Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Basically everyone now needs to cycle through the same content on a continual basis at the same time like movie reaction youtubers. This is clearly the 'analytical' solution. jfc

Edit: Oh gently caress me. We have to accept LTT's incompetence, because if we don't, then the work environment will be even worse!

https://twitter.com/thisistechtoday/status/1693826887842251113?s=20
This may be one of the worst tweets I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

apatheticman posted:

LOL they auctioned another thing they didn't own.

(The hot wheels case in the auction)

LTT "Stop Giving Away Things You Don't Own" Challenge [IMPOSSIBLE][GONE SEXUAL][LTTSTORE DOT COM]

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
You can (not) auction

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

LTT: "Auctions are a state of mind"

Watched bits here and there but gods that Cuttress vid was dire. :catstare:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
We're just a smol bean youtube channel pls don't hurt us uwu :ohdear:

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Basically everyone now needs to cycle through the same content on a continual basis at the same time like movie reaction youtubers. This is clearly the 'analytical' solution. jfc

Edit: Oh gently caress me. We have to accept LTT's incompetence, because if we don't, then the work environment will be even worse!

https://twitter.com/thisistechtoday/status/1693826887842251113?s=20

Actually, wanting accountability is abusive.

e. lol this guy has a 310k Youtube channel and his latest video is about his new Texas mcmansion :thunk:

e2. but just to be fair to his point, yes, if people were to demand perfection from LMG, that would probably just translate to poo poo working conditions. No one is demanding perfection from LMG though. Just that they slow down and do better and let people work

Jeff Fatwood fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Aug 22, 2023

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

At least in his intro to establish credibility, he didn't just say "trust me im a doctor" which I think 10 years ago he absolutely would have done.

That said, lol

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
"It's worth noting that when Steve says, I haven't enjoyed the process, he's smiling quite heavily."

Got em

This is actually one of the few (only?) times he actually shows a clip of the show, and it's just Steve's regular pained expression, he's barely even smiling - the one clip he shows doesn't even back up his point, whatever the gently caress it was meant to be.

Dr Ian confused when other human beings slightly emote

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

"It's worth noting that when Steve says, I haven't enjoyed the process, he's smiling quite heavily."

Got em

This is actually one of the few (only?) times he actually shows a clip of the show, and it's just Steve's regular pained expression, he's barely even smiling - the one clip he shows doesn't even back up his point, whatever the gently caress it was meant to be.

Ian looking serious is like staring at a piece of plastic... nothing happens.

mewse
May 2, 2006

:psyduck:

that's his idea of "smiling heavily", gently caress sake

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Just Another Lurker posted:

Ian looking serious is like staring at a piece of plastic... nothing happens.

It's ironic that he was probably just absolutely hauling rear end to produce this video and we get a 1,5h hostage video

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

I love the idea that uninformed viewers are expected to know something is an error and to flee the channel, thus negating the need for anyone to point out the errors of others. The invisible hand of tech journalism. Dr. Ian is a moron.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Steve, embarassed and apologetic: "We don't WANT to be making this video!"

Ian Cutress, doctor of human emotion: "well clearly he's enjoying himself"

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I can't believe people are disrespecting the good name of the Reverend Doctor Ian Cutress P.H.D

wibble
May 20, 2001
Meep meep
Time for everyone relax a little with something a bit more little hearted.

How about Goverus house solar panel edition:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3lSjuLAAVQ

I like how his wife just leaves for the day during the "experiment"

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I can't believe people are disrespecting the good name of the Reverend Doctor Ian Cutress P.H.D

The reddit thread is actually worshiping him.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Tuxedo Gin posted:

With good reason, he’s the Nelson Mandela of CPU reviews.

kalleth
Jan 28, 2006

C'mon, just give it a shot
Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Gin posted:

I was expecting old and beardy, not a 30-something tech tips man.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Jiro posted:

It's loving infuriating Ars also does this on their rocket coverage handling SpaceX with kid gloves.
Do they get free rides into space in exchange for coverage?

Weirdly, it's the comments that are the most obnoxious on those articles. There can be 3 stories about the Boring tunnel, Tesla and Twitter all making GBS threads on it but if you suggest the Starship is Musky's stupid idea and he's being reckless in running it, you get jumped for not trusting the space man.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/IanCutress/status/1693833640583877040?t=BCsR-8BfNejpTbWqpKf-iA&s=19

Buddy, calling out what people are going to say about your take ahead of time does not make those reactions incorrect!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

He actually says critiquing reviewers like LTT is punching down

I watched the timestamp up to when he said punching down and... huh? Maybe I missed something by not watching the video, but does he have a different definition of "punching down" than the rest of society? There is no way that GN can be "punching down" at LMG considering that LMG is at least an order of magnitude larger than GN. If anything, GN is the channel I would expect more mistakes to be coming from with their small handful of staff (at least that I can find online), and not the company that has over 100 employees.

