Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
So I was getting some elbow pain, and I start googling how to fix golfer's elbow. And it turns out that I have tennis elbow instead? Weird.

JSmithOTI posted:

I mean that I was playing whites, he was playing Golds in front of me. Usually folks on the white tees would go first, right? So of he tees off on the Golds before me then that would be out of turn. Or at least that's how I understand it.
Oh, yeah. That ordering is typical. But maybe part of their reaction is that you maybe should not be playing the whites. At least at that course. A 6200 yard par 70 is no joke for someone still learning the game.

i am a moron posted:

It’s hilarious how you’ll run into some gigantic rear end in a top hat who nitpicks everything about ‘etiquette’ playing solo and run into a group of eight on the same day. Last time I got stuck behind a huge group was at my buddy’s club with a solo dude who joined us and was going NUTS about the situation, when we got to the clubhouse and started drinking/bitching about it this one dude was like ‘oh yea that was our group LOL too bad you had to wait I’m also head of the membership committee’ :doh:
My shameful golf confession - I think you should be able to play with as big a group as you want so long as you stay under 4 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

gvibes posted:

My shameful golf confession - I think you should be able to play with as big a group as you want so long as you stay under 4 hours.

Should’ve mentioned - we bumped into them like twice waiting for them to get off the green. They played as fast or faster than most foursomes we run into there. The solo guy couldn’t let it go lol

Went golfing in NC for vacation and there was no one in front or behind us the entire time on the course and they still made us break a group of five up. Like really motherfuckers were all vacationing together and the course is empty

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

i am a moron posted:

Should’ve mentioned - we bumped into them like twice waiting for them to get off the green. They played as fast or faster than most foursomes we run into there. The solo guy couldn’t let it go lol

Went golfing in NC for vacation and there was no one in front or behind us the entire time on the course and they still made us break a group of five up. Like really motherfuckers were all vacationing together and the course is empty

Play the first as a 3 and a 2, then meet up on the second.

Just like when I’m told I can’t play off the whites.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
We did and then the ranger came out to tepidly scold us. Was loving annoying

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I showed up to one of our league nights a few weeks ago and my (randomly assigned) league mates had invited one of their friends making it 5, which yeah can’t do that, but also it’s a 6:00 weeknight muni tee time so who cares. Evidently the 75 year old white ladies behind us did though, because they immediately started complaining at us before we teed off, which I ignored because I had nothing to do with it. Anyway, it was a non issue because we play fast and we lost them by the third tee box.

Then three weeks later that same group of 4 ladies who were complaining about a 5th person slowing things down were a couple of groups ahead of us on a Par 3 course holding up the entire loving course lol

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Lol who invites a buddy to play in a league night unless it’s to sub for somebody?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I watched a starter send out a fivesome in front of my threesome last year. He intentionally added the single to the group because he "felt bad for the guy playing alone". The single didn't know anyone in the group either.

Never underestimate stupidity.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Suprfli6 posted:

Lol who invites a buddy to play in a league night unless it’s to sub for somebody?

Yeah it was super weird and random. I was annoyed with it at the time, but it’s not a “real” league that’s competitive or anything so whatever. Myself and an actual friend of mine made up 2 of the regular 4 so when he saw our other 2 normal players plus one he thought I wasn’t making it and didn’t tell him lol

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Played a round with my fitted clubs yesterday.

Having all of my irons being 0.5" shorter now means that my club is 0.5" above the ground on the downswing and I am topping the poo poo out of every ball. This is going to take some range time to re-train.

I'm posting record distances with the driver though, so I'm real happy about that.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

MustardFacial posted:

Having all of my irons being 0.5" shorter now means that my club is 0.5" above the ground on the downswing and I am topping the poo poo out of every ball. This is going to take some range time to re-train.

If you were set up over a shot with your 9i and all of a sudden there was a decent wind directly in your face, so you put the 9i back in the bag and grabbed your 8i instead, would you stand in the exact same spot relative to the ball and just fire your 8i directly into the ground behind it, or would you do something else?

