Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

hatty posted:

There has never been a good computer

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_(occupation)

:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
My family's first Gateway in like '98 was a pretty good computer. It ran Myst great and could render webpages as fast as needed for rural dialup.

Wheres Wallace
May 5, 2009

:) keep on keepin' on :)
13" 5K m3 macbook pro w/ touchbar

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
So I bought the worst Macbook (M1 2020 Pro with touchbar) 2nd hand and the backspace key is mushy and soft. Do these have any recalls that I could abuse (I've done it with Intel Pro at work, Apple got me a new top case over the holidays for some keys missing paint and occasional doubling on the A key) or is this something I could fix myself?

I never had any issues with the hated previous gen (2015-2018) keyboards other than the work laptop.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

If it were me and I was at my wits end I'd try to pry up the space bar and see if there isn't an accumulation of debris (Cheetos, skin, foodly matter) under there and clear it out.

Maybe a good strong blast of canned air might also do it.

As far as Apple is concerned their keyboards became perfect again after 2019 and the intro of the M-series so you're not gonna get any action from them unless there's AppleCare on that machine.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah I feel like I shouldn't complain about any aspect of the current keyboard for fear that they start Iving it up again and it'll be all my fault.

But it's real weird how the backlight catches tiny flecks of dust stuck around the edges of the keys and lights them up like spotlights. Like little light pipes under every corner of every key. Sometimes it's dust, other times it's just seeing the actual backlight under the key edge in a single spot because of how the imperfections of the key edges sit. It makes me have to obsessively pick out every tiny speck that gets caught in there because otherwise it drives me crazy from a purely aesthetic sense. But it also vividly illustrates just how gunky all previous keyboards were getting, I just didn't have an obvious way to see it.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Data Graham posted:

Yeah I feel like I shouldn't complain about any aspect of the current keyboard for fear that they start Iving it up again and it'll be all my fault.

But it's real weird how the backlight catches tiny flecks of dust stuck around the edges of the keys and lights them up like spotlights. Like little light pipes under every corner of every key. Sometimes it's dust, other times it's just seeing the actual backlight under the key edge in a single spot because of how the imperfections of the key edges sit. It makes me have to obsessively pick out every tiny speck that gets caught in there because otherwise it drives me crazy from a purely aesthetic sense. But it also vividly illustrates just how gunky all previous keyboards were getting, I just didn't have an obvious way to see it.

That happens but it is only noticeable from some angles. If you stand the laptop up like this /\ and then blow some compressed air at the keyboard you'll get most of it out. While you've got the laptop up like that, you can give the base of it a few strong pats like yer burpin' a baby. You'll be surprised how much you'll get out. You just need to get lucky and dislodge the right glob of nerd juice and then you might be in the clear.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://www.macrumors.com/2023/08/21/samsung-viewfinity-s9-5k-display-pre-orders/

quote:

The ViewFinity S9 is priced at $1,599.99, essentially the same as the ‌Apple Studio Display

:negative:

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I mean, on one hand, Samsung runs pretty good discounts regularly, so at some point within the next year, I’d not be surprised to see it at least 50% off.

At the same time, gently caress that initial price.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

SourKraut posted:

I mean, on one hand, Samsung runs pretty good discounts regularly, so at some point within the next year, I’d not be surprised to see it at least 50% off.

At least it comes with an adjustable stand!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

SourKraut posted:

if it's anything like the M7 and M8, both of which are now represented more than once across my extended family, it'll go on sale a ton and also get regular hardware updates (so expect the ones from 2025 or 2026 to be different from the initial 2024 ones) and probably end up priced lower in general than this as well

at the end of the day, they have enough leverage to keep prices high in the sense that they're pretty much the only game in town if you want to hook up your Mac and also a PC

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

BonoMan posted:

At least it comes with an adjustable stand!

This is true!

Ok Comboomer posted:

if it's anything like the M7 and M8, both of which are now represented more than once across my extended family, it'll go on sale a ton and also get regular hardware updates (so expect the ones from 2025 or 2026 to be different from the initial 2024 ones) and probably end up priced lower in general than this as well

at the end of the day, they have enough leverage to keep prices high in the sense that they're pretty much the only game in town if you want to hook up your Mac and also a PC

Yeah, I hope they do improve it, and maybe continue to update it/expand it into related area, such as higher refresh or mini-LED backlighting, etc.

I just wouldn’t probably buy one for awhile, even if it were on sale for a good amount.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/_orangera1n/status/1693133717449936936

Oh wow Apple gonna release the M5 someday

hope it works out better than this M5 did

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Binary Badger posted:

hope it works out better than this M5 did

Is this loss

Yes I know it's a TOS reference

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Makes me wonder why they're skipping the M4.. didn't murder enough people during beta testing?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

That’s a good point; for some reason I assumed we’d already seen reference to the M4 and now it was just M5, but I guess not?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
The M4A1 is going to take the world by storm. Everyone's going to use it, it'll be the new standard for computers going forward.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Binary Badger posted:

Makes me wonder why they're skipping the M4.. didn't murder enough people during beta testing?

