Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
We love our cops, our law enforcement
We love the military, they're important

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

gradenko_2000 posted:

We love our cops, our law enforcement
We love the military, they're important

we have no choice but to stan

:qqsay:

sim
Sep 24, 2003

Sphyre posted:

the great thing about bikes is that they arent stupidly oversized like cars so its very easy to own and store more than one of them

half my garage is one car (sad) and the other half is 5 bikes and I loving love it

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

lobster shirt posted:

i guess cspam is the pro cop forum after all

I don't know why this has to be explained but people giving parking tickets don't have anything to do with state sanctioned violence

mystes
May 31, 2006

lobster shirt posted:

Parking enforcement doesn't need to be done by cops, and indeed it shouldn't be

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

I don't know why this has to be explained but people giving parking tickets don't have anything to do with state sanctioned violence

yes it does

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

there's a philly parking authority reality show called parking wars that everyone in this thread should watch. it features the meter checkers, the boot patrol, the tow trucks, and the impound lot. I hoot and holler everytime they boot some rear end in a top hat with $3000 in tickets it's great. most of the series is on youtube for free just skip the clip ones

the parking people there don't seem to be full cops so everyone does harass the gently caress out of them especially the meter people. in nyc they're part of the nypd so I rarely see anyone fight back here since they'll just get tased or shot depending on paper bag test result

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

But against car owners so

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

evil_bunnY posted:

There's a reason they call Aluminum congealed electricity

"a recent study calculated the lifecycle emissions of a carbon fiber electric cargo cycle to be 80 gCO2 per kilometer – only half those of an electric van (158 gCO2/km)" lol who the gently caress rides, let alone makes a CFC cargo bike?

Whining about ebikes is also hilarious, when making one emits about as much co2 an american car puts out in 3 weeks.

People who write articles about thermal windmills, that’s who.

Real hurthling! posted:

a kid where i teach built an all bamboo bike as a sustainability project and even rode it to school every day with regular tires on it and they had him meet obama during a potus visit and obama made fun of the bike and told him to focus on more practical inventions for our nations future. no lie.

Rookie mistake.

Next time get arrested for tinkering.

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

gently caress UR CAR BITHC

https://i.imgur.com/Pr6PNuv.mp4

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Clark Nova posted:

you can buy a bamboo bike kit though the tools are $$$$ by themselves

kid should've designed a bamboo drone or landmine to make obama happy

yeah im not saying the kid was smart he probably had a dad with a $$$$ workshop too that did most of the building but my man barrack cut him down smiling from ear to ear ftw

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Parking is never free, unless you know one weird trick...

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Today my bus was full and the driver yelled at everyone who tried to get on. It only services the route once an hour, so that was great.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

lobster shirt posted:

Parking enforcement in my city aren't cops, but idk about Toronto bike lady.

Fines are still regressive and cars are still mandatory for most people unfortunately, but as someone posting in the i hate cars thread, every driver can get hosed and every car parked in a bike lane deserves to get their mirrors smashed

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Btw I just went for second bike ride since I got back from vacation where I was forced to use lovely rentals or loaners and I gotta say that buying an '80s steel road bike was the best decision of my life

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

in the sense that collecting taxes and banning child slave markets come from the barrel of a gun yes

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Mauser posted:

Btw I just went for second bike ride since I got back from vacation where I was forced to use lovely rentals or loaners and I gotta say that buying an '80s steel road bike was the best decision of my life

This guy bikes

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

cat botherer posted:

I'm fine with electric bikes, but combining exercise with transportation is like my favorite part of cycling.
I just turn down/off the assist when I want some exercise :shrug:

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Real hurthling! posted:

a kid where i teach built an all bamboo bike as a sustainability project and even rode it to school every day with regular tires on it and they had him meet obama during a potus visit and obama made fun of the bike and told him to focus on more practical inventions for our nations future. no lie.

"we, ah, bamboo tortured some folks"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
maybe the kid should have made a bamboo clock instead

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

lobster shirt posted:

gently caress cars > other political concerns. stop de kindermoord

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

conveniently cops exist to protect cars

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
re: e-bikes and exercise, if you don't get exercise on an e-bike maybe your motor is too powerful or something? My commute is 18km one way with several hills and I'm middle age and sort of lazy. With e-assist it lowers the mental threshold of riding to the point where I actually do it, but it sure as poo poo gives me an hour of daily exercise. Not sweat your balls off heart pumping blood taste in your mouth workouts, but still it keeps most of the fat off and makes me feel good. I love e-bikes.

