Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Huh, guess my stepdad was right, Russia is clearly top of his list for where to run to if he decides it's finally time to bail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Ms Adequate posted:

Huh, guess my stepdad was right, Russia is clearly top of his list for where to run to if he decides it's finally time to bail

He's definitely dumb enough to think Putin would welcome him with open arms.

He'd be accidentally falling out of a window within a day.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

"Ha ha wouldn't it be funny if I got on my golden plane and flew to Russia? Lol just joking. unless..."

Certainly doesn't sound like a literal flight risk!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Professor Beetus posted:

And since they got loving cancelled be sure to watch the documentary as something of a series finale I guess. loving Netflix

I'd recommend watching the documentary first. Purely because while GLOW was a real thing that existed, the writers of the TV show just watched that documentary and decided that was enough to make a show from without looking at any of the real world angels they did.

It also falls into this topic about wrestling as in the TV show the creative staff fall into the hole of making their talent into stereotypes as it is easier to sell them to audiences that way.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

CopywrightMMXI posted:

There was a wrestling storyline in 2007 that had Vince McMahon “die” after his limo exploded. Allegedly, Trump called WWE offices after this aired to see if this was real and if Vince was okay.

Goodnight HULKAMANIACS and jabronie marks without a life that don't know it a work when you work a work and work yourself into a shoot,marks

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

I don't believe the US Government would allow a former president to defect to Russia via giant golden airliner either way

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Karma Comedian posted:

I don't believe the US Government would allow a former president to defect to Russia via giant golden airliner either way

Good news: if he does, he will forfeit bond in the amount of $200,000 US

gregday
May 23, 2003

I 100% believe if Trump fled, it would not be because he might be jailed, but because he doesn’t want his mugshot, height, and weight released.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
The bond amount is token anyway. Fleeing the country would mean leaving behind orders of magnitude more assets that any bail they could reasonably set.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Big fish reeled in
https://twitter.com/AnnaBower/status/1693991422146564352

Lol, that's not going to work
https://twitter.com/stphnfwlr/status/1693996374172590558

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 22, 2023

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Wrestling chat is officially, if only briefly, on topic again as the Georgia prison systems says hey yo hello to the bad guy. Despite Trump's inevitable efforts to cast him as an outsider, it's clear he played a role in efforts to establish a new world order.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1693985155227205659

Things are moving today, as you might expect. Jeff Clark continues to spam discredited legal theories
https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1693984275719463340

while former State GOP head Shafer wants you to know it wasn't fraud and furthermore if it was fraud, it's Washington's fault:

quote:

“Mr. Shafer and the other Republican Electors in the 2020 election acted at the direction of the incumbent President and other federal officials,” Shafer’s attorney wrote in a petition seeking to move the Fulton County case to federal court.
[...]
“[A]n attorney for the President was present at the December 14, 2020 meeting of the presidential electors itself and advised the Presidential Electors, including Mr. Shafer, that performance of their duties was necessary on behalf of the President and the Constitution,” Shafer’s filing noted, identifying Smith as the attorney.

One of the documents Shafer revealed was a transcript of the meeting of the pro-Trump false elector slate. It reveals that Smith addressed the group before they signed the papers.

“We’re conducting this because the contest of the election in Georgia is ongoing,” Smith told the group. “And so we continue to contest the election of the electors in Georgia. And so we’re going to conduct this in accordance with the Constitution of the United States and we’re going to conduct the electorate today similar to what happened in 1960 in Hawaii.”

“And if we did not hold this meeting, then our election contest would effectively be abandoned,” Shafer replied to Smith.

“That’s correct,” Smith responded.

Shafer also revealed a Dec. 10, 2020 email he received from Alex Kaufman, a local GOP attorney urging him to push forward with convening the slate of false electors a few days later. Trump-affiliated attorneys Cleta Mitchell, Kurt Hilbert and Smith were copied on the email.

“I am reconfirming the importance and our collective advice that our slate of delegates meet on December 14th (per the Federal Deadline) and cast their ballots in favor of President Trump,” Kaufman wrote.

“It is essential that our delegates act and vote in the exact manner as if Governor Kemp has certified the Presidential Contest in favor of President Trump,” Kaufman continued. “ I believe that this is still the most conservative course of action to preserve the best chance for Georgia to ultimately support the President’s reelection.”

