Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

BonHair posted:

If she wasn't a fascist, she'd be a pretty powerful poster it seems. Seriously, did no one campaign on not being a huge loving nerd?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for a good prime minister to quote Star Trek or Dune or something, but I didn't think the majority would actually vote for someone like that.

Have you missed Herman Cain quoting Pokemon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I mean it literally is a religious text in the sense that it has an entire cosmology and deliberate mythological tie-ins to the real world. Again entirely unsurprising that people would use it as one.

It's a better religious text than Joseph Smith came up with.
It still sounds like someone read

quote:

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.
and took it as a challenge.

But yeah, sometimes it just happens that someone can buy into a culturally overcelebrated myth boi's legacy and decide to do a fascism over it

(and the other guy before that)

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Would love to see some sources for those numbers

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It is the neofascist PMC named after the neoromantic composer's own numbers. Take them at that value.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

It is the neofascist PMC named after the neoromantic composer's own numbers. Take them at that value.

I read that as "necromantic", and that may be needed to match those personnel numbers.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

OddObserver posted:

Right, and the likes of Girkin being involved in modern Russian sci-fi movement (which is largely fash) is also not a thing?

Yep great reading of what I said.

This poo poo goes back to the original publication of LotR it’s not whole cloth rashists from the Putin era

Guavanaut posted:

I will not be taking Prigozhin at face value tyvm

Because I love him so much ofc

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 23, 2023

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

OddObserver posted:

I read that as "necromantic", and that may be needed to match those personnel numbers.

My thoughts as well, Wagner could probably use some necromancers after Bakhmut

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

She also thinks that anime is a great way to get people onto the neo-fascism bandwagon and actually campaigned with her own anime original character - Meloni-Chan.

I don't know that it's anime being the gateway so much as the reverse; people already into hard right stuff ending up liking anime, but completely anecdotally this is totally a thing I've noticed online. There are a weird number of white nationalists / euro-supremacists who are also staunch defenders of Japan.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Koramei posted:

I don't know that it's anime being the gateway so much as the reverse; people already into hard right stuff ending up liking anime, but completely anecdotally this is totally a thing I've noticed online. There are a weird number of white nationalists / euro-supremacists who are also staunch defenders of Japan.
Like 2% of the population is non-Japanese, and half of those are Chinese or Korean. From the point of view of white nationalists who wants to keep their country "pure", Japan is doing pretty good. And if politics are downstream from culture, it makes sense then that Japanese culture is good.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Anime is extremely popular with too online nerds. Fascism is also disproportionately popular with too online nerds, especially so with the sort of fascists/white nationalists you actually see online. Neither one is really a gateway to the other, they just draw from the same demographic pool.

This is why there is also a shitload of anime avatar online communists.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

It still sounds like someone read

and took it as a challenge.

But yeah, sometimes it just happens that someone can buy into a culturally overcelebrated myth boi's legacy and decide to do a fascism over it

(and the other guy before that)

Wagner troops in Algeria seems highly doubtful given the government’s paranoia, and that Wagner-assistance-held parts of Libya do not border Algeria. Public statements I see from Algeria are even against their presence in Mali (https://www.newarab.com/news/algerian-president-urges-mali-drop-russias-wagner-group?amp). What corrupt oligarchies do in public is not necessarily what they do in private, but hiding 1000 Wagner troops in Algeria with zero media coverage whatsoever would be quite a feat. And also not fit at all with the Algerian government’s strongly autarkic mindset.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
What's interesting is why they would want people to think that they do.

Other than the obvious "we're really big and have, like, a thousand guys in so many countries" thing, why Angola?

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Count Roland posted:

Really annoying that the UK had to split. It makes these maps less interesting.

Not quite the exact same timespan but some of it at least, with the UK included. The future forecast for Italy is likely wildly optimistic given the past 30+ years of performance, too.

Italy's anemic growth, and spiraling debt, over the last few decades has been pretty horrendous. Its going to be extremely difficult to remedy now too with their age demographics only getting rapidly worse.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Blut posted:

Not quite the exact same timespan but some of it at least, with the UK included. The future forecast for Italy is likely wildly optimistic given the past 30+ years of performance, too.

Italy's anemic growth, and spiraling debt, over the last few decades has been pretty horrendous. Its going to be extremely difficult to remedy now too with their age demographics only getting rapidly worse.
GDP per capita growth is the only viable measurement, because you can reduce the denominator.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
There's a pretty huge difference between the North and South of Italy in terms of nominal GPD, is there in growth as well? After googling quite a bit I couldn't find anything conclusive. I wonder if the north is chugging along while south is disintegrating.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Perhaps there is a general theory of florida-shaped landmasses collapsing under the weight of Olds.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Like 2% of the population is non-Japanese, and half of those are Chinese or Korean. From the point of view of white nationalists who wants to keep their country "pure", Japan is doing pretty good. And if politics are downstream from culture, it makes sense then that Japanese culture is good.

Also white is a made up category and fascists don’t care about consistency. It’s entirely in their wheelhouse to decide japanese people are ok but ashkenazi jews are 100% scientifically proven not-white despite us being some of the whitest whites to ever sunburn

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

I am haopy not being white if that means i become better at sports and dancing

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

A Buttery Pastry posted:

GDP per capita growth is the only viable measurement, because you can reduce the denominator.

