Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I mean, they have a suggestion/bugfix email, right? We could straight up give a suggestion, something like

quote:

Dear Mr. Jihoon,

We fans of Project Moon are worried about the state that things are in at this moment. We have not come to shame you for Vellmori-if anything, even though we support her now, we can also acknowledge that you were placed in a tight corner with sudden violent threats.

We are merely suggesting that it maybe be best to step down as a general manager of the entirety of Project Moon and turn your primary focus onto being a creative director and writer.

Crunch culture is toxic and cruel; pushback can only go so far in remedying it. We feel it may be best if you hired more talent-extra artists and animators to lighten the workload, as well as people skilled in management who can set good guidelines that do not force employees to have to 'burn their lives away' (to quote a certain green-haired Sephira-turned-Patron-Librarian.).

We cannot force you to do anything. We would just like you to know that we care for the status of your employees, and are more than willing to endure longer wait times in exchange for more polished and care given to the content.

Sincerely, English Project Moon Fans

Or something to that effect. I tried to phrase it diplomatically, I doubt he'd listen if we came out the gate screaming that he ruined Vellmori and Watson's lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
i hate knowing things i hate knowing things i hate knowing things i hate knowing things i hate knowing things i hate knowing things i hate knowing things i hate knowing things

i hate knowing things

anyways this is bullshit

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Blankspace posted:

sorry i said bad things about gacha, I got bad rolls and it gave me psychic damage

buy the next battlepass if the game is still open in two months and all will be forgiven, my child

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

TeeQueue posted:

i hate knowing things i hate knowing things i hate knowing things i hate knowing things i hate knowing things i hate knowing things i hate knowing things i hate knowing things

i hate knowing things

anyways this is bullshit

Oh right, you knew Watson. That must really loving suck.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
E; bleh

TeeQueue fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Aug 22, 2023

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
What the gently caress is it with this month and horrible PM-related drama? It keeps getting worse!

microfolk
Aug 15, 2023

CATGIRL DEATH INDUSTRIAL
It wouldn't surprise me if this wasn't the end of it too!

Anyways this loving sucks but I'm mostly sorry for Watson, he didn't deserve any of the harassment he was subjected to (nobody does) nor should he or anyone else in the translation teams have to put up with bonkers working conditions like they had to (and probably will continue to). I hate everything about this situation :D

microfolk fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Aug 22, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

a small company whos always had communication/PR and scheduling problems taking on, a live service game, is 100% a problem lol. its not the only problem but its clear they were not ready for what this kind of game entailed at all, and trying to run it with a skeleton crew and a can-do indie spirit is moronic.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

GilliamYaeger posted:

What the gently caress is it with this month and horrible PM-related drama? It keeps getting worse!

A lot of stuff has been building over time, and once the Everything about Vellmori happened everyone with a grievance chimed in with their own stories.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I did some research and while Cool Kids has a few people, even if it is super small, I would like to point out that the Japanese translation is apparently being done by 1 person.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

gacha game TL teams being too small isnt really new. Arknights' is like, 3? 4? people, i think, and that puts out way more content than Limbus. try a canto-sized text block every few weeks instead of every couple of months. its not good but its not a project moon exclusive problem.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

It's terrible Watson received so much harassment, holy poo poo. I'd say some people take games too seriously, but for those sorts of people I think attacking a real person and trying to give them a complete mental health breakdown is the point, and whatever excuse they come up with is just an attempt to seem justified in it.

Translation is inherently going to be something subject to interpretation, especially in languages that aren't very similar to each other. Even in related languages, like French and Spanish, the use of slang and idioms means you're not going to be able to just do a 1:1. I'm monolingual myself, having not really put it enough effort to retain the Spanish I learned in school, but linguistics and translation is a fascinating topic I could spend a lot of time just listening to translators talk about. I know the Canto 4 translation was pretty badly crunched especially for such a wordy Canto, but that's hardly Watson's fault.

I fully support him stepping away for his own health and protection but it's just terrible and ridiculous things got to that point to begin with.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Yinlock posted:

Ch. 4's major story bosses are mostly about punishing you for trying to ignore their gimmicks and focus them down, they're not TOO threatening if you play along(e: and you're leveled and such ofc)

I mean you can still damage rush them but you gotta REALLY go for it or they'll murder you
Yeah, I did the special arcane technique of 'reading the text' in this case formatted on the Limbus Company fandom wiki bc it's easier for me to follow then trying to open a bunch of stuff up in-game mid-battle.

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me

quote:

"The facility is up in flame."

>Continue / Restart the Day / Memory Repository / Restart the Facility

Continue / Restart the Day / Memory Repository / >Restart the Facility

Continue / Restart the Day / Memory Repository / [Restart the Facility]

[TT2 Protocol is unavailable at the moment. Please try again later.]

