Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
More like………… loser-seconds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Are they just taking how long it takes the server to render pages? So slower response time actually improves this metric? Like how they had a 5 second delay after clicking NYT links for a bit? That's 5 user seconds a click!

Like just taking the SQL performance metric and using it backwards

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

Post your favorite clips

Gotta be this for me

https://x.com/loloverruled/status/1693769405191086092?s=46&t=6HOSYVrXffESMo0NlyR0Lg

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

not clicking an x.com link don't want a virus

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

A really funny aspect of the headline announcement is way back in the early days of social media some newspapers tried to sue Google to stop them sharing headlines in results, claiming it was breaking copyright. Here's a story for the young folk.

As people moved towards aggregators and social media they stopped visiting the newspaper websites - they just got the headlines elsewhere and wouldn't read the article unless it was really enticing. Newspapers freaked over the lost ad revenue and this was one of the desperate acts they tried to stem the flow.

I'm not sure when/if those that sued Google, etc realised that this was the new reality and preventing headlines from showing was worse for them, but it's hilarious that nearly 20 years later Musk is doing that voluntarily and some of the same press orgs are pushing back.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Jakabite posted:

Can everyone stop being rude about ketamine please, it’s one of the most fun drugs on the planet and if you haven’t tried it you’re seriously missing out. Just don’t go on too crazy a bender or do it multiple days in a row or your bladder gets all full of crystals and stops working.

The problem is not he is using upper, the problem is that he is always on it 24/7/365.

That bound to distord your perception of reality and it's dangerous when it is affecting powerful people.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

:rip: Elon

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Mozi posted:

i just got thrown back from my monitor like marty with the speaker at the beginning of back to the future

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Vichan posted:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1693484886663811280

Why are these people so desperate for Elon's approval?

These fancy reports are just what scientists tell Elon because saying "you're unfuckable" to his face results in being called a pedophile :rubby:

kazil posted:

ur not a real gamer if u dont know

How can we be sure this is real Vivec and not fake Vivec? Do you have a CHIM detector or something?

kazil posted:

not clicking an x.com link don't want a virus

:popeye:

gamer roomie is 41
May 3, 2020

:)
There are lots of people whose job it is to click around analytics dashboards until they find one with a line going up and then sending company-wide emails about the exciting growth in… hmm let’s go with… “YoY lead engagement per organic channel”. Congrats everyone, especially to the leadership team, on our incredible YOYLEPOC!

And the best X could come up with is “user-seconds”? It sounds fake, if you search for it there’s no results except people making fun of X on Reddit, and your mind instantly assumes that billions of seconds is intentionally obfuscating a less impressive amount of total minutes or hours. I know time-based metrics are real and measuring in seconds happens, but the way Elon uses it doesn’t sound right at all. I just can’t believe how stupid it all is.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

<---

:colbert:

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

:psyduck:

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Bleusilences posted:

The problem is not he is using upper, the problem is that he is always on it 24/7/365.

That bound to distord your perception of reality and it's dangerous when it is affecting powerful people.

I think the ketamine thing is a bit of a red herring to be honest. I suspect he’s on adderall or coke or some new rich person drug.

For one, K is a downer, not an upper. It also only lasts about half an hour, unless you get blasted, in which case you’ll be physically unable to type or particularly understand physical space or time any more.

Even somewhat prolonged use (like if he’s even been doing a half g daily for the last month) permanently ruins your bladder and often necessitates having it taken out in a shockingly low amount of ketamine user seconds.

It’s just not even vaguely feasible for ketamine to be his main thing that he’s using this much, or he’d already have needed life saving, permanently disabling surgery.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i dont doubt that hes done ket acid etc before but i think he mostly talks about them to sound cool and id bet anything his daily regiment is some prescription stimulant cocktail with cocaine sprinkled on top from time to time

anyway k is fun stop associating it with elon... we need to dissociate

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

Stex T posted:

You ever met a depressed horse?

I'm just saying...

Horses are freaks who love taking drugs.

Source: My grandpa had a strange habit of giving any horse he met a pinch of loose snus, and whenever we visited one of his rural horse-owning friends, the horses would be really excited to meet him and get their hit.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

TulliusCicero posted:

Wouldn't this just make actual news sites far less likely to keep their accounts on his lovely website?

