Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Rycalawre posted:

Does distant war apply to the players defensive wars? Im playing as Tunis, have a bunch of allies who all refuse a defensive call to arms from a wardec by Portugal along with their allies Spain and England. Ottomans, France, Bohemia and Switzerland all refuse the defensive call to arms. Ive had a look and I cant figure out why. Ottomans are the ones who are classically thousands of ducats in debt etc so I can see why they wouldnt but I cannot figure out the others. If I were to declare on the AI im certain it would be +100 reasons to join on each of those AIs.
Unless it's been changed distant war doesn't apply to defensive ones. Only to offensive ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm on a world conquest game rn as no-mandate Qing and at about 1660 I've broken the ottomans and Muscovy and all of India with more than the Mongol Empire borders but holy hell I'm struggling with gov cap and my economy is garbo asa result. Any tips?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

CommonShore posted:

I'm on a world conquest game rn as no-mandate Qing and at about 1660 I've broken the ottomans and Muscovy and all of India with more than the Mongol Empire borders but holy hell I'm struggling with gov cap and my economy is garbo asa result. Any tips?

I'd transfer my trade capital in the Novgorod node of you have it locked down, should be infinite money by that point if you took all of Russia's Siberian provinces you can print money with all the fur.

I'd even consider transferring capital itself in Europe so that you can trade company everything to the east.

What's your economy like? Are you stating everything? Did you spam court and state houses?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

canepazzo posted:

I'd transfer my trade capital in the Novgorod node of you have it locked down, should be infinite money by that point if you took all of Russia's Siberian provinces you can print money with all the fur.

I'd even consider transferring capital itself in Europe so that you can trade company everything to the east.

What's your economy like? Are you stating everything? Did you spam court and state houses?

I've spammed court and state houses as far as I can/could afford, but I've left things mostly territorial with creating trade companies here and there where appropriate.

Note when I say "Broken" I don't mean "I own all of the territory" - I mean I've beaten them down and wrecked their nation enough that it's just a cleanup in future wars. In the case of Muscovy, they got gobbled by the Commonwealth and Denmark after I smashed them up the first time.

I'll take some screenshots and put them into the next post in a few minutes because I usually play from a different computer than I post from.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Here we go - I hope an album is fine.

https://imgur.com/a/yQHJ6rq

Yes, my manpower is hosed RN. When I last played I went through a situation where I badly managed a war against Mewar with a new army composition and was suffering more attrition than I realized. I don't know what the hell happened to my trade power - I was making literally double the trade in the 1640s. I just destroyed a ton of forts, but I'm hesitant to get rid of that line of level 2s until I finish off Indochina. I had Lan Na as a vassal and I just annexed them. Oudh is in the process of annexation so I can get the minimum autonomy in territories great project online.

My plan that I've been working towards was to do a few minor wars in the far east and south east (finish off Japan and some Malaysian minors, and maybe Bengal) and then finish off AQ and Ajam in time to beat up the Ottomans again and move my capital to Constantinople once I own enough of Anatolia, or maybe even to a different trade center province in the Constantinople node so I can concentrate dev again for a while (Bejing is at 61 or something silly like that). But this is the greatest percentage of the old world I've ever owned, and I'm starting to get lost.

I was for a while thinking about going Mercenary for one of my late idea groups to get Infinity Manpower once I became super rich, but I never Became Super Rich, so the current plan after Offensive is to do either Quality or Aristocratic (and just go more or less full cav) then Trade, and then maybe drop Influence for Econ or Trade once I finish playing with vassals.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Are you collecting in Persia, or even better, is your capital in the Persia node? You should be making far more than that in trade alone.

You're also currently paying a lot in interest and forts, at this stage you shouldn't need too much of a defensive screen, I don't really see who can compete with you militarily, maybe Spain or GB.

Also, you're at 115% overextension, which reduces your trade power abroad by the same amount, which is why you are not seeing any trade income.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

yeah I can't say for forts because I also tend to run way too many just on a "I cannot be bothered to defend every loving coastline" level, but 42 ducats in trade would be low for just owning china proper, let alone all of the extra land you have on top of that

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

canepazzo posted:

What's crippling about Holy War? Especially with the vassal swarm you should be breezing any war. Otherwise you need Diplo tech 23 for imperialism.

It's not about fighting the war, absolutely no-one can stop me even ignoring my vassal swarm. The problem is that taking provinces, vassalising or feeding vassals is costing a fortune in diplo points. I'm at -900 or something stupid.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

mfcrocker posted:

It's not about fighting the war, absolutely no-one can stop me even ignoring my vassal swarm. The problem is that taking provinces, vassalising or feeding vassals is costing a fortune in diplo points. I'm at -900 or something stupid.

