Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
if anyone else was having trouble getting a comfortable grip holding the controller with fingers on all 4 triggers, trigger extenders with a ps5 pro controller has pretty much solved it for me. the longer triggers let me space my fingers out in a more comfortable way and make sure I’m not accidentally clicking them as I press other buttons and the grippy surface helps with keeping the controller steady since you’ve got less fingers to hold it (ring fingers on the extra back buttons which I’m going to map to jump/ascend and quick boost). the trigger extenders were cheap and feel stable after several hours of use, definitely doing way fewer accidental clicks and incidental trigger pulls

e:

ZeeBoi posted:

August 23rd is when the preload starts on PlayStation.

Ah that was it, thanks

DragQueenofAngmar fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

kliras posted:

there seem to have been a lot dualsense price drops lately, so you might wanna pick one up for ac6 if you can get one in your colour of choice in your area

Something else to consider with controllers. I recently got to try out the ludicrously priced Dualsense Edge controller. It's expensive, but it feels real good, and oh man those two rear buttons are absolute game changers.

I tried it out in Elden Ring and bound the Sprint / Dodge button to a rear button which allowed me to spring around at full speed and maintain full control of both sticks without having to claw grip. I imagine that with Armored Core, binding the rear buttons to Jump and Dodge will be just as game changing.

Also, the two Function buttons below the joysticks are useful too. Steam lets you bind pretty much anything you want to any button you want, including multiple keypresses, so in Elden Ring I added my Torrent Ring to the Triangle + Dpad Up quick press slot, and then setup the right Function button to activate both the Triangle button and D-Pad Up at the same time with a single press, and now I have an instant Mount button I can use with my right hand while my left hand keeps pushing forward on the joystick, so I don't have to stop moving to mount up.

8-bitdo also has a few great-feeling controllers with rear buttons as well if you don't feel like lighting cash on fire.

Either way, if you're going to play AC6 with a controller, I'd highly recommend one with rear buttons. I had my doubts about how useful it would be and thought rear buttons were kind of gimmicky, but I don't know if I could go back now. They're awesome.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Aug 23, 2023

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

GreatGreen posted:

Something else to consider with controllers. I recently got to try out the ludicrously priced Dualsense Edge controller. It's expensive, but it feels real good, and oh man those two rear buttons are absolute game changers.

Also, the two Function buttons below the joysticks are useful too. Steam lets you bind pretty much anything you want to any button you want, including multiple keypresses, so in Elden Ring I added my Torrent Ring to the Triangle+Up quick-press slot, and then setup the right Function button to activate both the Triangle button and D-Pad Up, and now I have an instant Mount button I can use with my right hand while my left hand keeps pushing forward on the joystick, so I don't have to stop moving to mount up.

this is sick and I’ll have to try using the Edge for some PC games. I really wish you could assign those buttons to macros (or anything except menus) on PS5 but I’m pretty sure there’s no way to do it currently (at least through the built in functions, maybe with some kind of 3rd party insert though)

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
i'm also currently using the ds4 with the official back button attachment, and it completely changes your grip to something that's actually remotely comfortable, on top of giving you easier access to shoulder/trigger buttons. sekiro destroyed my index finger from deflecting with l1/lb, and i imagine ac6 will do the same with some moves

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

this is sick and I’ll have to try using the Edge for some PC games. I really wish you could assign those buttons to macros (or anything except menus) on PS5 but I’m pretty sure there’s no way to do it currently (at least through the built in functions, maybe with some kind of 3rd party insert though)

:snoop: PC Master Race baybee :snoop:

Kidding, but yeah that setup rules. I'm kind of amazed by what a single extra button can do for the pacing and feel of an entire game.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Aug 23, 2023

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

if anyone else was having trouble getting a comfortable grip holding the controller with fingers on all 4 triggers

Remember your ancestors.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Reviews are starting to drop

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

8.25 from Game Informer

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

https://opencritic.com/game/15125/armored-core-vi-fires-of-rubicon

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Orv
May 4, 2011
Prevailing opinion seems to be “It’s some Armored Core” down to the middling reviews being “I don’t like when Armored Core does Armored Core things.”