Like that's literally one of the only reasons it still exists

to musk, the answer is "host the article on X, the everything app!!" completely disregarding that publishers would want to be in control of their articles and not have them subject to the whims of a boerbrained divorced guy

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

kazil posted:

you can tell x.com is a thriving, vibrant site by the way elon likes or replies to the same half dozen accounts that post all day about how great the site is. also he is paying them tens of thousands of dollars to post there.

"X is the place to be!" he tells his handful of most devoted dickriders, while systematically dismantling every feature that makes the site useful and/or tolerable for the grand majority of users.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

IBroughttheFunk posted:

"They were running it by advertisers, who didn't like it, but it's happening." Well that's one way to sum up a lot of the changes over the last few months.

Some of his decisions have kind of made sense, but this one and the block one are just....baffling. At least some of his early changes had the backing of idiot tech enthusiasts and chuds. These ones however seem to please literally no one but Musk himself.

Edit: Yeah, it literally is just him:

https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/1693852942942470396

For a guy so obviously obsessed with aesthetics, it's deeply hilarious that he doesn't know how to spell it.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

thathonkey posted:

i dont doubt that hes done ket acid etc before but i think he mostly talks about them to sound cool and id bet anything his daily regiment is some prescription stimulant cocktail with cocaine sprinkled on top from time to time

anyway k is fun stop associating it with elon... we need to dissociate
Anyone talking about drugs openly is either high rn or a cop.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

IBroughttheFunk posted:

"They were running it by advertisers, who didn't like it, but it's happening." Well that's one way to sum up a lot of the changes over the last few months.

Some of his decisions have kind of made sense, but this one and the block one are just....baffling. At least some of his early changes had the backing of idiot tech enthusiasts and chuds. These ones however seem to please literally no one but Musk himself.

Edit: Yeah, it literally is just him:

https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/1693852942942470396

Wow Musk is such a genius we just can't comprehend it. It's great for your site's engagement to build it so that people have to leave it constantly to engage with something.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Wonder what Elon could do to piss off sports twitter.

Maybe you can only post scores but not to which game they are from.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Ouhei posted:

For a guy so obviously obsessed with aesthetics, it's deeply hilarious that he doesn't know how to spell it.

You don’t ever have to give musk the benefit of the doubt, but when I lived in Vancouver briefly I saw it spelled this way on lots of shady looking beauty salon signs, so it might be a Canadian thing? It always mildly annoyed me in a way that “parkade”, “toque” and “washroom” never did.

E: quoted the wrong post

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

temple posted:

Could be both.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

kazil posted:

Wonder what Elon could do to piss off sports twitter.

Maybe you can only post scores but not to which game they are from.

we're eerily close to it these dipshits turned off chronological post viewing - so extremely stale information is at the top of a person's profile feed.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

holy poo poo huge news for Musk

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

temple posted:

apropos of nothing just wanted to mention im definitely not cia

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Shithouse Dave posted:

You don’t ever have to give musk the benefit of the doubt, but when I lived in Vancouver briefly I saw it spelled this way on lots of shady looking beauty salon signs, so it might be a Canadian thing? It always mildly annoyed me in a way that “parkade”, “toque” and “washroom” never did.

E: quoted the wrong post

I think he's just confusing 2 different words. People who work at salons and the like are called estheticians.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Jakabite posted:

Can everyone stop being rude about ketamine please, it’s one of the most fun drugs on the planet and if you haven’t tried it you’re seriously missing out. Just don’t go on too crazy a bender or do it multiple days in a row or your bladder gets all full of crystals and stops working.

Everyone reacts differently to different drugs. For me, ket is super boring. Like half an hour to an hour of being zonked and useless with nothing interesting happening mentally. Acid, shrooms, mescaline, hell even a bunch of different RCs were all way more fun and interesting

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

thathonkey posted:

apropos of nothing just wanted to mention im definitely not cia

Everyone watch out he's high on secrete alien cia drugs rn.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
musk should start doing just a bunch of acid and shrooms so he can start loving up in a more interesting way.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

kazil posted:

He's just saying this to be an rear end in a top hat to trans people

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

kazil posted:

What a huge dumbfuck. What a catty, petty bitch.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Ouhei posted:

https://twitter.com/theymakemad/status/1693972582662381660

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug

Mozi posted:

Elon Musk: More like loser-seconds

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1693986596398452922

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

Ouhei posted:

"Esthetics" is the American spelling.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

that's a bit too on the nose Elon

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Looking into it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Quality comments will always rise above, once you scroll past the people who paid to have their comments automatically rise above non-payers’.