Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I’ve got said QCK 3XL mouse surface and I’ve been unable to clean the drat thing out fully (still has a full white haze everywhere around some spots) despite putting into dish washer, clothes washer, shower, etc. it’s like it’s holding onto all the soap. But to its credit despite all those wash attemptsit’s still holding up quite well. And I’m someone that generally doesn’t have goon goo all over his mice and have only had one mouse do any odd clicking behavior, which was my G900. The G502X is quite nice at least although I use gaming mice for primarily office / productivity purposes. poo poo’s intense in my terminal editors and intense competitive web browsing through hundreds of tabs I don’t ever want to close for reasons I can’t begin to fathom through therapy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

necrobobsledder posted:

The G502X is quite nice at least although I use gaming mice for primarily office / productivity purposes. poo poo’s intense in my terminal editors and intense competitive web browsing through hundreds of tabs I don’t ever want to close for reasons I can’t begin to fathom through therapy.

TBQH I get more use from my extra mouse buttons in productivity than I do in video games. The day I came up with binding one mouse button to a smart alt-tab and another to cycle through virtual desktops changed my life.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
I only ever cared for a bunch of buttons for games when I played MMOs, yeah. Most games I even consider are built around controllers, a qwerty keyboard + a 5 button mouse (3 + scroll wheel that is). Having to reinstall customizations when I flatten and reinstall an OS entirely for games is why I stopped bothering with gaming given the effort wasn't worth it for my minimal whims to play something.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Klyith posted:

TBQH I get more use from my extra mouse buttons in productivity than I do in video games. The day I came up with binding one mouse button to a smart alt-tab and another to cycle through virtual desktops changed my life.

Yeah, I like having a mouse with the "DPI" button by the scroll wheel, and I always rebind it to WinKey + Tab. I think a previous mouse I used had that bind as default (maybe via a 2nd button by the scroll wheel), and I found it incredibly useful (while gaming as well), so I've tried to keep that functionality ever since then. That was one of the things I was looking for on a new one, and I'd say half of the wireless mice I looked at no longer have those buttons at all.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCTaLkz2Oq0

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

a glass pad intrigues me but i've heard universal negativity in reviews i've seen of it in terms of one tiny hair loving everything up, having to constantly clean your sweat, having to wear a sleeve so your skin flab doesn't stick, flicks being harder, etc.

i guess you don't know until you try it but it's expensive as heck!

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

comedyblissoption posted:

a glass pad intrigues me but i've heard universal negativity in reviews i've seen of it in terms of one tiny hair loving everything up, having to constantly clean your sweat, having to wear a sleeve so your skin flab doesn't stick, flicks being harder, etc.

i guess you don't know until you try it but it's expensive as heck!

It's one of those things you're either gonna love or hate, have you ever been the type to use your desk instead of a mouse pad? if so the glass pad may be for you, I hate them because of the whole noticing every tiny little particle thing, I'm already annoyed by that stuff on a cloth pad.

necrobobsledder posted:

I’ve got said QCK 3XL mouse surface and I’ve been unable to clean the drat thing out fully (still has a full white haze everywhere around some spots) despite putting into dish washer, clothes washer, shower, etc. it’s like it’s holding onto all the soap. But to its credit despite all those wash attemptsit’s still holding up quite well.

This is my exact experience with every qck I've owned over the last 8 years, I was a bit puzzled by everyone saying how easy they were to clean ITT but I wasn't really trying to argue.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jul 11, 2023

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost

runaway dog posted:

It's one of those things you're either gonna love or hate, have you ever been the type to use your desk instead of a mouse pad? if so the glass pad may be for you, I hate them because of the whole noticing every tiny little particle thing, I'm already annoyed by that stuff on a cloth pad.
I used my desk for my mouse typically because it was easier to wipe off all the dust and goon dust off of a flat, hard surface like a desk than any type of cloth. Double so because I've got cats and cat fur will make its way any and everywhere no matter how much you brush them.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Klyith posted:

This is a persistent design flaw with current wireless Logitech mice (except the G502X, which uses optical switches).

I will never buy a mouse with micrswitches in it again, how is everyone not talking about how bad this is? I want to replace my mouse entirely.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
We are always talking about it. Actually, you will buy a mouse with microswitches in it again, because literally all mice have them. Even mice with optical switches have conventional switches for things like the wheel click and side buttons.

If it's happening again, try picking it up and smacking it on various sides to potentially get it working again. If that fails, it's either soldering a new switch or replacing the mouse.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 14, 2023

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

K8.0 posted:

If it's happening again, try picking it up and smacking it on various sides to potentially get it working again. If that fails, it's either soldering a new switch or replacing the mouse.

