Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry
UPDATE: Found a spark plug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Dollas posted:

UPDATE: Found a spark plug.
Huge! Where was it?

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

giZm posted:

Huge! Where was it?

I've found like 7 in toolboxes.

Nurglings
May 6, 2016
Anyone mind taking a newb under their wings this wipe? Last wipe was my first, got to level 20 but then pretty much scav only'd with the friends that got me into the game. I have a pretty good grasp of Customs/Woods/Factory(lol) and the department stores/outside of interchange, didn't run lighthouse/streets/labs at all and only a couple of shoreline as a scav. I'm not great at aiming, the vast majority of my FPS experience is with CS and I'm still getting used to the whole ADS thing.

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry

giZm posted:

Huge! Where was it?

Toolbox on customs by factory far corner. It is now my favorite toolbox.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Nurglings posted:

I'm still getting used to the whole ADS thing.

It's when you start to unteach yourself to ADS that you know you're no longer a Tarkov noobie. Good luck on your journey, young warcrimeawan.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Spark plugs are everywhere!

until you actually need one, then it's oops, all screws

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

I find the most consistent spot for Spark Plugs are these four sets of shelves in the back of OLI on Interchange. Car Batteries spawn in the lower basket shelf just under here as well.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I picked this up because I hate myself and want to experience the trifecta of grog, toxic pvp community and jank.

Jesus Christ does this deliver. It’s going to take me weeks before I can be considered bad at the game. I spent like 15 hours researching/watching guides before dipping in and I was still woefully unprepared.

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
I wanted a big red title but I'm getting a small white one instead.
Join the discord and play with goons, it's a completely different videogame with some pals vs solo and having someone show you where to get out of the drat map is essential early on

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Yea join up with the goons. They seem intimidating are first but are actually pretty friendly.

And don't feel like you need to rush things. Do your scav runs, build up a bank, learn maps and just have fun. By far, the best moments in EFT are like the first few months of being a new player.

Nat
Apr 3, 2012
Tarkov is also incredibly punishing for solo players and it only gets worse with each major patch. Scavs now pick up gear off the ground or from dead players so insuring loot isn't as helpful. You're also at mercy of how many squads queue up for your game if you were to play solo. I don't think I've seen more than 3 solo players in the last two weeks of playing.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I've gotten probably 90% of my gear back from deaths this wipe, which seems surprisingly high if anything, I don't really ever do budget runs, either. scavs will pick up items off the ground if bushed, but it doesn't seem to be all that common. I don't have a huge sample size because I haven't died that much, but you get a ton back. I wouldn't be surprised if a ton of stuff that does get looted ultimately gets dropped for some random industrial item that is worth 5x more than my ears or helmet or w/e. when I insurance fraud items they pretty much always come back, too.

solos do have it rough though, yeah. it would be bad to split lobbies up too much, but putting solos into lobbies that are mostly solos/duos would be good, though that's kind of anathema to what the game fundamentally is

Vasudus posted:

I picked this up because I hate myself and want to experience the trifecta of grog, toxic pvp community and jank.

Jesus Christ does this deliver. It’s going to take me weeks before I can be considered bad at the game. I spent like 15 hours researching/watching guides before dipping in and I was still woefully unprepared.

I'm a couple hundred hours in now and mostly through the new player 'wtf is going on' phase and know a couple of the maps decently and am finally getting to the point where I'm regularly killing players (plural) in raids and uh yeah holy poo poo is it rewarding if you can stick out the first 100-200 hours of just not knowing wtf and dying to stupid poo poo because I'm not familiar with the engine and all the jackasses with 2000 hours on a specific map.

afaict by far the single thing that matters most in tarkov is what bullets you are firing out of your gun.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Aug 21, 2023

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Yeah I'm getting the hang of it. I've killed a few people but I've also died a lot. Biggest thing for me is the map, because absolutely no map or compass on top of having to learn all the quirks is a bit much even with a map up on the other screen (yes, I know there's a compass reward later). I've stuck to streets, woods, and factory because I need to get those maps in my head before I branch out. What I did was scav runs on factory and then when the scav is on cooldown go and do a singleplayer practice run on my PMC to learn the map. Meanwhile I've been watching shitloads of youtube and twitch to learn about things that I can.

And then naturally when I do things live on my PMC I get completely discombobulated and run headfirst into the klimov street extraction *twice* and get killed by the zone sniper. Whatever, I'll get more guns.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

I just bought a standard account for a gimmick run, and man that non-EoD stash size is just sad.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Solo can be fun if stressful. Requires a different approach though, and map knowledge becomes even more important.

You really have to plan your movements and take advantage of the fact that groups tend to make a lot of noise. Avoid sprinting around, walk just a little slower than max so you hear them before they hear you, and take regular short pauses in concealed spots to listen (especially if you have to sprint through a danger zone or something like that).

