Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

It's really surprised me the obscure things they've put in BG3 from earlier editions. Ran into a spectator (oddly specific beholder) and hook horrors. Also bringing up Karsus from a 2nd ed Forgotten Realms supplement.

The spectator fight is absolute bullshit that made me quit for the night, but...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Marcade posted:

It's really surprised me the obscure things they've put in BG3 from earlier editions. Ran into a spectator (oddly specific beholder) and hook horrors. Also bringing up Karsus from a 2nd ed Forgotten Realms supplement.

The spectator fight is absolute bullshit that made me quit for the night, but...

BG3's a direct sequel to older edition games so it makes sense.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

There was a spectator in BG2 but I don't remember hook horrors.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Give me a Flumph, cowards!

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Marcade posted:

There was a spectator in BG2 but I don't remember hook horrors.

Hook Horrors were in Icewind Dale II and one of the NWN expansions at least.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

DrBouvenstein posted:

Give me a Flumph, cowards!

you can summon them as karlach if you go the wild magic route with her

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

JPrime posted:

you can summon them as karlach if you go the wild magic route with her

Nice, box checked.

Now what about Modrons?

I'll accept these 5e designs, but I really want those goofy-rear end 1st edition ones;

This last guy is JUST what I need to finish that shelf I'm building...

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Weren't those "5th edition" designs from as early as 2nd/3rd edition? I know Planescape Torment had the clockwork Modron in it already.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Shard posted:

In Baldur's Gate 3 you can use a spell to speak to dead. But if you killed the person you try to use the spell on their spirit won't speak to you because they are mad you killed them. So what you do is use the disguise self spell and make yourself look like someone else and then use the spell and now they will.

There’s a small handful where this rule doesn’t apply and its always a treat. I killed (Act 3 stuff pretty late) Gortash and wanted to poo poo talk his ghost. Bane answered instead because Gortash was busy getting his soul turned inside out for failing him.

Bussamove has a new favorite as of 08:36 on Aug 23, 2023

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Randalor posted:

Weren't those "5th edition" designs from as early as 2nd/3rd edition? I know Planescape Torment had the clockwork Modron in it already.

Maybe. I just copied an image on a wiki that implied they were from fifth.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Nice, box checked.

Now what about Modrons?

I'll accept these 5e designs, but I really want those goofy-rear end 1st edition ones;

This last guy is JUST what I need to finish that shelf I'm building...

Incredible avatar potential, those.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

M̷̢̧̧̡̢̡̪̲̲̻͖͚̻͉̠̝̭̹̆̅͆̍̆̑͊͑́̾̓̍̋̈́͋̅̄̕͘̚͜ͅͅĮ̴̧̢̧͖̝̫͍͔̺̘̟̤̭̠̻̥̼͓͕͍̜͕͕̀́͋͐͋̆̓͌̑́̾̆̆̾̉́̀̑́̏͜͝K̷̛̲͉͙̥̲̹̲͉̥͓̤͕̜͎̘͓̙̙̗̩͖̀͐͗̋̀̇̈́̈́̓̉͛̈́̆̈̍̿͂́̓͘͜͝ͅȨ̷̢̲̮̻̪͉̼̝̞͚͓̲͉̖̞̮̖͎͉̣͕͈͉̘̥̀͂̄͋̃́̽̊͒̈́͐̏̔͒̑̉̾͌̋͐͑͘͝͠ ̸̨̡̦͙̣͓̼͙̠̙̱̦͓̳͇̖͉̳̖͓̰͙̗̓̔̄͂̎̃͂͌͗̓̍͊̀̎̐̾̿̇̇̆̊͒ͅW̴̧̨͙̪̜̠̻̻̩̳̼̜̘̹͓̲̜͕͎̦̆̌̎͌͂̔͌̀̇͂̊͑̇̉̀̋͋̈͑̓͐͛̂͗̔͜͝ͅḀ̴̧̮̟͕͚̗̺̠̰̭͕̹̳̫̣̰͙̤̗̝̭͔͖̈̏̐͛̆̽̒͑̒̽̅̄̈́͋̿̎͗̊̈́͂̍̕͠͠Z̸̨̢̡͖̪̣̟͇̞̫̦̮̖̳̮̙̹̞͓̥͎̪̝̰̜͌̓̐̊̓͛̂̎̈́̽̽́͑̂͊̔͘͜͝͝͝͝Ö̶̡̧̢̢̖̭̬̮̳̝̰͎̖͎̣̤̲̬̙͇̪̪̏͂̍͑̊̅̽̔͆̎̊͆͊̾̔̇̅̋͘̕͜͝͝ͅW̶̢̢̛̪̤̞̫̮̼̰̺̼̱̲̗̹̘̝͍͂̐̇̆̍̄̉̉͊͑̏̉̓̾̆̊̌̿̆́̃͑̚͜͝͠ͅ§̸̧̨̡̢̤̫̘̬̩͍̠̠͇̭̬̙̞͖͍͇̤̜̖͕̙͗̑̀̏͋̓̔͒̑̿̂̑̽̐͊̿̋͒̊̏̈͐͒̋̚ͅK̵̢̧̢̛̟̙̣̤̺̗̘͕̖̹̣̩̦̻̲̘̬͑̋̑͑̊̄̃̓̑̓̈́̄̈́͒͘̕̕͝͝͠͝͝͝Ì̸̢̡̢̛̪̦̜̣̟̗͍̪̞̭͕̫̰̤̟̙̣̗͕̖͔̰̉̓͊̋͆̊̈́̔͋̔̌͊́̀̌̋̿̕͝͠
:gonk:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Captain Hygiene posted:

