Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

bull3964 posted:

The Defiant is actually even worse.

You can SEE the external doors of the airlock while the Defiant is "docked."
I propose on DS9 on the other side of the big gear doors is a transporter room, and they're always just beaming over to those "docked" ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

This guy is working to better himself and the rest of humanity by jacking off the bongs at the Café des Artistes

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

MadDogMike posted:

Honestly the idea of Klingons literally being fired out of the ship for shore leave is funny enough I almost think it should be canon even if it isn't supposed to be.

like how british MPs cannot actually resign because honor so they have to be appointed to a random post they can then resign from

klingons cannot leave the ship without going on the attack. gotta get thrown out the airlock with a mekleth and a bad attitude

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Tonight is "Tomorrow is Yesterday".

Is there some established reason why flying just below the speed of light won't take them to the future or did they just not know how relativity worked?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Atlas Hugged posted:

Tonight is "Tomorrow is Yesterday".

Is there some established reason why flying just below the speed of light won't take them to the future or did they just not know how relativity worked?

Someone would probably notice them over the course of the next few hundred years.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

MikeJF posted:

Someone would probably notice them over the course of the next few hundred years.

I mean that's just a question of doing it in the right place.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
New post: new episode.

Time for Court Martial.

We've just been introduced to Miss Finney and ugh please what the gently caress is this poo poo?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Regarding the Bird of Prey 's cloaca, I think the torpedo tube was canonically used to launch probes when the D needed to leave something laying around an area.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Samuel T. Cogley isn't that great a lawyer (in my layman's opinion). Defending Kirk mostly involves grandstanding against computers and then waiting around for the inevitable evidence that exonerates Kirk.

Measure of A Man is something of a remake of Court Martial (main character involved in a trial, old flame of the captain's is the prosecutor), but it's better written and probably more realistic to how court martials actually work.

e: Not a criticism of Elisha Cook, whom I enjoy in the role.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Aug 23, 2023

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
The episode is a legit end stage capitalist horror story.

AI generated security footage.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Samuel T. Cogley is just a simple country hyperchicken from a backwater asteroid.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Atlas Hugged posted:

New post: new episode.

Time for Court Martial.

We've just been introduced to Miss Finney and ugh please what the gently caress is this poo poo?

It's been a long time since I've seen that episode but I do remember thinking they cast that role WAY too old. The character mostly acts like she's 12 but they cast a 25-year-old to play the part, which made it really weird.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's weird that they dragoon officers into prosecutorial and defense roles, right

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

On this season of Strange New Worlds, there is a courtroom episode that has loads of references to Court Martial.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Court Martial also hangs a lot of its case on "computers don't lie!", which is pretty rich to watch now in the age of ChatGPT nonsense.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

On this season of Strange New Worlds, there is a courtroom episode that has loads of references to Court Martial.

I award you our highest honor for valor in combat, this pink paste crystal. You wear it with your Class A pajamas.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Cogley is the guy I imagine whenever I read that tumblr post about going to Coachella in a white suit and going “now I’m no big city lawyer, but can any of you fellas tell me where I can get some fuckin’ acid?” I would not want him to defend me in court

Also, where does he go? This always bothered me. After they move the court to the bridge and start investigating his suggestion that dead guy isn’t dead, he just leaves and never comes back! Kirk VOs that he was going to get the dead guy’s kid in case they needed her to blackmail the dead guy with, but in the event neither of them ever shows up, and the blackmail works just fine without her presence anyway! Cogley doesn’t even check back in with Kirk at the end—he’s too busy preparing to defend the dead guy, apparently! Did the actor just run out of time and move on to the next gig or what??

