Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Just had my first "Welp" Moment. Batchall, timby versus two mechs. Steps into rouch terrain(whatever causes a psr). Oh well, 3/4. Fails. Falls. K/O. Fails to wake up while getting shot to poo poo. Players do mercy upon me and give me a free re-consciousness. Fails PSR to stand up, falls, crits engine fpr second time, pilot K/O'd.

Thusly, the BBEG of my campaign failed to impress.

I mean, it was kind of funny. But man, that was a painful 3/4 of an hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
That's when you land your BBEG's rival, have them usurp the BBEG's role, and turn your former BBEG into Kristen Redmond. :v:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

PoptartsNinja posted:

That's when you land your BBEG's rival, have them usurp the BBEG's role, and turn your former BBEG into Kristen Redmond. :v:
:hmmyes:

Plus calling in the last stuff bid away is allowed anyway.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I believe that's your opponent's final bid that you can call in and it's NBD.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
But you can call in up to your original bid at the loss of face and concessions to the people who bid against you. So if your first bid was "the whole galaxy" and you bid down to two 'Mechs, you could still call in that full galaxy if you needed to.

That's why it was such a big deal for Ulric to bid away WarShip support because the Clans nuking their opposition from orbit if an assault went badly was always on the table, previously.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Ah, I was thinking of what you can get as a freebie. Yeah that's accurate

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Clans were originally supposed to finish off the Capellan Confederation, so it's more a way to bring the Lyrans into that fight--and then they flipped the table as it were. But that would've left the Draconis Combine out in the Clan Invasion era. There's absolutely no way the Combine would've stepped in to aid the other successor states, it would've been backstab o'clock if the Clans had attacked from the rimward side of the Inner Sphere.

Makes sense, considering the Wolf's Dragoons popped in the first time on the FedRat side of things. Albeit right at the pinch of Davion/Kurita/Outworlds influence.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Even given the goofy reverse physics of larger Autocannons having shorter range and 'Mechs having less density than balloons, if the brains of all the fictional operations out there were smart and learned from their mistakes, everybody would field only one or two models of optimal unit per use case, weapons would be drilled down to just a single hole-puncher and a single sandblaster (and a single conventional infantry meat grinder), and hey, they'd probably go ahead and realize that AeroSpace units are still busted AF and completely replace 'Mechs with them altogether.

Funny that you mention this, the author of the Gray Death Trilogy eventually made his own novel series of genuine OC battlemechs, and yeah, exactly this happened. His setting started out with mechs that were still clearly related to battlemechs, but then technology progressed and in the final novel, mechs had mutated into blob-shaped nanotech aerospace-fighters that could also grow legs and walk, if needed.

So I guess, eventually every weapon system will end up as some sort of space fighter, given enough time :v:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

For all the garbage the Clans spew about honor, the reality is that the only honorable outcome is victory regardless of how it was achieved (as long as the other guy isn't alive to complain)

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
As long as no one who is going to complain is alive*

A victory that pisses off another Clan badly enough to want you dead, or your superior, or an underling who can outduel you, or a rival in another cluster, is still going to get you in a lot of trouble you can't really afford.

The ultimate rule of Clan politics is "never piss off someone who can kill you bad enough that they want to" and every concept of "honor" stems from that concept.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

why is sarna dot net named after sarna, anyway?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
There's an explanation on the site somewhere, but it amounts to it being available and the founder liked it well enough.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Finally finished wolves on the border. I really like charrette's writing style.

Going to do the warrior trilogy now since I guess that's the wedding/succession war? The list in the back of wolves says warrior trilogy -> heir to the dragon -> kerensky trilogy should be how I go.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?
I gather from the lore that after a point the Inner Sphere gets access to Clan mechs and weapons via trade, which means theoretically you could have Clan mechs in an IS lance (like MUL lists the Madcat Mk2 and a few other Clan units as available to the Federated Commonwealth post-3060).