M̷̢̧̧̡̢̡̪̲̲̻͖͚̻͉̠̝̭̹̆̅͆̍̆̑͊͑́̾̓̍̋̈́͋̅̄̕͘̚͜ͅͅĮ̴̧̢̧͖̝̫͍͔̺̘̟̤̭̠̻̥̼͓͕͍̜͕͕̀́͋͐͋̆̓͌̑́̾̆̆̾̉́̀̑́̏͜͝K̷̛̲͉͙̥̲̹̲͉̥͓̤͕̜͎̘͓̙̙̗̩͖̀͐͗̋̀̇̈́̈́̓̉͛̈́̆̈̍̿͂́̓͘͜͝ͅȨ̷̢̲̮̻̪͉̼̝̞͚͓̲͉̖̞̮̖͎͉̣͕͈͉̘̥̀͂̄͋̃́̽̊͒̈́͐̏̔͒̑̉̾͌̋͐͑͘͝͠ ̸̨̡̦͙̣͓̼͙̠̙̱̦͓̳͇̖͉̳̖͓̰͙̗̓̔̄͂̎̃͂͌͗̓̍͊̀̎̐̾̿̇̇̆̊͒ͅW̴̧̨͙̪̜̠̻̻̩̳̼̜̘̹͓̲̜͕͎̦̆̌̎͌͂̔͌̀̇͂̊͑̇̉̀̋͋̈͑̓͐͛̂͗̔͜͝ͅḀ̴̧̮̟͕͚̗̺̠̰̭͕̹̳̫̣̰͙̤̗̝̭͔͖̈̏̐͛̆̽̒͑̒̽̅̄̈́͋̿̎͗̊̈́͂̍̕͠͠Z̸̨̢̡͖̪̣̟͇̞̫̦̮̖̳̮̙̹̞͓̥͎̪̝̰̜͌̓̐̊̓͛̂̎̈́̽̽́͑̂͊̔͘͜͝͝͝͝Ö̶̡̧̢̢̖̭̬̮̳̝̰͎̖͎̣̤̲̬̙͇̪̪̏͂̍͑̊̅̽̔͆̎̊͆͊̾̔̇̅̋͘̕͜͝͝ͅW̶̢̢̛̪̤̞̫̮̼̰̺̼̱̲̗̹̘̝͍͂̐̇̆̍̄̉̉͊͑̏̉̓̾̆̊̌̿̆́̃͑̚͜͝͠ͅ§̸̧̨̡̢̤̫̘̬̩͍̠̠͇̭̬̙̞͖͍͇̤̜̖͕̙͗̑̀̏͋̓̔͒̑̿̂̑̽̐͊̿̋͒̊̏̈͐͒̋̚ͅK̵̢̧̢̛̟̙̣̤̺̗̘͕̖̹̣̩̦̻̲̘̬͑̋̑͑̊̄̃̓̑̓̈́̄̈́͒͘̕̕͝͝͠͝͝͝Ì̸̢̡̢̛̪̦̜̣̟̗͍̪̞̭͕̫̰̤̟̙̣̗͕̖͔̰̉̓͊̋͆̊̈́̔͋̔̌͊́̀̌̋̿̕͝͠
:gonk:

Huh.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've started playing Forspoken and honestly don't hate the protagonist, I get where she's coming from and like how the world is dragging her more and more into saving it, at this early point simply because one of the villains showed up and resulted in the death of a new friend of hers. If she hadn't done that the protagonist would have just got the girl's father back, got her book and started figuring out how to open a portal home. Now she's interfered she's got in her poo poo list and the one thing Frey wants to do now before going home is kill her.

