Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
One of my cats is very much like a dog and demanding attention, she wants to be cuddled non-stop and carried around, and then there's her cousin, who came from a similar breeder. However, the cousin was a breeding queen, and as such was kept in a kennel for most of her life and had very little interaction with humans. So she is what we call a stripper cat: you can look at her but you certainly can't touch. We've had Bailey for about 4 years now, and only recently has she apparently come to trust us enough where she will sit by us if we're watching TV, and we can pet her if she comes over to us, but we'll probably never be able to pick her up or initiate contact.

Mew on the other hand, will throw herself on the ground in front of you and wrap her legs around you. Trying to keep you still so you can pet her. And more than once she's taken a flying vault of a leap so she can land on your chest and be carried around.

lovely thing: It's monsoon season in Phoenix, and I remember many years ago as a kid, the entire month of July was nonstop thunderstorms and we had flash floods by washes. This year we've been lucky to have maybe one or two days of sprinkling. So I guess climate change and a lack of rain is what I'm trying to specify now. I mean we've got saguaro cactuses falling over from lack of water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
My Lenovo dock keeps turning off the monitore and I have to constantly unplugged and replug them in to get my screens back.

According to the internet complaints this has been a problem for years. How do you gently caress up this badly?

Suspect A
Jan 1, 2015

Nap Ghost
Lenovo fell off hard as soon as it laid off their holdover IBM staff. Who thought it was a good idea to use a flimsy usb-c connector for my laptops AC adapter? And why is it that the plug to adapter is a cheap separate part but the expensive adapter is stuck with usb-c?

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Dell does it too. Misguided attempt at standardizing laptop charging infrastructure across brands.

For phones, tablets and anything that weighs less than a kilo, USB-C is loving amazing and i love it. For laptops it's the stupidest thing ever.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yeah, my work Dell has a USB C charger and I've cracked two of those flimsy plastic housings just in the last year. I barely move my computer at all, and never with the cable in!

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
My work MBA uses USBC and every so often decides that it prefers one port to another. Why? gently caress you.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
USB-C is awesome for moving the laptop between docks, dock compatibility with multiple laptops, and not having to carry a charger in your laptop bag

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I feel like we are missing the point of “universal” serial buss

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yeah, USB-C and PD rules. I can charge all of my devices with the same chargers and everything plugs into the same dock.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
My Lenovo dock at work has a standard power adapter magnetized to the USB C for the dock functions. Outside of flicking my monitor on and off when the computer goes to sleep it has been ok.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah, my work Dell has a USB C charger and I've cracked two of those flimsy plastic housings just in the last year. I barely move my computer at all, and never with the cable in!

This is what concerns me about it. I feel like I have to be extremely careful when plugging in or out or when repositioning the laptop while it's plugged in. Sort of robs the laptop of one of its most practical selling points.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Serious_Cyclone posted:

This is what concerns me about it. I feel like I have to be extremely careful when plugging in or out or when repositioning the laptop while it's plugged in. Sort of robs the laptop of one of its most practical selling points.

I worked on a board for a couple years that had a SMD USB-C port, and the physical design of the USB-C SMD part is the weakest link in the hardware of the standard. It's so tiny, so complex, very hard to work on/fix, and leaves a lot of room to break pins or traces with minor flex.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

they call me 3.5mm jack cause of my

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

MrQwerty posted:

I worked on a board for a couple years that had a SMD USB-C port, and the physical design of the USB-C SMD part is the weakest link in the hardware of the standard. It's so tiny, so complex, very hard to work on/fix, and leaves a lot of room to break pins or traces with minor flex.

Yeah I have a ThinkPad that I really like, but it has a USB-C charging port and I feel like I have to line it up with all of the precision of docking to the International Space Station to prevent it from flexing. There doesn't seem to be any room for error at all. MacBooks seem to have figured this out a long time ago, although I think they also went through a USB-C era in the last few years because reasons.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Yeah I have a ThinkPad that I really like, but it has a USB-C charging port and I feel like I have to line it up with all of the precision of docking to the International Space Station to prevent it from flexing. There doesn't seem to be any room for error at all. MacBooks seem to have figured this out a long time ago, although I think they also went through a USB-C era in the last few years because reasons.

pins on the top row are damaged on this one, I probably picked it up off the floor after someone left a bunch of trash there because there was a jammed reel.
it's got 4 anchors, 2 at the front and 2 at the back, and all 24 of those tiny rear end pins right next to the flex point on the rear anchors. It's really delicate, way more than it's acknowledged to be by manufacturers since devices are "disposable" I guess.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
A shameless repost from local reddit:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Checkout fee ???

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I want chilli relleno now

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

euphronius posted:

Checkout fee ???

how are we supposed to afford paying people minimum wage or below in this economy otherwise!?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Are we just adding whatever bullshit fees we want now? Can I charge stores a payment fee?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Is that a fee for using a credit card? I heard that that was recently legalized and have noticed some businesses doing it. They usually frame it as a discount for cash though.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Just raise the price by 3.5% per entree and nobody would notice, but attach a ridiculous fee for the crime of dining in-restaurant and you will immediately lose customers.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

One of my faves was doing carry-out ordering from Olive Garden (my wife and I are both caucasian, if you couldn't tell). I included a tip on the checkout that was carried through and reflected on the receipt I had to sign on pick-up, but underneath it was a line labeled "Additional Tip: ___________"

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Outrail posted:

Are we just adding whatever bullshit fees we want now? Can I charge stores a payment fee?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCT3jm1A-5U

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

euphronius posted:

I feel like we are missing the point of “universal” serial buss

I know that's nice, but the problem with the docking stations that have a thick, stiff cable to deliver 90w to a laptop as well as carry a bunch of data lines, is that the stiff cable will put a ton of stress on the USB-C connector and eventually damage it.
The standard barrel connector on older Dell laptops does not have that issue. It is larger and can rotate freely - though even those will occasionally break. Not in as high numbers as i've seen the USB-C docking station connectors break, or break the socket for it on the motherboard which especially sucks.