Picking gear that keeps you light and fast helps a lot because you can walk quieter without being slower than others, and if you need to run like hell a heavy group can't keep up. This used to be more important before they halved the movement debuffs and the high-mobility armors like PACA or the Thor carrier gave you a big mobility advantage, but I'd still avoid the heavier stuff. The speed also lets you reposition, which you should do constantly if fighting solo against a group. Even retreating and making them chase gives you the opportunity to hide and ambush again, and if you're trying to get away dropping one and running tends cause the group to panic and hunker down and/or stop to hide their buddies stuff. I've killed whole groups before one by one by running off, hiding and listening for footsteps and then popping out and getting a few shots off before running again. Don't re-peak or hold the position, either you killed them or the spot isn't safe anymore: shoot, scoot, and listen. Reset the fight so groups can't use their numbers as ablative armor and overwhelm you.

Also, be selective and deliberate with your goals for the raid. One of your advantages as a solo player is you can get your fill of loot much faster so you don't need to run around hitting every POI or quest objective on the map to make a whole gang happy. Likewise, you don't have to pick a location clean. You're most vulnerable while looting and doubly so when you don't have a buddy to watch your back. If you're going into a POI focus on getting in and out before a group wanders in; if you're looting a kill, drop your bag somewhere concealed so you can run in and grab theirs and then play Tetris somewhere safer. Use the loot experience notification from Scavs to judge whether they're worth looting; if they've got something valuable on them you'll get a good 150-250xp when you first open their inventory.

Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, play like a dirty motherfucker every chance you get. Exit camp, camp corpses, camp loot containers, shoot people in the back, wait at high traffic sites and third-party survivors of a fight while they're looting/healing. It only takes one rear end in a top hat at the wrong time while crossing an LDA, looting, extracting or any other of a dozen vulnerable actions to ruin your day, you can be that rear end in a top hat. Try to choose your fights and make sure they're never fair.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
definitely do hop in the discord for help with any quests that you are struggling to get past

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Wait, audio is still bullshit? I didn't play after they "fixed it" last time and it made everything unplayable.

How's the situation with cheating etc after that big exposé thing? Has it improved? So you still get snipes in 10 mins from someone you never saw or heard who instantly locks onto your head?

I know it's different because he's likely got a lot of people targeting his stream, but Pestily had 37 confirmed hackers in 68 deaths over 5 days lmao

https://twitter.com/Pestily/status/1691522885494665225

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
Pestily has also said its much worse on oce servers. When he plays on China or usw he runs into far fewer obvious cheaters.

I only play on oce due to ping, and it can feel really bad at times. I have friends who often play on China and experience cheaters way less often.

I wonder if the cheaters are coming from south eat Asia rather than China.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

If you're new to the game, I suggest not trying to learn too much from YouTube or Twitch. Map knowledge is absolutely THE key to this game and you will only get it by putting in the hours.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I honestly don't believe those numbers from pestily. I've been playing this wipe a bit again and enjoying the audio now, it's better than it was, when you could hear people above the carpark on interchange etc.

I'm decent with the maps and my stash is overflowing, but I can't kill poo poo. Even struggle with scavs tbh. The bolt action quests on woods are giving me a hard time right now as the range with iron sights etc is an issue for me. I'm just not good at shooting.

When I run into other players I'm hosed, I sometimes get lucky. But I see it as part of the game and I enjoy the rush I get, so I'm never too bummed out when I die thankfully.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Prob worth mentioning im playing EU servers and sometimes the middle east depending on ping.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Some wiener I work with said he would cheat in tarkov and it was more than 100(!!!!) dollars a month for the cheats

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
And you still need to run a second PC / DMA card right?
I can be bad at the game and not have fun for much cheaper

e: Also highly suggest joining goon discord. I lurked for over a year and jumped in a channel the other day after becoming annoyed enough with 17 year old randos with gun fetishes from sherpa discord. immediately had fun raids with "cool" people and regret not doing this when i started.

streetlamp fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Aug 22, 2023

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I believe those numbers from Pestily because he’s been in a subathon since the wipe started and playing anywhere from 14 to 18 hours a day for it. I’ve been watching most of it inbetween my own games and work. If you’re doing 3 raids an hour all day every day and you’ve got 10k viewers most of the time it’s bound to happen a lot more frequently.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

tarkov is riddled with cheaters, comically so. Thankfully most of the time you'll never know, and until you reach a certain level of play you won't run into them as often as youd think. The game's fun, you can probably get hundreds upon hundreds of hours of gameplay in before cheaters are your main reason for dying

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Scavs are loving cracked tho. These AI have bush hacks. Litteral aimbots. People would cheat less of AI scavs cheat less.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

KirbyKhan posted:

People would cheat less of AI scavs cheat less.
Now there's a hot take.

tjones
May 13, 2005
lmao at the screenshot from that pestily tweet being all shoreline and labs reports, im not surprised

its pretty funny seeing the majority of the players backpedal with their opinions on cheating now that big name streamers are claiming that the problem is dire considering how much the same player base would immediately try to gaslight you if you dared to mention tarkov had a cheating problem before this or that goat video

i wonder if bsg ever caves and implements some type of after raid / death replay system. approaching 50% of deaths is a huge confirmation ratio. i wonder how many players are getting banned for no reason or for easy / lucky shots from players that pestily was unaware of. i bet their false positive rate isnt 0.

