Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
What about Polar? The sense of humor was kinda offensive in spots but it does have Mads being Mads and some solid actions scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I refuse to believe that any human has intentionally watched Red Notice.

I was subjected to Ghosted while visiting family, some people just watch whatever's on

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Wife and I watched the whole thing as it was astonishing how The Rock is now so jacked he can't walk convincingly.

Citadel does the background action TV thing pretty well.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Red Notice was the exact movie that pushed me over the line with The Rock where I was kinda done with him after that. So that's why I watched it I guess, I was holding that candle for The Rock longer than probably most people.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
It's astonishing when you see The Rundown (actually a pretty great action movie, although some parts have not aged well) and watch Arnold pass the torch to him, and realize the kind of goodwill and potential he squandered.

Not to say his career has been a series of bombs or anything but you see these flashes of what could have been and it's like...we just didn't get the sustain. Shame.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Arnold was so methodical in terms of the projects that he decided to be a part of, I think that was really the secret to his sustained run. You look at the directors he worked with in the 80s and 90s and it's Reitman and Cameron and Verhoeven and McTiernan, a who's who of directing talent.

The Rock always had a feeling of desperation to him when he made his career choices, a lack of confidence. Never a moment where he was like ok let me hang out for a year or two and really be selective about making sure I hook up with the right people for my next project. Like, he does an Arnold type move where he tries a family friendly comedy in The Tooth Fairy, but it's with a director who was known as the guy who directed The Santa Claus 2 and The Santa Clause 3. He never surrounded himself with the same caliber of people that Arnold did.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

It doesn't help that The Rock refuses to take any roles that might be even mildly interesting or out of step with his tired persona

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Very good points.

What really did it for me was seeing The Rock during the pandemic just shill his lovely tequila constantly and become a Z-grade rise and grind guy. When left to his own devices he became a lovely pitchman for himself. It really felt like he got up his own rear end about being a "brand". I suspect that a lot of his choices were made because he wanted to be top dog on the film set and have control.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Honestly just feels surreal looking back at this guy. A lot of time has passed but still

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNlhez_18f0

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

As any pro wrestling fan will tell you, The Rock is so much better at playing a villain, and his movie career hitting the dirt this bad is because they keep letting him try and be a hero instead.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

As any pro wrestling fan will tell you, The Rock is so much better at playing a villain, and his movie career hitting the dirt this bad is because they keep letting him try and be a hero instead.

a buddy and i have been very, very slowly watching old 90s wwf ppvs and we finally got to where the rock is about to usurp farooq as the leader of The Nation of Domination. he is so charismatic and just amazing at being a cocky bad guy

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

I haven't watched it but it annoys me that Netflixs fake algorithm pushes it front and center. Imagine if they decided one day to tell everyone Avengement was the most watched action movie of the week and a million people clicked on it because of the boosting

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

morestuff posted:

It doesn't help that The Rock refuses to take any roles that might be even mildly interesting or out of step with his tired persona

He got piss scared of doing stuff like that after Southland Tales, the only break in that was Pain and Gain which he probably only took because it was role in a Michael Bay movie. A good call because he's actually good in the role and it's a fantastic movie.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Arnold was so methodical in terms of the projects that he decided to be a part of, I think that was really the secret to his sustained run. You look at the directors he worked with in the 80s and 90s and it's Reitman and Cameron and Verhoeven and McTiernan, a who's who of directing talent.

The Rock always had a feeling of desperation to him when he made his career choices, a lack of confidence. Never a moment where he was like ok let me hang out for a year or two and really be selective about making sure I hook up with the right people for my next project. Like, he does an Arnold type move where he tries a family friendly comedy in The Tooth Fairy, but it's with a director who was known as the guy who directed The Santa Claus 2 and The Santa Clause 3. He never surrounded himself with the same caliber of people that Arnold did.

Comparing the two of them is a fun exercise at this point in their careers.