I am also finding the combat kind of fun and I like the enemy designs. The whole idea of "These were normal animals but now they are broken" is an interesting one, like the former humans who have become bird-like but cannot fly. They didn't evolve bird parts to allow them to fly, they grew useless bird parts because they are broken and aren't functioning properly.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
I don't think the main complaints were about hating Frey, it was about the fact that she's written in a way that makes you think she hates being in the game.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, her life made her grow a prickly and hostile shell, which is understandable. So it’s how she relates to this new world but someone like that isn’t fun to spend time with, at least at first

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I saw someone’s abridged playthrough summary thing and if nothing else it’s interesting to have someone who is pretty much foisted into the isekai savior role who just loving wants to go home because they never asked for it. It’s the kind of thing that’s hard to do well though for sure without rubbing people the wrong way, see: Neku from The World Ends With You, who starts off being irrationally hostile to just about everyone because he blames himself for the death of one of his only friends because they got in an accident on the way to meet up with him so he shuts everyone out as a reflex, but since the reason doesn’t get explained until halfway through the postgame dungeon a lot of people aren’t the biggest fan of him.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I think the struggle with Frey is that she's somehow on both of the worst extremes of the 'protagonist enthusiasm' axis. In practice when playing the game she's unpleasant and unfun because she's not having a pleasant or fun time... but when the game was in its hype cycle they were instead highlighting the MCU-style quippiness that repelled a whole different crowd. End result was that she feels like she undermines the game around her from both sides.

Which was apparently only an issue in English; the Japanese advertising instead focused on the villain and the world, and was a lot more effective.

(I personally also don't like Frey because she shares a name with the most overrated character in Final Fantasy XIV, but that's not really Forspoken's fault)

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 03:37 on Aug 24, 2023

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Does game feature a chariot-pulled-by-cats as a mount option y/n?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You don’t need a mount because you can run at 80mph and jump over buildings

But yes there are an enormous number of cats

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
There are some aspects of Forspoken's writing that I'm finding fun, like when she first dubs the corruption The Break-poo poo because that's what it does, breaks poo poo. Then she's talking about it to her fantasy world friend, and when she refers to it the same way Frey's just like "Let's just stick with "Break'" for now yeah?" I like that she's recognising that it's a bit weird that her harsh NY language is in some way infecting the discourse of the world and that she's trying to not let that happen too much. I am hoping that it naturally escalates though, like maybe after getting back from a later boss she'd be like "So, did you gently caress her up?"

The movement is also fun, like I've discovered that if you fire a spell in mid-air it seems to let you use another circle button dash to get a littel more distance, or at least it slows your descent.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 06:56 on Aug 24, 2023

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

. It’s the kind of thing that’s hard to do well though for sure without rubbing people the wrong way, see: Neku from The World Ends With You, who starts off being irrationally hostile to just about everyone because he blames himself for the death of one of his only friends because they got in an accident on the way to meet up with him so he shuts everyone out as a reflex, but since the reason doesn’t get explained until halfway through the postgame dungeon a lot of people aren’t the biggest fan of him.

Between this splash screen coming up and the fact that the post game is all of the characters both A: being super into a minigame to a Yu-Gi-Oh/Beyblade level and B:nearly all being alive simultaneously and acting completely different, you're not supposed to take the post game as relevant to anything happening in the main one.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Between this splash screen coming up and the fact that the post game is all of the characters both A: being super into a minigame to a Yu-Gi-Oh/Beyblade level and B:nearly all being alive simultaneously and acting completely different, you're not supposed to take the post game as relevant to anything happening in the main one.

