Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
for $1600, buy an embody. that is insane money for an aeron. do not buy a new aeron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Holy poo poo the Gesture is so comfortable. This is the first time I have truly felt comfortable in a chair (I’m 6’3” and ~210lbs, with linebacker shoulders and freakishly long limbs…nothing fits me.)

I tried the Leap and Aeron before this - both felt comfortable at first but got uncomfortable quickly. I’ve been using the Gesture all week and it’s just obnoxiously good. It actually makes me want to sit at my desk.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
I'm not using them for long periods at a time, but I've been hoarding Steelcase 451s and use them for a lot of stuff and they are super comfy. Why isn't some factory in China cranking out copies of this design? It can't be expensive to make at scale.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

Just ordered an Aeron Gaming size C, which is the same as a regular with all the upgrades, just in a black Onyx color.

DWR (and HM) have 20% off living room and gaming, plus my Capital One card gave 8% bonus cash back. It'll never be cheaper.
Aeron arrived today and holy crap it immediately destroys my Staples Hyken. You think, the Hyken is a decent mesh chair, how different could they be? A lot, is the answer.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

Aeron arrived today and holy crap it immediately destroys my Staples Hyken. You think, the Hyken is a decent mesh chair, how different could they be? A lot, is the answer.
So I looked over the Aeron for any manufacturing defects and everything seems to be in working order EXCEPT on the left armrest, the seam on the outer edge is rough and jagged:

The same area on the right armrest is smooth:

Since this is on the outer edge, my arm/elbow won't rub against it, and since it's toward the back, I don't touch it when I'm pivoting the armrest in/out. HOWEVER, since I've never bought a $2000 chair before, I don't know whether this should be considered acceptable manufacturing variation.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You're not happy and it's soured your opinion of a new product, call it in and get the armrest replaced. Overstate the issue if you have to.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
What are the opinions on refurbished chairs from Amazon? I could get a Herman Miller Mirra for $500. It seems like a good deal compared to my back hurting home office chair.

Or is it really necessary to buy new for $1500 or so? This is could be my starter chair as my budget isn't ready yet for a 2k chair.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is it Amazon or is it a marketplace job? I'd say it depends on the returns policy and who pays for the package to be collected.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Just posting to say that 8 months later I still love my Embody and it blows my old hand me down Aeron out of the water.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Peachfart posted:

Just posting to say that 8 months later I still love my Embody and it blows my old hand me down Aeron out of the water.

i've had an embody for 7 years now. it's an extremely good chair.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Josh Lyman posted:

DWR (and HM) have 20% off living room and gaming, plus my Capital One card gave 8% bonus cash back. It'll never be cheaper.
wait how does that work? I have a capital one card like 40% of the nation and need to buy something for my living room at DWR

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

TenementFunster posted:

wait how does that work? I have a capital one card like 40% of the nation and need to buy something for my living room at DWR
The bonus cash back is through their shopping portal. So you sign in on the Capital One website, go to shopping offers, and click through their version of a sponsored link. I would suggest turning off adblock since that can sometimes mess with the cookies required to validate the purchase.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Josh Lyman posted:

The bonus cash back is through their shopping portal. So you sign in on the Capital One website, go to shopping offers, and click through their version of a sponsored link. I would suggest turning off adblock since that can sometimes mess with the cookies required to validate the purchase.
god help me for what i am about to do

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Vegetable posted:

I just bought an Embody off one of those office liquidation stores. $700, excluding taxes. I like it so far but the arms are a little looser than I expected. They jiggle. Maybe there’s a screw I can tighten.

What are some good office liquidation stores in the bay area to look for? I was thinking about finally replacing my old Steelcase Leap V2 with an Embody and it seems tempting if I could find one for around that price

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Rabid Snake posted:

What are some good office liquidation stores in the bay area to look for? I was thinking about finally replacing my old Steelcase Leap V2 with an Embody and it seems tempting if I could find one for around that price
I PMed you.

Unrelatedly, I cleaned my Embody with tap water and a paper towel. I left it to dry and it left a water stain on the seat. I’ve tried to spot clean it afterwards with filtered water and a hairdryer but it’s not getting any better. This is real dumb. I don’t understand how this fabric reacts so strongly to plain water.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Vegetable posted:

Unrelatedly, I cleaned my Embody with tap water and a paper towel. I left it to dry and it left a water stain on the seat. I’ve tried to spot clean it afterwards with filtered water and a hairdryer but it’s not getting any better. This is real dumb. I don’t understand how this fabric reacts so strongly to plain water.

