Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
If the momentum or velocity of portals relative to one another mattered, when you shot the portal on the moon at the end of Portal 2, shouldn't the stuff going through the portal have shot off to the side as the moon (effectively) has a tangential velocity of ~1200m/s? Everything goes through straight (pulled through via vacuum) and while you can say it's to make the scene look better, it's also just a game so we can work with what we have. Objects that enter a portal maintain their velocity from the second portal equal to their velocity (irrespective of the portals) prior to entering the first portal, so A B.

The only other instance of moving portals in the games (that I can remember) is cutting the neurotoxin tubes, but in that case the only thing that goes through the portal is light and the portals aren't moving quickly enough to affect light's trajectory.

Elysiume has a new favorite as of 20:34 on Aug 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Perestroika posted:

Momentum is relative, though. So the question becomes what it's relative to for the purposes of portaling.

But yes, a few weeks back my friend group also spent an hour or two arguing about it. In the end, both end up violating physics in some pretty interesting ways.

It's relative to the environment, meaning that the difference between the environment's momentum in space and the people's momentum is negligible since they're lying motionless. The exit environment presumably holds the same momentum as the first environment. Essentially, I fail to see where work is performed to add energy to the system that would cause their velocity to change.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Essentially, I fail to see where work is performed to add energy to the system that would cause their velocity to change.
... Have you considered that the trolley is moving?

Anyone on the tracks is going to hit the exit portal at the velocity they enter the entry portal and get pushed at that velocity by themselves getting pushed into the entry portal.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

https://twitter.com/GregWert/status/1694035169236140208

That's what she said:elon::elon::elon:

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
The trolley has the energy, yes, but a portal doesn’t create nor transfer its own velocity, it just changes an object’s vector when it passes through. The people have no velocity. They will just come out the other end and because the trolley is moving it will just look like a turd since it won’t be all four transferring instantaneously.

:goonsay:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

FFT posted:

Anyone on the tracks is going to hit the exit portal at the velocity they enter the entry portal and get pushed at that velocity by themselves getting pushed into the entry portal.
The portal itself has no mass and thus no momentum; it's just a hole in space. It has no energy to impart.

efb

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

FFT posted:

Have you considered the exit portal is not moving?

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
What would happen if you’re running away from the portal trolley? E.g., if you’re running at 5mph East and the trolley is going 10mph East (so you’re moving net 5mph west relative to the trolley) would you then maintain your angular momentum and instantly run right back through the other side of the portal at 5mph east (your initial speed relative to the earth, or would you shoot out the portal 5mph west (net speed relative to the trolley when it catches you), and have to regain your momentum back to the east to jump back through the portal, only for you to be too slow to move out of the way of the trolley again?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

this is why Aperture Science portals cannot be placed on moving objects

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Elysiume posted:

If the momentum or velocity of portals relative to one another mattered, when you shot the portal on the moon at the end of Portal 2, shouldn't the stuff going through the portal have shot off to the side as the moon (effectively) has a tangential velocity of ~1200m/s? Everything goes through straight (pulled through via vacuum) and while you can say it's to make the scene look better, it's also just a game so we can work with what we have. Objects that enter a portal maintain their velocity from the second portal equal to their velocity (irrespective of the portals) prior to entering the first portal, so A.

The only other instance of moving portals in the games (that I can remember) is cutting the neurotoxin tubes, but in that case the only thing that goes through the portal is light and the portals aren't moving quickly enough to affect light's trajectory.

The momentum of the portals relative to each other doesn't matter, but the momentum of objects going through a portal relative to the portal does. When you enter the orange portal, you leave the blue portal with your momentum relative to the blue portal mirrored from your momentum relative to the orange portal. Your example actually demonstrates why the answer is B: when you put the portal on the moon, the fact that the two portals are attached to different bodies in space with radically different velocity doesn't matter at all, stuff goes through with the same momentum relative the exit portal that it had relative the entry portal only mirrored.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

freeedr posted:

We can smash parts together and I’ll maintain some momentum into your portal

I refuse to let this get buried on the previous page. :colbert:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

the holy poopacy posted:

The momentum of the portals relative to each other doesn't matter, but the momentum of objects going through a portal relative to the portal does. When you enter the orange portal, you leave the blue portal with your momentum relative to the blue portal mirrored from your momentum relative to the orange portal. Your example actually demonstrates why the answer is B: when you put the portal on the moon, the fact that the two portals are attached to different bodies in space with radically different velocity doesn't matter at all, stuff goes through with the same momentum relative the exit portal that it had relative the entry portal only mirrored.
Yeah, you're right. If the output portal was right in front of a brick wall then the people are crushed against it, as the brick wall is (from the people's perspective) moving with the velocity of the trolley, so they just splatter against the wall. I've switched camps to B.

vv: Yep; I had it backwards in my head. The people on the tracks are falling relative to the entrance portal, so they'll fall out of the exit portal with that same momentum.

Elysiume has a new favorite as of 20:37 on Aug 22, 2023

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
"B" is the only physically reasonable option. That's what would happen with an actual wormhole, for example (if it were possible to create a traversable wormhole, which isn't, because it would require "exotic" matter, but that's a whole other story). This is the only option that makes sense in a world with Galilean relativity.

As Elysiume points out, the moon portal is an important example. But they come to the wrong conclusion for some reason? Relative to the Earth, the Moon is moving at a fair clip. If the the objects passing through maintained their velocity relative to the earth, as in option A, then they should be flying off at 1200 m/s or whatever relative to the moon, as the moon moves past their "stationary" position relative to Earth.