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Fun game, tough bosses, narrative/storytelling is middling to bad is what I’m seeing.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Textures bad when close up in this super fast paced action game, 6.5/10

Ok then!

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

ZeeBoi posted:

Fun game, tough bosses, narrative/storytelling is middling to bad is what I’m seeing.
sounds like what you get with the sekiro guy in charge

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

Is there any sort of basic primer on what legs are best for what playstyle? I know when I played ac 1 as a kid my stupid child brain was like “ oh these ones go loving backwards? Heck yea!” and then proceeded to play in the shittiest way possible.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

mdct posted:

Remember your ancestors.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Orv
May 4, 2011

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

Is there any sort of basic primer on what legs are best for what playstyle? I know when I played ac 1 as a kid my stupid child brain was like “ oh these ones go loving backwards? Heck yea!” and then proceeded to play in the shittiest way possible.

Child you was correct raptor legs are the coolest don’t listen to anything else

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

The simple answer is that:
Bipeds are versatile all-rounders with no real weaknesses but no major upsides either,
Reverse-Joints are (on average) the lightest but are great at instantly taking off and have the best vertical aerial mobility,
Quads are (on average) heavier and have difficulty taking off but have fantastic horizontal aerial mobility,
Tanks are the heaviest and toughest, but are the worst in the air in all respects.

There's "on average" because there are light Quads and heavy Reverse-Joints. Even light Tanks tend to give you really high AP and weight capacity, though. In this case, weight both refers to the parts themselves and how much AP they provide in addition to the carrying capacity of your mech.

There's some other things too depending on game but may not be true here, like how Quads sometimes alter the way your mech uses laser blades, but that's a game-by-game basis thing.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
i wonder if the outlets criticizing the narrative played all the endings? wouldn’t be surprised if the some spicier endings were tucked away

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

punished milkman posted:

i wonder if the outlets criticizing the narrative played all the endings? wouldn’t be surprised if the some spicier endings were tucked away

I think IGN mentioned the game was 15 hours with a NG+ that had some extra stuff including multiple endings, branching story paths, new missions, but didn’t really touch on the story in that regard.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

ZeeBoi posted:

I think IGN mentioned the game was 15 hours with a NG+ that had some extra stuff including multiple endings, branching story paths, new missions, but didn’t really touch on the story in that regard.

15 hours? That seems like a far cry from the 50-60 hour figure that From mentioned. I wonder if From's figure is more of an estimate for how long it will take to 100%.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Aug 23, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is that a story run of 15 hours or is the 50 hour run a completionist push with side missions?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I get paid on friday

My body is... not ready but my soul thirsts for the chainsaw and pile bunker.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
The Kotaku review said that they played for 45 hours fwiw

To me, everything is saying "This Armored Core, for better or worse, but it is better than it has ever been", which is fine with me.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

lol even after having it in hand reviewers are split between “it’s not a soulslike” and “it’s a soulslike because it’s hard”

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

Bipedal is the standard, all-rounder. Nothing uniquely positive about them, but also no additional negative factors either. It comes in lightweight, middleweight, and heavyweight varieties, so you have a lot of options depending on what you're looking for, with lighter legs being more mobile at the cost of armor and load limits, while heavier legs being more armored, more stable and have greater load limits at the cost of your mobility.

Reverse-joint legs have supreme jumps, letting you gain massive height easier and are usually some of your best choices for aerial combat as a result, especially because of their energy efficiency and lighter weight. Not to mention that they're generally faster. They tend to also be more fragile, their load limits aren't super high, not to mention having slightly greater recovery time when they land.