The Last Action Heroes talked a bit about how Arnold chose his projects. Arnold's big turns towards stardom were in Stay Hungry and Pumping Iron, and he's infamously the villain in Pumping Iron. He relished playing villains. He liked Conan because he wasn't really a good guy. He liked The Terminator because he was an unstoppable killing machine. Commando was his first big move towards being a Hero, and in that he's still a ruthless killer. If he was gonna be the good guy, he wanted to massacre the bad guys. He pushed for more blood and more violence, especially because he was competing against the body counts in Stallone movies, especially Rambo II. Commando and Raw Deal were specifically made to be bloodier than Rambo II. Arnold didn't push for a Comedy until almost 10 years and 9 movies. He liked Twins because he liked DeVito and Ghostbusters and Stripes, and he Reitman saw how charistmatic Arnold was. After Twins was a hit, Reitman convinced him to do Kindergarten Cop, which wasn't specifically supposed to be a Family movie, but it kinda worked out that way. Same with Terminator 2. He was furious that the T-1000 became a good guy that didn't kill anyone, but Cameron convinced him that it was the right decision, and while tons of kids saw it, it wasn't intended to be a Family movie. He says he only did Jingle All the Way because The Last Action Hero and Junior were such flops.

The Rock's big screen debut was The Mummy Returns, where he's on screen for maybe 5 minutes? And he's the villain. Then he immediately changes the character into a Good Guy a year later in The Scorpion King. (He's a anti-hero, but a good guy, right?). I haven't seen The Rundown or Walking Tall, so I can't speak on his presence in that movie, but he's ostensibly a hero there, yeah? But Doom and Southland Tales failed, I don't know anyone who's seen Gridiron Gang. We're only 7-ish years after The Mummy Returns and he's already doing Disney's The Game Plan, then Get Smart, then back to Disney for Race To Witch Mountain, then Planet 51, then Tooth Fairy. The only interesting thing in there is The Other Guys, but he's in it for 5 minutes. Fast Five came at the end of almost half a decade of family movies or PG-13 comedies.

I lost interest in The Rock probably around Get Smart. It's wild how much of his career is on Disney movies. I know he tried to break the Family Friendly rut with Baywatch, Rampage and Skyscraper, but those are nothing on Jumanji movies.

Arnold pushed his projects to be more violent and his roles to be less clean-cut good-guys, and The Rock was basically the opposite after a handful of middling movies.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's just a general feel for the business I think. It's Arnold having a strong foundation of "I have a clear idea what audiences want me to do and I'm gonna give it to them", whereas The Rock never really established that and ended up flailing around trying to find it for years. Then in the end he settled into this place where he really only works as an ensemble player where his persona/screen presence doesn't have to carry the whole movie.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Yeah The Rock is good as a foil to the Fast and Furious crew in 5 and has some good moments in later installments but he’s too image conscious to do anything as interesting as Pain & Gain for the foreseeable future.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Remulak posted:

Wife and I watched the whole thing as it was astonishing how The Rock is now so jacked he can't walk convincingly.

Citadel does the background action TV thing pretty well.

Citadel is amazon.

The Rock's journey from 'astonishingly athletic giant man with tons of charisma and determination to pick interesting scripts' to 'bland guy in deeply uninteresting films who can't even do action or walk anymore' is on the nose as a metaphor for America's trajectory over the last few decades.

Basebf555 posted:

It's also the difference between Arnie and Sly. As you say, Arnie worked with a who's who. Directors who were or would have been massive deals even without working with Arnie. There was also a self awareness to Arnie. He basically never did a straightforward action movie after Raw Deal. There's always another angle, something more interesting about the character or the film. It's a horror movie for macho guys with the Predator, it's an over the top exagerration/comedy for Commando (something that the rest of the action genre copied without any self awareness for a good few years) alongside his famous sci fi roles, where he's subverting or commenting on his macho man image as much as playing it.

