Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

I think at best we're looking at a Homefront The Revolution situation. Dead Island 2 if we're extremely lucky.

I think you mean Dying Light 2, Dead Island 2 turned out really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Donnerberg posted:

I know Denuvo gets people worked up, but are there issues with Arxan, the DRM included in Armored Core 6? First time I hear that name.

I was slightly concerned there for a second

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

PowerBeard posted:

I think you mean Dying Light 2, Dead Island 2 turned out really good.

Dead Island 2 was the one that was hacked together from pieces of a different game by a different developer.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Isn't Dying Light 2 allegedly pretty good now? I have played either game, just been hearing it's been improved a lot.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I do think Dying Light 2 is pretty good now. They've definitely been supporting/improving the poo poo out of that game since it came out so at the very least you can't say they abandoned it. I thought Dead Island 2 looked fun as well just not quite $60 or Epic Game Store fun.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
How does Steam handle the extra buttons on 8bitdo controllers? Because if I'm not mistaken it treats them as Xbox controllers, and so wouldn't see the extra buttons.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Rinkles posted:

How does Steam handle the extra buttons on 8bitdo controllers?
If you mean the back buttons, you map them to other buttons or button combos in 8BitDo's software.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

in Amid Evil: The Black Labyrinth, you have fists instead of the axe weapon from the base game

in soul mode your character does a lightning fast flurry attack with berserk yelling, and when you stop attacking he'll catch his breath and sometimes say "excuse me"

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Wrestlequest is finally out!! Heard it’s around 40-50 hour game

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

K8.0 posted:

Isn't Dying Light 2 allegedly pretty good now? I have played either game, just been hearing it's been improved a lot.

It was actually fine if not amazing when it came out, so if it's picked up I'd put it into 'def grab on sale ' territory

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

Hey homefront rev was good! Not like, good good but it was goofy and janky and phenomenally stupid, something games are afraid of being nowadays
I am also a Homefront Rev was Decent crowd. Steam places it at a 6/10 and it deserves that rating.
I liked the Crysis 2/3 hot-swap weapon system, it was fun turning your rifle into a :patriot: launcher (It fires red/white/blue fireworks). The co-op was pretty neat for the time.
The setup is hilarious too. America can't stop invading everyone so much they go so bankrupt that North Korean Apple that also makes Guns has to turn off their guns, then invades the US and proceeds to frack and mine everything. :allears:
The story was hardly worse than the rest of the stuff FPS games were coming out with in 2016.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Croccers posted:

I am also a Homefront Rev was Decent crowd. Steam places it at a 6/10 and it deserves that rating.
I liked the Crysis 2/3 hot-swap weapon system, it was fun turning your rifle into a :patriot: launcher (It fires red/white/blue fireworks). The co-op was pretty neat for the time.
The setup is hilarious too. America can't stop invading everyone so much they go so bankrupt that North Korean Apple that also makes Guns has to turn off their guns, then invades the US and proceeds to frack and mine everything. :allears:
The story was hardly worse than the rest of the stuff FPS games were coming out with in 2016.

FYI if you want more Homefront Revolution stuff, grab the Terminator fps from a few years ago. It rules.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Wait, so both Dying Light 2 / Dead Island 2 are good?

Man, 2023 is the year where people fixed their poo poo.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

PowerBeard posted:

Did Wild Hearts ever get fixed? Game looked neat, I welcome some more competition in the MonHun space.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Sab669 posted:

Did Wild Hearts ever get fixed? Game looked neat, I welcome some more competition in the MonHun space.

From what I've read, no, wild hearts still runs and looks like hot rear end.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Dead Island 2 looks like the most mediocre poo poo ever.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

PowerBeard posted:

personally, I still think DL2 isn't very good

but hey, maybe if it's really cheap it would be worth a pickup

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

Hwurmp posted:

in Amid Evil: The Black Labyrinth, you have fists instead of the axe weapon from the base game

in soul mode your character does a lightning fast flurry attack with berserk yelling, and when you stop attacking he'll catch his breath and sometimes say "excuse me"

It's real good. Fewer, but bigger levels than the base game. And when you finish it, you can use the new weapons in the regular campaign

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I never played Dying Light 1, but 2 was real fun for me, I picked it up on a lark. The combat got real stale though, especially towards the end. The parkour is amazing and definitely the highlight. The story is absolutely the pure definition of “meh” though, for me at least.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Wrestlequest is finally out!! Heard it’s around 40-50 hour game