I took the mouse apart, took the microswitch covers off, and blew them out directly with compressed air. That has fixed it again for now.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Roccat Kone Air has arrived. Some initial observations:

- Bare-bones packaging. Loose plastic wrap on the mouse, cardboard (the super cheap kind) cradle. I guess that's not really surprising. My last few Logitech mice were similar. Better cardboard on those, though.
- No diagrams in battery compartment for battery orientation. I suppose it's common knowledge that the negative ends go on the springy bits, but I nonetheless had to consult the manual to be sure (yes it comes with a paper manual).
- Feels pretty cheap. Very light before I put batteries in it.
- Bigger mouse than the G305, which was on the small side. Longer and slightly girthier (:haw:). I use palm grip mostly, and there's nearly an inch of space between the tip of my index finger and the edge of the button. It's a pretty chonky boi. I think it's comfortable to hold, so far.
- Slightly different-feeling clicks on L/R compared to previous mice. Is that because of the optical switches? It doesn't bother me.
- Has a 3rd thumb button, on the bottom of the mouse. I use the bottom edge of my thumb to activate it. More about that below.
- No issues with installation. I'm using a USB extender from like, 3 mice ago. Plugged the receiver into that and it worked right away in 2.4ghz mode (it also does Bluetooth, but my PC doesn't have on-board BT, and I don't like BT for input methods anyway).
- Windows thinks the mouse is a keyboard device? Guess that's due to the extra buttons.
- Swarm. That's Roccat's version of G-Hub. After the initial install, it had to update itself. I think it also updated the mouse's firmware? One possible issue right off the bat is that I cannot rebind the DPI button. As I mentioned before, I don't need to switch DPI on the fly, so historically I've made that a WinKey + Tab shortcut. Anyway, every other button on the thing can be rebound except DPI. There's no little arrow next to it to select a new function, and clicking on its entry does nothing. Welp. I can, however, rebind the 3rd thumb button. Swarm calls that "Easy-Shift[+]™" and by default, holding it down plus another mouse button is used for multimedia controls. I already have dedicated keys for that on my KB, so looks like this will be my new Win+Tab button. Now I'll just have to train myself to use it. I wonder why Roccat made the DPI switch unconfigurable? I noticed in their documentation that it's used for BT pairing (by holding it down), maybe that's the reason.
- As some mild comfort for the thing above, the DPI button is much lower relative to the scroll wheel than I'm used to. So it'd be awkward to use it anyway.
- Swarm seems a little buggy. There's a tab for pinned settings, and I had a really hard time putting stuff in there. Here's hoping it keeps my config after reboots, at least. Apparently it automatically writes changes to the on-board profile? Shutting down the software seems to keep my preferences intact. That's already an improvement over G-Hub, which I had to have on at all times.
- Some reddit posts I saw indicated that the Kone Air (and the Pro version) have had some issues with the scroll wheel in the past. I remember having to replace a Logitech mouse because of that, years ago. We'll see how it goes.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ofecks posted:

- Feels pretty cheap. Very light before I put batteries in it.

Lightweight mice are all the rage now, everyone is trying to strip a few extra grams of plastic from their mice. Until this fad dies down mice are gonna feel cheap.

Ofecks posted:

- Slightly different-feeling clicks on L/R compared to previous mice. Is that because of the optical switches? It doesn't bother me.

Could be the optical switches -- iirc less physical consistency has been noted about them, because the internal mechanism is more complicated than normal switches and the bit that makes it clicky is kinda just there to be clicky.

Or it could just be the mouse, if the plastic on L & R has different weights or cheap springs. (For ex my G700's L & R have a difference in both feel & especially sound, because the plastic shell buttons are quite different.)

Ofecks posted:

- Windows thinks the mouse is a keyboard device? Guess that's due to the extra buttons.

That is normal for mice with rebindable buttons. There will also be a regular mouse device.

Ofecks posted:

- Swarm seems a little buggy.
One possible issue right off the bat is that I cannot rebind the DPI button.

All mouse software sucks hardcore, people complain about ghub but it gets worse. But I think you can set it up with swarm and then quit/uninstall the app, the kone has on-board memory.

Possibly try setting it to only have one DPI level? Also try setting stuff with the mouse plugged in (or vice versa if that's what you were doing.)

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

logitech OMM is fantastic and what all mice software should aspire to be

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Klyith posted:

All mouse software sucks hardcore, people complain about ghub but it gets worse. But I think you can set it up with swarm and then quit/uninstall the app, the kone has on-board memory.