It should not be costing you dip to take provinces nor to give provinces to vassals, though with Holy war, that's weird - I just did a test:

It does cost to return cores or to vassalize, though.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

mfcrocker posted:

With the Deus Vult CB, you pay 0 diplo points for anything you take from the primary war target. You will have to pay for unjustified demands if you take something from their allies though, so do that only sparingly (you can afford a bit, just don't go overboard).

At this point basically everyone who isn't already your subject is a heretic or heathen, so have filled out Religious ideas and make sure you own a province or two here and there that border your next primary enemies. Declare a war, crush them, take 100% war score of provinces. Take them for yourself in the peace deal and then hand them out to your vassals, this lets you use your own admin efficiency to determine war score cost and also saves you from the insanity of assigning each occupation during the war. Give everything to your vassals in long thin strips, except keep (temporarily) a province or two here and there at the front so you border your next targets and get the free CB against them. Rinse and repeat, turn the Old World into a multicoloured ribbon nightmare.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Groke posted:

With the Deus Vult CB, you pay 0 diplo points for anything you take from the primary war target. You will have to pay for unjustified demands if you take something from their allies though, so do that only sparingly (you can afford a bit, just don't go overboard).

At this point basically everyone who isn't already your subject is a heretic or heathen, so have filled out Religious ideas and make sure you own a province or two here and there that border your next primary enemies. Declare a war, crush them, take 100% war score of provinces. Take them for yourself in the peace deal and then hand them out to your vassals, this lets you use your own admin efficiency to determine war score cost and also saves you from the insanity of assigning each occupation during the war. Give everything to your vassals in long thin strips, except keep (temporarily) a province or two here and there at the front so you border your next targets and get the free CB against them. Rinse and repeat, turn the Old World into a multicoloured ribbon nightmare.

Alright this makes sense, I think I've been getting screwed over by co-belligerenting allies and taking their provinces. I tested just taking the primary target's stuff and yeah, no diplo cost.

That's a frustrating loss of time and diplo points that I might not recover from

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

mfcrocker posted:

Alright this makes sense, I think I've been getting screwed over by co-belligerenting allies and taking their provinces. I tested just taking the primary target's stuff and yeah, no diplo cost.

That's a frustrating loss of time and diplo points that I might not recover from

At that point in time you'll get the dip back in 4-5 years, I wouldn't worry. It's not like being behind in diplo tech will screw you, and you're not integrating or annexing anyone anytime soon anyway.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

canepazzo posted:

At that point in time you'll get the dip back in 4-5 years, I wouldn't worry. It's not like being behind in diplo tech will screw you, and you're not integrating or annexing anyone anytime soon anyway.

It’s more a race against the 100 years left on the clock, though that said I do have control of the whole new world already which from what I understand is the hardest part (thanks Portugal/Spain!)

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

If there is 100 years left you should have the imperialism CB already, no?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Can you demand things that cost diplo points in a peace deal if you're already in negative diplo points?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

canepazzo posted:

If there is 100 years left you should have the imperialism CB already, no?

I'm a diplo tech short because I've been taking so much stuff through unjustified demands :v:

Jay Rust posted:

Can you demand things that cost diplo points in a peace deal if you're already in negative diplo points?

Yep! As long as it wouldn't put you below -999 its fair game

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

canepazzo posted:

Are you collecting in Persia, or even better, is your capital in the Persia node? You should be making far more than that in trade alone.

You're also currently paying a lot in interest and forts, at this stage you shouldn't need too much of a defensive screen, I don't really see who can compete with you militarily, maybe Spain or GB.

Also, you're at 115% overextension, which reduces your trade power abroad by the same amount, which is why you are not seeing any trade income.

Right now I'm in Beijing. I'll log in RN and poke around and maybe move my capital to Persia, though I'll have to annex Luristan to do that.

My biggest worry military is the Commonwealth in the long run. I'm going to have to contend with them soon and they have some sick army quality. My plan is to hit them before too long, maybe once I break the ottomans once more, and then try to access Spain, with France and the HRE as the endgame bosses.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ok I played for an hour or so here.

I went and conquered every centre of trade in Persia (and Hormuz, and Arabian Aden, and vassalized Hormuz so I could start a defensive war with Yemen and have my allies beat them up and took most of Bengal). Going to move my trade capital to Tehran and rearrange my merchants to route everything I can into Persia, and then I'll move onward to Constantinople once I can smash up the Ottomans, which will probably happen pretty soon.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Aug 22, 2023

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
Go fight Spain before anything else and grab Granada and Naples. You need all the extra Admin Efficiency you can get and Government Cap is always good too

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

mfcrocker posted:

I'm a diplo tech short because I've been taking so much stuff through unjustified demands :v:

Yep! As long as it wouldn't put you below -999 its fair game

Didn't even know there was a negative cap. That sounds rough. Have you reached India/SEA? You might have to sit and recuperate those points to get diplo 23, but I don't envy taking all those stupid Oceania islands with less than 100 years left.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

THE BAR posted:

Didn't even know there was a negative cap. That sounds rough. Have you reached India/SEA? You might have to sit and recuperate those points to get diplo 23, but I don't envy taking all those stupid Oceania islands with less than 100 years left.