Prosecutors in Georgia have rejected Shafer’s contention that he was acting purely on the advice of Trump campaign lawyers and suggested that he, above other members of the false elector slate, played a leadership role in the effort.

In addition to racketeering, Shafer is charged with “impersonating a public officer,” forgery, false statements and writings, and filing false documents. Smith is charged with solicitation of violation of oath by a public officer, conspiracy to commit impersonating of a public officer and conspiracy to commit forgery.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
LOL.

So their best defense is just a hair short of SovCit "That is a gold-fringe flag, making this an admiralty court" fantabulation, eh?

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
oh my god they have so much

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
hiding behind 'my lawyer said it was okay' when you were plotting to overturn an election, something literally no one needs a lawyer to evaluate the legality of

great strat, let's see how it goes

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Herstory Begins Now posted:

hiding behind 'my lawyer said it was okay' when you were plotting to overturn an election, something literally no one needs a lawyer to evaluate the legality of

great strat, let's see how it goes

"What about all the other 30 lawyers you also asked who said it wasn't ok?"

"Uh..."

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Robviously posted:

Bail is supposedly set at 200k for him in Georgia but this might be a problem for him:

Who am I kidding though. :justpost: Don, it'll be fiiiiiiine...

I do like the inclusion of "hey reposts of others saying this stuff counts too."

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Trump is king of "Many people are saying..." so it has to be there

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Paracaidas posted:

Things are moving today, as you might expect. Jeff Clark continues to spam discredited legal theories
https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1693984275719463340

"Jeffrey B. Clark (“Defendant”) hereby gives notice and removes the two actions listed below to the United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia, Atlanta Division:"

Do these sort of "notice of removals" always assume that it's the defendant's decision and theirs alone? Cause this is some haughty-rear end poo poo

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Tayter Swift posted:

"Jeffrey B. Clark (“Defendant”) hereby gives notice and removes the two actions listed below to the United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia, Atlanta Division:"

Do these sort of "notice of removals" always assume that it's the defendant's decision and theirs alone? Cause this is some haughty-rear end poo poo

He's arguing that he has a legal right to and doesn't need the leave of the court. The latter of which would be a "motion for leave to remove"

Just a note though, even though I am a lawyer, I've not done any trial work in like a decade so don't take this as gospel.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Tayter Swift posted:

He’s claiming that he has a statutory right of removal as a federal employee who was operating “within the scope” of his federal duties. There’s a whole hell of a lot of things that are basically designed to prevent hostile state courts from loving with the operation of the federal government, and granting federal employees a right to always be heard by a federal judge is one. The question that federal judge has to answer is if proposing to the President of the Goddamn United States “hey, make me acting AG and I’ll send a memo from the DoJ to state legislatures lying about evidence of fraud” is “within the scope” of the head of one of the DoJ’s civil litigation divisions.

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1694033541376467187

I'm intrigued by this defense strategy. I mean, even if the election were stolen, what they did was still illegal.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
All that matters is keeping the Trump based riled and hoping he wins the election.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

gregday posted:

I'm intrigued by this defense strategy. I mean, even if the election were stolen, what they did was still illegal.

"You see, doing a crime to stop another crime is perfectly legal" :pseudo:

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

gregday posted:

Trying to avoid those extra charges of knowingly and wilfully lying about fraud. Can't accuse me of lying if I'm sure what I lied about was true!

gregday
May 23, 2003

Oracle posted:

Trying to avoid those extra charges of knowingly and wilfully lying about fraud. Can't accuse me of lying if I'm sure what I lied about was true!

The George Constanza "It's not a lie... if you believe it." approach.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

gregday posted:

Well, if they can't successfully argue that what they did wasn't illegal, but they can successfully argue they did it for a good reason, then that is a plausible path to a hung jury. The standard method for prosecuting someone is to argue that what the accused did was wrong, then explain how the law allows the jury to punish them for it. People who are sympathetic to what a defendant did, even if it's formally illegal, will endeavor to find a way not to convict. Juries are not machines that blindly apply the law. They are, at best, people looking to serve what they perceive as justice.