Tap water can have a lot of minerals in it. I live somewhere with very hard water, and mineral build up is a big problem if you don't have a water softener.

Personally I would take some vinegar and dilute it down 2:1 with distilled water, and gently try to blot the stain away using as little vinegar/water as possible. The vinegar should help dissolve the minerals. Make sure its distilled water. Bottled water often has minerals added to it for taste, and I don't know if home filters catch all the minerals.

I would not do that unless I knew vinegar was safe on the fabric though, maybe shoot an email to HM and see what they recommend.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I got paid a small bonus at work and decided my four-year-old off-brand Amazon gamer chair needed replacing. After perusing this thread for a bit I hit Facebook Marketplace and found a guy with both a $240 Mirra 2 and a $300 Aeron v2 for sale. Gonna go try them out tomorrow morning and see which one I like. Thanks for the tips guys!

e: just got home with the Mirra. My back feels better already.

prayer group fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 26, 2023

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

prayer group posted:

I got paid a small bonus at work and decided my four-year-old off-brand Amazon gamer chair needed replacing. After perusing this thread for a bit I hit Facebook Marketplace and found a guy with both a $240 Mirra 2 and a $300 Aeron v2 for sale. Gonna go try them out tomorrow morning and see which one I like. Thanks for the tips guys!

e: just got home with the Mirra. My back feels better already.
one less gamer chair

gobbless

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001
I need a new chair, after my second hand aeron has completely died. I think they used cheap parts to refurb it and it broke after the 12 month warranty.
Looking at the embody, the 'herman miller x logitech' version says they have made changes to the seat to be 'more comfortable to the gamer', are there any strong opinions on the difference?

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
Sat in an embody once and own the logitech version.
My opinion is to go with whichever you can get cheaper.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Doug Sisk posted:

I need a new chair, after my second hand aeron has completely died. I think they used cheap parts to refurb it and it broke after the 12 month warranty.
Looking at the embody, the 'herman miller x logitech' version says they have made changes to the seat to be 'more comfortable to the gamer', are there any strong opinions on the difference?

Can you get in touch with a local used furniture store, especially office, that has a repair department? They often have OEM or aftermarket Aeron parts on hand or have an easy supplier and way to identify part numbers. My place in Chicago can repair any chair issue probably, they’ll disassemble it like a gun and put it all back together. Might be cheaper than replacement assuming you still enjoy Aeron.

I bought mine there, it’s ancient but has a new piston and they added functions like tilt lock that weren’t optioned on it originally.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 28, 2023

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

After 3 years, my Hyken is finally reaching the point where I'm done with it. Not bad at all for the sub-$200 price point, and I could probably tough it out for another year if I needed, but that's no fun.

So I'm looking at getting a real deal office chair that I expect to last 10+ years. I've got an Aeron C at the office, and it's fine, albeit a little short, and the armrests don't raise/lower.

The primary Hyken-replacement contender is the Steelcase Karman. At ~$1200, it ain't cheap, but it's a substantial discount compared to an Embody.

Anyone sat in one? Unfortunately there don't seem to be any local dealers.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

marxismftw posted:

The primary Hyken-replacement contender is the Steelcase Karman. At ~$1200, it ain't cheap, but it's a substantial discount compared to an Embody.

For all the more expensive chairs, list price can be ignored. Get quotes from local distributors and compare them.

I got an Embody for $1150 + tax back in January.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
The Embody has been on sale for 25% off from the HM website a few times now (and likely to happen again in a couple months for the holidays), so I've no doubt you could swing an even better price talking to a dealer in person.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

marxismftw posted:

At ~$1200, it ain't cheap, but it's a substantial discount compared to an Embody.
no it isnt. get an embody.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Steelcase seem to have a 15% discount on most if not all chairs at least, you probably have to use an affiliate link here: https://arstechnica.com/shopping/2023/08/dealmaster-labor-day-discounts-on-steelcase-chairs-lg-oled-tvs-lenovo-laptops-and-more/

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

mobby_6kl posted:

Steelcase seem to have a 15% discount on most if not all chairs at least, you probably have to use an affiliate link here: https://arstechnica.com/shopping/2023/08/dealmaster-labor-day-discounts-on-steelcase-chairs-lg-oled-tvs-lenovo-laptops-and-more/

That's incredibly tempting... prices are pretty much on par with Crandall's grade A Leap factory returns, but for a certified fart-free chair

Which, after about four years of nonstop ten plus hour days, I'm ready to throw in the towel on the Maxnomic. The chair itself is still really sturdy, but man, I need that lumbar support, and a straight backwards tilt and lumbar pillow ain't cutting it on lower back pain that's starting to crop up as the cushion gave up all attempts at pushin. Not to mention the vinyl covering has long hit the shed point.

