Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Elviscat posted:

"How the gently caress am I going to leave the country? In my 757 with "TRUMP" painted on the side in giant gold letters? Oh, I'll just fly commercial, I'm sure no one will notice the fattest, stupidest president in US history with a bad comb-over trying to wedge his bediapered rear end into an economy seat.

Where would I even go? Russia to hang out with Vlad?"

It's not a terrible point and kinda funny, as much as I don't want to hand it to Donnie.

I honestly thought he was serious about going to Russia lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

It would be HILARIOUS to see him in exile in Russia, but he's way too arrogant and narcissistic to flee the states.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
hasnt his plane been non-op for years now?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ded posted:

hasnt his plane been non-op for years now?

It was missing an engine and had a backlog of maintenance when he left office, but it’s been flying again since last year.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Milo and POTUS posted:

Someone got into the Panzerschokolade

Panzerschokolade apparently was never real, the picture of a bar of "Tanker's Chocolate" is a photoshop, the candy company across the top of the wrapper didn't exist until 1987, and they didn't even open a candy factory until 1999. It was actually a big thing because the implication that Zotter was providing the Nazis with chocolate gave them a negative public image. There's no primary source information regarding the existence of meth infused chocolates. No tattered wrappers in any collections or contemporary diary entries from troops at the time. Doesn't mean it was wholly invented, though, as there's tons of info regarding them issuing Pervitin to troops directly, but never in the form of a chocolate bar.

There is however Fliegerschokolade, which did exist and is still sold in chocolate disks, but it is and was just caffeinated chocolate, which while that's definitely a pick-me-up for flight crews it's not quite Pervitin (amphetamines).

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

must have been an amazing series of decisions that led to this lol

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There ought to be a Joe Greenstein memorial award for beating Nazis.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Herstory Begins Now posted:

must have been an amazing series of decisions that led to this lol

I'm sure there were at least 10 opportunities before that dumb gently caress hopped in the ring for him to decide "actually no, this isn't a good idea" but man was too dumb and too racist for his own good. Levi absolutely took it easy on him though, even going 3/10 on him he rocked his poo poo.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
When even Elon Musk is exercising better judgement in not getting his rear end beat, you’ve hosed up big time.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

"Sorry? What the gently caress you mean, sorry? Shut up!"

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

orange juche posted:

There is however Fliegerschokolade, which did exist and is still sold in chocolate disks, but it is and was just caffeinated chocolate, which while that's definitely a pick-me-up for flight crews it's not quite Pervitin (amphetamines).

Schokakola is pretty good as a ration btw.
It comes in a metal container without much wasted space, so it doesn't get broken apart in your backpack.

Just… don't eat the whole thing at once.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Antigravitas posted:

Schokakola is pretty good as a ration btw.
It comes in a metal container without much wasted space, so it doesn't get broken apart in your backpack.

Just… don't eat the whole thing at once.

https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/scho-ka-kola-100-g-tin-box-10-pack/70844 If you buy them by the individual tin it's 3.99 USD, which aint bad for domestic chocolate, much less an imported product. Varusteleka's shipping rates aren't terrible, either.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

haha wasn't this the only reason anyone still uses that hellsite

quote:

X tests removing headlines from links to news articles / Owner Elon Musk is pushing for X to develop a format for news articles where they only show a lead image and the source URL.

X, the social media site formerly known as Twitter, is testing stripping headlines from articles shared on the site. The move was initially reported by Fortune, before X owner Elon Musk confirmed it directly. Posts would only include the lead image and the URL, unless the person or publisher posting the link adds their own text, per materials the outlet viewed.

The image would still serve as a link to the article, but there's no word on a timetable to roll it out or confirmation that it will ship at all. “It’s something Elon wants,” a source is quoted as saying, “They were running it by advertisers, who didn’t like it, but it’s happening.”

According to Musk, the change “will greatly improve the esthetics” of the service. Other explanations for the change reported by Fortune include reducing the height of individual posts so users’ timelines display more content, and that Musk apparently “believes the change will help curb clickbait.”

https://www.theverge.com/2023/8/22/23841012/x-twitter-remove-headlines-news-elon-musk

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Aug 22, 2023

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Handsome Ralph posted:

:lmao: if he ends actually tries to make a run for it.

Given his propensity for projection, you know this is exactly what he wants- he's fantasizing about holding hands and skipping down the street with his bigly mancrush Vlad.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Platystemon posted:

It was missing an engine and had a backlog of maintenance when he left office, but it’s been flying again since last year.

Yeah, he crowd grifted the repairs.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’ve never understood the appeal of donating to a man who brags about his billions.

He could ostensibly fund centuries of campaigns from his own pocket.

I mean, some of the donors are expecting quid pro quo, which I think is stupid on multiple levels, but that’s not what motivates all of them.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Musk banning headlines might be the most pot high idea I think I've ever heard. Taking things away from people might be his only joy though? Next he'll be banning ice cream

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Platystemon posted:

I’ve never understood the appeal of donating to a man who brags about his billions.

I mean, some of the donors are expecting quid pro quo, which I think is stupid on multiple levels, but that’s not what motivates all of them.

I need to help Trump, he's in danger. Only me giving him part of my social security check can save this nation. I'm an important part of the Patriot Eagle Truth Warrior team!

If there's nothing else Trump is good at, the one thing he's got is being a conman and he's got these hateful poo poo people wrapped around his pinky by manipulating their emotions.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

bird food bathtub posted:

I'm an important part of the Patriot Eagle Truth Warrior team!
It's 100% this. Owning the libs by giving my meagre cash to a supposed billionaire.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

shame on an IGA posted:

haha wasn't this the only reason anyone still uses that hellsite

Yeah, but he hates news, wants to juice impressions, and wants more shinies-per-inch for his ketamine-addled brain.

