Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

tokin opposition posted:

significantly newer than the program my boss wants

Why do they care what program you use?

I also prefer treesize, but that's personal preference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Wibla posted:

Why do they care what program you use?

I also prefer treesize, but that's personal preference.

all software used MUST be approved by IT, by anyone in the org, for any reason, by which my boss means herself. She's like this for most things, the weirdest combination of a control freak, a luddite, and someone who couldn't manage a paper bag.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
It’s honestly not worth fighting about. You probably have more impactful things to implement than choosing the better of two “what’s using space on this disk” programs, like getting a new job and automating whatever you can get away with without asking for approval.

Extremely pro tip: define and collect metrics on your projects!!

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Vampire Panties posted:

:hai: I'm past the 20 year mark in Voip/Collab (not something I really see mentioned itt / the forums) and I fundamentally know that MS Teams is destroying Webex right now. Webex is actually the superior product (esp. after the broadsoft acquisition) but with MS's monopoly of the desktop/workspace tools... it is what it is :shrug:

Being the (idiotic) optimist that I am, it could be a way to shift into another technology discipline. Working in VOIP has felt like being a typewriter technician the last few years.

I was thinking of ISE, Cloud Center (rest in piss motherfucker), ACI, that kind of thing. I’m sure people are buying it in places but I work at a Cisco partner (if anyone is keeping score, yes my company partners with everyone) and our network people are very ehhh when these sorts of Cisco products are brought up.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

i am a moron posted:

I was thinking of ISE, Cloud Center (rest in piss motherfucker), ACI, that kind of thing. I’m sure people are buying it in places but I work at a Cisco partner (if anyone is keeping score, yes my company partners with everyone) and our network people are very ehhh when these sorts of Cisco products are brought up.

I still see a lot of ISE out there with some clearpass and the occasional FortiNAC floating around.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Hahaha Jesus, ICE. Went through the training for that way back in 2010 as the network team was considering it, so I got dragged in as the desktop admin.

What an utter pile of poo poo, I’m glad it was never implemented.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

tokin opposition posted:

all software used MUST be approved by IT, by anyone in the org, for any reason, by which my boss means herself. She's like this for most things, the weirdest combination of a control freak, a luddite, and someone who couldn't manage a paper bag.

It really seems like the overarching issue across your posts is your boss. You seem like you’re good at what you do and that what you need to do is find somewhere else to work? I mean, easier said than done (esp. for LGBT folks) but if I’m in your situation I’m severing

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I like being a computer janitor. However classes start tomorrow and I'm facing an uphill battle to get users to actually call the helpdesk instead of getting me because all the classroom are now centrally managed by campus IT services and I'm just the IT resource for my local college. I finally just put a note up on my door and keep it closed all day so people will get the point.

I've got about 5 PCs to image today and that's probably going to take the rest of the day plus some time tomorrow.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Vargatron posted:

I've got about 5 PCs to image today and that's probably going to take the rest of the day plus some time tomorrow.

Genuinely curious how this is more work than plugging it in, selecting which image to install and waiting for it be done.

I haven’t done desktop work in ages so I’m wondering what else you’d need to do?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

LochNessMonster posted:

Genuinely curious how this is more work than plugging it in, selecting which image to install and waiting for it be done.

I haven’t done desktop work in ages so I’m wondering what else you’d need to do?

Unless it's windows 7 and/or on a HDD, it should take twenty minutes per machine(ten to get the os installed, ten to fit drivers and apps). If customization takes more than thirty minutes and there is zero infra, setting up MDT takes less minutes(as long as you don't use current win11).

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
Maybe it’s a space/hardware/port limitation? Sounds like OP is working out of a small office.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Just getting back to work after a week and a half off...

I dont want to do this for another 30+ years! I have a good job at a good place but its amazing just how pointless it all seems.

Soylent Majority
Jul 13, 2020

Dune 2: Chicks At The Same Time

tokin opposition posted:

i don't want to do helpdesk anymore, I'm tired of "let's try restarting" being the fix to like 70% of all the things I deal with day to day, let alone being a schoolteacher for people thrice my age convicting them that yes, you will survive having your laptop rebooted and yes, it's okay that you don't have the level of technological understanding I had in preschool for the machine that functionally is their entire job.