Continue / Restart the Day / > Memory Repository / Restart the Facility

Continue / Restart the Day / [Memory Repository] / Restart the Facility

Continue / > Restart the Day / Memory Repository / Restart the Facility

Continue / [Restart the Day] / [Memory Repository] / Restart the Facility

> Continue / Restart the Day / Memory Repository / Restart the Facility

[Continue]

"The facility is up in flame. You kept going."

Stupid bullcrap I pulled because the situation remind me too much of a bad day on LobCorp.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

TeeQueue posted:

oh, no.

I mean, yes. But.

this is something else.

something much, much worse.

and frankly the only reason I am not typing a callout document right the gently caress now is because the person hurt most by the whole thing doesn't want to spread more garbage and harassment, because they're a better person than I am.

Suffice to say, there are now a good handful of people who are absolutely, 100% destroy-on-sight for me now. No questions asked. gently caress them.

e: so do you want us to play 20 questions here or what, because without any context this is just a choose-your-own-horror adventure

not implying that you should just blab if the victim asked you not to ofc

Endorph posted:

a small company whos always had communication/PR and scheduling problems taking on, a live service game, is 100% a problem lol. its not the only problem but its clear they were not ready for what this kind of game entailed at all, and trying to run it with a skeleton crew and a can-do indie spirit is moronic.

yeah it was obvious from second 1 that they had no real idea what they were doing

e: "just make a bunch of talking gifs and we'll be rolling in cash" they probably thought, accurately. but forgot that they could barely handle an offline talking jpg game

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Aug 22, 2023

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

What's the reason everyone is so sure for Ryoshu being an adaptation of the lord in the story Hell Screen as well as the painter? The literal meaning of her name? Because the painter was just named Ryoshu in the older story Hell Screen is based off of, and presumably Ryunosuke Akutagawa changed that to Yoshihide in part bc they're alternate readings of the same characters? In personality, Ryoshu maps much more closely to the painter than the lord, being as the lord is cruel and sadistic but covers that in a veneer of being kind and charitable, and he's a notorious sexual abuser. Ryoshu doesn't cover up what she is at all, and like the painter Yoshihide, she has basically zero consideration for social niceties or expectations. The lord has an iron grip on the people around him to the point he'll commit a cruel act in front of everyone and people will bend over backwards to justify why it was actually kind, presumably bc the consequences of not doing so involve getting his attention, whereas Ryoshu doesn't really have that sort of drive for control. Yoshihide and the lord are extremely different characters and it's really hard for me to see Ryoshu as a synthesis of them when so much of her screams 'Yoshihide'.

Shastahanshah
Sep 12, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TeeQueue posted:

oh, no.

I mean, yes. But.

this is something else.

something much, much worse.

and frankly the only reason I am not typing a callout document right the gently caress now is because the person hurt most by the whole thing doesn't want to spread more garbage and harassment, because they're a better person than I am.

Suffice to say, there are now a good handful of people who are absolutely, 100% destroy-on-sight for me now. No questions asked. gently caress them.

This is basically the least helpful thing you can post, FYI. It just inflames speculation while not actually helping anyone and leaving the harasser(s) in question free to do this to the next guy they don't like. It's the missing stair analogy, except without giving any warning about which is missing.

I respect that the person who was harassed just wants this to go away, and if it was just internet drama I'd understand it. I hope someone at least tells whoever is translating next what they're getting into.

It's probably not as bad to say here as on the discord, but I'm sure I'm not the only person from there who came here.

Endorph posted:

gacha game TL teams being too small isnt really new. Arknights' is like, 3? 4? people, i think, and that puts out way more content than Limbus. try a canto-sized text block every few weeks instead of every couple of months. its not good but its not a project moon exclusive problem.

Yeah like I know a bunch of people were predicting something like this happening and well, here we are. I truly want pm to get better, but its impossible to say if they'll try.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Yinlock posted:

not implying that you should just blab if the victim asked you not to ofc

This is the one.

And you’re right, it wasn’t particularly helpful. I simply wished to do a primal scream of “I hate not being able to do anything about it.”

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

im sure the victim appreciates you vaguely alluding to it on a forum with 7000 users

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

im sure the victim appreciates you vaguely alluding to it on a forum with 7000 users

…. Y’know what I earned that one.

DuoRogue
Jul 19, 2022

My secret? I don't have any bones.
man.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

DropTheAnvil
May 16, 2021

Endorph posted:

im sure the victim appreciates you vaguely alluding to it on a forum with 700 users

700 users, not 7,000

mercurially
May 7, 2022

Gaining back pain stacks at the speed of light!
When it rains, it really does pour. There's not much I feel like I can add to the discussion that hasn't been brought up already aside from echoing the sentiment on "Limbus being a gacha absolutely exacerbated this"

but man, none of this feels great.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

mercurially posted:

When it rains, it really does pour. There's not much I feel like I can add to the discussion that hasn't been brought up already aside from echoing the sentiment on "Limbus being a gacha absolutely exacerbated this"

but man, none of this feels great.