Point is, changing the shaft length of your irons shouldn't cause you to top or chunk shots. If you could hit your 8i normally before, that club is now the same length as your 9i was before in your case. It should take you some time to recalibrate your distances, since it's not exactly like going 1 club down, but you should adjust to the shaft length change pretty easily.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

BCRock posted:

If you were set up over a shot with your 9i and all of a sudden there was a decent wind directly in your face, so you put the 9i back in the bag and grabbed your 8i instead, would you stand in the exact same spot relative to the ball and just fire your 8i directly into the ground behind it

This is exactly what would happen.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I guess that's a benefit to one length?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Mid nineties today, cloudless day, but very low humidity, constant breeze of 5-10 mph, with some gusts to 20+. Beautiful.

Technical question: bad golfer with me had a repeatable error I can't figure out...on any swing that was less than a full swing, he hit it off the toe dead right. Like, 90% of the time, including on some putts.

Also, birdied 18, but...had 6' to go, after my best shot of the day from 160 with a 20 mph right to left wind. Marked my ball, and put the ball down, and noticed not one, not two, but three unrepaired ball marks, all dead as hell, in my line. I did what I could, but the last one was just a one inch circle of dirt. I moved my ball two inches, made the birdie. Said gently caress it, put it in original spot, hit the ball about a foot harder, made the birdie. Felt guilty. gently caress it, I don't turn in scores for handicap, so what?

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

torgeaux posted:

Technical question: bad golfer with me had a repeatable error I can't figure out...on any swing that was less than a full swing, he hit it off the toe dead right. Like, 90% of the time, including on some putts.

Unless it’s like so far off the toe they’re missing the club face entirely (or the face is so far open at the point of impact that it is being cut across completely and the toe is basically where the middle of the club used to be), something off the toe will be hooking left, not right.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Unless it’s like so far off the toe they’re missing the club face entirely (or the face is so far open at the point of impact that it is being cut across completely and the toe is basically where the middle of the club used to be), something off the toe will be hooking left, not right.

Yes, it was the kind of complete miss where the ball would go dead right, the kind where you hit your own golf cart. Where the club head/ball contact was in the last quarter inch of the club head, no where near the club face. Total distance in the twenty yard area. And on a couple of putts just skittering off the toe dead right.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

torgeaux posted:

Yes, it was the kind of complete miss where the ball would go dead right, the kind where you hit your own golf cart. Where the club head/ball contact was in the last quarter inch of the club head, no where near the club face. Total distance in the twenty yard area. And on a couple of putts just skittering off the toe dead right.

Coming so far inside the ball that he was actually missing it entirely and just ticking off the toe to knock it right? I feel like you'd be able to see that in a putt, though.

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!
I used to hit shots I could swear were complete toe hits. Then I got on a shot tracker and saw what was actually happening...I was hitting right at the hosel/clubface meeting point and couldn't tell the difference :golf:

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

TacoHavoc posted:

I used to hit shots I could swear were complete toe hits. Then I got on a shot tracker and saw what was actually happening...I was hitting right at the hosel/clubface meeting point and couldn't tell the difference :golf:

Similar experience here. I was chipping and occasionally the shots would go right and I thought I was toeing them. Had my friend watch me do a couple and he saw that they were going off the heel. Now I feel like I'm swinging way over the top on chips and they work. That's golf, feel isn't real.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Yeah, these weren't hosel rockets. The putting just made it clear he was just almost missing the ball. I was just curious about the mechanics of a partial swing almost missing a ball like that, over and over, his most consistent swing characteristic.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

torgeaux posted:

Yeah, these weren't hosel rockets. The putting just made it clear he was just almost missing the ball. I was just curious about the mechanics of a partial swing almost missing a ball like that, over and over, his most consistent swing characteristic.

Maybe he got some bad advice about where to stand/ball placement for less than full swings and he's too far away from the ball. I guess he could also be using a very weak grip that lays the face wide open on touch shots but he's able to time it up on a full swing. Putting who knows, unless he uses the same made up weak grip for putting.

ABen
Jul 11, 2008

Look - we need to have a stiff upper lip about this Black Death business.

Going to play my first 18 in about 4 years on Thursday (tldr, left my clubs in America pre-covid and just got back to get them).