“Court Martial” is (imo) one of those bad episodes that still has interest just because of what it establishes about the characters and their world. It’s really our first look at Starfleet as such, beyond the heroes, and you get some interesting perspective on the attitudes and aspirations of its members. Kirk was a midshipman who vaulted over the heads of more experienced officers, inviting their jealousy. Promotion accomplished by list—a senior officer’s bad opinion of you seems to count for everything. The dead guy himself so manically ambitious to command that he went space crazy about it and planned a completely nonsensical crime (what were his future plans? swoop back in to save his daughter (in what? A shuttle?) and peace out before they realized that he was a psychotic fraud?) The commodore anxious not to let it all come to trial because he’s worried about the reputational consequences for the fleet (to Kirk’s anger and astonishment). The junior officer lawyer for the prosecution, professionally dedicated but not above loving her case around behind the scenes for personal reasons. And most of all the odd (probably unrealized/unintentional/period) insistence on the relative fallibility of the computer compared to the obviously perfectly reliable human mind. It’s by no means a window on utopia: we get a portrait of a sharply status-conscious society struggling to balance its traditions with technological progress, where perfect information is rarely available and human trust, however self-interested, is all one has to go on.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Atlas Hugged posted:

The episode is a legit end stage capitalist horror story.

AI generated security footage.

It's a good thing they didn't have that tech a good 7 years prior, for M'Benga anyways :v:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

like how british MPs cannot actually resign because honor so they have to be appointed to a random post they can then resign from

klingons cannot leave the ship without going on the attack. gotta get thrown out the airlock with a mekleth and a bad attitude
Also it sounds fun and like if every vacation started with having to go down a water slide at the airport

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

zoux posted:

It's weird that they dragoon officers into prosecutorial and defense roles, right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss_J_4F_nIM

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
"Mr Data, we must hurry or we'll miss Commander Riker's party!" is an incredibly funny line.

Anyway, Future Imperfect was alright. I kind of guessed what was going to happen the moment they said Riker's wife was called "Min" and I went "Oh, short for Minuet maybe? So that's the tell that'll give it all away as being fake? Okay!" And it's a good scene when it finally happens, Riker grumpily going "gently caress off you frauds" to everybody.It's capped off by an incredibly comical reveal that made me laugh out loud. The little spindly fingers, tee hee. Oh and Troi's "old age" makeup made her somehow look way younger.

Final Mission, I suppose that's Wesley's send off and he just guest stars from now on? Not a bad one. Production design, location shoots, cinematography and score all combine to make this one feel very filmic, though of course it all ends up in the usual Oblivion cave set. Is it the same set from the previous episode? Another silly makeup near the start, though nothing's ever going to top the arsefaces from Deja Q. The Antedeans come in slim second place.

Going back to the score thing, I'm quite pleased at all the musical variation throughout the series. It's funny how you get some episodes that are scored just fine, while some have these incredible bespoke soundtracks that are loving astonishing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The child alien costume at the end of Future Imperfect looked bad at the time, but it's aged even worse in HD

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Atlas Hugged posted:

DS9 had the Wormhole Aliens and the Pah'wraiths, but I can't think of any other godlike beings that pop up outside of Q in more modern Treks. Lower Decks is basically the only show that leans into how loving weird TOS was.

Umm.. the Founders??

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Mike the TV posted:

Umm.. the Founders??

That's different.

The Founders ARE gods. :colbert:

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

Stereoscopic Suffocation!
If "mastery over time and space" counts as god-like, the Guardian of Forever did make an appearance in Discovery...

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I see there's been another escape from the Weyoun cloning facility.

Speaking of, the Riker clone absolutely died during the occupation of Cardassia right?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

MuddyFunster posted:

Anyway, Future Imperfect was alright. I kind of guessed what was going to happen the moment they said Riker's wife was called "Min" and I went "Oh, short for Minuet maybe? So that's the tell that'll give it all away as being fake? Okay!" And it's a good scene when it finally happens, Riker grumpily going "gently caress off you frauds" to everybody.It's capped off by an incredibly comical reveal that made me laugh out loud. The little spindly fingers, tee hee. Oh and Troi's "old age" makeup made her somehow look way younger.

