Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Pierson posted:

With the RG Zaku(s) make 100% sure you have got the right beads (there are two kinds) on the springs in the right order because once you've capped it off you will twist and deform the spring if you need to pull them off to try again. Other than that it's a great kit.

lol exactly this happened to me, thankfully I was able to salvage it by adding another bead to cover the deformation but that tiny asymmetry will haunt me. I suppose if you were careful about it you could cut the twisted spring down to size

e: make-do snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Monaghan posted:

I finally got around completing this in August, so technically got one out of the backlog.

Wow, that looks so good! :eyepop:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Monaghan posted:

I finally got around completing this in August, so technically got one out of the backlog.

For the legs, did you feed the leads down through the leg joints? I'm assuming you had to cut out the grooves in the leg vents too.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Doesn't the RG Zaku tell you specifically to thread the spring through the tubes before you cut them off the runner so that you don't have to deal with asymmetry? Or did they only do that for the Green Zaku and not the Char Zaku?

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

it does, about as explicitly as possible. it marks off which segments you won't use, which direction to put it through, specifies the sprue row and everything. I still found a way to gently caress up on the first one lol, just miscounted or something. it's one of those oversights that only ever happens once because of how annoying it is to fix it

e: ah crap mine was also the green rg zaku my bad i misread

slicing up eyeballs fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Aug 22, 2023

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

Stairmaster posted:

dont do it man

You can't stop me, copper!

I finished the right leg today. It didn't seem that bad. I did make sure to specifically watch out for doing those beads correctly.

Also, holy hell, I knew it was going to be more complex than the HG and EGs I've done up to now, but man, I'm pretty sure that leg alone has more parts than the EG RX-78.

Tergaso
Mar 4, 2007

My God! Wooden eels! Surface! Surface!

Warmachine posted:

I'm going to assume this isn't rhetorical and say that it's because the designer and pilot was a real piece of poo poo and neither knightly nor a fencer. Though he did ape the aesthetic.

He's absolutely the kind of jackbooted rear end in a top hat who'd make a fencer bot then cram it full of mines.

You're telling me this man is a dishonorable rear end in a top hat?

It was rhetorical, it fits M'Quve's personality and role in the anime perfectly. I just find it silly that it was supposed to compete with the Gelgoog for mass-production.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Tergaso posted:

It was rhetorical, it fits M'Quve's personality and role in the anime perfectly. I just find it silly that it was supposed to compete with the Gelgoog for mass-production.

It performed better than the gelgoog in style at least

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

The Gyan definitely feels like it was only put in there to meet contractual agreements on enemy counts. If it didn't have a silly fop as a pilot, I imagine it would have been forgotten just as quickly as all the monster of the week mobile armors that were only thrown in to keep the sponsors off the phones about all the non-marketable feelings and intrigue they dared put in the show. :v:

Cerebulon
Mar 29, 2010

Destroyer of Worlds*
(*No worlds were harmed in the making of this title.)

slicing up eyeballs posted:

it does, about as explicitly as possible. it marks off which segments you won't use, which direction to put it through, specifies the sprue row and everything. I still found a way to gently caress up on the first one lol, just miscounted or something. it's one of those oversights that only ever happens once because of how annoying it is to fix it

e: ah crap mine was also the green rg zaku my bad i misread

The Char Zaku definitely says the same. Doesn't help when you fiddle with the spring too hard later and all the pieces explode off into oblivion and you have to use some of the "spare" pieces from the sprue. But it's definitely the guidance, same as the MG "standard" Zaku, but the RG is far more explicit and detailed about the instructions so presumably people were consistently messing it up on the older kits with similar instructions - though it's also way more important on the RGs because holy poo poo those pipe segments are tiny.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The leg piping with the spring is still fairly simple to put together its the waist piping that is a bastard because they're smaller tubes and there's lots of curves in the piece the tubes run along.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I finished the Orks. It's nice to every now and then remind myself that painting infantry is a loving pain in the rear end. There are so many tiny details and when you're done you've got 9 more guys to do. Anybody who has a fully painted green tide Ork army is braver and stronger than any soldier.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Warmachine posted:

For the legs, did you feed the leads down through the leg joints? I'm assuming you had to cut out the grooves in the leg vents too.

Yeah I fed the leds through the torso into the leg joints. The grooves were actually pre cut. There's a copper coloured piece that goes into the the grooves of the leg vents, I just didn't put in that part.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

RillAkBea posted:

The Gyan definitely feels like it was only put in there to meet contractual agreements on enemy counts. If it didn't have a silly fop as a pilot, I imagine it would have been forgotten just as quickly as all the monster of the week mobile armors that were only thrown in to keep the sponsors off the phones about all the non-marketable feelings and intrigue they dared put in the show. :v:

Speaking of: HGUC Big Zam when

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Tergaso posted:

The Gyan is to the Gelgoog as the Gouf is to the Dom.

Nuebot posted:

:haibrow:

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

Warmachine posted:

The Gyan is to the Gelgoog as the Gouf is to the Dom.

You appear to have written one side of this backward!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

SnakesRevenge posted:

You appear to have written one side of this backward!