By contrast, Sly did a series of straightforward, bland action films he either directed himself or got someone he could push around. At least two of his directors (the guy from Judge Dredd and the guy from Demolition Man) swore off ever working with a big star after dealing with Sly. He also had a much worse eye for scripts. On the one hand, Arnie did trick him into being in 'Stop or my Mom will Shoot' on the other hand, he was able to trick him into doing that movie, because apparently Sly couldn't just look at the script and see that it wasn't very good.

The Rock is more in the Sly category now, but instead of his own limitations, he seems to have a group of bland suits who have limitations on his behalf. And it's sad since we've seen hints of what he's capable of.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Very good points.

What really did it for me was seeing The Rock during the pandemic just shill his lovely tequila constantly and become a Z-grade rise and grind guy. When left to his own devices he became a lovely pitchman for himself. It really felt like he got up his own rear end about being a "brand". I suspect that a lot of his choices were made because he wanted to be top dog on the film set and have control.

You're probably unaware of this, but he also has a terrible clothing/shoe line that he's collaborated with the UFC on. The fighters have to wear the shoes and schill for them but do not get paid for it, because the UFC is a terrible organisation even by the standards of US fight promotions. For whatever reason, that was my line with him.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 22, 2023

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Speaking of Netflix, did anyone watch Heart of Stone with Gal Gadot? Saw a ton of polarizing views on the action scenes.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Snowman_McK posted:

You're probably unaware of this, but he also has a terrible clothing/shoe line that he's collaborated with the UFC on. The fighters have to wear the shoes and schill for them but do not get paid for it, because the UFC is a terrible organisation even by the standards of US fight promotions. For whatever reason, that was my line with him.

I was aware and Dana White should be <REDACTED>.

Also the arc of Paul Newman's salad dressing company donating all profits to charity (because Newman already was wealthy from acting) to a bunch of celeb shitheels like The Rock trying to sell you booze and cell service to make themselves even wealthier is another good example of America's deterioration.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I was aware and Dana White should be <REDACTED>.

Also the arc of Paul Newman's salad dressing company donating all profits to charity (because Newman already was wealthy from acting) to a bunch of celeb shitheels like The Rock trying to sell you booze and cell service to make themselves even wealthier is another good example of America's deterioration.

We didn't deserve Paul Newman.

"I'm glad it was you." holy gently caress what a line.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

Comparing the two of them is a fun exercise at this point in their careers.

The Last Action Heroes talked a bit about how Arnold chose his projects. Arnold's big turns towards stardom were in Stay Hungry and Pumping Iron, and he's infamously the villain in Pumping Iron. He relished playing villains. He liked Conan because he wasn't really a good guy. He liked The Terminator because he was an unstoppable killing machine. Commando was his first big move towards being a Hero, and in that he's still a ruthless killer. If he was gonna be the good guy, he wanted to massacre the bad guys. He pushed for more blood and more violence, especially because he was competing against the body counts in Stallone movies, especially Rambo II. Commando and Raw Deal were specifically made to be bloodier than Rambo II. Arnold didn't push for a Comedy until almost 10 years and 9 movies. He liked Twins because he liked DeVito and Ghostbusters and Stripes, and he Reitman saw how charistmatic Arnold was. After Twins was a hit, Reitman convinced him to do Kindergarten Cop, which wasn't specifically supposed to be a Family movie, but it kinda worked out that way. Same with Terminator 2. He was furious that the T-1000 became a good guy that didn't kill anyone, but Cameron convinced him that it was the right decision, and while tons of kids saw it, it wasn't intended to be a Family movie. He says he only did Jingle All the Way because The Last Action Hero and Junior were such flops.