Today I have to drive to work for the first time in months because of reasons and I hate it.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

lobster shirt posted:

:hmmwrong:

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I want a bamboo bike

edit nevermind holy poo poo the prices

https://wheretheroadforks.com/bamboo-bike-frame-pros-and-cons/

Goa Tse-tung has issued a correction as of 09:26 on Aug 23, 2023

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Durf posted:

gently caress UR CAR BITHC

https://i.imgur.com/Pr6PNuv.mp4

This is the future this thread wants: bikes in metros. Glad to see Copenhagen once again being superior.

Also that metro has as a ban on bikes during rush hours because more people are using it than it can actually comfortably handle

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Second day working a new job and I cycled into the office, they have a locked bike shed (which is actually a little container room like they use on building sites with bike hooks on the wall) and showers etc. It rules being able to avoid the inevitable peak-hour traffic jam on the way home and get a shitload of exercise at the same time, I'm going to try to force myself to cycle as much as possible (which to be honest should be 100% of the time, there's no legitimate reason not to other than laziness).

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I'm confident I have a better commute than 99.9% of Torontonians. I love commuting. Bike lane one block from my home leads to the Don Valley. Unfortunately the lower Don is closed for construction for a few years, but the alternative Bayview lane is mostly meaningfully protected and in better condition. A final series of decent lanes leads to my office.

Office has a very large two-floor (stairs + rarmp) bike locker room with complimentary tools mounted.

Free exercise. Only 13 KM if I take the longer scenic route and mostly downhill. I should have a pretty okay winter route too but can transition back to WFH if I need to.

But yeah. It's basically poo poo for everyone else, cyclists, drivers, transit riders. The office cyclists coming in from the west end have it pretty bad these days with the main lake shore MUP completely packed with pedestrians and tourists and no good alternatives. It's tough not having a poo poo-eating grin on my face when I arrive.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Today my bus was full and the driver yelled at everyone who tried to get on. It only services the route once an hour, so that was great.

After this, I think I'm gonna go back to bike commuting for a while since it's utterly insane to be turned away from a once-an-hour bus. Had a good ride this morning. It's so loving dangerous though, even doing everything I can to stay away from bad situations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Time to fasten a pool noodle to your rack. Then, fasten a machining insert to the noodle :getin:

mystes
May 31, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

This just shows that buses aren't practical and they should get rid of them. (If the bus wasn't full that would show that it has too much capacity and service should be reduced to once every two hours)

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

We get all of those complaints here, but luckily there are enough advocates to still keep making progress on policies and infrastructure. The real complainers either live outside of town (crime!!!) or pass through too quickly to make a difference (students). It's the start of the academic year, so until students stop attending class, it's a mess all over town. The university gets a lot of heat for not providing enough parking for everyone, but there's really nothing that can be done about it. Students commute for an hour+ and get upset that parking isn't convenient. Which is really unrealistic though?: commuting an hour by car and expecting to find a parking space alongside 40,000 other car commuters, or actually living here and expecting practical transit options?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

It's like a mel brooks joke

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/davidreevely/status/1693976847938175153

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

https://twitter.com/CarsRuinedCity/status/1694127876696855038?s=20

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I can't tell if its ironic or not that one of the 2 to actually stop was a motor bike.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

The cops here had a blitz fining speeding cyclists in High Park, some guy brought his own speed radar and the only motor vehicle he found that actually stayed below the speed limit was the wheeled "train" the park runs as a shuttle.

Also one cyclist got hit by a cop rolling through a stop sign without stopping and another one got dragged off her bike by an off duty cop who wasn't even a part of the blitz.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Speeding... cyclists. Uh huh.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Speeding... cyclists. Uh huh.

I hit 5 over the speed limit on a particularly steep downhill section near me

but the speed limit was 10 :classiclol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sim
Sep 24, 2003

It drives me nuts when lycra warriors refuse to slow down on multi-use paths, even if it means passing within inches of a pedestrian at 20MPH... but at the end of the day it's nothing like the damage a car at any speed could do, so whatever