Hit a couple of buckets off of a grass range and did a couple of hours of Topgolf with my brother this morning (the approach shot game is a lot of fun!).

Did a few hours of pitching and sand practice over the past week, and a bunch of chipping and 2-8 ft putting practice.

I don't think I've ever broken 100, so I'm going to try to stick with the Sidekick's approach (no trying to smash drives, keep it short and findable when in doubt). Anything obvious that I'm forgetting? I'll be playing with my dad and brother, and it really won't be competitive. I'm really excited!

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

ABen posted:

Going to play my first 18 in about 4 years on Thursday (tldr, left my clubs in America pre-covid and just got back to get them).

Hit a couple of buckets off of a grass range and did a couple of hours of Topgolf with my brother this morning (the approach shot game is a lot of fun!).

Did a few hours of pitching and sand practice over the past week, and a bunch of chipping and 2-8 ft putting practice.

I don't think I've ever broken 100, so I'm going to try to stick with the Sidekick's approach (no trying to smash drives, keep it short and findable when in doubt). Anything obvious that I'm forgetting? I'll be playing with my dad and brother, and it really won't be competitive. I'm really excited!

I was going to post that I broke 90 (88) using the Sidekick approach. It''s not just about keeping it short and findable, it's also about opting out of pressure situations whenever possible. Also, take your driver and 60 degree wedge out of your bag before you leave the house.

ABen
Jul 11, 2008

daslog posted:

I was going to post that I broke 90 (88) using the Sidekick approach. It''s not just about keeping it short and findable, it's also about opting out of pressure situations whenever possible. Also, take your driver and 60 degree wedge out of your bag before you leave the house.

Already took out the L and the 9° driver. It's an old Ping G15, so I don't think I'm missing much. I took out the 4W as well, though I go back and forth on that one.

Probably I mostly need to not over think it - I'm there to have fun.

e: Even if I don't break 110 or whatever, I'm still out in the sun playing golf with my dad and brother for the first time in half a decade. Gotta remember that part of it.

ABen fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Aug 22, 2023

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

ABen posted:

Already took out the L and the 9° driver. It's an old Ping G15, so I don't think I'm missing much. I took out the 4W as well, though I go back and forth on that one.

Probably I mostly need to not over think it - I'm there to have fun.

e: Even if I don't break 110 or whatever, I'm still out in the sun playing golf with my dad and brother for the first time in half a decade. Gotta remember that part of it.

Yep. Almost forgot. The part about looking at the handicaps on the holes is important. The 9 hardest holes you shoot for double-bogey, the 9 easier holes you shoot for a bogey. So that 399 yard par 4 that is the hardest on the course? You are going for a 6, 4 to get on, 2 putt and you are good.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Yesterday I had my worst league night of the year, shooting +7 for 9 holes. Tonight I played the same nine holes in pretty much the same conditions and shot -1 and felt like I could have easily been even lower. Yesterday I was suddenly conscious that my right thumb wasn't positioned correctly and couldn't get that out of my head while swinging at all but today I strengthened my left hand a touch and just put my right hand in the most comfortable position to match up to my left which meant it was a lot stronger than previously. The result was drives that were going straight and long but some irons/wedges/chips that were a little pulled or lower flighted. Once I adjusted it improved quite a bit so I'm looking forward to the rest of the week.

Next Tuesday is the last match of the league and my partner and I are just barely in first place. The A player on the second place team is notorious for not giving any putts ever no matter how close you are or if he's already won the hole and literally 3/4 of the league have specifically told me to grind him down with no mercy next week. Definitely a weird vibe for a fun beer league with hardly anything on the line that's mostly full of guys that have been golfing together for 10+ years. I had subbed in this league fairly often over the past few years but this year I played the entire season in the place of someone that needed hip and knee surgery and was completely out of commission for the year.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

I'm an 11 handicap who shot an 84 on Friday, couldn't even hit the club face at my practice session tonight. Golf is wild.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

How the gently caress did you hit the hosel that badly.

I'm pretty sure I would break my hand if I did that.