Please give us a trip report if you can. It's not looking too hot on aggregate reviews at the moment, but the negative ones are mostly Chinese players unable to start the game, and a couple English reviews complaining about keymaps and QTEs during combat. I'm sold if that means it has Mario RPG combat.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Aug 22, 2023

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/konami-confirms-metal-gear-solid-master-collection-resolution-on-each-system/

quote:

All platforms except Switch – 1080p / 60 frames per second target
Switch (docked mode) – 1080p / 30 frames per second target
Switch (handheld mode) – 720p / 30 frames per second target

false alarm on the MGS thing, they are at least supporting variable resolutions

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

kazil posted:

personally, I still think DL2 isn't very good

but hey, maybe if it's really cheap it would be worth a pickup

Yeah, I gave it a second try a month back or so and it didn't click for me then either. While there seemed to be more polish, some of the gameplay changes actually felt for the worse. They basically put a whole bunch of the super-zombie volatiles on the rooftops during the night, the sort that (at least early on) you can't really fight and have to either sneak around or run away from. While that does make nights legitimately feel quite a bit more dangerous, the issue is that the great majority of significant activities and quests also take place at night. It soon gets pretty old having to constantly interrupt whatever you want to do in order to sneak around or run away from yet another loving volatile.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Sab669 posted:

Wild hearts launched at least a year before it should have and is complete garbage for a variety of reasons, speaking as someone who extremely wanted and tried to like it

I’m still sold on the concept of monster hunter + death stranding and I really hope someone can make it someday, in a game where you can actually go 30 seconds without seeing something that’s obviously broken

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Aug 22, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

1080p is almost weirder than 720p, because it means these aren't completely barebone ports but are somehow still limited to a low res.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

It's not crystal clear, but I think this might mean that the Steam version of the new Forza will have cross platform progression (which would be a first for MS store games, afaik).

PC players can pre-order Forza Motorsport on the Microsoft Store and starting today for the first time, Steam, with cross-play and cross-progression available across PC and console.

news.xbox.com/en-us/2023/08/22/forza-motorsport-gamescom-pc-preorder/

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Cartoon Man posted:

I never played Dying Light 1, but 2 was real fun for me, I picked it up on a lark. The combat got real stale though, especially towards the end. The parkour is amazing and definitely the highlight. The story is absolutely the pure definition of “meh” though, for me at least.

Damning with faint praise lol

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Rinkles posted:

1080p is almost weirder than 720p, because it means these aren't completely barebone ports but are somehow still limited to a low res.

These are Xbone and PS4 releases, I don't think they actually have native PS5 or Series S/X versions, just running them in backwards compatibility.

So it's the max res for those systems, but no enhanced versions for the PS4 Pro or Xbone X, and by extension, the new consoles.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

lordfrikk posted:

Damning with faint praise lol

It’s a parkour game with middling to decent combat. It scratches the Mirror’s Edge itch which is why I liked it. It’s also like Diablo in a lot of ways with its loot system and “dungeons”.

eukara
Aug 5, 2014

Do you believe in life after bomb?

Rinkles posted:

It's not crystal clear, but I think this might mean that the Steam version of the new Forza will have cross platform progression (which would be a first for MS store games, afaik).

When I booted into Halo MCC a few months ago on Steam it dumped all the achievements I got on Xbox into my Steam profile. Didn't pay attention to any other SP/MP profile stuff though.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Cartoon Man posted:

It’s a parkour game with middling to decent combat. It scratches the Mirror’s Edge itch which is why I liked it. It’s also like Diablo in a lot of ways with its loot system and “dungeons”.

Dying Light 1 is a better parkour game as Mirros Edge imo and also better as 2 due to less systems that work better together and better with the map design.