The Rock's big screen debut was The Mummy Returns, where he's on screen for maybe 5 minutes? And he's the villain. Then he immediately changes the character into a Good Guy a year later in The Scorpion King. (He's a anti-hero, but a good guy, right?). I haven't seen The Rundown or Walking Tall, so I can't speak on his presence in that movie, but he's ostensibly a hero there, yeah? But Doom and Southland Tales failed, I don't know anyone who's seen Gridiron Gang. We're only 7-ish years after The Mummy Returns and he's already doing Disney's The Game Plan, then Get Smart, then back to Disney for Race To Witch Mountain, then Planet 51, then Tooth Fairy. The only interesting thing in there is The Other Guys, but he's in it for 5 minutes. Fast Five came at the end of almost half a decade of family movies or PG-13 comedies.

I lost interest in The Rock probably around Get Smart. It's wild how much of his career is on Disney movies. I know he tried to break the Family Friendly rut with Baywatch, Rampage and Skyscraper, but those are nothing on Jumanji movies.

Arnold pushed his projects to be more violent and his roles to be less clean-cut good-guys, and The Rock was basically the opposite after a handful of middling movies.

So, I’ve seen the Rocks entire movie catalogue and it’s mostly filled with forgettable yet enjoyable movies. I’m a sucker for the FF franchise those.

There are very few of his movies i outright hated but the same goes for the other side.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

He's good in Fast movies as Hobbs, as it's a smaller, secondary role. He gets a lot of great moments (the cast, the minigun, executing Reyes, fighting Statham etc) but it's not allowed to be pure idolatry because Vin is watching and he'll cry if Johnson gets too much attention.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Vin Diesel is the least believable action star today

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I don't think he's innately unbelievable - he's at least in OK shape and not 9999 years old. The issue seems to be that he only wants to make F&F movies and collect MCU Voiceover checks. Granted, his voice is insane.

He's done some good acting at times, but the fixation on his franchises' "legacy" means he is Toretto, Riddick, Groot or Xander cage in the vast majority of his appearances. I'm just now seeing they're making yet another Riddick.

He's more than capable of being a good actor, but the ego speaks for itself:

quote:

I'm not gonna put it out there on a magazine cover like some other actors. I come from the Harrison Ford, Marlon Brando, Robert De Niro, Al Pacino code of silence.

(nb: Harrison Ford is famously married to Calista Flockheart and enjoys crashing planes and smoking mega bongs, the other people listed are what I would describe as "messy bitches". )

quote:

What gets harder [about the films] is the work off-screen. The thinking, the expanding... It's hard to continue mythologies. There's a reason why Tolkien stopped writing after a while

(nb: Tolkien continued translating literary works throughout his retirement).

well why not fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Aug 23, 2023

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shageletic posted:

Vin Diesel is the least believable action star today

In his prime the screen presence was legit. I saw Pitch Black in the theater opening weekend, that was a very memorable movie experience because it was so clear that you were seeing a big movie star emerging on the scene. Everyone I was with was talking about him as we left the theater. And that was like a year before The Fast and the Furious came out.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4ZmHCYOgvg

the rock owned lol

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Snowman_McK posted:

Citadel is amazon.

The Rock's journey from 'astonishingly athletic giant man with tons of charisma and determination to pick interesting scripts' to 'bland guy in deeply uninteresting films who can't even do action or walk anymore' is on the nose as a metaphor for America's trajectory over the last few decades.

Turns out The Rock believes he is still in Pain & Gain.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

as a huge wwf fan back in the day, its been wild to see him degrade over time and lose all of the things that really made him special. hell the main reason he even had such a long hollywood career is he is just so charismatic that everyone loved him even if he was in some terrible movie for kids or some trash action flick. for a while he used all the things that made him one of the best wrestlers ever to great effect. then something just snapped and he became this avatar of hustle and grind culture and got so self absorbed he is a parody of his own wrestling character who was a self absorbed ego maniac. the rock as a bad guy never would have done anything as masturbatory as his insane promotions of black adam or the weird fitness drinks or whatever he is associated with, they go too far into being simply uncool and cringey

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I feel like 2016 was around the time things got really bad with The Rock's persona, because that's when he did Central Intelligence with Kevin Hart and they had that whole PR thing going where they would rib each other and make jokes about how they didn't like each other, etc. etc., then a few years later he did the exact same annoying schtick with Emily Blunt when they did Jungle Cruise. Just constantly out there doing dumb interviews where they "spontaneously" make fun of each other. It felt like he started spending more effort crafting his real life persona with the idea that people would love him and therefore go to see his movies as opposed to drawing people by actually giving good performances in good movies.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The Rock being the villain of the Doom movie was basically the only good thing about it.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

I feel like 2016 was around the time things got really bad with The Rock's persona, because that's when he did Central Intelligence with Kevin Hart and they had that whole PR thing going where they would rib each other and make jokes about how they didn't like each other, etc. etc., then a few years later he did the exact same annoying schtick with Emily Blunt when they did Jungle Cruise. Just constantly out there doing dumb interviews where they "spontaneously" make fun of each other. It felt like he started spending more effort crafting his real life persona with the idea that people would love him and therefore go to see his movies as opposed to drawing people by actually giving good performances in good movies.

Reading the press for Black Adam in hindsight is insane. He completely bought into his own hype, he was completely convinced Black Adam would be the new Superman in terms of pop cultural recognition.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I imagine he'll just do streaming movies from here where they pay him a shitload up front and he can exaggerate / make up anything he wants to about the movie's success

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Reading the press for Black Adam in hindsight is insane. He completely bought into his own hype, he was completely convinced Black Adam would be the new Superman in terms of pop cultural recognition.

In fairness, he's still one of the biggest stars in the world and the DC film franchise is an absolute mess right now. I can see how a bid to take things over might make sense on paper

Didn't work out obviously, but you miss 100% of the shots you don't take

Clipperton fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 23, 2023

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
When I read that the Rock was planning to star in a live-action Moana remake, I audibly groaned. I love that movie and I love the Rock in it, but the vibe of this announcement is just so desperate, like he is going back to the one property people won't give him poo poo for revisiting.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Grendels Dad posted:

When I read that the Rock was planning to star in a live-action Moana remake, I audibly groaned. I love that movie and I love the Rock in it, but the vibe of this announcement is just so desperate, like he is going back to the one property people won't give him poo poo for revisiting.

What does this mean for the hierarchy of power in the Walt Disney Computer Animated Universe?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Maybe in like 10 years when his A-list days are fully over The Rock will grow like a long gray beard and do a John Wick-style rated-R action movie. That'd be pretty sweet.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

Maybe in like 10 years when his A-list days are fully over The Rock will grow like a long gray beard and do a John Wick-style rated-R action movie. That'd be pretty sweet.

Wrestlers die young.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
When's the last time the rock power bombed or rock bottomed someone in a fight? Ff5?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Looking over Arnold’s filmography I just found out he starred in a passion project Reign Over Me-style sad widow movie co-produced by Darren Aronofsky and co-starring Scoot McNairy. Anyone seen Aftermath? Doesn’t look actiony but it looks at least interesting given the current conversation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I recently watched The Octagon, to fill in some of my Chuck Norris blank spots.

Pretty fun movie. It's mostly nonsensical. The plot is strangely convoluted. There's a huge emphasis on the idea that people don't know what ninjas are because they've been extinct for over 500 years. There's hints of subplots that vanish after the scene in which they're introduced. There's a whispered VO where Chuck's voice is echoing, but he's doing the echo himself.

The fights are pretty great, though. My only issue is, Chuck is still pretty green in front of the camera, and the stunts are openly choreographed. Chuck will attack one guy, then he'll go rigid and keep his head straight to make it easy for another stunt guy to come up behind him and grab him. So the flow and blocking are a little off.

Still, there's a strange charisma to Chuck's fights. There's a handful of golden hour shots that look very pretty. The whole thing culminates in a lot of ninja fights. I had a good time with it.

Tonight I'm showing some friends one of my favorite Seagals, Marked For Death.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 23, 2023