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

I think nikita mentioned on reddit that some sort of after action replay system was planned during the cheating furore. No dates, of course.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

tjones posted:

lmao at the screenshot from that pestily tweet being all shoreline and labs reports, im not surprised

its pretty funny seeing the majority of the players backpedal with their opinions on cheating now that big name streamers are claiming that the problem is dire considering how much the same player base would immediately try to gaslight you if you dared to mention tarkov had a cheating problem before this or that goat video

i wonder if bsg ever caves and implements some type of after raid / death replay system. approaching 50% of deaths is a huge confirmation ratio. i wonder how many players are getting banned for no reason or for easy / lucky shots from players that pestily was unaware of. i bet their false positive rate isnt 0.

lol this season specifically and battlebit have been two of the least cheated fps experiences i've ever had. 9/10 of the fights I get into it feels like the opponent is running the opposite of cheats, if anything. I've died twice as many times to running into landmines as I've died to cheaters. the only downside to this is that dying to sweatlords who have 2k hours on a map and know every sound cue and weird off angle is an even more futile experience than dying to cheaters. at least with cheaters you can run them out of ammo and then push them while they reload or just out-aim the dudes only using walls

yes that surprises me to say, don't get me wrong. I can also readily believe that OCE is a total shitshow because that tends to be the case across many games

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Aug 22, 2023

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Hazamuth posted:

I think nikita mentioned on reddit that some sort of after action replay system was planned during the cheating furore. No dates, of course.

I’ve wanted this for a while - not even to help identify cheaters, it would just be cool a gently caress. It would be an awesome learning tool for new players to be able to review a raid and see how other players and scavs spawned, pathed through the map, etc.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat

Hazamuth posted:

think he said only planned for arena.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
Ideally, Arena will work as the place that hoovers up the biggest and cheatiest sweatlords. Though, expect most of them to leave whenever more of the RPG elements get expanded, especially once PMC karma becomes a thing.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Triple A posted:

Ideally, Arena will work as the place that hoovers up the biggest and cheatiest sweatlords. Though, expect most of them to leave whenever more of the RPG elements get expanded, especially once PMC karma becomes a thing.

Lol why would it do that? The 2 main drivers of cheating are RMT and progressing past onerous quests

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Fart Car '97 posted:

Lol why would it do that? The 2 main drivers of cheating are RMT and progressing past onerous quests

RMT is... Real Money Transactions? How does that work with EFT?

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

RMT is... Real Money Transactions? How does that work with EFT?

The game sends the exact coordinates of every item to every player when they connect into the raid so hackers get radar hacks and hoover up all the valuable stuff on the map in the darkness like invisible goblins and sell it to other players for real cash on third party websites and drop the items in raid or on flea.

They tried to fix it by limiting what can be dropped in raid or sold on flea but it just pissed everyone off rather than actually stopping hackers.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

tjones posted:

its pretty funny seeing the majority of the players backpedal with their opinions on cheating now that big name streamers are claiming that the problem is dire considering how much the same player base would immediately try to gaslight you if you dared to mention tarkov had a cheating problem before this or that goat video.

It's different for a higher levels of play but honestly the cheating is getting out of hand along with game performance. I've stopped playing.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

The game sends the exact coordinates of every item to every player when they connect into the raid so hackers get radar hacks and hoover up all the valuable stuff on the map in the darkness like invisible goblins and sell it to other players for real cash on third party websites and drop the items in raid or on flea.

They tried to fix it by limiting what can be dropped in raid or sold on flea but it just pissed everyone off rather than actually stopping hackers.

Oh, I got that. Many games send information about what's going to every client but doesn't display it the player unless you have another program reading then displaying that data.

I had no idea there were so many websites selling EFT gear. Holy crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
That stuff always tickles me because the gear isn't going to really help a bad player. Like I've got no qualms about throwing down cash on shameless F2P grabs if the mood suites me but doing RMT for Tarkov is just comical.

That said, I would probably pay like a dollar at this point for an Awl. I've spent most of my day on Interchange trying to find one. No dice on being able to build a shitter but I have a growing collection of kitted out UMP45s from players.

edit: bitching always works. Found an Awl on my next raid.

Vasudus fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Aug 23, 2023