Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

My wife is currently pregnant and if the kiddo takes an interest in football there's no way I'm not passing on my Vikings fandom to them. I may not live to see a Vikings super bowl but they might at least get to see them play in one, and then my soul will be able to rest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Our child, due next month, will be brought into this world crying during football season. Every year they will get to relieve that agony by watching the Bears season end in its infancy. They will gaze upon the sullen faces of their parents, and one hopes will not continue this tradition of missery.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
All these posts here I thought Cousins died. Nope, congrats and hot NFCN parenting tips.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I wonder if I would’ve been able to get into the sport the same way had I been born a few years later and introduced to it through the Millen years rather than Bobby Ross era competency. Then again 2001-06 is when we had season tickets and I got heavily into college ball during the Bobby Williams/John L. Smith regimes at MSU so maybe I’m just a glutton for punishment.

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.

trevorreznik posted:

My kid still hasn't figured out how to go from yelling for more touchdowns when watching Alabama football on Saturdays to grimly watching the Bears the next day

Huh. There’s another one of us.

Bears wins are sweeter now that my expectations are underground.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Rashan Gary participating in team practice today. Let's goooo

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.
I became a Packers fan later in life since my parents did not care at all about football.

On the positive side, this meant I could move back and forth between a Dolphins starter jacket and the leaping through your chest Panthers shirt while simultaneously avoiding the pre-Favre Packers.

On the negative side, I became a Packers fan just in time to witness the 4-12 season.

Raising the kids as Packers fans though.

Shrimpy fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 22, 2023

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Congrats Dexo! Be a good father or you'll end up with a packers fan in your family.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I grew up in Minnesota in the 70's. I sat on the floor while my dad laid down on the couch watching the OG purple people eaters terrorize QB's.

Dimestore Merlin
Jul 14, 2007

Obey your Spider-Lord

My kid is 9 months and if he chooses Vikings fandom, so be it. Might disown him if he becomes a Packers fan.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

ZombieCrew posted:

Congrats Dexo! Be a good father or you'll end up with a packers fan in your family.

There are some things you shouldn't even joke about

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran
One of us! One of us! Gibble gobble gibble gobble one of us!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
My wife just came down to my office to proufly show me that she has acquired this book .

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

HootTheOwl posted:

My wife just came down to my office to proufly show me that she has acquired this book .
That poor child.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Yesterday (in Minnesota) I saw a car with Packers plates turn the wrong onto a freeway offramp.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

HootTheOwl posted:

A is for Awful Adam Archuleta
B is for Bad Bernard Berrian
C is for Craig, Cade, and Chad
D is for Disastrous Double Doink

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

HootTheOwl posted:

Should have an asymmetrical C imo

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

ZombieCrew posted:

MODS!?!?!

HootTheOwl posted:

Sever

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

C is for Craig, Cade, and Chad

M is for Mediocre Moses Moreno

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

C is for Craig, Cade, and ChadCharles Martin Cheapshot

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Q is for quarterback, and features Mitch

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
S is for super bowl, and just superbowl 20.
P includes punt

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

R.D. Mangles posted:

M is for Mediocre Moses Moreno Menards, where you can save big money

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dexo's kid will be starting high school right when Jordan Love's Hall of Fame career starts to wrap up.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Niwrad posted:

Dexo's kid will be starting high school right when Jordan Love's Hall of Fame career starts to wrap up.

As an announcer

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog
The Bears offensive line is falling apart before the real season even begins :ohdear:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Ummagumma posted:

The Bears offensive line is falling apart before the real season even begins :ohdear:

For reference, this is because Darnell Wright is hurt now too
E:
https://twitter.com/Schrock_And_Awe/status/1694073127985135745?t=hIgekPXrh4v6TrVBS4a-1w&s=19

Justin Fields is dead. Rip. Time to break the next one

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Aug 23, 2023

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

HootTheOwl posted:

Justin Fields is dead. Rip. Time to break the next one

Don't worry, the #2 QB in the draft next year is another UNC QB.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
They're going to trade again because Bagnet will look like the next one at the end of the season once the line gets healthy again

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

HootTheOwl posted:

Q is for quarterback, and features Mitch

Q is for (CITATION NEEDED)

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Shrimpy posted:

Don't worry, the #2 QB in the draft next year is another UNC QB.