Hell, prosecutors are the same way. Nobody becomes a prosecutor because they want to abstractly compare people's actions to those prohibited by statute. They look for bad guys and then see if the law empowers them to gently caress the bad guys up.

The prosecutors are (correctly) convinced these are bad guys. They will need to convince the jury of the same if they actually want a conviction. And they need to convince all twelve jurors, which means convincing whichever of the twelve is most sympathetic to the notion that the election was stolen. It's not necessarily going to be easy.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Aug 22, 2023

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
Lol he's gonna ask to make the Necessity defense

[E] you need the Judges permission to argue Necessity, innit? NAL

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

I get the feeling the defendants would like nothing better than for the trial to litigate whether the election was stolen rather than whether what they did was illegal.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

gregday posted:

This is correct, but the news media seems to have decided that this'll be the bit sacrificed to both sidesing.

Going to quickly* address state of mind with the Smith indictments. I frankly don't know Georgia well enough, nor do I wish to learn, to figure out how state of mind works with those charges.
First, the Jan 6/Fake Elector indictment. I'm oversummarizing, but the charges rely on Trump acting with corrupt purpose for a corrupt goal. This has been litigated on a much smaller scale with some of the Jan 6 defendants. Here, a Reagan judge chimes in

quote:

Even if Mr. Hostetter sincerely believed–which it appears he did–that the election was fraudulent, that President Trump was the rightful winner, and that public officials committed treason, as a former police chief, he still must have known that it was unlawful to vindicate that perceived injustice by engaging in mob violence to obstruct Congress.

And... that's it. That's all there is to it. To oversummarize again: Even granting (despite evidence to the contrary) that Trump fully believed he won and fraud was stealing the election from him, there is no question that the chosen method to "impair, obstruct, and defeat the federal government function" was illegal regardless of who 'deserved' to be president. That he would be (and was) removed from power when the function was accomplished is tidy proof of the corrupt goal. Sincerity isn't a defense here.

Next, a bit of selfplagarism on the documents case

quote:

This, from congressional research service, is a great way to familiarize yourself with the listed charges and their legal history and context (IANAL so i found it especially helpful)

In short, state of mind is a key element of all three crimes on the warrant.

18 U.S.C. § 793 (Espionage Act - in Trump's case, most likely the retention of National Defense Information from (e)):

quote:

or willfully retains [national defense information] and fails to deliver it to the officer or employee of the United States entitled to receive it
As the CRS notes, the courts have decided that the "willfully" makes up for the extremely vague definitions of National Defense Information.

18 U.S.C. § 2071 ("concealment, removal, or mutilation, generally")

quote:

To be convicted of a violation of Section 2071, one must also act with the requisite state of mind— “willfully and unlawfully.” This requirement appears stringent. According to the Ninth Circuit, the standard requires one to act “intentionally, with knowledge that he was breaching the statute.” Under this standard, belief in the lawfulness of one’s actions could negate the state-of-mind requirement.

18 U.S.C. § 1519 (Obstruction)

quote:

Whoever knowingly alters, destroys, mutilates, conceals, covers up, falsifies, or makes a false entry in any record, document, or tangible object with the intent to impede, obstruct, or influence the investigation or proper administration of any matter within the jurisdiction of any department or agency of the United States or any case filed under title 11, or in relation to or contemplation of any such matter or case, shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 20 years, or both.
There is a case to be made that the June Mar A Lago visit was specifically aimed at killing a willfully/knowingly defense. "I thought I had a right to these" is at least colorable for Trump's defense, especially if anyone on the jury hates Hillary (which, statistically...). That doesn't play as well when the feds come down to reiterate NARA's (clearly correct) interpretation, and goes especially poorly when you lied to try and get the government to go away and also give you time to apparently erase evidence. Jan 6 shithead Jeremy Brown went to trial with a staggeringly similar fact pattern, which also gives you a chance to see the strategies of both sides in a case like this.

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

He’s claiming that he has a statutory right of removal as a federal employee who was operating “within the scope” of his federal duties. There’s a whole hell of a lot of things that are basically designed to prevent hostile state courts from loving with the operation of the federal government, and granting federal employees a right to always be heard by a federal judge is one. The question that federal judge has to answer is if proposing to the President of the Goddamn United States “hey, make me acting AG and I’ll send a memo from the DoJ to state legislatures lying about evidence of fraud” is “within the scope” of the head of one of the DoJ’s civil litigation divisions.
Well put. I want to highlight the bit I bolded because, for all the deserved poo poo the founders get for a government so easily stymied by bad faith, this is a nice example of getting it right.