Also what did the ball do upon hitting it like that? I legitimately have no idea how it'd behave.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Kirios posted:

I'm pretty sure I would break my hand if I did that.

Also what did the ball do upon hitting it like that? I legitimately have no idea how it'd behave.

It didn't feel fantastic (zx7 8 iron), 100 yards out, 45* right. I'm blaming tiredness from work and pretending it never happened.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

I went to the range the other day and loving wiffed twice before smacking ten perfect drives right in a row. Didn’t look around still hope no one noticed lmao

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Caught the biggest flyer of my life tonight at league. Had ~180 in from some kinda thin grass growing away from me, looked like it'd come out hot and there's plenty of room to miss short so I grabbed my 7i (usually my 170 club) and the moment I hit it I started yelling like on TV. I bet it carried 190 at least (into the woods).

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Kirios posted:

Once someone starts shanking, it can be difficult to stop. See: Corey Pavin having to design new clubs to get over the shanks.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
^^ I ended up taking a lesson because of that very thing. Turns out it's a holdover from old swing when I weighed 90 pounds over what I do now. . All wrists.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
The autoslice has been replaced by an autohook.

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!

GEMorris posted:

The autoslice has been replaced by an autohook.

I have an auto-slice and hook combo that mishits 33 percent of the time straight.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
15 just stole Schleffer's soul :yikes:

220+ over water is insane though

ABen
Jul 11, 2008

ABen posted:

Shot 55 + 55, which is probably no worse then when I last played.

Lost 3 balls total (2 in the woods, 1 didn't clear an unskippable hazard), no bunkers, and had my 3 hybrid and approach shots (40-130ish yards) working really well.

Didn't leave myself enough time to practice much chipping and putting before starting and did a hilariously bad job of adapting to the drying greens (I also didn't take enough time lining up putts).

Had an absolute blast, and finished (as a threesome) in just over 4 hours. I'll definitely drag my clubs back across the pond with me and work on my short game in particular. Being able to be at/on the green at GIR+1ish, and not losing many balls is really morale building.

ABen fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Aug 24, 2023

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Just a heads up in case anyone is a beginner or looking for fairway woods on a budget. There's a few folks selling a ton of Adams Tight Lies fairway woods and hybrids from 2022 on ebay (this was the taylor made dtc prequel to what the 2023 complete sets were.). Some are new, some are lightly used without headcovers. I bought a set of the lightly used 3 & 5 wood with a stiff shaft for under $75 shipped. The 5 wood came still with the cellophane on. I'm pretty positive these are the customer returns and overstock from that 2022 relaunch.

Anyhow I took them to the range today and man, for me at my stage of the game, they absolutely gently caress. The 5w was going 190-200 and the 3w was going 210-220, and I was miraculously able to keep them straight most of the time. I played 18 yesterday where I used a 6i as my longest club, can't wait to play with something I can meaningfully tee off with.

I was worried I had hosed up buying stiff, but I've never been able to hit with my driver, mostly due to lack of skill but also because I always felt it just whipped all over the place. Turns out they work just fine and it has me questioning what my swing speed actually is.

Also if folks haven't tried the air compressor method of regripping I'd highly recommend it, it's mind bogglingly easy, I doubt I will ever use double sided solvent activated tape after doing it this way.

GEMorris fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Aug 26, 2023

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I'm intrigued who did you buy them from specifically? I'm in the market for a new 3W and 5W.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Kirios posted:

I'm intrigued who did you buy them from specifically? I'm in the market for a new 3W and 5W.

Quickshipgolf is the main seller with them, ksouth9 is another. Who knows if they will work out for you, but at least it isn't expensive to give them a shot. I don't think I know enough to really have opinions on shafts, but I really like how these felt. I don't know if that's just stiffness, the Synergy shaft, or both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Always check the PXG sales, too. The available shaft options really kick them up a notch.

Speaking of PXG, my 5w shafted with a 3w length stiff shaft is kicking my actual 3w out of the bag. I'm losing a bit of max distance, but frankly my average distance is longer, and I'm in the fairway more often. Gonna put my 4 hybrid back, and dial it back to cover my gap between 5i and 7w.