food chain at that age, and I don't see the value in lying to kids in a way that's just going to make them more upset later on when they find out the truth.

AITA for being frank about death and the food chain to children?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
As much as we all know that telling someone to calm down, it's pretty much throwing gas on a fire, we've also seen plenty of instances where pregnant women really do need to take some chill pills so your mileage may vary.

WIBTA if I ask/demand someone help pay for damage to my car caused by them omitting information about their property

quote:

So my husband and I currently do work exchange work full time. I'll give a short description for those that don't know what that is.

Basically we go to someone's farm/home and we do 25hrs each of work per week and they let us live on the property and provide basic groceries.

So we set up a gig with this guy, Richey. Prior to agreeing to work we had an interview where we all asked questions, clarified what the property is like, overall quality of the living space etc.

Everything sounded great on both ends, we've done this tons of times already, so we agree and show up on Friday. The home owner is a nice guy, we do some work together, everything's good.

In the little welcome pamphlet we had in our living quarters, we flip through and there is a page about packrats. It says something along the lines of "We have packrats here, sometimes they can get into your car, but as long as you start it and drive it at least once a week it's fine."

We end up asking him more about that later the same day and he talks about it like it's no big deal but says we can mail order ourselves some little rat deterrent beepers if we think we need them.

Come Sunday, my husband drives to the store, and suddenly the dashboard lights up like a Christmas tree and the car starts driving weird. He calls a local mechanic, they open up the hood, and there is a basketball sized packrat nest in the engine.

They chewed up a bunch of our wires. The mechanic patched a few things, all the lights came back on a few hours later, so they're here working on the car again and think the damage might be pretty extensive from the wire chewing.

We brought up the situation to the home owner and all he said was "Ah man, that really sucks." Nothing else.

My issue here is that something like this needed to be disclosed before we arrive at the property. If we knew ahead of time we could have shown up with some deterrents and maybe this wouldn't have happened. And if it did happen even after we used deterrents, that's fully on us as it was a known risk.

We've only been here 2 days before they chewed up our drat car, and that 2 days of knowing was clearly not enough time for us to do something about it before it became a huge expensive issue. And come to find out it seems like the property is borderline infested with packrats.

If the repair costs end up being over 1k we're planning on asking Richey to help pay for some of it. That's the kind of thing you need to warn someone about before they come volunteer their time at your property. To me, that's negligence and not accurately portraying the working/living situation someone is signing up for.

TLDR: We are volunteering on someone's property. The property owner failed to tell us about the packrat issue prior to use arriving. Packrats chewed up our car wires within 48hrs. We want to ask him to help pay for a portion of the damages.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
No good deed goes unpunished.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Packrats are an animal that exists in reality, and are not just a colorful metaphor? :psyduck:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Packrats are an animal that exists in reality, and are not just a colorful metaphor? :psyduck:

More formally known as woodrats, yup.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

That's just a common brushtail possum.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
I can't blame the pack rats. housing is so expensive now you've got to post up wherever you can. rat apartments inside the house are probably going for $1,500 a month.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

AITA for what I packed for my kid's lunch?

quote:

I (43M) am responsible for taking my kid (7) to school in the morning, including making their lunch and getting them dressed. My wife picks them up after school. That being said, my wife is annoyed with me after my kid cried to her that they didn't like the lunch I packed and it was "super embarrassing." I packed them deli meat, a juice pouch, and some candy. That is what my kid likes to eat when they're at home, deli meat straight out of the bag the meat counter guy puts it in, candy, and some juice so I didn't see what the problem was but now my wife is saying I'm the AH for making our child eat "room temperature pastrami" instead of making them a sandwich. I don't have time to make them a 3-course meal in the morning and my kid isn't interested in packing their own lunch so I felt like this was a fair compromise. They still got fed, it's not like I sent them to school empty handed. AITA?