I'm guessing if I took one, it would come with a 4/5 pilot and have adjusted BV accordingly, as the standard 3/4 pilots in Clan forces represent the better pilots?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
You pay BV for pilot upgrades even for Clan Regular pilots. Anything other than 4/5 cost extra.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I believe the default BV for clan mechs assumes a 4/5 pilot and you actually have to make the adjustment for Clan pilots

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

Bob Smith posted:

I gather from the lore that after a point the Inner Sphere gets access to Clan mechs and weapons via trade, which means theoretically you could have Clan mechs in an IS lance (like MUL lists the Madcat Mk2 and a few other Clan units as available to the Federated Commonwealth post-3060).

I'm guessing if I took one, it would come with a 4/5 pilot and have adjusted BV accordingly, as the standard 3/4 pilots in Clan forces represent the better pilots?

Not just trade, but by the Dark Ages, the Clans have been in the IS long enough that other powers have figured out how to make Clanspec'd weapons as well. Granted, they're not CHEAP and logistics can be a bitch, which is why you still see a lot of designs using the older IS weapons, and also why you see the Clans themselves using IS tech as well as Clantech. Clantech might be fantastic when your entire army numbers only a few thousand across a handful of worlds, but when you have to equip an empire spanning over 50 worlds with troops numbering in the millions, suddenly all those cheaper, inferior weapons start looking quite appealing to your logistics corp.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

FrostyPox posted:

I believe the default BV for clan mechs assumes a 4/5 pilot and you actually have to make the adjustment for Clan pilots

Yes. Battle value doesn't give a single gently caress about your character's backstory. Whether you're a Clanner or a pilot from an elite unit or whatever else, if your skills are not 4/5 you will change that BV.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Rorahusky posted:

Not just trade, but by the Dark Ages, the Clans have been in the IS long enough that other powers have figured out how to make Clanspec'd weapons as well. Granted, they're not CHEAP and logistics can be a bitch, which is why you still see a lot of designs using the older IS weapons, and also why you see the Clans themselves using IS tech as well as Clantech. Clantech might be fantastic when your entire army numbers only a few thousand across a handful of worlds, but when you have to equip an empire spanning over 50 worlds with troops numbering in the millions, suddenly all those cheaper, inferior weapons start looking quite appealing to your logistics corp.

Yeah, there was a story/in-universe discussion of Clantech in one of the Shrapnel issues ("The Clan Upgrade", Issue 9 if anyone wants to know) that also noted Clan tech doesn't last as long as IS stuff (part of the weight savings, apparently, though a lot is just better materials science). And while having it limited to a relatively small group of warriors supported by a large caste of technicians for fighting in brief Trials makes it possible for the Clans to work that way, I expect many Clan Mechs would be considered hangar queens by the Inner Sphere if they require that much more maintenance and part replacement. It would also slow propagation of Clantech in the IS if the factories need to concentrate on making more spare parts to support the full weapons they sell.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I kinda wish they went more into the technical explanations. I understand why they don't (they don't want to write themselves into a corner and go overly technical), but you figure at some point there's reasons why Clan LRM racks are half-weight, and Clan PPCs are so much more powerful.

The hanger queen bit is a perfect tradeoff (story-wise at least). Instead of a big dedicated reinforced metal subframe with x number (5,10,15,20) of tubes, feed mechanisms secured in with fasteners, and a ton of shock-proofing, you get a nearly wireframe metal box with modular 5-tube shelves made of carbon fiber with all the control electronics baked in. Lasts far fewer sorties, but slide in the next one when it doesn't pass a quick plug-in diag or visual lookover.

What's that you say, Clanners are supposed to despise waste? Wow, imagine that, a bunch of loud hypocrites, unthinkable

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

GD_American posted:

What's that you say, Clanners are supposed to despise waste? Wow, imagine that, a bunch of loud hypocrites, unthinkable
:hmmyes:

That's how we know it's sci-fi.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

GD_American posted:

I kinda wish they went more into the technical explanations. I understand why they don't (they don't want to write themselves into a corner and go overly technical), but you figure at some point there's reasons why Clan LRM racks are half-weight, and Clan PPCs are so much more powerful.

The hanger queen bit is a perfect tradeoff (story-wise at least). Instead of a big dedicated reinforced metal subframe with x number (5,10,15,20) of tubes, feed mechanisms secured in with fasteners, and a ton of shock-proofing, you get a nearly wireframe metal box with modular 5-tube shelves made of carbon fiber with all the control electronics baked in. Lasts far fewer sorties, but slide in the next one when it doesn't pass a quick plug-in diag or visual lookover.