Also, per some commentators, Meadows has both a legitimate case for removable and a viable defense to a number of the GA charges, which gets back to some of my unease about their strategy here.

Meadows' argument has three parts, which I am oversimplfying out of laziness and general weak character
  1. Everything I'm charged with was part of my job as chief of staff
  2. I wouldn't have done any of it if I weren't chief of staff
  3. This was all legal federally
For the most part, this actually seems accurate (a rarity for defense filings ITT). Much of the charged behavior includes Meadows scheduling calls with Georgia officials on Trump's behalf and attending oval office meetings about the conspiracy. Smith and Willis took different strategies for the indictment and this is a drawback to Willis' method. Then again, I said "for the most part" and "Much of". If Meadows goes 87-1 on Willis's charges, it's still a conviction.

Marcy Wheeler points out that on 12/27, Meadows calls Georgia and offers to use campaign funds to get the signature validation finished in time. Meadows was almost certainly acting on behalf of Trump here, but it's a hell of a climb arguing that he was acting for President Trump and not Candidate Trump when offering to donate campaign money to a voter integrity effort premised on lies. As Wheeler also notes (a bit more vehemently than I think is warranted), if Meadows wants to standby his guns that the 12/27 call was a part of his Chief of Staff duties then we seem to have an open and shut Hatch Act violation. The Hatch Act bit strikes me as more of a "ah, but by your logic" gotcha than anything for Meadows to stress over. There are a few other pieces that likely gently caress Meadows in Georgia too.

*obvious lie

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Paracaidas posted:

As Wheeler also notes (a bit more vehemently than I think is warranted), if Meadows wants to standby his guns that the 12/27 call was a part of his Chief of Staff duties then we seem to have an open and shut Hatch Act violation. The Hatch Act bit strikes me as more of a "ah, but by your logic" gotcha than anything for Meadows to stress over. There are a few other pieces that likely gently caress Meadows in Georgia too.

*obvious lie

marcy's a very good source at times but is also a weird old crank of a blogger that gets really caught up in personal pet theories, always gotta separate out those latter tendencies lol

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Robviously posted:

Bail is supposedly set at 200k for him in Georgia but this might be a problem for him:

Who am I kidding though. :justpost: Don, it'll be fiiiiiiine...

Well, he clearly violated the similar stuff with the 1/6 case and nothing bad happened to him. So of course he'll do it here too.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Tayter Swift posted:

that's how a civil notice of removal works, it is effective upon filing, and if you shouldn't have done that the federal court remands it

i, uh, don't think that's how it works in criminal cases

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

Angry_Ed posted:

"You see, doing a crime to stop another crime is perfectly legal" :pseudo:

It didn't work for OJ. He was arrested for trying to steal some of his stuff back.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
So I am asking an electoral procedural question 3 years after it's relevance but it may figure into the false electors legal issue.

From my understanding of presidential elections, each state has its assigned electoral votes and those votes are cast in a winner take all based on who won the popular vote in that state. These electoral votes are actually cast by real people who are chosen by their party ahead of the election (hey if our guy wins the election, you and x number of others are going to go cast the states electoral votes).

Were the fake electors the original assigned Republican electors prior to the election or did they round up an additional group of Republican electors and just say "yo I know we had another group of people who were supposed to do this but they can't, so you will do it instead"

I would think that would 1) set off alarm bells for these folks that something was up and 2) actually create some evidence for the fake electors plot because I could see the fake electors go "hey isn't it weird that they're not using the guys who were supposed to cast these ballots if Trump won?" What was the explanation for going with an alternative group?

Considering how PA group had additional wording saying "we are just going to use this group if it is necessary" and Trump's people declined to put the same language in the other state groups because they were worried about optics if it got out, the electors were aware that things were not on the up and up.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Donkringel posted:

So I am asking an electoral procedural question 3 years after it's relevance but it may figure into the false electors legal issue.