Getting out two slices of bread for my child to eat is so much work, you guys, I can't believe life is so hard for meeee :qq:

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Captain Hygiene posted:

Getting out two slices of bread for my child to eat is so much work, you guys, I can't believe life is so hard for meeee :qq:

I mean a lunchable is pretty much just loose deli meat, cheese, crackers and some candy with a juice pouch. I want to think dad did a homemade lunchable type thing... But I know it's probably just a hunk of room temp pastrami.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

killer crane posted:

I mean a lunchable is pretty much just loose deli meat, cheese, crackers and some candy with a juice pouch. I want to think dad did a homemade lunchable type thing... But I know it's probably just a hunk of room temp pastrami.

Yeah, that could be cute, but they just tossed some meat and candy in a sack and went GOOD ENOUGH :effort:

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

lmao imagine getting to school and then it's like 11 or whatever and you're starting to feel hungry and you go to the cafeteria and open your lunch box and it's just loose meat.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

AITA for telling kids the truth about death?

I think that one is weird bait but I can't figure out who for. Isn't the prevailing wisdom for captive snakes that you don't feed them live prey because when you put a predator and a prey animal in an enclosure together you're risking significant harm to the predator?

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
How was this not posted yet?

AITA for how I handled my husband drive-by farting on our baby?

quote:

My husband(28m), to me(27f), is perfect. He's loving and supportive, he has a fantastic personality, among many other fantastic qualities. Not to mention, he has been a super dad ever since our daughter was born. I am so thankful for him and love him completely.

Last week, we had a Disney movie night. He and I were cuddled on the couch and our daughter was in her walker in front of us. My husband got up to refill my water, and as he was walking towards the kitchen, he lifted his leg up next to our baby, said "drive-by." and farted in her direction.I died laughing, which got my husband to laugh, and in turn, our daughter started laughing, which made it even funnier. Unfortunately, I think the positive reinforcement of this opened a Pandora's box of baby-targetted-drive-by-farts.

Every day since, he has farted on her. He'll walk wherever she is, lift up his leg, say "drive by", and fart. Some instances when he has decided to bomb the baby: While she was getting ready to nap. While she was playing with her toys. When we were reading a children's book. Even during bath time. What was initially funny started to get old pretty quickly.

The final straw was a few nights ago. He had made a nice dinner for us and a new meal for the baby to try. We had her in her high chair near the dining table. We are in the process of introducing her to new foods and that night was bananas.The amount of time it took for my husband and I to finish eating was the same amount of time for our daughter to decide she was ready to try the new food. While I was coaxing her into taking a bite, my husband offered to take our dishes to the sink, but he also had a grin on his face. In my mind, I'm thinking, there's no loving way. But lo and behold, he walks near our baby, lifts his leg, and rips out a loud, almost cartoonish sounding fart so loud it could've shattered a wine glass directly onto our baby. She began cackling until the smell hit her, she began gagging and spit up the banana onto herself.

My husband was cracking up, but stopped when he realized I wasn't. He immediately tried to calm himself and apologize, but he said "C'mon, you gotta admit that was loving hilarious!". I was wiping the spit up banana off our our daughter and snapped a little and said "She's probably going to hate bananas forever because of this. What were you thinking?"

He stopped laughing and got quiet for a moment before kneeling down and helping me clean her up. He apologized. I was annoyed but didn't think much of it until later when we were in bed and he asked me if I thought he was too immature. I told him it didn't bother me, but that tonight just wasn't as funny as he has hoped. He kept apologizing to me and said he'd be better.

I feel really bad. I apologized myself the next morning for getting frustrated with him, and he told me I didn't have to, but I hate seeing the man I love beat himself up over something so silly. So AITA for how I reacted? I don't think he is TA at all.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
some people write paragraphs

FMguru posted:

brevity is best

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

AITA for telling my brother that if my parents need money they can ask me for it themselves.

quote:

My parents didn't think a girl needed an education so they chose to not save any money for me growing up. They had no interest in my education or extracurricular activities.

My mom's brother, Bryan, grew up in the UK and he had a different attitude. He would always check in on me and see how I was doing in school. He bought me my first graphing calculator.

Because I wanted to impress him I worked myself raw to graduate with honors. I was the salutorian in my school and recieved a scholarship to my dream school.

I didn't even bother telling my parents. I graduated from high school and moved to the west coast.

My parents tried to convince me to come home but I was quite happy for the first time I could remember.