It unfortunately takes some grind to get there but if you liked that in 2, absolutely check out the first one as well. It holds up pretty good and should not feel weird having played 2 first.

on another note everyone seems pissed about immortals of avenums performance but even at 200fps and complete stable frametimes this camerawork would definitively not make it a good game to play

thats max. fov of 90 looking just straight down.

haldolium fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Aug 22, 2023

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1694019705089175632

2023 couldn't have ALL the good games

e: another delay

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 22, 2023

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Wrestlequest reviews are really making me question picking it up ugh

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

sorry for double posting, but Gamescom is doing a thing right now. the proper Opening Night Live already announced its lineup ahead of time so i'm just focusing on the pre-show for now which had its own trailers

- Streets of Rogue 2 got a new trailer, officially set for 2024

- Mandragora, sidescrolling action game, 2024
- Lysfanga: The Time Shift Warrior got a new trailer, also set for 2024
- Endzone 2 announced, Early Access Spring 2024
- Bullestorm VR announced, no date, but there are pre-orders. Because why make a new one when you can just milk the old one forever? Thanks Gearbox.
- Fae Farm got a new trailer, September 8th release date

- The 7th Guest VR got a new trailer. The whole manor's been built in real-time 3D for this one, and it looks like a full-fledged sequel with all new puzzles and all new FMV, though I think they're calling it a remake, and the characters from the original have simply been recast. And obviously there's a lot more VR interactions, physics objects to touch. It'll probably be better than the loving 11th Hour at least. By the developer of Arizona Sunshine and After the Fall. Oct 19th
- Post Trauma, another classic-RE style horror game, releases Spring 2024. published by Raw Fury
- Warhammer Realms of Ruin, coming in November. another WH game that takes itself too seriously. give us more poo poo like Boltgun please
- Homeworld 3 new trailer. Feb 2024.

e: Main show stuff. I'm not covering every game, just the stuff that's vaguely interesting to me.

- Little Nightmares 3 announced for 2024. In a departure, the new game will be developed by Supermassive (Until Dawn).
- Killing Floor 3 announced. I guess Tripwire's still around?
- Crimson Kingdom returns with a new trailer. What a weird looking game. Starts off looking medieval but there's also sci-fi and sci-fantasy in there? Like you fight victorian-looking robits?
- Ice T has a mission in Payday 3. sure. okay
- Nightingale, the survival crafting shooter/builder that's a mix of 19th century aesthetics and fantasy, now has an Early Access date: Feb 22, 2024.
- Granblue Fantasy: Relink finally returns after a sabbatical with actual final-looking gameplay footage. This was the one Platinum was originally collaborating on with Cygames until they bounced off. So it'll probably have decent combat, even if they ended their involvement mid-development. February 1, 2024.
- Zenless Zone Zero new trailer, but no date still.
- Honkai Star Rail will have a PS5 "technical test" on the 25th.
- Sonic Superstars launches Oct 17th. Sonic Frontiers DLC announced: "The Final Horizon", should've called it the Final Frontier idiots!!! New story, playable characters and challenges. A free update on September 28th.
- Coming to Gamepass: Jusant, Payday 3, Persona 5 Tactica, WH40K: Darktide, Party Animals, Exoprimal
- Dustborn some sort of action brawler with a cel shaded look and some of that 'detached' style of humor writing I don't care for. By the developer of Draugen. Early 2024.

- Thank Goodness You're Here, an indie cartoon adventure game where you play a tiny lil' salesman, with a lot of fully animated shots. 2024.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 22, 2023

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Wrestlequest reviews are really making me question picking it up ugh
i didnt really like the combat system in the demo personally. it looked nice though. no clue what reviews are complaining about.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://youtu.be/6f43pVHhGR0

Streets of Rogue was extremely my poo poo but I'm really struggling to visualize converting that game's formula into an open-world game and it not becoming horrible tree-puncher poo poo.

Hopefully Streets of Rogue 2 still ends up being good.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 22, 2023

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Isnt GTA2 an open world game?

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Woah, Streets of Rogue 2 looking kinda nice.

Little Nightmares is a game series I enjoy watching LP's of, so that'll be cool.

Boltgun was extremely funny. That little servo skull is adorbs. More people should play it. Realms of Ruin could be more my thing that Total Warhammer.
-
Anyway, I just wanted to say, Disfigure was fun for a couple hours. I managed to become immortal on the normal difficulty with the minigun.

Holocure is also fun with some wacky meta stuff to it, including fishing. I'm such a sucker for fishing. Oh my gawsh. If you put fishing in your game, I'm going to fish your fish.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

one more thing

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1694067996522881075

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Being one of the rare 6 player coop games, Killing Floor 3 is probably the only release-date purchase ever for me and my friend group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBrkG3aeWCc

Well this looks sick as hell :toot: