Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Ok Comboomer posted:

"room temp" is 70-72. I think a lot of ppl would find 78 approaching the "uncomfortably warm indoors" range

We keep the HVAC at 26.5-27 C to avoid getting a cold due to inside-outside difference since it's 33-39C outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

SlowBloke posted:

We keep the HVAC at 26.5-27 C to avoid getting a cold due to inside-outside difference since it's 33-39C outside.

lol what

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

I would greatly appreciate it if we toned down the fiery passion about 20% in this thread.

To go back to my minor WKRP derail,

WKRP's Les Nessman posted:

Now wait just a minute here! Wait a minute! This meeting is starting to lose some of its bitterness!

:v:

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

SlowBloke posted:

there’s levels of insanity here

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

SlowBloke posted:

I do this during peak hours due to variable electricity rates between 2pm and 7pm M-F, but you bet your rear end the moment it hits 7pm the thermostat goes down to 72F.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

SlowBloke posted:

:mods:

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
The AC removing the humidity seems to be more important then the raw air temperature in terms of comfort. I can be comfortable at 74, but miserable at 68 depending.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Anyone who refers to the Linus conundrums as “drama” can gently caress off. Stanning tech YouTubers kills brain cells

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lady Radia posted:

71 as default, 74 when at peak heat hours, 69 at bedtime. This is the way

69 for bedtime, you say

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

It's 78 in here most of the day in the summer and I'm totally fine. 72 would probably even feel chilly to me when it's 90+ outside.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Suffering from chronic rhinitis, if i get a cold i also get "i would like to split my head on the nearest pointy corner thank you" migraines. Also i pay 0,30€/kwh now so i'm not eager to make the HVAC burn power if there is no strict need.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

You let the wolves in. Why would you do that?
72 or 74 during the day is for people who live in rationale places with reasonable climates. Those of who live in stupid places with unreasonble climates (like much of the American Southwest) keep our ACs higher. Not because we enjoy 78+ temps, but because it's too expensive to do otherwise. Or if you have an older unit or an older home with worse insulation your AC may not even be able to keep your house at 72.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

lol

add tropical moisture and prepare to die every morning

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

the poster complaining about central AC was right, its really hard (actually impossible) to balance the temperature in a 2-story house.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

Arivia posted:

69 for bedtime, you say

LinusNice.jpg

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

K8.0 posted:

I'ma say it : Central AC sucks and I'd much rather have minisplits. Air ducts waste an enormous amount of space and are noisy, and for heating forced air is absolute trash.

heat pumps own, sorry about your wrong opinion

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

SlowBloke posted:

This a joke or do you really believe that the common cold comes from low temperatures? Like has that become part of the germ theory denialism that has had a resurgence in the last few years? This future sucks rear end

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Nitr0 posted:

heat pumps own, sorry about your wrong opinion

Mini splits are heat pumps...

Edit: for most installs they are more efficient as well, since you remove the ducting losses and each room gets exactly the cooling it needs directly.

Much easier to insulate a small coolant line than a large air duct.

DP: Seriously, why is anyone sholling for central air cooling? It only exists since we had furnace setups from the word go.

Reversible(Heating & Cooling) mini splits are the future, gently caress central air.

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 22, 2023

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
forced air with a heat pump that can control air flow to upstairs and downstairs zones separately is better than 7 mini splits in your house.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Do we have a heat pump thread anywhere? We've been talking about getting heat pumps installed but I don't know what the best option would be and don't want to clog up the thread with my questions.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah buddy!

HVAC thread: No returns, supplies are limited.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

BattleMaster posted:

This a joke or do you really believe that the common cold comes from low temperatures? Like has that become part of the germ theory denialism that has had a resurgence in the last few years? This future sucks rear end

I mean, if I lower the temp to 25C I start to get runny nose and shivers since my body expect a baseline temp and the environment is lower than that. If you guys can move from 40C to 20C and not have any adverse reaction, I envy your youth and wish to remember that after a certain age you will not be able to pull similar stunts.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
drat ltt takes a week off and this thread starts talking about the drat weather

it's only tuesday lol

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

drat ltt takes a week off and this thread starts talking about the drat weather

it's only tuesday lol

SEND HE;LP

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

SlowBloke posted:

Thats not how getting sick works

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

SlowBloke posted:

I mean, if I lower the temp to 25C I start to get runny nose and shivers since my body expect a baseline temp and the environment is lower than that. If you guys can move from 40C to 20C and not have any adverse reaction, I envy your youth and wish to remember that after a certain age you will not be able to pull similar stunts.

You don't get germs from a temperature drop. :lol:

gently caress lol

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 22, 2023

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

At hostpital, lost fingat!

Gophermaster
Mar 5, 2005

Bring the Ruckas

VostokProgram posted:

the poster complaining about central AC was right, its really hard (actually impossible) to balance the temperature in a 2-story house.

Zoned system, either shutters or preferably 2 units.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Vintersorg posted:

You don't germs from a temperature drop. :lol:

gently caress lol

I never said that tho? I said my body gets hosed up. If you guys feel better i can say "my body will get into an adverse state where it will show symptoms such as migraines, muscle and bone pains, runny nose, shivers, rashes and chilblain" instead of "getting a cold". Good christ.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Words have meanings buddy. You just posted something my dad used to say so the AC stayed off. That he was getting a cold from it being cooler in the house.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Yeah I get some slight sniffles when I go from a heated interior to a cold exterior during Winter but I'd never call that "a cold", that's just "being cold"

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Sigma posted:

Anyone who refers to the Linus conundrums as “drama” can gently caress off. Stanning tech YouTubers kills brain cells

Agreed, I was noticing this too.

Concerns about his channels being seen as trustworthy aside, it further validates the stuff Madison was saying in that whenever she was bringing up legitimate, substantiated issues about her treatment or abuse from others, it was spoke of by upper management and around the office as "drama". Just another cool way to invalidate and perpetuate abuse and not address real issues.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The tonal whiplash is going to be real weird when the next LTT video comes out that was filmed two weeks ago.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Harlock posted:

The tonal whiplash is going to be real weird when the next LTT video comes out that was filmed two weeks ago.

I think the only effect will be the comment section being a 70% of stans congratulating on fighting the woke crowd, 15% of artificial contrarian that would never touch ltt but now they need to fight for feminism or whatever they feel like and 15% real angry people. No adverse effect otherwise.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

SlowBloke posted:

I never said that tho? I said my body gets hosed up. If you guys feel better i can say "my body will get into an adverse state where it will show symptoms such as migraines, muscle and bone pains, runny nose, shivers, rashes and chilblain" instead of "getting a cold". Good christ.

do you tell your kids to come inside when it hits 60 so they don’t catch pneumonia

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

my uncle has been in the hospital for weeks.. he went swimming within an hour after eating … what if it’s terminal

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

my wife isn’t allowed to make dinner anymore.. she tried to boil WARM water instead of cold. I was starving for weeks.. you youngsters just don’t get it

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

BattleHork posted:

I kept it around 78 when I lived in Florida so my power bill wouldn't be three billion dollars nine months out of the year

This is the correct temp.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Lady Radia posted:

my wife isn’t allowed to make dinner anymore.. she tried to boil WARM water instead of cold. I was starving for weeks.. you youngsters just don’t get it

yeah that other guy sure looks weird huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

yeah that other guy sure looks weird huh

oh and here we have stink eye emma. She kept making that face and gets choked up it got stuck like that