I said what I said Ramba Ral.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The image quality is poo poo because I finished at perfectly the right time of day where none of the lights or windows provide reasonable lighting to the shelves

I never expected barbatos to be so much smaller than the nu gundam! Easy kit to build, almost all of the parts cut incredibly cleanly which is nice. But I don't like how it had so many stickers and a very small number of polycaps, combined with how many of its parts just like, slide together vs. clicking or being held in place by other parts. Also, it doesn't come with any extra hands and the instructions are weird because they wait until the very last page to tell you about an entire second arm configuration which feels lame, because they don't give you enough parts to build a third arm - so you have to take the left arm apart to rebuild it and that sucks.

Given how cheap it is though, and how rad the IBO suits are, I'm probably going to get more eventually. I do love the Astaroth origin design.

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

Nuebot posted:

It'd be like three and a half times the size of a standard mobile suit and therefore undisplayable in my house, but I'd mash buy so goddamn fast.

Prof. Banks fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Aug 23, 2023

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
What do ya'll do with your models after you build them if you don't have space to store or display them?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Prof. Banks posted:

It'd be like three and a half times the size of a standard mobile suit and therefore undisplayable in my house, but if mash but so goddamn fast.

I had to look it up, but it is like twenty meters taller than the psycho gundam, go figure.

Tergaso
Mar 4, 2007

My God! Wooden eels! Surface! Surface!
Barzam (AoZ RE-BOOT Version (RE-Zeon Captured colors)) complete. The Zeon flag color scheme is striking but reminds me that the Zeon flag is not very subtle with its inspirations. This was a great kit to build but posing suffers a little due to the odd structure of the suit throwing the balance off.

I don't usually take pictures mid construction but the Barzam looks ridiculous without arms.

It's got these hover treads/stabilizers/I don't know. They fold out and look neat?

Compared with the HG Barzam. Man, Zeta Gundam had some funky designs. It makes the goofy Zeon stuff from MSG look reasonable at times.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

bowmore posted:

What do ya'll do with your models after you build them if you don't have space to store or display them?

I have a shelf in a linen closet that has... *goes to count* about 40 models standing in it. Then I have a few boxes with several models in each. I've sold a few. But I think there's around 100 here?

I have 20 on display on wall hangers.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

bowmore posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqhfAamgPiw

primaltrash fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Aug 23, 2023

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

bowmore posted:

If I enjoyed making them and may want to display them in the future; cardboard box with bubble-wrap. If I don't particularly care for them try to give them away.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

bowmore posted:

I go to an overpass and throw them at cars

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Nuebot posted:

I had to look it up, but it is like twenty meters taller than the psycho gundam, go figure.

And still half the size of the Neo Zeong.

Mass produce the Big Zam, Bandai.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Pierson posted:

If I enjoyed making them and may want to display them in the future; cardboard box with bubble-wrap. If I don't particularly care for them try to give them away.

on the subject of cardboard boxes: what do you people do with yours? Do most people just bin them?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I flatten them/keep the front and toss them in a binder with the instructions.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!

Nuebot posted:

on the subject of cardboard boxes: what do you people do with yours? Do most people just bin them?

I kept them for a while but eventually just started binning them. I keep the instructions in a folder just to keep up with what I've already done or not. My wife does custom framing and I've considered having her shadowbox some of my favorites with the instructions, but even with employee discounts that shits expensive.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

I keep the biggest box for storing instructions and spare parts and bin the rest.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!
The ones with pretty art I break the top down and then fold/tape them so there's about an inch of depth (like a canvas sort of) and hang them on the wall.
The rest get binned.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah, I keep the box art inside one of my larger boxes, instruction manuals inside another box, a third box full of polycaps and spare parts in baggies and then the rest either get broken down or used for storage of models I'm not currently fiddling with.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
I also compulsively horde leftover parts. One day I will be able to assemble the ultimate weapon, Gundam Hand-part.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

bowmore posted:

Carefully tuck them into their box with a little kiss and then stash it somewhere nice and quiet

Dreqqus posted:

I also compulsively horde leftover parts. One day I will be able to assemble the ultimate weapon, Gundam Hand-part.
:hmmyes:

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I flatten and keep the box art in a stack, box bottom gets thrown out.

accessories / extra bits / leftover stickers / manual goes in a gallon ziplock and in a storage bin.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

I make a pile in the middle of my crafting room that I then lay on-top of like Smaug resting on his dwarven gold.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Dreqqus posted:

I've had kits saved by hoarding leftover parts in the past! Granted that was mostly polycaps, but still.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

BisbyWorl posted:

I keep the biggest box for storing instructions and spare parts and bin the rest.

I use the box from my Mega Size Gundam to store my instructions, spare parts, folded box lids, and all my modeling tools and supplies.

Edit: if I had a Neo Zeong I could keep my shop compressor in there too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Cat Hatter posted:

I use the box from my Mega Size Gundam to store my instructions, spare parts, folded box lids, and all my modeling tools and supplies.

Edit: if I had a Neo Zeong I could keep my shop compressor in there too.

This is probably my favorite "Neo Zeong is Big" post.