For sure, I have a Kone Pro configured with customizations and move the mouse between multiple PCs (most of which have never had Swarm installed on them) and it keeps the settings just fine.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Klyith posted:

That is normal for mice with rebindable buttons. There will also be a regular mouse device.

That's not the case in control panel -> devices and printers (two KBs only), but it's there in Device Manager. :shrug: Whatever, as long as it works.

Klyith posted:

Confirmed success at keeping its config after reboot. I turned off auto-start on Swarm and it seems to be fine. I won't uninstall it in case I need it for something, but I won't be running it normally. That's a relief.

The on-board memory of my last three Logitech mice corrupted immediately and nothing would stick, forcing me to run G-Hub at all times. Plus having to wait on reboot until G-Hub activates to set my DPI. It wasn't a long wait (maybe 15 seconds tops?), just annoying.

Klyith posted:

Possibly try setting it to only have one DPI level? Also try setting stuff with the mouse plugged in (or vice versa if that's what you were doing.)

You can't. There are 5 DPI settings in Swarm and there's no way to add or remove more levels. I set them all to my preferred level but the button still isn't rebindable. I think this'll be ok, the DPI button isn't very easy to use anyway.

The Kone Air doesn't plug into anything. It's AA batteries only, connected via either 2.4ghz receiver or BT. Kone Air Pro might be different, I have the non-pro version.

comedyblissoption posted:

logitech OMM is fantastic and what all mice software should aspire to be

I remember trying this on my previous mice and it still wouldn't work. G-Hub just straight broke my poo poo.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Got the Viper V2 since my old mouse finally disintegrated. The build quality seems much better than the old generation of Viper at least. The buttons feel much stiffer but it's probably because I'm so used to my old Viper that was worn out as poo poo

Edit: it's nice that the side buttons are actually usable this time around

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 27, 2023

adeadcrab
Feb 1, 2006

Objectifying women is cool and normal

adeadcrab posted:

can't beat a leather mousepad (https://www.ableather.com.au/collections/corporate-range/products/premium-leather-mouse-pad)

just don't condition it with any product containing beeswax - the friction of the mouse over time makes the wax come to the surface and reduce friction. Don't condition it at all in fact.

Reposting for mousepad chat - this plus the zowie mouse is a slick gaming experience. No bloatware necessary either.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Profile management in G HUB was meticulously engineered to be as unintuitive and cumbersome to use as humanly possible.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Btw, you can copy mouse profiles across apps. You need to select the app profile you're copying, and drag and drop it onto the app you're copying to.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I'm back, with a usage report. I kind of forgot when the one-year anniversary of my Roccat came and went. It was nice, not having to think about the switches dying, for once.

I only looked up how long it had been and realized it had been 18 months, when the Kailh red switches I soldered into replace the original Omrons in my vintage MX518 started failing. Again. So I'm done with those guys, old vintage MX518 is going in the recycle, for good.

I am basically done with Omron switches for mice. Long live the optical switches in my Roccats, I have purchased another one.

18 months without a hiccup, and they have discontinued my old Burst Core, but the Burst Pro is now down to the same price I paid for the Burst Core a year and a half ago.

That's been my report.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

I haven't been using it long (a month, maybe?) but all is well with my Roccat too.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I'll also do a trip report, on my G502X Lightspeed after 4 month trip report: love it, no complaints. Battery life is good, performance is good, ergonomics good. I never had a double click issue with my G502 Spectrum though.

Maybe the best thing is I got it in white since it was on sale for $112 and the black was not. It's a nice contrast to my black keyboard/mouse mat. Along with my white case and desk surface, it has softened what was otherwise a visual black hole of black computer stuff in the corner of my bedroom.

The white version is currently on super sale, $80 on Amazon. I haven't had any discoloration and I eat at my desk constantly though I don't use my mouse with grubby cheeto hands: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B092CDD7HH/

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I'm back, with a usage report. I kind of forgot when the one-year anniversary of my Roccat came and went. It was nice, not having to think about the switches dying, for once.

I only looked up how long it had been and realized it had been 18 months, when the Kailh red switches I soldered into replace the original Omrons in my vintage MX518 started failing. Again. So I'm done with those guys, old vintage MX518 is going in the recycle, for good.

I am basically done with Omron switches for mice. Long live the optical switches in my Roccats, I have purchased another one.

18 months without a hiccup, and they have discontinued my old Burst Core, but the Burst Pro is now down to the same price I paid for the Burst Core a year and a half ago.

That's been my report.

