Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Cities is ostensibly an army composed of all the mixed up descendants of the survivors of the Kirbypocalyose, and it feels weird they want to you play single-species armies. Synergies and combined-arms play is also cooler than "did you pick the nice new human models? Good, now your army is playable. No? Well, try again."

It's a little openly mercenary, and a little like they realized they made a good Cities army already, but they hosed up and put "Skaven" on the cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

JBP posted:

I don't understand what you mean by separation of the races? It seems cool to me.

Return fire seems like it will function as a "don't shoot this unit" ability that armies will need to play around. Sucks for KO I guess but they'll just have to dedicate all the guns to wiping out the target, as usual.

I think they mean that Cities units have traditionally been segregated by species, and continue to be - you have Elf Orders for Elf heroes that apply to Elf units, and Human Orders for Human heroes that apply to Human units, etc.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

JBP posted:

I don't understand what you mean by separation of the races? It seems cool to me.

Cities of Sigmar – Orders Help Mortals Stand Fast Against Gods and Daemons posted:

There are two universal orders, three orders that apply exclusively to HUMAN units, and two orders each for AELF and DUARDIN units, opening up a host of tactical options for armies using these troops.

The orders are broken up by what race the unit is, which seems counter to the Cities of Sigmar aesthetic of all the different races living and working together.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
In some ways yeah, but I think it gives them a little more design space to play around in. Like Return Fire would be more powerful if elves could use it because of their stronger shooting.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Honestly seems like it might be an improvement from the weird subfaction-locked synergies of the old tome.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

In some ways yeah, but I think it gives them a little more design space to play around in. Like Return Fire would be more powerful if elves could use it because of their stronger shooting.

What elf shooting - all they have is darkshards. Same applies to dorfs since irondrakes are kinda bad now

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Honestly seems like it might be an improvement from the weird subfaction-locked synergies of the old tome.

Or they could have just dumped subfactions and make all the same rules and traits apply to everyone so I can "form shieldwall" with steelhelms or "suppressing fire" with darkshards. Would that be strong - probably. Also since we are walling of races we are kinda in a situation where elfs have 3 playable units, dorfs have 2 and humans have like 5-6 and neither of those factions synergize with one another

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
They should of committed with CoS and made the new sculpts contain a variety of fantasy races

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus

Vagabong posted:

They should of committed with CoS and made the new sculpts contain a variety of fantasy races

This would’ve been cool. Very discworld, the odd elf or dwarf Steelhelm mixed in with the humans, or a dwarf fusilier taking measurements.

It’s wild that the Cogsmith, whose background is all about working with artillery, has no synergy or benefit to working with the cannon, because of this race-locked approach.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Covermeinsunshine posted:

What elf shooting - all they have is darkshards. Same applies to dorfs since irondrakes are kinda bad now

Right, forgot about the culling last month

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
CoS they kind of wrote themselves in a corner. There are multiple all elf and all dwarf factions but no all human faction, so they want to let people have an all human army. At the same time a lot of people like CoS for the multiracial aspect of it so they want to provide ways to have those other races but keep them distinct. I think having mixed race units would be cool but I can see why it would also annoy some people so whatever they do someone won't like it.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

they did also drop the coalition so no more running sylvaneth, sce, lumineth or ko as part of the cities instead of allies. So yeah as someone who loves soup this book is no go for me

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I really hope that new AoS Warhammer+ model isn't yet another Vampire Lord. They're like the AoS version of Primaris Lieutenants at this point.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/08/17/get-to-know-tahlia-vedra-the-blazing-heart-of-the-dawnbringer-crusades/

More lore, this time about Tahlia Vedra and her companion, and a smidgen of rules. As a treat.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Not a fan of ridden monsters having thrones instead of saddles, but it's a nice model otherwise

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

they did also drop the coalition so no more running sylvaneth, sce, lumineth or ko as part of the cities instead of allies. So yeah as someone who loves soup this book is no go for me
Agreed, that's exactly what's holding me back from getting all in with Cities.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
They don't even have stormkeeps anymore huh?

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

smug jeebus posted:

Not a fan of ridden monsters having thrones instead of saddles, but it's a nice model otherwise

Hey man, gotta make that Manticore tail even more 'wait, how does that actually work?...'

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

neaden posted:

CoS they kind of wrote themselves in a corner. There are multiple all elf and all dwarf factions but no all human faction, so they want to let people have an all human army. At the same time a lot of people like CoS for the multiracial aspect of it so they want to provide ways to have those other races but keep them distinct. I think having mixed race units would be cool but I can see why it would also annoy some people so whatever they do someone won't like it.