it's not exactly the root cause but still, gacha: not even once

Numbus26
Jun 23, 2023
can't believe that gacha games single-handedly caused every problem humanity has ever encountered ever since leaving the forests of africa
smh my head, why would project moon be so irresponsible to spread this hazard in pursuit of petty capital

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Numbus26 posted:

can't believe that gacha games single-handedly caused every problem humanity has ever encountered ever since leaving the forests of africa
smh my head, why would project moon be so irresponsible to spread this hazard in pursuit of petty capital
this is a very weird way to respond to people going 'the company with a number of employees that actually make the game you can count on your fingers, toes, ears, and nose, that had to hastily patch an early access game's ending, should probably not have thought they could do a live service game'

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Numbus26 posted:

hmm yes that's totally what people were saying, you really got them with this one

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Oh boy. I don't know who Watson is, this is the first time I'm hearing of them. But that loving sucks. gently caress them people.

And the game is going to suffer as a result. We're losing VellMori's illustrations and now we're losing the editor of the great translation Limbus had.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
unsarcastically if Heathcliff starts becoming more comprehensible I will go into mourning

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Endorph posted:

this is a very weird way to respond to people going 'the company with a number of employees that actually make the game you can count on your fingers, toes, ears, and nose, that had to hastily patch an early access game's ending, should probably not have thought they could do a live service game'

at the very least they should probably invest some of the apparently pretty good gacha profits they're getting into hiring more staff

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Is it just me or is the game way smoother after the update? Combat felt way different just running on Steam. I know they're looking to get optimizations in but I guess the sound changes really helped!

Did a bunch of 10pulls on the new banner because the gacha is made up and the Lunacy doesn't matter, four pulls got me W.H.L. but not the 000. Or anything 000, actually. Vengeance for pulling both 4.5 things in one I guess.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Ayndin posted:

Is it just me or is the game way smoother after the update? Combat felt way different just running on Steam. I know they're looking to get optimizations in but I guess the sound changes really helped!

Did a bunch of 10pulls on the new banner because the gacha is made up and the Lunacy doesn't matter, four pulls got me W.H.L. but not the 000. Or anything 000, actually. Vengeance for pulling both 4.5 things in one I guess.

This was a performance update by patch notes so I’d hope it’s not just you!

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

W Ryoshu is very solid. S1 is a weak point in her kit, though it does pretty reasonable damage if you hit it unopposed. It definitely seems like a UT4 kit, much like W Don. You get a lot of juice with the extra coin power on S2 and S3 (and then a bunch of minor number buffs on top).

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

I can see an RR2 setup involving her, wdon, and R Heath + maybe R Ishmael, in which the idea is to use an overclocked telepole don turn 1, then on turn 2 unleashing everyone's S3 and just deleting anything.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

RottenK posted:

at the very least they should probably invest some of the apparently pretty good gacha profits they're getting into hiring more staff
Yeah this is my thought. Like I don't mind them using a gacha game to fund the studio, especially since I really like the writing and characters in Limbus Company, but I'd like if that money actually gets reinvested into hiring the staff to make the gacha setup more viable long-term so that people aren't just crashing and burning.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Tricky posted:

W Ryoshu is very solid. S1 is a weak point in her kit, though it does pretty reasonable damage if you hit it unopposed. It definitely seems like a UT4 kit, much like W Don. You get a lot of juice with the extra coin power on S2 and S3 (and then a bunch of minor number buffs on top).

TeeQueue posted:

I can see an RR2 setup involving her, wdon, and R Heath + maybe R Ishmael, in which the idea is to use an overclocked telepole don turn 1, then on turn 2 unleashing everyone's S3 and just deleting anything.

yeah she's got the w meur issue(though not as extreme) of needing more charge than she can really generate, but with a way better payoff. she also gets bonuses for hoarding Charge which gives her more leeway if her draws are bad. shame about Ryoshu's usual useless on kill effects but they don't ruin her loadout's effectiveness so :shrug:

e: and she showed up on the first 10 pull so welp guess i'm using her

e2: charge-count wise Hong Lu is kind of a beast, S1 and S2 both give 6 if they hit

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Aug 24, 2023

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

W Ryoshu's uptie story is in first person, and hilarious

our hero lands her dream job, but runs into her greatest challenge yet: being promoted and having to babysit newbies instead of exploring the Meat Murder Art Gallery

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Yinlock posted:

W Ryoshu's uptie story is in first person, and hilarious

our hero lands her dream job, but runs into her greatest challenge yet: being promoted and having to babysit newbies instead of exploring the Meat Murder Art Gallery
Can't have poo poo in the City.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I'm going to be completely honest and admit that this whole situation filled me with such mallaise that I haven't touched Limbus for a solid 3 weeks or so. I'm downloading the update now, trying to get back into things.

What about W Hong Lu's story? Any fascinating new tales of How hosed Up My Family Is? The K Corp story intrigued me about the idea that if Hong Lu's working for a Corp, it's because his family set it up for him because they want something out of the deal, and the alternate implication that if he's a Fixer or a Syndicate member it means he's a family dropout or got kicked out somehow.