It's like complaining that a small 100-odd staff gaming studio releasing a highly polished game is making the major 1000+ employee companies look bad for churning out shovelware. Aaaaaaaaaaand someone's about to show Ian doing just that, aren't they?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Yeah the George Floyd comparison about three quarters of the way into the video was not a good idea.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

...I'm sorry, the WHAT? I refuse to watch that video outside of the short timestamped bit, please, PLEASE tell me you're joking.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Yeah the George Floyd comparison about three quarters of the way into the video was not a good idea.

lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
While in the process of checking for myself, I watched a late part of Cutress's video, and he excuses the LTT's asterisk corrections by saying that print newspapers never get corrections, or that their corrections get buried at the bottom of page 12, so it's not a big deal that LTT's are similarly so jury-rigged, and Steve pointing out that LTT having access to in-place video replacements (that they don't use!!!) is just jealousy

It sucks

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I don’t know much about Ian Cutress but the italics font he uses for his name on Twitter tells me a lot about how he thinks about himself.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

apatheticman posted:

LOL they auctioned another thing they didn't own.

(The hot wheels case in the auction)

What's the source for this? I thought the LTT hot wheels thing was like years ago, did they seriously never return it in all that time?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

power crystals posted:

What's the source for this? I thought the LTT hot wheels thing was like years ago, did they seriously never return it in all that time?

I came across a post somewhere (yt comments? twitter?) that said it was a gift to LTT so they could do whatever with it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

mobby_6kl posted:

Do they get free rides into space in exchange for coverage?

Weirdly, it's the comments that are the most obnoxious on those articles. There can be 3 stories about the Boring tunnel, Tesla and Twitter all making GBS threads on it but if you suggest the Starship is Musky's stupid idea and he's being reckless in running it, you get jumped for not trusting the space man.

The comments on any Jalopnik article on Tesla are always a nightmare.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

power crystals posted:

mobby_6kl posted:

I came across a post somewhere (yt comments? twitter?) that said it was a gift to LTT so they could do whatever with it.

Shankmods has commented on the video and it should be at the top. Basically it was fine and he did give the case to LTT.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

'punching down' because linus is a little tiny wee fellow?

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

YerDa Zabam posted:

'punching down' because linus is a little tiny wee fellow?

apparently it means because everyone knows that GN is better at testing and numbers than LMG, so it is not fair to call out LMG for bullshit data

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

wibble posted:

Time for everyone relax a little with something a bit more little hearted.

How about Goverus house solar panel edition:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3lSjuLAAVQ

I like how his wife just leaves for the day during the "experiment"

Lol takes a special kind of nerd to not understand why a central AC is better than like 7 windows AC units in every room, dudes cooked his brain writing too much assembly in the Texas heat

Zoodpipe
Jun 24, 2004

This is an important call. So, shut the fuck up.
Fallen Rib

Konar posted:

Lol takes a special kind of nerd to not understand why a central AC is better than like 7 windows AC units in every room, dudes cooked his brain writing too much assembly in the Texas heat

He should use his open carry and shoot the heat.

This guy loving sucks and I hate seeing his doughy face. Yes - my monitor is on.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

njsykora posted:

The comments on any Jalopnik article on Tesla are always a nightmare.

lol the posts in the AI Tesla fanboy EV thread on Tesla aren’t any better but that’s arguably the mods’ fault

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Tuxedo Gin posted:

apparently it means because everyone knows that GN is better at testing and numbers than LMG, so it is not fair to call out LMG for bullshit data

loving demented.
down with these experts with their experience and knowledge.
except from me, doctor potato

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I'ma say it : Central AC sucks and I'd much rather have minisplits. Air ducts waste an enormous amount of space and are noisy, and for heating forced air is absolute trash.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

K8.0 posted:

I'ma say it : Central AC sucks and I'd much rather have minisplits. Air ducts waste an enormous amount of space and are noisy, and for heating forced air is absolute trash.

Brave

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Wrong but brave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Well I don't think there's any argument that forced air is the worst form of heating, and maybe I'm biased by that because heating is much more of the year than cooling for me, but I hate the noise, I hate the extra couple steps on every staircase to make room for ducts, and balancing airflow enough to get consistent temperatures is essentially impossible.

My next residence will definitely be radiant heating, and either that will also do cooling or we'll do mini splits but there's no way I'm having a central AC again.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Aug 22, 2023