I studied in a STEM field and was recruited before I graduated. My job pays me very well and I met my husband at work.

My brother also attended university and is an engineer. He does well for himself. Except that he is constantly giving our parents money.

My brother talked to me recently about how WE needed to support our parents in their old age. I said I had no problem contributing to them. However they would have to ask me for help. I would not volunteer it or send it through him.

If they wanted my dirty woman money they had to ask for it.

He says that they won't because it would shame my father to ask a woman for money.

I am okay with him feeling shame after the way he raised me.

My brother says I'm being an rear end in a top hat and it doesn't matter since my pare know where the money will be coming from.

I think that my father, and mother, need to get over themselves.

AITA?
Commenters: You realize your brother is planning on giving the parents your money and claiming it's from him?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Silly Newbie posted:

I think that one is weird bait but I can't figure out who for. Isn't the prevailing wisdom for captive snakes that you don't feed them live prey because when you put a predator and a prey animal in an enclosure together you're risking significant harm to the predator?

Honestly depends on the prey and the snake. My ball pythons are notoriously picky and will only eat live or freshly killed mice, and only one or two will actually take the freshly killed ones. Now if they were on rats, those I definitely would only do pre-killed because of the amount of damage they can do. Regardless, all feeding has to be supervised.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I thought feeder mice were almost always sold frozen? Is it hard to get live?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Silly Newbie posted:

Er, I mean, I don't think they WAIT for them to die. They loving kill them. I thought that was the lie. They don't just let mice live out nice lives first and nature take them

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
AITA for refusing to wear my SIL's wedding dress to my wedding ?

quote:

I (23F) am getting married to my fiance (24M) in a month. He has an identical twin brother with whom he's keeping a bit of a distance with cause of his past possessive behavior of wanting to share everything with each other, from interests, hobbies and even friends. His brother got eloped to his wife (27F) and even suggested to my fiance to do the same on the same day as him, but of course he shut that down quickly as we both agreed on having a wedding already. However, I ended up being contacted by my fiance's brother requesting me to wear his wife's wedding dress from their elopement to my wedding, which I obviously turned down, telling him that I've already got a specific wedding dress on my mind.

He dropped the subject and for 2 weeks I didn't hear about it again, so I thought that was the end of it, but yesterday my fiance's brother and his wife showed up at our house (uninvited may I add), got up SIL's wedding dress and then literally asked me to try out right here and that they'd make adjustments if the size doesn't fit. Thank God my husband stepped in and kicked them both out of our house, even tho it did end up with a really big argument between my fiance and his brother. I got contacted again later on by my BIL who said that my inability to make any compromises in order for his and his brother's wedding experiences to be intertwined is straining their relationship.

Honestly at this point I'm just getting the creeps from BIL and my gut's telling me that him and SIL may attempt to sabotage our wedding out of revenge and even my husband's agrees with the sentiment. We're now strongly considering to uninvite both my BIL and SIL from our wedding, but my husband's still a bit reluctant to do it yet cause of the inevitable drama it'll cause with his family.

AITA ?

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

ApplesandOranges posted:

AITA for refusing to wear my SIL's wedding dress to my wedding ?

OP better make sure fiance gets a secret tattoo so she can tell when creepy BIL pretends to be fiance and tries to "intertwine" with her.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

Silly Newbie posted:

Oftentimes they will disable the prey by conking it on the head or freezing it a bit but I think a lot of snakes don't eat dead prey.

As for the question, I feel he's not the rear end in a top hat. I am a teacher and have taught elementary students and I'm pretty open and honest about death if they ask about it. Kids can actually handle it because they usually aren't wrapped up in so much decorum bullshit as adults.

They think of old people as a million years old so dying of old age is infinitely far off for them. I've never had a kid have a problem with it but I've gotten lots of angry responses from parents when I show them images of skeletons and poo poo when I'm doing science lessons on the human body. Kids will ask how we see the bones and I straight out tell them that we learn about human anatomy by examining the bodies of people who died. No one freaks out except old people who feel the touch of mortality themselves with their bad habits and deteriorating bodies.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Update to a story from some pages back

(tl;dr - future stepmother doesn't want 11yo stepdaughter involved in wedding at all; when pressed, she says she was hoping OP would be a "holidays only" kind of dad to the kid. OP dumps fiancee on the spot, repurposes honeymoon in Hawaii tickets for a father/daughter vacation)

AITA for telling my fiancé my daughter has to be in our wedding?

quote:

Hello everyone! Thank you for all the kind comments and suggestions for Hawaii we a few days ago and Polly is already having a ton of fun. If you have any cool suggestions please drop them in the comments.