Another little tell that you might have subconsciously noticed: we never get an outside view of the Enterprise (or the Romulan base, for that matter) in the fake realities. The camera always stays right there with Riker, because there IS no outside to show us (without giving away the whole thing, at least). He's just in Barash's holodeck, so the camera stays in there too. The episode starts to feel downright claustrophobic after a while without the usual "establishing shots" from the outside.

This same tell may or may not appear again in the future. :getin:

And then Lower Decks came along and broke this convention and happily shows us the nonexistent outsides of ships whose insides are being simulated in the holodeck, drat it McMahan, I love your show except this ONE fiddly little detail! :bang:

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

MuddyFunster posted:

"Mr Data, we must hurry or we'll miss Commander Riker's party!" is an incredibly funny line.

Final Mission, I suppose that's Wesley's send off and he just guest stars from now on? Not a bad one. Production design, location shoots, cinematography and score all combine to make this one feel very filmic, though of course it all ends up in the usual Oblivion cave set. Is it the same set from the previous episode? Another silly makeup near the start, though nothing's ever going to top the arsefaces from Deja Q. The Antedeans come in slim second place.

Going back to the score thing, I'm quite pleased at all the musical variation throughout the series. It's funny how you get some episodes that are scored just fine, while some have these incredible bespoke soundtracks that are loving astonishing.

Those of us who were watching TNG in the original broadcast run were slower picking up on the Min clue because that episode was from years before. The final reveal was an “oh poo poo I remember that now” moment.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Just finished Enterprise. "These Are the Voyages" was bad as hell!

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
This is why we tell people to stop at the real series finale, Terra Prime!

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Yeah I already knew what I was getting into. I was just amazed at all the weirdness they crammed in there. Archer and Trip toasting "to the next generation," everybody telling Chef Riker how Trip and Archer had this bond and how he was an uneducated Floridian hick, Riker with his hair looking like he was giving a press conference outside Four Seasons Landscaping, cutting off the Federation speech, even T'Pol swaying unsteadily when Archer hugs her like she's got some sort of neurodegenerative problem. Woof!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

To me, he'll always be Jean-Luc.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

It's very amusing that in Time Squared Riker diagnoses the problem with the script. "Now, you're frustrated because you not only can't see the solution, you can't even define the problem." The conflict is too muddy for any real tension and the episode just sort of ambles on to its unintelligible conclusion.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
IIRC, Time Squared was originally meant to lead into Q-Who, and the nonsensical situation was meant to be another of Q's tests. But that idea got dropped without anyone bothering to rewrite the script so it'd make sense on its own.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Angry Salami posted:

IIRC, Time Squared was originally meant to lead into Q-Who, and the nonsensical situation was meant to be another of Q's tests. But that idea got dropped without anyone bothering to rewrite the script so it'd make sense on its own.

Yeah, I read that in the notes on memory alpha.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I don't think Q would've improved anything. He would have just looked arbitrary and cruel - hm.

The wikipedia entry for Time Squared includes

"In 1989, Vegetarian Times thought the episode "hints at veganism", because of the scene where Riker makes scrambled eggs with real eggs, but most of his guests find the food unappetizing.[4]"

DavidCameronsPig
Jun 23, 2023
That does make a degree of sense. The alternative is Riker somehow managed to massively gently caress up scrambled eggs, and how do you even do that?

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

They were just disgusting alien eggs.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

cenotaph posted:

They were just disgusting alien eggs.

Look this comes up all the time in the UFO thread, but just because chickens are goofy looking doesn't mean their aliens. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE

Fornax Disaster posted:

Those of us who were watching TNG in the original broadcast run were slower picking up on the Min clue because that episode was from years before. The final reveal was an “oh poo poo I remember that now” moment.

Yeah, that's kind of a blessing and curse of having the whole show readily available to binge for a first time viewing I suppose. I cannot imagine the sweaty fury between parts 1 and 2 of Best of Both Worlds, holy poo poo I would have exploded.