Story I mentioned did claim they went with the "less long lived" approach at least partially because they were pretty good at recycling their stuff after it breaks, so they aren't full hypocrites on the waste issue at least (really, the one thing the Clans like to waste is the lives of their people). Also suggested a lot of their performance increase was owed to better software (apparently a lot of the higher damage from Clan ER lasers come from the processor controlling coolant flow in the lasers better so they can run them harder without melting them, and it also is why their LRMs lack minimum range issues). Which could also explain slow adoption by the IS given the utter nightmare getting Clan systems to talk to their stuff probably is ("Clan code does not coddle the weak, fr33birth!").

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Nah, the Clans love waste, they just tell themselves that anything the warriors do is not wasteful.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Clan tech operates better because of a shamanistic magic field that is powered by their belief in their own superiority.

So powerful is this belief it continues to operate better when no longer under the control of the clans, and even when replicated by outsiders as this is a form of homage to their greatness.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Owlbear Camus posted:

Clan tech operates better because of a shamanistic magic field that is powered by their belief in their own superiority.

The clans are Orks

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?

FrostyPox posted:

What was confusing me I think is MegaMek does the adjustments automatically - I've only played in person with IS vs IS stuff using starter box rules and the free record sheets available on the battletech.com website, so haven't run into Clan stuff outside of the online program.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.
Put me down as another for the Fedcom sucked and the FCCW couldn't happen soon enough

With the discussion of the Fedcom and how basically meh the 4SW was in the first place, a thought popped in my head. I've seen really old maps of the Inner Sphere (i think from MechWarrior 1st Ed) that instead of the "squiggly line" type we know and love was just a straight-line division of the Inner Sphere into five sections of equal size.

Obviously this was abandoned but I couldn't help but wonder why they dumped having a stronger Capellan Confederation in the future maps.

Also, I think this was the same book that had the, I guess, original Free Worlds League insignia which was a circle with a sort of puzzle piece break up inside representing the founding states. While I'm all for purple bird stronk I think this insignia was cooler.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

Holybat posted:

Also, I think this was the same book that had the, I guess, original Free Worlds League insignia which was a circle with a sort of puzzle piece break up inside representing the founding states. While I'm all for purple bird stronk I think this insignia was cooler.

I can't recall this one. Both MW 1st ed and even the 2nd edition BT box set (the one with the pie map) have the classic eagle. Does anyone have an image?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Xotl posted:

I can't recall this one. Both MW 1st ed and even the 2nd edition BT box set (the one with the pie map) have the classic eagle. Does anyone have an image?

They're talking about it in this Btech forums thread: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=21384.0

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Neat! A little harder to recognize from far away though, I'd bet

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

PeterWeller posted:

They're talking about it in this Btech forums thread: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=21384.0

This thread's last post was over 10 years ago lmao

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Is there a better zombie at 2k BV than the archangel?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Question about line of sight for Alpha Strike.

If Mech A backs up against a building so the base is touching, and Mech B jumps up so it's standing on the roof directly behind it, does B have line of sight to A? Rules say draw LOS from rhe cockpit which would mean some bigger mechs have no issues peeking over the edge while the smaller ones (Wasp!) can't see past their base.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Units never obscure line of sight so you look through the base like it isn't there.

Saint Celestine posted:

https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Inferno_(OmniMech)

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Neat! A little harder to recognize from far away though, I'd bet

According to the Steiner house book, this was the original emblem of the Lyran Commonwealth.

I guess it could be like... a seal or something?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Picked up the Warrior Trilogy hardcovers and man

The last two books have the literal exact same blurb on them. This company man.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Saint Celestine posted:

The Awesome 11H.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Picked up the Warrior Trilogy hardcovers and man

The last two books have the literal exact same blurb on them. This company man.

It's the Warrior Trilogy, what can you expect if not more of the same?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
What book does this body double thing happen in? It's referenced in the warrior trilogy that the capellans hosed around with it. There was a bit in assumption of risk that felt like a body double situation but doesn't that take place way later?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

the sword and the dagger