Yeah, I'm currently at war with Delhi. It'll be a race for sure :)

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
I've forgotten if this is possible, but can I keep the original religion of a province I am colonizing? I'm doing a Kalmar Union run and would like to switch to Norse religion by importing some Animist rebels.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Well that took way longer than it should have, mainly because of a hugbox of Hungary, Poland (With Austrian PU for a while), Lithuania, and some random Italian minors who can all field 70k troops because the ai devs way too much and regiment camps shouldn't exist.

But I managed to pull through in the end. It's funny, the Ottoman wars were by far the easy part of the game lmao.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

I've forgotten if this is possible, but can I keep the original religion of a province I am colonizing? I'm doing a Kalmar Union run and would like to switch to Norse religion by importing some Animist rebels.
Only if you expel minorities from that religion

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Isn't it impossible? Colonizing in Southeast Asia keeps the religion but the rebels will NEVER move out of that local area and just sit there for years and years.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

gotta give one of your provinces to an animist vassal and convert it for them IIRC.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

What? Colonizing doesn't change religion. You need to manually send a missionary. Unless I'm fundamentally misunderstanding something.

Maybe I have a tendency to immediately trade company provinces, but when I colonize Ivory Coast I get all animist or fetishist provinces or whatever they are.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Expel minorities does change religion and culture of the colonised province.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Doesn’t it change culture and religion in the new world but not the old?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Doesn’t it change culture and religion in the new world but not the old?
It should yes.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
Ah that explains it; I'm colonizing in the new world.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
IIRC it specifically changes in colonial regions but not trade company regions, so provinces in Australia also get your religion and culture.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I have been trying to play Japan recently with the new MT and it feels like the new additions to Korea and the way the Domination Japan MT is set up, the pacing for a playthrough is kind of screwed up.

Korea got a lot stronger and between the military buffs, the way the AI is prompted to sit still devving and taking military ideas rather than conquering, and the mountain forts and strong starting fleet, they're kind of on parity or a bit stronger than Japan by the time you've mostly unified the country in the 1470s or 1480s.

The Domination MT for Japan seems to be designed with the idea that you've already conquered Korea, parts of Manchuria, and gotten the claims on South China via the regular Daimyo MT before you form Japan - the new MT doesn't actually give you any claims on Korea. It's kind of a weird situation where you'd get buffed by forming Japan but you should wait to get the claims from the pre-Japan MT, and the pre-Japan MT tells you to take the south of Korea first (where buffs would be helpful to win those wars), when now you'd be better off starting out taking over Manchuria and maybe the Philippines before pushing into Korea.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Korea was a peer to Japan in this period. At the start of the Imjin War the two countries had very comparable populations, and it's mostly through very different attitudes towards military culture, the Portuguese introducing modern firearms to Japan, and a few completely boneheaded strategic decisions that Korea had such a rough first few months of the war. Japan annihilated the first Joseon royal army but got bogged down by guerrilas and were already having a rough time of things even before Ming showed up.

Korea being the first "boss" encounter after already fully completing unification is really how it should be paced. Does sound like the mission trees need to be updated though.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Yeah its not the parity I'm criticising, just that the result of that is the MT should point the player elsewhere first before they try to invade Korea now, rather than giving claims on Manchuria as a reward for taking Korea.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Anbennar has achievements now, on the bitbucket version. Stuff like form the Empire of Anbennar as the Silmuna Dynasty or become the Raja as Zongji.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
Playing an Anbennar game with Brelar (new MT on bitbucket) and not really sure what I'm supposed to do after reforming the Ynnic religion. If I disband the Iosahar system literally everyone rebels and even though I can easily win the war I can only take a handful of provinces and everyone ends up the vassal of the largest country in the rebellion. Is there something I'm missing?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Brelar disbands the iosahar system without the downsides through its mission tree if you go republic instead of monarchy. But Brelar is also currently in an extremely rough state right now. Several parts are just coded wrong. The dev for it is releasing bug fixes as testers give feedback, but appears to have not actually tested the tree themself.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Sounds about right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Really thematic that even the dev for Ynn Valley isn’t willing to play in the Ynn Valley