Quad legs (Tetrapod) tend to be lightweight to middlweight legs that give a good mix between mobility and heavy weapons usage. They're generally faster, have decent weight limits, and they allow you to use any back weapons without having to stop and stabilize yourself before firing, which is something that bipedals and reverse joints have to do on any back weapons that aren't missiles and rockets. However, their energy management tends to be shittier, and they're less effective at getting in the air and staying in the air, but in AC6, they do gain the ability to stop in midair and hover around at no energy cost, which can be very useful.

Tank legs are the heaviest leg types. They have the best load limits, they have the best armor, the best stability, and they allow you to use any back weapons without having to stop and stabilize yourself. They also don't allow you to bring a booster part with you, instead forcing you to use whatever built-in booster the legs come with, which are not great. They'll get the job done, but you generally can't expect too much more than that. Their speed is generally trash, along with their general mobility. Great for eating a ton of punishment and dishing it out in return. But if you need to be getting somewhere in a real hurry, or if you're hoping to fly upwards, it's the worst out of all the leg types.

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
I wonder if there is an isshin sword saint level masochism final boss

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Reading reviews criticizing the storytelling and questioning where those complaints were in the past however-many souls games that have virtually none (overt, at least).

I suppose you can't equip a missile launcher in AC6 that says "in the days of yore, a glint of white [etc]"

Looks like the campaign is 20-30 hours on average.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Zodack posted:

Reading reviews criticizing the storytelling and questioning where those complaints were in the past however-many souls games that have virtually none (overt, at least).

I suppose you can't equip a missile launcher in AC6 that says "in the days of yore, a glint of white [etc]"

It’s funny because the story trailer they put out yesterday is just like a solid minute and a half of MGS/Ace Combat style “Actually war is bad! Haven’t you ever thought about that!?” NPC barks and I’m all loving for it.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

i assume the main issue with AC6's plot vs recent from games is that it's coherent and makes sense instead of being a bunch of vague nonsense that people write their own fan canon for

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Politics in my games?????????

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Orv posted:

It’s funny because the story trailer they put out yesterday is just like a solid minute and a half of MGS/Ace Combat style “Actually war is bad! Haven’t you ever thought about that!?” NPC barks and I’m all loving for it.

The last quote in the official launch trailer is:

"Once something's alive..." [dun dun dun] "it doesn't die easy."

that might be the dumbest "trying to seem meaningful" quote I've ever heard in my life. Hell yeah.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I guess reviewers just didn’t like the powerpoint and radio call narrative style.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

Zodack posted:

It’s pretty hard to criticise a story when there isn’t one. If they added a more direct storyline in this game, I could see how it’s being criticised.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Most of the criticism I've seen isn't about the story, but rather how they tell it: mission briefing slideshows, which aren't particularly engaging, and mid-combat NPC blurbs, which can be easy to miss when you're trying not to die.
It kind of matters when they expect you to side with a faction when choosing missions, which is apparently how the story branches. Not telling the story well detracts from that.

That said, I really don't expect it to matter much.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

giZm posted:

Textures bad when close up in this super fast paced action game, 6.5/10

Ok then!

Jesse, get your poo poo together.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

If AC6 was an Xbox exclusive he would have given it a 10/10

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

ZeeBoi posted:

I guess reviewers just didn’t like the powerpoint and radio call narrative style.

Now I am imagining a wonderful mix up where the power point presentations got swapped with Hitman's.

"Okay 621, we need you to deal with the SUPER COCAINE."

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Section Z posted:

Now I am imagining a wonderful mix up where the power point presentations got swapped with Hitman's.

"Okay 621, we need you to deal with the SUPER COCAINE."

The WAR CRIMES slide is the same in both games though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I hope the final boss is the dude who was talking to you on the radio the entire time and he has some badass mech, and he’s going after you because you suddenly realized you were doing war crimes for the corpos and are a rogue element that is too badass to be stopped by anyone else.

…poo poo, it’s gonna be that, isn’t it.