After going down the google rabbithole, I'm stuck between the Embody and Leap. Which one is better for someone that's on the wrong end of the height bellcurve? To the point of having a permanent lump on their head from hitting it on so many things :ohdear:

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I'm 5'7" and have a Think, not a Leap, so this is not directly relevant, but it's fine enough, I guess. Nevertheless I'm looking to move up to an Embody.

Edit oh wait do you mean being tall is at the wrong end of the spectrum 🤔

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

mobby_6kl posted:

probably timed to complete with the 20% off Herman Miller semi-annual sale that just started today

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Happiness Commando posted:

I'm 5'7" and have a Think, not a Leap, so this is not directly relevant, but it's fine enough, I guess. Nevertheless I'm looking to move up to an Embody.

Edit oh wait do you mean being tall is at the wrong end of the spectrum 🤔

Yeah... it's nice being able to see at concerts, but between trying to find clothes and the now chairs that fit, it's grim being a distant relative to bigfoot.

I just recently found a used office furniture store near me, and this Leap V1 with a taller back caught my attention. I'm hoping to get off work early enough to head out there this afternoon and try it out. I can't seem to find out much about this particular model, seems to be a specialty model or something. I'm also thinking I might just be better off with a quality knit fabric Leap V2.

Otherwise, if I'm looking at used steelcase chairs online, I should probably just stick with Crandall, right?

I found a workaround for mounting an Aeron headrest that doesn't require drilling or permanent modification, so I'm leaning towards just buying a used Leap, and getting rollerblade wheels and a headrest after the fact since I don't see much in the way of used with the factory headrest.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Any mat recs? I moved to a new apartment with pretty decent hardwood floors, so I want to make an effort not to damage them. My chair is a Mirra 2 with the stock rolling casters. Are those lovely plastic mats still any decent, or have we moved on? (Also why are they like $45 now.)

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Pollyanna posted:

Any mat recs? I moved to a new apartment with pretty decent hardwood floors, so I want to make an effort not to damage them. My chair is a Mirra 2 with the stock rolling casters. Are those lovely plastic mats still any decent, or have we moved on? (Also why are they like $45 now.)
the HM factory glides, with some felt pads on the bottom if you get TOO much “glide”

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Wouldn’t that cause scrapes and scratches if any sediment gets under the gliders? I thought gliders were bad for hardwood because of that.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You need hard floor casters, which have soft wheels. You should be able to get non-genuine ones, I did this about 10 years ago for a Steelcase Think and paid £2.50 per wheel.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Sep 3, 2023

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Thanks Ants posted:

You need hard floor casters, which have soft wheels. You should be able to get non-genuine ones, I did this about 10 years ago for a Steelcase Think and paid £2.50 per wheel.

This. When I got my Alera (thanks Ffycchi!) it included a notice saying the default casters are for carpet, and to order softer ones for wood. I ordered these.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Alright, I can get some like those then. Are all casters compatible, or does size matter?

Edit: and are rollerblade casters worth getting? They’re a tad expensive in comparison.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Sep 3, 2023

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Pollyanna posted:

Wouldn’t that cause scrapes and scratches if any sediment gets under the gliders? I thought gliders were bad for hardwood because of that.
poo poo, maybe? i’ve been using glides on laminate for the past decade, and just moved to a place with actual hardwood. i figured any type of wheel on hardwood would result in way too much rolling around, especially with an angled footrest

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I know the least out of everyone here, so don’t take my word for it.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

The ones I linked are universal fit, so you can get those unless your chair requires a specific size. I don't know if the rollerblade wheels offer any advantage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Rollerblade casters would work, especially if you want to raise the height of your chair a little bit, but some find they roll a little too well on hardwood (especially when the floor isn't perfectly level). It's nice that they work well on carpet too though.

Regular hardwood casters are otherwise perfectly fine.