Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It’s a fan creation designed to look cool and interesting, not a technical diagram for an actual real-world vessel.

Rule of cool, absolutely who on earth cares if the docking port isn’t universal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Rule of cool, absolutely who on earth cares if the docking port isn’t universal?

Nerds! But to be fair, that's also the people who create these cool fan creations!

Sometimes people have fun exploring details in an immersive fictional world, don't knock it.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Aug 22, 2023

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Fornax Disaster posted:

I have similar questions about the main shuttlebay on the Nebula Class.

Just gotta fly carefully!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Galileo Seven was fine if now highly anachronistic given we've seen Spock get a lot more character development in SNW so I don't think he'd make those mistakes.

I just started The Squire of Gothos. What the gently caress. Well, it can't be worse than Shore Leave.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Atlas Hugged posted:

Galileo Seven was fine if now highly anachronistic given we've seen Spock get a lot more character development in SNW so I don't think he'd make those mistakes.

I just started The Squire of Gothos. What the gently caress. Well, it can't be worse than Shore Leave.

Tally Ho!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Oh that was awful. It was just Charlie X but more annoying.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

All y’all tripping. Squire of Gothos rocked. Just probably 10 minutes too long. To compare it to Charlie X is a crime.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It’s a fan creation designed to look cool and interesting, not a technical diagram for an actual real-world vessel.

Rule of cool is what caused DISCO to give us the elevator dimension and BDSM-bat klingons, along with many other "not actually cool" designs because the new showrunners didn't know or care what Star Trek used to, or is supposed to look like.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Admiralty Flag posted:

All y’all tripping. Squire of Gothos rocked. Just probably 10 minutes too long. To compare it to Charlie X is a crime.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also why are we critiquing docking procedures in ST?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Admiralty Flag posted:

It does have kind of the same concept as “Charlie X” but I love “Squire”. “Charlie X” finds the horror in the idea of a child made god: “Squire” balances that out with comedy, in service of the message that not just awkward horny virgins but gods, nobles, officers, judges, etc., and whoever else lords it over humanity, are just dumb kids dressing up. It’s borne out by William Campbell, one of the all-time guest stars of Trek for me. Trelane is such a cheery piece of poo poo it’s weirdly chilling when he starts to get nasty, and his anger manages to seem both scary (“until you are dead—dead—dead!”) and ridiculous (“you broke my sword!”) by turns. And in the end it kind of loops back around to (semi-intentional) horror again, with his obvious fear and confusion in the face of his polite, omniscient, omnipotent parents descending to humiliate him, set his “pets” loose, and presumably give him an n-dimensional rear end whooping.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

skasion posted:

William Campbell,

Fantastic as Trelane, memorable as Koloth, but I thought of the three they brought back for Blood Oath he was the weakest, with Colicos being revelatory and Ansara being exactly the same as every role, but it's a good un.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

zoux posted:

why would you not want to enter/exit via the torpedo tube

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

zoux posted:

Fantastic as Trelane, memorable as Koloth, but I thought of the three they brought back for Blood Oath he was the weakest, with Colicos being revelatory and Ansara being exactly the same as every role, but it's a good un.

It’s a bit awkward to see him in DS9. In TOS you could just about buy a sinister yet foppish Klingon gentleman-captain, but as a 90s Klingon, I’m not sure the writers quite knew how to pull it off. He still plays it well imo, but I have a hard time believing the guy from “Trouble with Tribbles” would think the best solution to his problem with the Albino is a commando raid with swords.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Koloth has the best lines in Blood Oath, I don't think he was weak.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yeah why not, it's this big hole in a convenient spot already, why not just use it for a couple of different things. Why not also just use it to launch probes and EVA and dump garbage and waste into space, too. Just a big ol' multipurpose hole.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Oh, that's not a tube, it's a cloaca, through which weapons, cargo, personnel, and ordinance can pass freely.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

zoux posted:

Oh, that's not a tube, it's a cloaca, through which weapons, cargo, personnel, and ordinance can pass freely.

In the most convenient place possible, as far away from any storage facility or storage tank as possible in the end of a narrow tube.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ah yes, the Klingon Everything Hole

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Disco missed an amazing chance for a sight gag by not redesigning the Klingon ships to have two necks

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

skasion posted:

Disco missed an amazing chance for a sight gag by not redesigning the Klingon ships to have two necks

I know what you're doing here but it just made me think of something entirely different:

Guitar shaped like a D7

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

zoux posted:

*Q'loaca

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Well I've finally seen Arena. What an odd premise. This show is fixated on characters in positions of authority reprimanding what they consider to be inferior or underdeveloped beings or individuals.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

The point of Arena is that Kirk is wrong and jumps the gun before he knows all the facts.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I understand the metaphor and the valuable lesson about intergalactic politics. I'm specifically addressing the high number of superbeings we've run into by this point in the show.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Oh. Yeah, very true. It's odd that there were so many godlike beings in TOS and so relatively few of them in TNG (aside from Q and Kevin Uxbridge).

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
DS9 had the Wormhole Aliens and the Pah'wraiths, but I can't think of any other godlike beings that pop up outside of Q in more modern Treks. Lower Decks is basically the only show that leans into how loving weird TOS was.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Travis Mayweather was a godlike immortal being, but they forgot to give him lines so we never actually found out.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Morn too.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

This show is fixated on characters in positions of authority reprimanding what they consider to be inferior or underdeveloped beings or individuals.

I mean if you think about it, this is all Trek is. It’s a tv show about people with so great a technological and ethical advantage over the viewer that they might as well be gods, preaching good morals to us moderns from their ivory starship.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

HD DAD posted:

Travis Mayweather was a godlike immortal being, but they forgot to give him lines so we never actually found out.

You're mistaken.

He was only *built* like a Greek god.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Oh. Yeah, very true. It's odd that there were so many godlike beings in TOS and so relatively few of them in TNG (aside from Q and Kevin Uxbridge).

There's Nagilum, but it wasn't quite on the level of those two. Still godlike in my book. "Where Silence Has Lease" is a first season episode so the series was still leaning heavily on TOS tropes.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

There was also the Traveler, kind of half way there.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
The Traveler wasn't a childlike god, he was a god that liked a child. It's different

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Atlas Hugged posted:

DS9 had the Wormhole Aliens and the Pah'wraiths, but I can't think of any other godlike beings that pop up outside of Q in more modern Treks. Lower Decks is basically the only show that leans into how loving weird TOS was.

The Caretaker/his wife play at the same trope.

Soul Dentist posted:

The Traveler wasn't a childlike god, he was a god that liked a child. It's different

It's called "ephebophilia," sir.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Morn has the most lines in the entire series, its just he says them all offscreen ok

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Lemniscate Blue posted:

There's Nagilum, but it wasn't quite on the level of those two. Still godlike in my book. "Where Silence Has Lease" is a first season episode so the series was still leaning heavily on TOS tropes.

The Edo god was one of these too.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

zoux posted:

The Defiant is actually even worse.

You can SEE the external doors of the airlock while the Defiant is "docked."

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

BattleMaster posted:

Yeah why not, it's this big hole in a convenient spot already, why not just use it for a couple of different things. Why not also just use it to launch probes and EVA and dump garbage and waste into space, too. Just a big ol' multipurpose hole.

Honestly the idea of Klingons literally being fired out of the ship for shore leave is funny enough I almost think it should be canon even if it isn't supposed to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Atlas Hugged posted:

DO NOT WORSHIP THE COMPUTER, how many times do we have to tell you this?