From my understanding of presidential elections, each state has its assigned electoral votes and those votes are cast in a winner take all based on who won the popular vote in that state. These electoral votes are actually cast by real people who are chosen by their party ahead of the election (hey if our guy wins the election, you and x number of others are going to go cast the states electoral votes).

Mostly. Maine does things a bit differently in ways that aren't super relevant here, but it does very occasionally split their votes. Otherwise, correct.

Donkringel posted:

Were the fake electors the original assigned Republican electors prior to the election or did they round up an additional group of Republican electors and just say "yo I know we had another group of people who were supposed to do this but they can't, so you will do it instead"

More or less, yes. The idea was to have the alternate electors show up in DC and have their votes for Trump counted instead of Biden.

Donkringel posted:

I would think that would 1) set off alarm bells for these folks that something was up and 2) actually create some evidence for the fake electors plot because I could see the fake electors go "hey isn't it weird that they're not using the guys who were supposed to cast these ballots if Trump won?" What was the explanation for going with an alternative group?

Absolutely everyone would have known what was going on. And the other states could actually object to it too and the fake electors could be thrown out. But as I understand it then that state wouldn't get any votes for the president, which, since those states were Biden wins, would have resulted in a Trump victory anyway.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Nitrousoxide posted:

Absolutely everyone would have known what was going on. And the other states could actually object to it too and the fake electors could be thrown out. But as I understand it then that state wouldn't get any votes for the president, which, since those states were Biden wins, would have resulted in a Trump victory anyway.

The idea would be nobody has 270, therefore the House votes with each state delegation getting one vote and republicans controlled a majority of state delegations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

evilweasel posted:

The idea would be nobody has 270, therefore the House votes with each state delegation getting one vote and republicans controlled a majority of state delegations.

Yeah, in detail that's what the plan was. If they could cast their votes for Trump he'd win whether they get thrown out or not.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
I think some but not all of the fake electors were on the original list of Republican electors.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1694099334516642113

Well I believe this individual might have some interesting testimony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1694099334516642113

Well I believe this individual might have some interesting testimony.

Context from earlier in the filing:

quote:

When Trump Employee 4 testified before the grand jury in the District of Columbia in March 2023, he repeatedly denied or claimed not to recall any contacts or conversations about the security footage at Mar-a-Lago. In testimony before the same grand jury, De Oliveira likewise denied any contact with Trump Employee 4 regarding security footage. The Government’s evidence indicated that the testimony by Trump Employee 4 and De Oliveira was false.

[...]

The target letter to Trump Employee 4 crystallized a conflict of interest arising from Mr. Woodward’s concurrent representation of Trump Employee 4 and Nauta. Advising Trump Employee 4 to correct his sworn testimony would result in testimony incriminating Mr. Woodward’s other client, Nauta; but permitting Trump Employee 4’s false testimony to stand uncorrected would leave Trump Employee 4 exposed to criminal charges for perjury. Moreover, an attorney for Trump had put Trump Employee 4 in contact with Mr. Woodward, and his fees were being paid by Trump’s political action committee (PAC).

[...]

On June 27, 2023, [...]the Government filed a motion for a conflicts hearing [...] Mr. Woodward raised no objection to proceeding in the District of Columbia regarding Trump Employee 4. In fact, he responded that he “welcome[d] the Court’s inquiry into [his] representation of” Trump Employee 4, [...] but asserted that he had no “information to support the Government’s claim that [Trump Employee 4] has provided false testimony to the grand jury,” and that “even if [Trump Employee 4] did provide conflicting information to the grand jury such that could expose him to criminal charges, he has other recourse besides reaching a plea bargain with the Government. Namely, he can go to trial with the presumption of innocence and fight the charges as against him.” Id. at 3. According to Mr. Woodward, if Trump Employee 4 “wishes to become a cooperating Government witness, he has already been advised that he may do so at any time.”

This is all in the context of a filing to support a Garcia hearing, which is basically a hearing to ensure that a defendant is aware of a potential conflict of interest by those representing them. It appears that Employee 4 had been basically pressured to lie and take the fall for the other defendants represented by Woodward, particularly involving a proposal to delete security footage at Mar a Lago. All of this has been in the works since at least June.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Aug 22, 2023