That would be logical, and would better reflect the impact of economic growth (and population growth, and immigration, and other things) on personal prosperity. But it doesn't seem to be catching on, the obsession is still with the headline GDP size/yearly growth figures.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also white is a made up category and fascists don’t care about consistency. It’s entirely in their wheelhouse to decide japanese people are ok but ashkenazi jews are 100% scientifically proven not-white despite us being some of the whitest whites to ever sunburn
"Japanese and Koreans are white, but Chinese and Indonesians are not, even though our racist police can't tell any of those apart" was even a thing that has happened.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Saladman posted:

Wagner troops in Algeria seems highly doubtful given the government’s paranoia, and that Wagner-assistance-held parts of Libya do not border Algeria. Public statements I see from Algeria are even against their presence in Mali (https://www.newarab.com/news/algerian-president-urges-mali-drop-russias-wagner-group?amp). What corrupt oligarchies do in public is not necessarily what they do in private, but hiding 1000 Wagner troops in Algeria with zero media coverage whatsoever would be quite a feat. And also not fit at all with the Algerian government’s strongly autarkic mindset.

Speaking of the Wagner group, it appears that going to Africa to "help fight terrorism" may have been the last thing Prigozjin (allegedly) did. News are just now saying that he was in a plane crash somewhere in Russia and there were no survivors.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

jeebus bob posted:

Speaking of the Wagner group, it appears that going to Africa to "help fight terrorism" may have been the last thing Prigozjin (allegedly) did. News are just now saying that he was in a plane crash somewhere in Russia and there were no survivors.

A plane that was apparently shot down within Russia!? It's being widely reported, but that's really weird...

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The photos of the debris clearly show damage from AA fire. Like I’m an idiot but I work on planes for a living and that wasn’t wrath of god or pilot error damage. There’s also apparently photos of the Prigo body on Telegram but I ain’t looking that up.

Rip in piss if true

MeinPanzer posted:

A plane that was apparently shot down within Russia!? It's being widely reported, but that's really weird...

Eh, swing at the king and miss, ain’t that weird

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Aug 23, 2023

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

MeinPanzer posted:

I assume this is a joke, but now I'm imagining Putin as Mr. Magoo just bumbling around while his enemies get killed in comical ways.

*Falls into radioactive poison*

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

that's not silicon valley that's the sky, or possibly valinor based on that geometry

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

EasilyConfused posted:

I assume this is a joke, but now I'm imagining Putin as Mr. Magoo just bumbling around while his enemies get killed in comical ways.

*Falls into radioactive poison*

Extreme 'known local figure suffered fatal injuries while officers were responding' energy there.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Guavanaut posted:

Extreme 'known local figure suffered fatal injuries while officers were responding' energy there.

It's a joke about his former employment

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Same (venture capital?) firm.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Blut posted:

They’re looking for the answer in Aragorn’s tax policy.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

or possibly valinor based on that geometry

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Wonder why the west chose the slur they did to mock dead mobiks

I've barely ever seen westerners use "that slur" against Russians, it's basically all from Ukrainians as far as I can tell, and it's as much against living ones as dead ones.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
There's a whole bunch of NAFO cosplayers on the internet that use it to make it seem like they have skin in the game too.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

that's not silicon valley that's the sky, or possibly valinor based on that geometry

valinor is in the west though

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I thought the Orc/Russia thing originated from Kirill Eskov's The Last Ringbearer, and that some Russians at least were using the term self-referentially before the war. Wasn't there some right wing Russian song back around the time the donbas war was kicking off about how Mordor (Russia) had been ruined by Rohan, Elves and Jews?

Still the western twitter folk going all in on it cause they want to pretend they're involved in the war are loving cringe.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Randarkman posted:

I've barely ever seen westerners use "that slur" against Russians, it's basically all from Ukrainians as far as I can tell, and it's as much against living ones as dead ones.

I've heard it in real life from people who were supposedly my friends. Every time it was from someone as removed from the conflict as you can possibly be.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's some theories that orcs come from Tolkien's impression of the Italians from his time in World War 1, which generally don't seem to be supported by anything else, but it's sure funny in this context.

From what I've heard of Tolkien's later thoughts on orcs, he was never really certain what to do with them, but he didn't like the idea of people who were evil from birth and had thoughts on evil being generally unable to create anything new. I guess there's probably some potential for salvation for them as well. Maybe the lack of later worldbuilding could denote that Middle Earth at large does not really know how orc society works.

There was a bit at the end of Return of the King where they clarify that while Gondor pushed its borders to retake the areas conquered by the forces of Sauron, they did still organize territory that everyone agreed would be left to the orcs. Whatever they are, they have a right to exist and determine their own fates like everyone else, regardless of whatever magical corruption they were involved with. I thought that was neat.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

There's some theories that orcs come from Tolkien's impression of the Italians from his time in World War 1, which generally don't seem to be supported by anything else, but it's sure funny in this context.

so what you're saying is instead of accepting GW's interpretation of orcs as poor londoners, we should instead treat all orcs as if they are from new jersey

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
looks like gabagool is back on the menu, paisans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Orcs are the Industrial Revolution made flesh.

Their works are the Dark Satanic Mills of Blake's Jerusalem taken as literally as possible.