In related news my boss has refused to allow me to use windirstat and instead insists I use a similar program with windows 3.0 theming that is significantly worse.

Soacemonger is still perfectly good, tiny and effective - is there something it doesn’t do that you need/want?

Soylent Majority
Jul 13, 2020

Dune 2: Chicks At The Same Time

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I dont want to do this for another 30+ years! I have a good job at a good place but its amazing just how pointless it all seems.

I mean is there anything that approaches the effort/outcome ratio? It’s all pointless but that’s more of an overall existential thing, you’re gonna work some pointless job regardless, at least this doesn’t destroy your body like actual trades/labor will.

Job gets me the money, not the meaning of what I do with that money

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Part is accepting to do pointless poo poo at work to pay for good things in life.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

LochNessMonster posted:

Well... our system is not that great and it takes about 1-2 hours to apply a machine image (depending on network speed), then I have to add software specific to a user then schedule time with them for deployment/data migration.

I agree that it should take less than 30 minutes per machine, but that's just not possible with how we work in my department.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I thought images were so 2015. Isn’t it all “reset to factory via recovery sector, zero touch deploys, intune/mdm takes care of the rest” now?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

That is the ideal, but it is not a reality that everyone gets to enjoy.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It's a lot of work to get to that point and if you have a small team, there are typically more pressing matters.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Yeah, unfortunately, my job involves being very hands on because I deal with professors who refuse to engage at all with new technology or changes. We're trying to get InTune working as a campus-wide imaging solution, but the issue is that every college wants something different out of it and it is going to take a lot of backend setup (which I do not have time to do) in order for it to really work for my area.

Then again, my job is to basically babysit people with their technology needs, so it doesn't really bother me that much.

I reckon that's the issue with $StateJob life, because the job itself is very laid back but the hardware and server resources are either threadbare or 5-10 years behind what is current. I'm still recycling PCs from 2017 for grad student use because some departments here have zero money to work with (except on new furniture!!!).

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

My god is there any group of people more technologically helpless than salespeople? They call our line because we’re the only ones who are 24/7 and it does not matter how many times I explain we only offer tech support for the actual product.

I’m sorry you’re having problems with docusign, have you tried contacting docusign? No I don’t know other ways we can get the info in the system. You have to call back tomorrow.

Literally every issue they have is apparently one the entire sale rides on too so you basically always have to talk them down too

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Anyone got a good suggestion for where to learn the finer points of Intune. Basically how to setup non windows store apps on it and how to convert existing computers to your Intune setup without breaking your outlook/Microsoft installation horribly.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

kung fu jive posted:

Hello there! 14 years in collab/voip here. I'm using Teams and associated MS environments provided by my employer to learn Azure and Powershell. I already know Python (not exactly relevant but writing code is generally valuable). At some point I hope to transition to cloud something. My employer is great about lateral movements across teams. I just have to prove I can handle senior level poo poo somehow. I think there are a lot of directions to go from traditional on-prem collab if you're willing.

:wave: agreed that there are several directions to go. A million years ago I got my start with Interactive Intelligence and programming call center stuff (my mentor and I built a multi-tenant cloud hosted PBX... in 2001 :dogstare:) and when I was an IT manager fifteenish years ago I did a massive lift reprogramming a CRM to use SQL correctly... so as to say I understand programming concepts pretty well but I dont really know any particular useful language and am certainly not conversational about any of my technical abilities :sigh:

i am a moron posted:

:hmmyes: I understand conceptually what some of those things are, but I literally know nothing about products or features in any other discipline.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

My god is there any group of people more technologically helpless than salespeople? They call our line because we’re the only ones who are 24/7 and it does not matter how many times I explain we only offer tech support for the actual product.

I’m sorry you’re having problems with docusign, have you tried contacting docusign? No I don’t know other ways we can get the info in the system. You have to call back tomorrow.

Literally every issue they have is apparently one the entire sale rides on too so you basically always have to talk them down too

categorically sales people are the dumbest users on the planet. you have to be sorta dumb to pick yourself up and throw yourself at the (sales) wall, over and over and over. Then, because they're dumb, once they figure out how to not throw themselves at the wall so hard, they think they invented gravity and are even dumber. I worked with a video conferencing sales person who couldn't loving spell video conferencing.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

LionYeti posted:

Anyone got a good suggestion for where to learn the finer points of Intune. Basically how to setup non windows store apps on it and how to convert existing computers to your Intune setup without breaking your outlook/Microsoft installation horribly.