Chances are everyone will adapt by putting the headline as the last piece of text before the image, so it won't even work for what the dumbass wants. Or there will be lots of image-crops with a link to the article.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

facialimpediment posted:

Yeah, but he hates news, wants to juice impressions, and wants more shinies-per-inch for his ketamine-addled brain.

Chances are everyone will adapt by putting the headline as the last piece of text before the image, so it won't even work for what the dumbass wants. Or there will be lots of image-crops with a link to the article.

The story picture will now just be a picture of the headline. The only thing twitter has every actually been good for is news, and especially sports news, so this is top tier elon brain genius poo poo.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I figured folks would just adapt by putting the headline in the image

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

Given his propensity for projection, you know this is exactly what he wants- he's fantasizing about holding hands and skipping down the street with his bigly mancrush Vlad.

"How could I possibly leave the country? In my private plane? Where would I even go? A nation with a history of not extraditing wanted people? Comeon... pure fantasy"

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I’d actually be interested if he could pull it off in his crapcan of a plane. I don’t think it’s up to a transoceanic journey, unless he bunny hops his way to Juneau or something then heads to Vladivostok.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Elviscat posted:

It would be HILARIOUS to see him in exile in Russia, but he's way too arrogant and narcissistic to flee the states.

There's unfortunately no reason for him to go into exile. He's the favorite to win the GOP primary, he has a massive donor base, none of the charges prevent running for president and it's non zero he loses if he does get the nomination. Very glad we decorumed our way to this reality

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
What if you make a "sports and news twitter" where the only "blue checks" were staff verified actual media people. Like Jon Bois.

Some sort of RSS feed, that you could post a nested comment tree on. Tree reply threads are awful and I hate them but people are reddit poisoned and yes I know you can't maintain linear comment BBS style beyond like 25 people per thread.

What I'm saying is balkanize the internet again. Its incredibly cheap to setup the platform, and expensive to get the initial seed of content that people want to see.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

maffew buildings posted:

There's unfortunately no reason for him to go into exile. He's the favorite to win the GOP primary, he has a massive donor base, none of the charges prevent running for president and it's non zero he loses if he does get the nomination. Very glad we decorumed our way to this reality

Remember when the electoral college was touted as this cool thing that would save us from people like trump?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
People who have spent their whole lives being fleeced by Evangelical preachers, unsurprisingly, continue to be fleeced by their own leaders.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Yeah, the donor thing is made up of his hyperloyalists who either think the libs are the downfall of America or that they have some civic duty to make a difference to donate to a billionaire because then he'll like them.

Look at the targeted emails that were coming out around the election. "Donald was looking at the list and notices your name wasn't there!"

Coasterphreak posted:

I’d actually be interested if he could pull it off in his crapcan of a plane. I don’t think it’s up to a transoceanic journey, unless he bunny hops his way to Juneau or something then heads to Vladivostok.

The 757 can do it. Delta and United were flying fully loaded ones across the Atlantic prior to COVID and I think United has resumed doing so. With only a couple people on board, it would presumably have more range.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

The 757 can do it. Delta and United were flying fully loaded ones across the Atlantic prior to COVID and I think United has resumed doing so. With only a couple people on board, it would presumably have more range.
Can confirm. Have ridden a 757 in 3x3 domestic configuration from Cleveland to Gatwick. Will never do that again.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Platystemon posted:

It’s about participation. You aren’t just angrily watching OAN, you now have a financial link to his struggle.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

fknlo posted:

The story picture will now just be a picture of the headline. The only thing twitter has every actually been good for is news, and especially sports news, so this is top tier elon brain genius poo poo.

Also for community building for people like those who suffer from epilepsy. Howfuckingever, once he kills the ability to block someone, those who are photo-sensitive will have no way to defend themselves against malicious actors who throw flashing bullshit up to gently caress with us. Again.

So while my ability to reach new dev teams and build a network with other epileptics is entirely dependent on twitter, I'll have to hit the eject button once that block option goes away.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Images instead of text are also bad for accessibility for blind people.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

SerthVarnee posted:

Also for community building for people like those who suffer from epilepsy. Howfuckingever, once he kills the ability to block someone, those who are photo-sensitive will have no way to defend themselves against malicious actors who throw flashing bullshit up to gently caress with us. Again.

So while my ability to reach new dev teams and build a network with other epileptics is entirely dependent on twitter, I'll have to hit the eject button once that block option goes away.

Is there any way to file an ADA complaint against them for that?

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
No clue, I'm from Denmark so the ADA might not apply to me.
Besides, it's not like Musk has let breaking all the rules stop him from doing poo poo that harms other people before.

Getting a change reversed in 3 months isn't going to help me much if the seizure I get tomorrow kills me or gives me permanent brain damage.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Crab Dad posted:

Remember when the electoral college was touted as this cool thing that would save us from people like trump?

Any residual illusion that the EC was gifted to us by brain genius demigods pretty much evaporated for me after reading Pauline Maier's Ratification

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Handsome Ralph posted:

:lmao: if he ends actually tries to make a run for it.

Is he just trying to write new TARP training examples

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

stealie72 posted:

Can confirm. Have ridden a 757 in 3x3 domestic configuration from Cleveland to Gatwick. Will never do that again.

Did you get lost on the plane

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

stealie72 posted:

Hey it got you out of Cleveland didn’t it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
As Tom Waits says, sometimes you just have to go to Cleveland