Especially given how limited some of the other races' factions are. Fyreslayers almost feel like half an army at this point, and their Battletome, IMO, is feeling its age in an era of SBGL and Seraphon, especially given the current season as well. CoS is a cool concept, I'm not making GBS threads on anything; the notion of a "United Peoples" faction as a brief, flickering of light against the darkness that Chaos has let run rampant is compelling, but I agree that it still feels segregated amongst the races.

Sounds like they're trying to please everyone, and I agree that they should have just souped the lot, and mixed races in all the ranks. It would visually show that unity of peoples gathering to defend what little civilization is left.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Robert Facepalmer posted:

Hey man, gotta make that Manticore tail even more 'wait, how does that actually work?...'

Very poorly, that's why she has a foot thick piece of wood at her back.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Der Waffle Mous posted:

They don't even have stormkeeps anymore huh?

Not in cos no. They are still in sce book and they blow donkey but right now I can imagine allying in gyrocopter because they are nothing but they are 80 points of fast nothing and I can score lovely battle tactics of their back (but this is mostly copeium)

Feeple posted:

Especially given how limited some of the other races' factions are. Fyreslayers almost feel like half an army at this point, and their Battletome, IMO, is feeling its age in an era of SBGL and Seraphon, especially given the current season as well. CoS is a cool concept, I'm not making GBS threads on anything; the notion of a "United Peoples" faction as a brief, flickering of light against the darkness that Chaos has let run rampant is compelling, but I agree that it still feels segregated amongst the races.

Sounds like they're trying to please everyone, and I agree that they should have just souped the lot, and mixed races in all the ranks. It would visually show that unity of peoples gathering to defend what little civilization is left.

Its kinda weird as you read aos rpg game that is written largly with 2ed fluff in mind and then 3rd edition book comes and kinda doeas nothing with the idea of "different apes together strong"

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/08/18/cities-of-sigmar-keep-the-rabble-in-line-with-a-rogues-gallery-of-reliable-heroes

More CoS rules, this time for the various heroes you can use in your command retinue.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Please god bring USRs to AoS, if I have to read "this unit has silly strong, whilst it has silly strong it has <insert incredibly common game effect here>" one more time I'm going to eat my deepkin battletome without ketchup

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com...guild-cavaliers

I'm on a horse.

Also that's an interesting design choice on how to assemble a horse.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Cooked Auto posted:

I'm on a horse.

Wow, they're making it really hard to resist...

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Cooked Auto posted:

I'm on a horse.

I like it better than a vertical split, looks like the model will cover the join area with armor and whatnot making it easier to prep.

Edit: Disregard, I didn't click through and see that the horse is indeed still split vertically.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
It looks like a nice solution for allowing unique rider poses while bring able to mix and match rider and horse

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/08/20/sunday-preview-carve-out-a-new-realm-for-humanity-with-the-cities-of-sigmar/

Cities of Sigmar Army set goes up for pre-order next weekend, as well as the new Seraphon Vanguard.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Hello, putting together some Lumineth but I haven't played AoS in a few years. Is there a strong reason I shouldn't build the pike and bowmen as reinforced units?

E: Thanks Rattus!

smug jeebus fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Aug 20, 2023

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Not really! You should be fine! The bowmen especially are kind of the key unit of making everyone else hate you, though somewhat less so now.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/08/20/sunday-preview-carve-out-a-new-realm-for-humanity-with-the-cities-of-sigmar/

Cities of Sigmar Army set goes up for pre-order next weekend, as well as the new Seraphon Vanguard.

Finally!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/08/21/a-hulking-new-orruk-boss-leads-the-charge-into-the-nova-open-previews/

Someone did an oopsie and pressed the post button too early on everyone except WarCom.

Also, NOVA Open reveal stream on the 30th.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
I like everything on that Ork except the mask. The horn-beard is a big swing and miss for me…

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
It's reminiscent of the classic Chaos Terminator tusks if I don't look too closely at the mask so I suppose it works for me. I'm more a night goblins and trolls man though.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

"There will be a reckoning... Excelcis... is yours."

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

It's reminiscent of the classic Chaos Terminator tusks if I don't look too closely at the mask so I suppose it works for me. I'm more a night goblins and trolls man though.

It looks like the old Black Orc masks because that’s what Ironjawz are.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

New Realms of Ruin trailer, now with ghosts :ghost:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5qzSjk8CYw

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

So my bet on Blades of Khorne as 4th faction

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

So my bet on Blades of Khorne as 4th faction

I'm hoping for Skaven but I could see blades or just generic Slaves to Darkness easily enough. I'll be down for almost whatever as long as they hit each of the big four once before doubling up.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
There was a leaked image of an Ogroid Thaumaturge so I am betting Tzeentch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

MonsterEnvy posted:

There was a leaked image of an Ogroid Thaumaturge so I am betting Tzeentch.

Maybe it's an angroid