I mean, most of the postgame is definitely taking the piss, but the final dungeon is the one serious part and iirc ends up tying back to the main story in a pretty direct way since the final boss is Hanekoma from the main story universe so it always read as being the alternate timeline where Neku turned into a Beyblade character because someone was there to help him process his grief in a healthy way, and also they couldn’t work his backstory organically into the main story.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

En Garde! js all around a fun and cute time, but one particular little thing I noticed about is that it uses an oil-painting filter for far-away pieces of geometry. It's a clever trick to disguise LoD changes in a way that not only preserves but overall enhances the storybook aesthetic.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

I've started playing Forspoken and honestly don't hate the protagonist, I get where she's coming from and like how the world is dragging her more and more into saving it, at this early point simply because one of the villains showed up and resulted in the death of a new friend of hers. If she hadn't done that the protagonist would have just got the girl's father back, got her book and started figuring out how to open a portal home. Now she's interfered she's got in her poo poo list and the one thing Frey wants to do now before going home is kill her.

I am also finding the combat kind of fun and I like the enemy designs. The whole idea of "These were normal animals but now they are broken" is an interesting one, like the former humans who have become bird-like but cannot fly. They didn't evolve bird parts to allow them to fly, they grew useless bird parts because they are broken and aren't functioning properly.

It is hard to get particularly upset at Frey when the same year gave us the Atomic Heart shithead and Jak from Immortals who are worse in every way. (But nobody got as angry at them for some reason.)

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

ImpAtom posted:

It is hard to get particularly upset at Frey when the same year gave us the Atomic Heart shithead and Jak from Immortals who are worse in every way. (But nobody got as angry at them for some reason.)

Wonder what the reason is!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

ImpAtom posted:

I think it's because they featured Frey's wisecracking in the trailers. Atomic Heart guy and Jak were pretty silent in the trailers for their games (smart move)

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Cleretic posted:

(I personally also don't like Frey because she shares a name with the most overrated character in Final Fantasy XIV, but that's not really Forspoken's fault)

This isn't the bad opinions thread, ya know. :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

jokes posted:

Wonder what the reason is!

It's a mystery for sure.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Perestroika posted:

En Garde! js all around a fun and cute time, but one particular little thing I noticed about is that it uses an oil-painting filter for far-away pieces of geometry. It's a clever trick to disguise LoD changes in a way that not only preserves but overall enhances the storybook aesthetic.

I played the demo for En Garde and it seemed really fun and vibrant. Once I'm done with BG3 I'll probably go check it out!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Also Frey ISN'T a shithead. She hates the situation she's in and has a temper, but when interacting with people who treat her with some level of respect she's relatively kind (she especially shows enormous patience with Bob). As shown in the intro when she entrusts the care of her cat to the judge. She's not irresponsible, stupid or mean, just stuck in a bad situation in NY, and then forced into a world that's got a form of magical rabies devouring the entire place and driving it to madness and paranoia. She's a bit aloof, but she's fair in how she treats people (after an initial cold period until they prove themselves to not be garbage) and sometimes gives good advice. She even indulges people when she really doesn't have to, like agreeing to take photos of the outside world for the children.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I never heard of En Garde! That looks helluva fun. Is it more of a M/K or controller game?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

In a weaselly higher pitched Kermit voice Well that's because they came from smaller studios than Square Enix!

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I never heard of En Garde! That looks helluva fun. Is it more of a M/K or controller game?

You can technically do it M/K but it definitely leans much more controller, to the point where the game itself outright recommends it. There's a fair bit of running and hopping around while attacking and countering, so that's generally more controller-friendly.

exquisite tea posted:

I played the demo for En Garde and it seemed really fun and vibrant. Once I'm done with BG3 I'll probably go check it out!

It's a really good time, I picked it up as sort of a contrast to BG3 to have something lighter and quicker. I can absolutely recommend it, the only thing I would note that it's a bit on the shorter side. Depending on how much you get out of doing challenges, secrets, and arenas, it's somewhere in the 3-5 hour range.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Morpheus posted:

I think it's because they featured Frey's wisecracking in the trailers. Atomic Heart guy and Jak were pretty silent in the trailers for their games (smart move)

Hm, nope, don't think that's what it is!

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Real Swashbucklers Use a Gamepad imo

I think it'd be playable but I really wouldn't recommend it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Thanks for the answers. now I need to decide between it as Blasph2.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
En Garde is very fun. For a little thing it features: you don't actually kill your enemies when you defeat them in combat. If you hang around for a while you can hear them from the floor grumbling things like, "her vision... is based... on movement..."

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

In Forspoken I just found the most adorable collectible - a little magic cat that's now Frey's friend and hangs out at her sanctuaries. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Perestroika posted:

This game looked really fun in an iron pineapple video