Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I thought nynaeve cured a bunch of male channeleres, and iirc she tried teaching others?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

https://twitter.com/RottenTomatoes/status/1693979010546467071?s=20

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

ahhh the guy who plays logain is so good

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

There's also full on new character panels with minor information for the main characters on the prime video desktop app under the "explore" tab.

I couldn't get to it on mobile but some of the poo poo is kinda spoilery and changed from the books. Mins said she was forced to be a carnival attraction by her aunts :psyduck:

Then there's this, not really any new scenes except one of Rand either trying to be shielded or bound in some way or maybe he about to balefire someones rear end

https://twitter.com/TheWheelOfTime/status/1693971292251451779?s=20

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I think I've seen this before but I am still utterly delighted by it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lol did the propmaster forget to put some food in Logain's bowl

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Data Graham posted:

Lol did the propmaster forget to put some food in Logain's bowl

No? You can see food on the spoon. It's just not to the brim

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

If you’re in the LA area you can see a special screening in theater.

https://twitter.com/imdb/status/1694031686994952465?s=46&t=FuVqINhLr5iT6f4jGf4sZg

Hexel fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 22, 2023

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Hexel posted:

If you’re in the LA area you can see a special screening in theater.

https://twitter.com/imdb/status/1694031686994952465?s=46&t=FuVqINhLr5iT6f4jGf4sZg

Change the x.com to twitter.com and it should embed. Like that.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
I did the Chicago screening (ok it was Chicago-land) for season 1 and that was pretty cool. Gus and Ali presented there because they originally lived in the area.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

I did the Chicago screening (ok it was Chicago-land) for season 1 and that was pretty cool. Gus and Ali presented there because they originally lived in the area.

Pretty sure they're not doing that this time because of the strike though.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

silvergoose posted:

Just turned a ship the size of the world, and all that. Not every big thing needs big immediate effects, it can be big just for what it was.

That quote is from using the Bowl of Winds and fixing the weather, which directly led to and showed Romanda trying to seize more control in Salidar, the Sea Folk (for good or ill) being a part of several protagonist 's cast of characters, the Seanchan getting blown up and thinking the Aes Sedai have a nuke, which in turn led to the raid on Tar Valon, the series entire setting turning to winter, and a bunch of knockdown effects I'm not thinking of.

Cleansing of saidin....not so much.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Yeah it just appears to be the one screening. I guess the drat thing is sold out already :ohdear:

Maybe they'll ramp up their social media efforts to compensate and release another teaser tomorrow for wot wednesday

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Shageletic posted:

Cleansing of saidin....not so much.

Kicks off the march to the last battle.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

RandolphCarter posted:

The patient nerd who started reading the books after they were all out wins again

Due to my experiences with the wheel of time (waiting for every book after a crown of swords) I vowed to not read a song of ice and fire until it was finished.

I'll probably never read it.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Dysgenesis posted:

Due to my experiences with the wheel of time (waiting for every book after a crown of swords) I vowed to not read a song of ice and fire until it was finished.

I'll probably never read it.

Oh, it's finished.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Oh man now we're in a PoV of the people contesting Elayne's succession. loving kill me.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I now want the show to be about Logain

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Shageletic posted:

Oh man now we're in a PoV of the people contesting Elayne's succession. loving kill me.

This is my nomination for most worthless POV of the series, just the most tedious irrelevant crap

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

And yet only marginally more irrelevant than Elayne

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I now want the show to be about Logain

Go watch Casa de Papel/Money Heist. If the show is going to axe Thom Merrilin as a character, at least it looks like we’ll get more Logain to make up for it. (Haven’t seen any of the preview material for S2 yet, so maybe we’re extra lucky and get lots of both characters!)

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I don't think they'd bring in Thom just for those two episodes in S1

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

BigHead posted:

Every time this thread talks about the cleansing I'm reminded that Nynaeve learned how to heal madness, and with this incredible discovery healed exactly one person. She never healed anyone else, and never taught the other yellows.
I've seen this take occasionally, and tbh I just think it's... kind of a bad reading?

Nynaeve heals one dude on screen, and then at the end of that very scene says "I'll heal everyone I can before I go" with Flinn and Narishma being specifically namedropped. She then proceeds to spend the rest of ToM being incredibly busy and not particularly with the faction that hangs around with ashaman. And like maybe there's a bit of time at the start of tGS? but after that it's kind of the Last Battle, which is no time for that sort of thing.