They're not skipping, it would be pretty normal for them to have multiple generations in the design pipeline at a time.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

BobHoward posted:

They're not skipping, it would be pretty normal for them to have multiple generations in the design pipeline at a time.

yeah there supposedly were benchmarks and test results of early M3 leaked from a presentation back during the M1 launch days

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

If they skipped, it would put a crimp in my “M4 Cube” plans. :mad:

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Probably a new watch SOC.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Hey shout out to everyone who suggested the MX master 3s. This is the most luxurious mouse I've ever used. Even the scroll wheel feels real nice. I think I'm going to go ahead and sell the Magic Trackpad. I'd set up the trackpad to the other side of my keyboard thinking I'd use both, but it's so easy and comfortable to use this mouse I don't even feel the need to use gestures when I'm at my desktop, and I barely touch the trackpad now.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Hell yeah the MX Master series is so good. I had two 2S, one for home and one for travel, and replaced the batteries I loved them so much. I’ve heard great things about the upright one, too, for fellow ergonomics weirdos.

I swapped for a CADmouse and Spacemouse combo because I got a wicked deal for them through work. I only miss it a little bit.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I miss expose gestures and my custom three finger swiping for opening/closing/navigating between tabs in my browser/finder/pages (with BetterTouchTool) when I'm using an external mouse and keyboard at my desk with MacBook Pro.

I have an MX Master 3 as well and really like Mac Mouse Fixer for smoother scrolling and reversing scrolling for the scrollwheel without having to run Logitech's background process.

I'm sure somebody has figured out a way to mimic the gestures I miss on the MX Master 3 in some way. I should look into that.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 22, 2023

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
One benefit of the surveillance state, because of this thread I was looking at an MX 3S. Googling price history and reviews and comparisons, even put one in my cart on Amazon. Then I get an email from Logitech with a 20% off coupon code. Don’t mind if I do.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Anyone know how much this would have cost new from Apple?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Probably 6k if it were on the refurb store.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Yeah, that Vega 64 with the 16 GB of HBM VRAM was pretty much the high end option..

That was probably the biggest, fastest GPU the Intel Macs would get until the Vega II Duo with 64 GB option in the last Intel Mac Pro 2019..

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

American McGay posted:

Probably 6k if it were on the refurb store.

How much new? $10k?

Edit:

Based on this: https://www.tomsguide.com/us/apple-imac-pro,review-5304.html

$5000 base
$2400 18 core
$2400 128gb ram
$800 2T
$600 Vega64

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Aug 23, 2023

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I dunno what prices were new in 2017 but that's omega maxed so probably like 12 or something.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Do maxed out pro desktops(iMac, Mac) even show up in the refurb store?

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Aug 23, 2023

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Shaocaholica posted:

Do maxed out pro desktops even show up in the refurb store?

They did pre-WWDC 2023, but I don't think I've seen them posted much, if at all, since.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Corb3t posted:

I miss expose gestures and my custom three finger swiping for opening/closing/navigating between tabs in my browser/finder/pages (with BetterTouchTool) when I'm using an external mouse and keyboard at my desk with MacBook Pro.

I have an MX Master 3 as well and really like Mac Mouse Fixer for smoother scrolling and reversing scrolling for the scrollwheel without having to run Logitech's background process.

I'm sure somebody has figured out a way to mimic the gestures I miss on the MX Master 3 in some way. I should look into that.

The Logitech software lets you set gesture equivalents across all the buttons on a per app basis. So when I'm in safari, the side scroll wheel hops between tabs, but in office programs it zooms in and out. You can also set lots of gestures on that weird thumb button - so you hold it down and drag to replicate gestures - which the Logi software also lets you do on a per app basis. But I find the thumb thing really awkward to use tbh. Maybe my thumbs are too long.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
27-inch imac might have third party ram too depending which would affect og cost. still $$$

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Pro doesn’t have the same user replaceable sockets that the other 27” Intels had.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
The eBay one had 256GB ram which wasn’t a config apple offered so probably all new 3rd party sticks.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Your screenshot says 128.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

American McGay posted:

Your screenshot says 128.

Whoops I got confused with another listing with 256G

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

American McGay posted:

Pro doesn’t have the same user replaceable sockets that the other 27” Intels had.

god drat, i didn’t realize that. lol. that was one pricey mofo then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
The memory on the iMac Pro is upgradable it’s just not as easily accessed as the non pro iMac.