If the docking station cable was as thin as a phone charging cable, this whole problem would not exist but you can't send 90w of power as well as a bunch of high speed data through a little phone cable.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
I treat my work mbp with nothing but contempt and never have these issues. You guys have cheap dells and that’s the real issue.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Internet Old One posted:

I treat my work mbp with nothing but contempt and never have these issues. You guys have cheap dells and that’s the real issue.

About 4 years ago MacBooks had the exact same problem. Glad they seem to have learned their lesson at least.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Internet Old One posted:

I had a self-built set up for myself to acquire for work and IT over-rode my request and made me get a Dell instead (which was more expensive) and I've never hated a computer more than I hate this piece of poo poo Dell that struggles to do super complex things like use windows explorer, or rename a file.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

MrQwerty posted:

I had to replace my new Lenovo laptop recently because the usb-c charging port was damaged somehow (power surge, flexing,etc); unfortunately, the damaged port was on the motherboard rather than a sister/daughter board and I have no technical proficiency, so to repair/replace the motherboard would have cost (labor/parts) about the same as simply buying an all new computer. Honestly, I only really use my comp as a word processor/email machine and I do harbor serious concerns regarding tech pollution, so I try not to replace my laptop/electronics more often than absolutely necessary (kept my predecessor laptop for approximately a decade), so that really chapped me

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Brother Tadger posted:

I had to replace my new Lenovo laptop recently because the usb-c charging port was damaged somehow (power surge, flexing,etc); unfortunately, the damaged port was on the motherboard rather than a sister/daughter board and I have no technical proficiency, so to repair/replace the motherboard would have cost (labor/parts) about the same as simply buying an all new computer. Honestly, I only really use my comp as a word processor/email machine and I do harbor serious concerns regarding tech pollution, so I try not to replace my laptop/electronics more often than absolutely necessary (kept my predecessor laptop for approximately a decade), so that really chapped me

it's pretty much always gonna be on a mobo because of the bus and it's mostly gonna be flex breaking solder/lead/ripping the board up. It's a really bad part, straight up, as far as stress goes. No way around it.
We had printing issues with the apertures on the screen across two continents the entire time we ran that board. I'm sure part of it was the Dek printers all being ~20 and reaching EOL, but those apertures are very small and I assume that SMD USB-C parts account for a lot of rework in soldering factories.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Just raise the price by 3.5% per entree and nobody would notice, but attach a ridiculous fee for the crime of dining in-restaurant and you will immediately lose customers.

They almost certainly did raise the prices already lol.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Yeah as someone who does desktop support, the biggest failure item I've seen on laptops, other than batteries, are the USB-C ports. Like was mentioned above, the cables from docks are thicker, so less flexible, but you'd better believe people will cram those cords up against their cubicle walls and the stress will break the cable, if you're lucky*, the USB-C port if you're not.

*Not THAT much luckier, since even though Dell made it so you CAN replace the USB-C cable on the WD15 or WD19 docks, they don't actually SELL those parts directly, anymore. At least not as far as I can tell. They even seemed to stop selling the "WD19TB upgrade kit" which could accomplish the same goal if you have a broke USB C cable, albeit at a higher price (or same price if you already HAD TB versions of the dock.)

So there's more stuff that's shittier. It's one thing to just NOT make parts user replaceable, but I feel like it's a bit shittier to make them use replaceable, in theory, but then just never actually sell the replacement parts.

V V V I'm just talking about the USC cable from the dock, it's already designed to come off and get replaced, they just stopped making/selling the parts V V V

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Aug 23, 2023

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

DrBouvenstein posted:

So there's more stuff that's shittier. It's one thing to just NOT make parts user replaceable, but I feel like it's a bit shittier to make them use replaceable, in theory, but then just never actually sell the replacement parts.

the problem with making the USB-C part replaceable is that you just have to make a board for the USB-C SMD part with an interconnect plug with another board, increase the thickness of the device and increase the cost of manufacturing in a pretty massive way.
it's a bad system and it needs to change cuz I've watched it go down, but pretty much any option other than status quo is $$$+++

naem
May 29, 2011

Just pay money to upload your Docs to The Cloud©️™️ for only $29.95 per month

and rent subscribe™️©️ to your software for $875 a year (formerly $875 to own a disk)

replace your hardware for $2-5k semiannually when the parts™️©️™️ break

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)
power through PORTS!? what about WIRELESS CHARGING 100% OF THE TIME

I think my S8+ has only charged through wireless for about 4.5/6 years of its life

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 23, 2023

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
McDonald's menus. They flick through a bunch of disjointed items and colours and don't even tell you all the options. Just give me a list of your garbage and how much it costs. At least stop cycling through different screens, I can't even read all the options. It's so loving dumb.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Aug 24, 2023

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

McDonald's menus. They flick through a bunch of disjointed items and colours and don't even tell you all the options. Just give me a list of your garbage and how much it costs. At least stop cycling through different screens, I can't even read all the options. It's so loving dumb.

bring back the loving dollar menu. if a cheeseburger is loving $3 you may as well just make it yourself.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Cowslips Warren posted:

bring back the loving dollar menu. if a cheeseburger is loving $3 you may as well just make it yourself.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

The Federal Reserve took that from us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

DoubleT2172 posted:

The Federal Reserve took that from us

drat those fat cats at the Federal Reserve eating all of McDonalds reserve of McDoubles

Just the fattest cats :(