The other stuff is that, like, you can probably count on one hand the number of people who could do it if taught, if there was even time for that. The number of ashaman was also pretty dang small and most of them were out doing things and maybe not super reachable. And, at the end of the day, the ashaman were not going to go MORE mad, so if they were functional as they were then the cold triage calculus of "the battle for existence" says that the channeling resources are almost certainly best spent elsewhere.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

How many Asha'man are even willing to trust an Aes Sedai? I'm not sure Logain is able to trust anyone after what he went through, at least until he goes through his mini crisis and abandons the chalice angreal

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Rarity posted:

I don't think they'd bring in Thom just for those two episodes in S1

Thom is not in S2 but he shows back up in S3.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Doesn't he show up in book 2?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

El Grillo posted:

Doesn't he show up in book 2?

For like two seconds

and an off-screen regicide

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rarity posted:

This is my nomination for most worthless POV of the series, just the most tedious irrelevant crap

But didn't you want to know that Elain doesn't like Nasean! And that Naearn doesn't know what's going on?!

i refuse to know how to spell their names lol

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

For like two seconds

and an off-screen regicide

That was cool.

Oh look its thom playing his harp and almost dropping it when he sees Rand, oh what a funny scene.

Murder.

I'm off to kill the king.

That's a badass sequence of events.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
From a Doylist perspective, what was the need for the Elayne succession plotline? Was it just to give roughly equal page time to Elayne compared against Aviendha, Min, Egwene, and Nynaeve? What happened that sets up later action, or that follows through on previous plot points? Did Jordan simply want to experiment with Martin-esque political intrigue?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Jordan tried very hard to make the setting feel like an actual world instead of just a backdrop for One Guy's Fated Destiny, and using one of the major characters to show that is an obvious thing to do. Rahvin did massive damage to Andor, which Rand compounded by being extremely inept at politics and doing a lot of things that undermined Elayne's claim to the throne. Elayne having to clean up that mess is an obvious way to make it so it isn't just a "beat the bad guy, everything's fine and go on to the next one" type of plot Jordan was trying very hard to avoid writing.

Trying to make sure that Elayne has important plots of her own and isn't just an accessory for Rand or a foil for Nyneave is also a reasonable thing to do.

You might not like the result, but it isn't hard to see what the goal was.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Oh yeah its clear the intention. The problem is Elayne only makes it messier and other people clean it up

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Nihilarian posted:

Oh yeah its clear the intention. The problem is Elayne only makes it messier and other people clean it up

And then it's all rendered pretty much irrelevant shortly afterwards

I mean, it's realistic I guess, but it's also frustrating and not that fun to read, so suffering through all of that for effectively no reason is just a bitter pill to swallow.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Elayne retaining Andor is a good thing because the other major claimant (minus Dyelin) is backed by the Black Ajah coven as part of the plot to weaken the forces of the Light.

And Dyelin would have been very ill-suited to fight the Black Ajah coven within Caemlyn.

Elayne controlling Caemlyn for a number of months (though Caemlyn is eventually lost) also gave Aludra the time and resources to produce her cannons.

A lot of the "wins" from all the main characters since TPoD on are of the form of stabilizing the world so that it is not in total rotting disarray going into the Last Battle. At the very least this is one of those.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Aug 23, 2023

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

She shoulda done it off screen while we followed Mat instead.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The Lion Throne plotline would have been fine if Elayne was a better character and stuff had actually happened

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

She should have sorted Dyelin and focused on eliminating the Black Ajah, then taken the throne of Cairhien and had Dyelin swear loyalty.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I'm into Lord of Chaos on my audiobook re-listen and just passed the seal "break it Break It BREAK IT" part and had kind of forgotten that Taimandred was the original plan for the character. It made Taim's initial shocked response a lot funnier. Something that even naive Davram Bashere recognized as, "maybe we don't smash it yet, lad," Demandred is standing there watching his arch-nemesis almost break one immediately, one of the 3-4 remaining seals keeping the Dark One entrapped.

It works well both ways given that non-Demandred Taim would still be shocked since he apparently knows what the piece represents. But with a Forsaken in attendance, coming in with his expectations of this upstart prophesized figure, the "saviour of mankind" immediately on the verge of smashing it on the floor is really funny.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Holy poo poo they just keep dropping new clips

https://twitter.com/TheWheelOfTime/status/1694258206107926690?s=20

And another little thing with mostly reused scenes but there is a new Verin scene in there

https://twitter.com/TheWheelOfTime/status/1694235666782343222?s=20

Hexel fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Aug 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

these scenes are great!