Ofecks posted:

I haven't been using it long (a month, maybe?) but all is well with my Roccat too.

Yeah I’ve had by Kone Pro since March(?) of 2022 and haven’t had any issues with it so far. I know some people have mentioned problems manifesting with the scroll wheel getting gummed up, but haven’t had those either (yet).

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

do people still use wired gaming mice?
my old g502 is giving up the ghost due to battery issues and am half thinking of getting the wired version so i don't have to charge

would a wired mouse with a bungee feel "unencumbered"?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

shrike82 posted:

my old g502 is giving up the ghost due to battery issues and am half thinking of getting the wired version so i don't have to charge

You should look into the G502X which I upgraded to from a G502. Main improvement is optical switches plus the usual sensor upgrade. It’s available in wired and wireless but I think wireless is definitely worth it.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

shrike82 posted:

If you're on a tight budget wired is significantly cheaper for similar weight and performance.

If you're not, wireless is here now unless you really love some shape that has no wireless version.

The new wireless mice last a long time without charging and charge pretty fast. It's easy to plug them in right before you get off the computer once or twice a week if you use the computer 12+ hours per day or once every few weeks if you use it less.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I use my G502X a lot since I work from home and it lasts about 1 month before getting to 20% with moderate gaming use.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

shrike82 posted:

no

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

shrike82 posted:

I have two mice for two separate computers on the same desk. One is a G502 X. One is a G502 Wired. The weight is not the exact same, but they don't feel any less encumbered then each other. It seems like encumbered-ness is a property of having a cord pulled tight with no slack - to that end, a bungee probably is fine.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the cable flopping around becomes more noticeable as you move to lighter mice

the G502 is on the heftier side at 121g, newer gaming models are down to half that or less

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Wait what mice are 60g or less, that seems like it'd be more comfortable to use

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

viper v2 pro is 58g, deathadder v3 is 59g, both have optical switches

logitechs pro x superlight is 63g but it still uses failure prone mechanical switches so it's hard to recommend unless you find it on deep discount

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Sweet, my only issue is I prefer mice with thumb rests

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

My G900 has been getting pretty bad with a mushy scroll wheel and LMB double clicking lately so I opened it up for the first time since I got it in 2016. I think I pulled out enough dust and crumbs to make a real mouse. I don't have any microswitches on hand so I swapped the left and right switches, but I think blasting the whole thing with electrical contact cleaner fixed it since the faulty switch is working properly for the time being.

I got the original anti-friction pads back on as best I could, but I'd like to stock up on new ones if these ones start to come off or if I need to do another disassembly. What's a decent, cheap supplier that's located in/ships to Canada inexpensively? I've got a Logitech G900 and a couple first gen Anywhere MX mice that could benefit from replacements.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

shrike82 posted:

I have a steelseries prime with a bungee and I think it’s fine

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I know some people have mentioned problems manifesting with the scroll wheel getting gummed up, but haven’t had those either (yet).

Unfortunately looks like mine is finally beyond the point I can repair with this issue. Two and a quarter years of endurance overall, which... isn't great imo. Guess it's back to the search for something to actually feel like my old Corsair mouse (nicest mouse I ever owned) instead of this.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

ended up getting the glorious model i 2 after looking for a light mouse with a thumbrest
kinda crazy how much lighter it feels than my G502 even if it's "only" a 25g difference

Termyie
Aug 18, 2022

Always choose violence.

shrike82 posted:

I was using wireless mice for the last few years and I recently went back to Wired mice with the Steelseries Prime Neo Noir. As much as people enjoy using wireless mice, I personally found that all companies inflate battery life which was annoying. I never got close to the advertised battery life on any mouse but the G-Pro Superlight, but once it start to double click due to the Omron switches, it became a 200 dollar paper weight. Steelseries' wireless has a 2-3 second delay to wake up. Razer's optical switches are decent, but the prices of their wireless offerings keep climbing with each release and their recent releases seem shortsighted from all the progress they made in the last few years. I could have gone down the rabbithole of r/mousereview's obsessive search for niche mouse brands, but I rather just get something I can grab from Amazon or Best Buy.

Not having to worry about RF issues or battery levels was worth going back to a wired mouse. The days of a stiff rubber cable is pretty much gone from the 50 to 100 dollar price range as most major brands have gone to a para-cord like cable that are super flexible. Put that in a mouse bungee and you won't notice the difference from a wireless mouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

when i switched from a [regular cord] wired mouse + bungee to a wireless mouse for the first time, i had phantom cordlimb syndrome for weeks

this issue probably depends on if you ever find yourself swiping a large mousepad regularly