It's worth mentioning, that despite what GladOS says in Portal 1, portals do not conserve momentum on a global scale. Obviously - you can change direction with portals; that violates momentum conservation. What they do is maintain momentum locally - if you view the local space around the portals as one connected space, then objects move through that connected space without changing their momentum relative to that space. Momentum is conserved relative to portals only.

edit: aw jesus there were like a thousand posts while i was composing this one

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

If A was correct, what would happen if someone tried jumping into the stationary portal? You'd end up at the train side slower than the portal itself.
If your velocity relative to the portal is maintained then physically you're doing the same thing as jumping off the front of the train. Not a good idea, but makes perfect sense mechanically.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Portals only work in a universe with a fixed frame of reference as if simulated in a video game based on the Source engine. A limitation built in to this logic is that a portal can't be on an entity simulated to be moving in the fixed reference frame. Therefore if the portal is on the trolley, the rest of the world is moving in this reference frame. That means the people's momentum is referenced to a frame where the trolley is stationary and when maintained through the portal results in movement like option B.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Poops Mcgoots posted:

They're basically just doorways that connect two non-contiguous spaces. If you move an open doorway towards someone such that they pass through while standing still, they don't go flying out the other side.
If the open doorway is moving then someone just standing there does shoot out the door, from the door's frame of reference. Think about it the other way around- if a door is moving at someone, would the person ever just kind of plop outside the door and stay there? No. If the door keeps going, the person ends up moving away from the door.

Other folks covered the (made up) physics in more detail, but I felt this simple thought experiment deserved to be addressed too.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Christ, what a bunch of dorks who clearly did not read the thread title. I got 3 Bluesky codes, DM first come first serve until like 6p EST, peace.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Post twets plox

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Poops Mcgoots posted:

They're basically just doorways that connect two non-contiguous spaces. If you move an open doorway towards someone such that they pass through while standing still, they don't go flying out the other side.

If somebody suspended in the air enters a flying door at 100 km/h, they do in fact leave the door on the other side at the same speed as well.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
But what if the runway treadmill runs fast enough that friction in the airplane's axles makes them seize up?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

sebmojo posted:

Post twets plox

https://twitter.com/jaywillis/status/1694078707705749943

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

sebmojo posted:

Post twets plox

https://twitter.com/140VGM/status/1443863261611315204

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Going to offer a different theory.

She's paid someone to make an AI for her and they're just posting rather than do the work of training a dataset because she'll be bored of it in a day. Someone just made 6 figures to call her human Grimes for a day.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
A haunted doll, as a treat

https://twitter.com/dearlucy/status/1693975226311233917?s=46&t=xNHIXOfh2DxyCf845VtkaQ

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Poops Mcgoots posted:

This is actually a pretty good argument for B.

If a doorway moves towards you at X m/s, then from the doorway's perspective you're moving towards it at the same speed. Once you pass through the doorway (or the doorway passes around you, doesn't matter), you are now separating at the same speed as you were closing previously. Again, regardless of who is actually moving (but it is the doorway, in this case).

If the portals are two sides of the same doorway, then you must leave the other portal at the same relative speed as you entered the first, because how could you possibly leave a door slower than you're entering it?

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

Inceltown posted:

Going to offer a different theory.

She's paid someone to make an AI for her and they're just posting rather than do the work of training a dataset because she'll be bored of it in a day. Someone just made 6 figures to call her human Grimes for a day.

Judging by the dates this has been going on all month

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

sebmojo posted:

Post twets plox

https://twitter.com/CSharpM7/status/1694079994849546517?t=BxT0ppetoH74Ki4M2cBq5Q&s=19

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

https://twitter.com/fairykouture/status/1693985012088197205

https://twitter.com/dearlucy/status/1693975226311233917

https://twitter.com/inthefade/status/1694057392831381984

https://twitter.com/eliyudin/status/1694070579207209367

https://twitter.com/dawning_crow/status/1693949029988880746

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Dameius posted:

The portal does not confer momentum, but the object moving through the portal preserves momentum. Thus the answer is obviously C, the portal is too high on the train and they'll be murdered when it runs them over.

Twitter using SA for their hot takes.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I would disagree with that “how to hold animal books” as that lizard down 3 from top left looks pretty loving pissed off

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Frank Frank posted:

I would disagree with that “how to hold animal books” as that lizard down 3 from top left looks pretty loving pissed off

I doubt the dragonfly and butterfly would like that much either

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

E: I guess I won’t be lazy about it:

https://i.imgur.com/ilfCHAp.mp4

freeedr has a new favorite as of 23:13 on Aug 22, 2023

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Frank Frank posted:

No, the threat display is how it expresses... uhh... gratitude

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Tree Bucket posted:

No, the threat display is how it expresses... uhh... gratitude

Turns the page and there’s some guy helicoptering a dog by it’s tail

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Very concerning.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/ibathedaily/status/1694025799416918125?s=20

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Frank Frank posted:

Turns the page and there’s some guy helicoptering a dog by it’s tail

Some dude holding a rabbit by its ears like an old-timey cartoon magician. :ohdear:

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

What's it called when the duck who loves milkshakes isn't racist enough

https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/1694073045667684724?s=20

Too many images to bother uploading so the main tweet is "Promoted algorithm boosted 'based' red beard hillbilly son guy was faking his accent and says diversity is our strength"
and the responses are
"and just like that he's done"
"And I'm out"
"This psyop is so over"
"The CIA's Milli Vanilli

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/DewEnjoyer/status/1693861762683056251
thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
If he’s a plant what does that accomplish trick them with his next single is Gay sex makes me cum red white and blue?