A good start - https://www.youtube.com/@IntuneTraining

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

rafikki posted:

I still see a lot of ISE out there with some clearpass and the occasional FortiNAC floating around.

We are in the middle of kicking ISE out the door and putting Clearpass in. I don't know what's wrong with Cisco but they love making tons of janky software that's all cobbled together in an "ecosystem" that isn't. A doesn't work with B, and is totally dissimilar to C. They randomly drop or refactor parts and pieces of it every few years, and it's all expensive. You aren't Google! And nobody in enterprise likes that about Google either! The reason everyone liked your poo poo for so long is your hardware was generally excellent and reliable.

DNA Center is now being refactored into Catalyst Center, and I'm still going to stay far far away from it. Having my switching dependent on a buggy and incredibly bloated software stack is awful. The HCI server infra they had us put in for a pilot purely to run DNA Center was more powerful than the general server infrastructure required to run the entire manufacturing facility.

I booted Cisco out of the datacenter a while ago, and we've been moving towards Arista stuff with their cognitive campus and it's been working out great. There's a software stack, but if the whole thing falls over my network still does network things how I told it to, and the segmentation services are plugged right into the existing Palo Alto firewalls instead of requiring an additional pile of poo poo with an interface/hardware to manage.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Oh I do still like UCS. The blade server stuff is pretty dang robust and if you set it up right you have to do something exceptionally dumb to drop production. It is expensive though and you should always buy 3rd party memory. We saved like 3mm just from buying a bunch of samsung memory with the same part number and putting it in ourselves.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Oh I do still like UCS. The blade server stuff is pretty dang robust and if you set it up right you have to do something exceptionally dumb to drop production. It is expensive though and you should always buy 3rd party memory. We saved like 3mm just from buying a bunch of samsung memory with the same part number and putting it in ourselves.

:haibrow: I did a big UCS deployment for a hospital a long time ago, and a very legit part of the cost was the memory. Cisco plays games with their hardware promotions so we ended up figuring something out to keep the PO 100% Cisco, but yeah. Also a UCS was the most costly mistake of my career - I missed a 40k redundant brocade switch in a customer config :doh:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

LionYeti posted:

Have a look at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-it-pro-blog/skilling-snack-microsoft-store-apps-and-app-migration/ba-p/3872763 and also this guy's blog https://www.petervanderwoude.nl/

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

:yotj:

Helldesk for an IT MSP that is supporting an Air Force base. Getting put in for security clearance. 3-4 weeks until I get interim clearance and can start, but I've signed the conditional offer letter.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

chin up everything sucks posted:

:yotj:

Helldesk for an IT MSP that is supporting an Air Force base. Getting put in for security clearance. 3-4 weeks until I get interim clearance and can start, but I've signed the conditional offer letter.

:hfive:

Congrats!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Nice! Congratulations. That security clearance will be great to have.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Internet Explorer posted:

Nice! Congratulations. That security clearance will be great to have.

If you're okay working for a defense contractor and you keep that clearance learn azure or data analysis and you'll make Bank

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
I let my clearance lapse cause DoD work is the most boring poo poo I’ve ever experienced in my life, even compared to being in the service, and i couldn’t have my phone on me in the scif because I’m not a politician who gets to ignore rules.

Great pay for the work though.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

E: could’ve sworn I put the tags in

jaegerx fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 23, 2023

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

thanks for the link brah

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

thanks for the link brah

he's really old and has trouble using computers, also he's mad about the women's world cup

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

CLAM DOWN posted:

he's really old and has trouble using computers, also he's mad about the women's world cup

Using the peak of 90s forum technology is what I excel in you old gently caress.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Nice try on the phishing test but I’m too smart for you

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
not true, especially https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pDH66X3ClA

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Soylent Majority posted:

Soacemonger is still perfectly good, tiny and effective - is there something it doesn’t do that you need/want?

It's significantly slower than wiztree or windir, doesn't allow for opening a command prompt, scales poorly, has a bad UI, and was last updated the year I was in kindergarten. I'm amazed it still runs tbh.

Plus y'know I don't have a choice in using it.