As for my ex-fiancée she has tried to reach out to me wanting to work everything out saying she only did it because her mom wanted “pure” grandchildren. I still do not care, if she really loved my daughter and I she wouldn’t have acted on her mothers wishes. Sharon has called my workplace to try and get in touch with me, she has even shown up a few times to try and talk to me and I’ve told my supervisor to just ask her to leave. She has gone as far as messaging my ex wife a few times wanting to know why her calls won’t go through to me.

When she caught wind that we were in Hawaii she was pissed. I’m still close with her brother, and he told me that her and her mom were going to try and get plane tickets. If that’s the case I will likely file a restraining order. Polly has asked what happened to Sharon and I told her that we come as a package deal and Sharon only wanted me and I couldn’t leave her. Polly understood but I think she was a little heartbroken. I know this update is small but it’s all I have for those asking.
Bad craziness, but good dad.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

haveblue posted:

But was the wedding kid-free

Late, but goddamn that was good.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

ESH; Hawaiians have been BEGGING tourists not to visit.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Metaline posted:

ESH; Hawaiians have been BEGGING tourists not to visit.
The update was from late July, long before the Maui firestorm.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

The water shortages started over 2 years ago, unfortunately.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Nobody should go anywhere. Stay right where you are.

Talbot
May 5, 2013

Captain Hygiene posted:

Kid's next lunch is going to be a packet of sugar and peanut butter smeared on a playing card.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for accusing my wife of workaholism in and money obsession in front of our friends?

quote:

My (m33) wife (f25) seems to be a workaholic and is obsessed with her work. She recently graduated with her masters but she’s been supporting herslwlf since she was 18 by running an Etsy shop. I got laid off 3 years ago and have been unable to find a job ever since.

Apart from working, my wife also writes books as a hobby which she wants to self publish once she finishes edits (she wrote 2 so far), she’s also just started a true crime YouTube channel. You’d think that’s enough right? Wrong. She also goes swimming 3 times a week and has language classes. It’s ridiculous.

I had some friends over a few nights ago na we were playing some games and having a beee. My wife doesn’t like my mates but they brought their girlfriends/wives so she could’ve made an effort.

Instead, she told me she didn’t even know they were coming as I didn’t tell her I incod them. and she already had plans. She locked herself up on her office to write her book or a script or whatever.

I was passed. I texted her multiple times but she ignored me. When she went to the kitchen to get water, I confronted her and told her she’s a workaholic and money obsessed. My friends heard it.

And she had the audacity to say that if. Wasn’t for my debt she wouldn’t have to work this much. I told her she was out of line. She called me an asshol and some other things . She slept on the couch in her office thag night (her decision) and we’re on no speaking terms.

My mates agree with me (they generally think she’s stuck up anyway) b it said I was the rear end in a top hat for airing dirty laundry publicly and should’ve addressed it privately. I guess they’re right and I’m the rear end in a top hat for that but I was angry?

I wonder was I the rear end in a top hat. Because of so I kic need to apologize and bring up the issue privately.

Sorry for the typos, new phone

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for accusing my wife of workaholism in and money obsession in front of our friends?

Sorry for the typos, new phone

This is ragebait and I will not hear otherwise.

edit: it's been 5 minutes since I read it and that new phone typos phrase still pisses me off.

a podcast for cats fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Aug 22, 2023

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
Don't you just hate it when you get a new phone and all the letters are shuffled around and something smells like burning and you can't move your left side?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
New phone smell toast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

a podcast for cats posted:

This is ragebait and I will not hear otherwise.

edit: it's been 5 minutes since I read it and that new phone typos phrase still pisses me off.

She has a YouTube true crime channel. ESH