Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Saw Oppenheimer tonight and Barbie was a more enjoyable experience but also I’m reminded that we’re all going to burn one day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Oppenheimer, what a slog that was.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I think I have to agree a little bit. There was some incredible visuals, but not being able to understand what anybody said was definitely a problem.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I had that problem with Tenet and a few isolated scenes in earlier movies, but everything in Oppy sounded perfectly clear to my ears.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

saw it in 35 and they were using Front L and Front R to generate center dialogue, oof, insane amount of hiss

just a dull slog. i can deal with Nolan when he's making bugfuck rides like tenet but he's anodyne and tedious otherwise

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I thought it went by pretty fast and was entertaining enough, but it was a bit unsatisfying thematically. He presents a lot of thematic ideas and concepts but he doesn’t really develop many of them. Makes it feel a bit messy.

I hope he gives us something as lean and focused as Dunkirk again someday.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I had no problem hearing anything both times. Your theaters were stinky

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

well that's for sure, but also what an insane waste of time and imax stock

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

looking forward to the thread where we just say what video game console specific movies look like

This is a Commodore 64 post

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

kiimo posted:

do you know what vitriol means

It's the only topic in this otherwise laid back and informative thread (esp for CD) where ppl pull in info from other threads and start castigating ppl for being on one side or the other. It def makes me scroll thru faster to get back to the trailer talk.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Shageletic posted:

It's the only topic in this otherwise laid back and informative thread (esp for CD) where ppl pull in info from other threads and start castigating ppl for being on one side or the other. It def makes me scroll thru faster to get back to the trailer talk.

You are correct.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Ror posted:

it's here. the excitement in the air is palpable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61I6LORlyBg

Kel must have some deep dirt on someone. Maybe Dan Schneider sampled his feet and Nickelodeon execs knew.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

teagone posted:

Zack Snyder should make a Perfect Dark movie.

drat that game had a crazy rear end plot

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

I had no problem hearing anything both times. Your theaters were stinky

It was the main 70mm at the Chinese Theater so that's surprising but not out of the realm of possibilities

also my ears might be stinky

Shageletic posted:

you quoted my post though and I wasn't trying to participate in that, just saying that I liked Watchmen a lot

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

kiimo posted:

you quoted my post though and I wasn't trying to participate in that, just saying that I liked Watchmen a lot

Actually that was me, my quoting your post and following comment were meant to be unrelated, sorry about that. I just thought it was funny that someone likes Watchmen that much, then had an unrelated comment about the larger Snyder discourse.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Roger that, also I had a few drinks last night all good

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Speleothing posted:

I was like 11 when it released and played the poo poo out of it, and honestly I think I just assumed my stupid kid brain missed some important details. But nah, it's really just loving out there.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Speleothing posted:

I remember playing it at a friend's house first and playing the multiplayer before the single player. All I knew about it was that it was "just like Goldeneye". So when aliens showed up in the multiplayer, I not knowing the plot yet was very confused.

Then I played the single player mode, and was still confused.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

FishBowlRobot posted:

Kel must have some deep dirt on someone. Maybe Dan Schneider sampled his feet and Nickelodeon execs knew.

The director of Good Burger is current Paramount Pictures CEO

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Jewmanji posted:

Trailer for the new Zack Snyder movie (sorry, 3:42 minute long teaser). Looks like it was created by an AI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rHLOXbFZtI

edit: Apparently it's a "part 1" and "part 2" affair? Just kill me.

https://twitter.com/ZackSnyder/status/1694054328410218762

Yep, that looks like a Zack Snyder movie. And I legit lol’d at the blatant lightsaber ripoff. Thanks, Zack.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

teagone posted:

Zack Snyder should've made Oppenheimer

The people have spoken!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

kiimo posted:

Roger that, also I had a few drinks last night all good

Hell yeah

Kinda related I found the bars in LA when I visited to be fascinating. Like under a hotel or somebody's house. They were kinda...baroque?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

There's a lot of hidden bars in LA. Some have legit swagger and some are eye-rolling. I'm not sure how I feel about Good Time At Davey Wayne's, for instance.

It's a bar that you climb through a refrigerator in a fake garage to enter. It's annoying after the first time, but also they consistently have amazing bands and i always have a good time....at davey wayne's.

edit:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

kiimo posted:

There's a lot of hidden bars in LA. Some have legit swagger and some are eye-rolling. I'm not sure how I feel about Good Time At Davey Wayne's, for instance.

It's a bar that you climb through a refrigerator in a fake garage to enter. It's annoying after the first time, but also they consistently have amazing bands and i always have a good time....at davey wayne's.

edit:

Lol that's great. Quoting this to find next time in LA.

In addition to the boiler room hotel bar I mentioned earlier, last time I was there I was at the bar they used for New Girl's pilot in Koreatown. As an avid fan of the show it was always discombobulating how much bigger the bar is on the show.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

kiimo posted:

edit:

this owns. there are a few 'secret' bars like this in pdx

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I've heard ppl up in the NW are cold as hell. Ppl in LA were friendly as hell. If they were fake too I sure as hell don't have the social perception to notice so whatever.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
I'm a bit late to the party but here's a brief rundown on Netflix's filmmaking strategy for their bigger budget movies:

1. Give a name director $100 million to make a movie.

2. Sit back as the project goes overbudget, is mired in expensive additional photography (pickups/reshoots), added visual effects, and edit changes.

3. Complain internally but never intervene to bring the project under control, bending over for every cost overrun, until the budget hits $200 million.

4. Release the film on streaming after an 18 month delay.

5. ???

6. Profit!

Dillbag fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Aug 25, 2023

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I think every medium to large city has those secret bars now. Seoul has a nice one that looks like a convincing neighborhood shrine, but if you climb under a Buddha you’re in a fancy cocktail bar with fish tanks in the ceiling.

When I was in Barcelona I went to one that was a fully functional barbershop, but if you said a secret word to the barber (posted to their social daily) he opened the mirror stand and there was a bar in the back.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I gotta be honest: I love poo poo like this.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I too like Speakeasies.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Shageletic posted:

I've heard ppl up in the NW are cold as hell. Ppl in LA were friendly as hell. If they were fake too I sure as hell don't have the social perception to notice so whatever.

They should've called the NHL team the Seattle Freeze.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

FishBowlRobot posted:

I just assume Kenan feels bad.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAh-xgggcfI

Could be good?

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Jimbot posted:

Considering the poo poo we got, that rated-R Star Wars would have been a good idea. Let Luke say gently caress.

I'm still waiting on the Andor UHD steelbook with Maeve's "gently caress The Empire" reinstated.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Looks pretty cool. I embarrassingly thought F.o.e. was a dumb name for a movie but then remembered that foe was a word and that's fine and cool

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Aug 25, 2023

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

FOE is an abbreviation, it stands for Formido Oppugnatura Exsequens.

...in the Etrian Odyssey games!

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Foe looks cool as hell. I'm in.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

F.O.E. stands for Family Over Everything, at least among NBA players who have it tattooed on them

It also took me a minute to remember foe is an actual word

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGvX7ma7Xnk

Making a movie about Pinochet that seems to focus on him as an embezzler is a choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

live with fruit posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGvX7ma7Xnk

Making a movie about Pinochet that seems to focus on him as an embezzler is a choice.

for a hot second i was like "didnt we already get like 3 pinocchio movies"

anyway trailer looks like theyre going for a death of stalin vibe? not familiar enough with the actors to be able to tell if thats gonna work or not