The difference is Maye is actually good.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

K is for… wait this is a kids book never mind

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
These have been good and informative so far. Gonna watch the latest one tonight. The Walker trade lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymLqLKkRtQk

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Some real good poo poo on the episode this week. A number of legit lols.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I am too young to have enjoyed the Burns years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNcBFZ26lcI

Fuckers

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Takes real talent to keep your fpm sustained over a long period.

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

Thank you for your service, Les

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
As we get closer to the regular season, here's some quick Lions predictions based on what I've read from all the training camp observations.

I think the offense may regress a bit, at least in the first part of the season. While the overall level of talent has improved, one thing they're lacking is a consistent downfield threat. Last year, that threat was DJ Chark, and the offense struggled when he was out — Lions were 7-4 in games he played in, and 2-4 in games he didn't. This year the team was banking on that threat being Jameson Williams, but he's obviously going to be out the first 6 games, and he's also missing a decent chunk of training camp with his recent injury. Dude still has plenty of talent and potential, but there may be struggles, and the Lions may run into some issues stretching out opposing defenses. That being said, the Lions have a lot of offensive talent, and I'm confident in Ben Johnson making the most of the tools at his disposal to keep the offense moving.

On the other side of things, I think the defense is going to be a lot better. For the past few years the defense has been an absolute tire fire, especially in the secondary. But this season, they'll be benefitting from an influx of new talent thanks to rookies like Brian Branch (Who is, allegedly, hella good), veteran signings like CJGJ, and developing players like Kerby Joseph. It's telling that arguably the best player in the secondary at the start of last season was Tracy Walker, and losing him early in the season was a huge blow to the defense. Now, Tracy might not even be starting — and it's not because of the injury, it's because there's so much more talent in the secondary. Meanwhile in the linebacker room, Jack Campbell is reportedly everything the Lions wanted him to be, Derrick Barnes has taken a huge step up, and Rodrigo has continued to develop. And on the defensive line, Aiden Hutchinson is posed for a huge year 2, and Levi Onwuzurike might have managed to overcome his injury struggles. I'm not predicting a top-10 unit (Though I think they do have the potential!) but I think they could crack the top half of the league. And given this was a bottom 10 unit for most of the last few years (and often hovering around the absolute dumpster), that would be a huge improvement, and easily make up for any offensive regression that may occur.

Overall, I think the team will be a fair amount stronger this year — maybe not top of the NFC, but certainly strong enough to make the playoffs, barring hideous injury luck. But that being said, it's also hard for me to predict how this year will go. Right now, the schedule looks like this:

Home: Seahawks, Falcons, Panthers, Raiders, Bears, Packers, Broncos, Vikings
Away: Chiefs, Packers, Bucs, Ravens, Chargers, Saints, Bears, Vikings, Cowboys

Depending on how things shake out, I think the Lions could get double-digit wins against this schedule. 4-2 against the NFCN is certainly doable, I'm pretty confident about our chances against the Bucs and Raiders, I don't think the Broncos and Saints are gonna swing things around this season, and I think the rematches against Seattle and Carolina should go in our favor this year. But I'm not as confident as I'd like to be, that's for drat sure.

That being said: Definitely gonna try to get tickets for MNF when I'm back in Michigan for a wedding this fall. Tickets are gonna cost an arm and a leg, but I am ready to be at Ford Field and hear it get loud.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

SirPablo posted:

I am too young to have enjoyed the Burns years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNcBFZ26lcI

Fuckers

https://twitter.com/ralphaintmyname/status/1694193628678070681?s=46

anyway there is a lot of wild stuff in that episode

didn’t know that the 1989 playoff loss was that demoralizing to the fanbase

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it's been a great series but that episode finally reached the highest heights that the falcons series did. you need hosed up little guys loving up from time to time