Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Cartoon Man posted:

I love that they got the actor who played one of the subordinate doctors on House (in the later seasons) to be the head guy at the ship factory. I always liked that dude.

Peter Jacobson. He also had a bunch of memorable appearances on Law & Order as a defense attorney (Randy Dworkin), and was in an episode of Scrubs as a patient who dies under their care, and probably a billion other little things just like this.

fartknocker fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Aug 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

exmarx posted:

i like the dark jedi characters

Maybe it's because he has such a Grandpa / Santa Claus / Ron Swanson vibe, but I really like Baylon. It feels like there's a redemption arc waiting somewhere along the way.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
jesus did those droids have loving hydrogen bombs in there

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

ShowTime posted:

Going off the past pages of comments, from release until now, i'm guessing it's really bad and no one wants to say it? i went back as many pages as it takes to get to the premiere and its a lot of "well, they did this" and "wasn't so bad". It's like a lot making excuses and trying to find a redeeming quality in a series thats been out for, like 3 hours. Should I even bother watching? Your comments all the reviews i've ready are just abyssmal. It's looking really bad. I wanna ignore the reviews and make my own judgement, but your comments in this thread are not making it easy.

Nah, it's not BAD. Obviously we won't know for sure until the whole thing develops, but it's a perfectly fine Star War. Just a little plodding at times and, like I said, Filoni's Rebels universe is very empty. There are plenty of good action scenes and the acting from Sabine, Huyang, Ahsoka, and Baylan is good.

I do agree with whoever said Mary Elizabeth Winstead may have been miscast as Hera. I like the actress, but Hera is portrayed here and in Rebels as kind of a grounded, pragmatic, maternal character and I just don't really buy that from MEW. That role has kind of flipped to Ahsoka, but they're still acting like she should be listening to Hera's advice and if you haven't seen Rebels I can imagine being confused as to why a super-powerful Jedi is constantly consulting this rando general.

edit: Ahsoka is supposed to be around 45 years old and Hera is around 38. Which is pretty close to the actual actresses' ages.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

At first from a distance I thought it was Tony Shaloub with a buzzcut but quickly realized who the slimy guy was.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
This morning I realized just how spoiled I was by Andor. I really liked having new characters (who were fleshed out characters, to boot), new planets and worlds I had never been to before, plus the fact that the shower really didn't need you to have consumed that much Star Wars media beforehand. But now it's back to the usual - seeing a lot of the same faces and places over and over again, making, a large galaxy feel weirdly small. That, and all the backstory we've built up from the past shows that these characters have already appeared in makes it feel a little heavy already off the bat. Again, it's a pretty drat big galaxy - not everyone and everything necessarily needs to be connected. We can have stories in new places with new, or at least new-ish people. And we now know that we can tell good stories in this world without ever having to refer to Jedi or the force.

I'm not saying this won't be fun - it's more that it's a little hard watching these shows when I know that more is definitely possible. I'll keep up with the episodes for now, though at the moment it'll mostly be out of the hope that I will get to see even more Chopper scenes.

IBroughttheFunk fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Aug 23, 2023

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
There's an odd thread from the end of the second episode I was curious about; The Eye's technology inside the ship is... different. Not bad, or wrong, but there's a style to Star Wars technology that's consistent across the board even between Imperial and Republic tech, and while they're clearly plugging in whatever they can to a degree, that hologram system isn't... normal and the general look of the interior's quite unique as well. I'm probably reading too much into it, but has that fancy particle-y hologram appearance turned up anywhere else? Clone Wars etc?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I feel like it's a little telling that the character who seems to be getting the most universal praise, baylan, is one of the few genuinely new ones

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's an odd thread from the end of the second episode I was curious about; The Eye's technology inside the ship is... different. Not bad, or wrong, but there's a style to Star Wars technology that's consistent across the board even between Imperial and Republic tech, and while they're clearly plugging in whatever they can to a degree, that hologram system isn't... normal and the general look of the interior's quite unique as well. I'm probably reading too much into it, but has that fancy particle-y hologram appearance turned up anywhere else? Clone Wars etc?

The design language is very reminiscent of how Chiss technology is described in the books if I’m remembering correctly

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It always kind of blew my mind that Star Wars* was set in a single galaxy (far far away, a long time ago) and the kind of casual reveal that they're going to another galaxy presumably this season felt like it should have been a bigger deal?

* Star Trek too, I know galaxies are REALLY loving BIG so it's silly to feel like the respective series are limiting themselves, but it does make me think about how much else is going on in the universe completely unrelated to the big stuff like "The Force" which supposedly makes up and surrounds and is part of EVERYTHING.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Looks like witch tech.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
But yeah.

Like This show is good so far. Like Mando Season 1 was good.

Andor is literally like the best genre TV I've ever seen. Comparing poo poo to Andor is a fools errand, as like it goes toe to toe with some of the best individual seasons of TV ever.

This show so far has been fun star wars. It's not anything special yet, but like it at least feels like it has characters interacting and being characters vs just vehicles for the plot. Which is something that Boba Fett, and everything but a few scenes of Obi-Wan, and most of Season 3 of Mando couldn't clear.

Like have high expectations if you want, but if Andor is the bar you are looking to clear, you are setting yourself up to be disappointed with like 80-90% of TV shows.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Oh also I don't think it's a ship, it'll be a Hypergate. Something to throw open and let Thrawn arrive in through.

Jerusalem posted:

It always kind of blew my mind that Star Wars* was set in a single galaxy (far far away, a long time ago) and the kind of casual reveal that they're going to another galaxy presumably this season felt like it should have been a bigger deal?

* Star Trek too, I know galaxies are REALLY loving BIG so it's silly to feel like the respective series are limiting themselves, but it does make me think about how much else is going on in the universe completely unrelated to the big stuff like "The Force" which supposedly makes up and surrounds and is part of EVERYTHING.

I think everyone's holding a blaster with a hair-trigger to the head of this show, listening for the syllable "Yuu" to be uttered in the Vong wrong way.

We all remember what happened the last time another galaxy was introduced...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

We all remember what happened the last time another galaxy was introduced...

I don't! ....what happened? :ohdear:

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Jerusalem posted:

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

There's so much other baggage involved that it gets dragged down, but I think the old EU did this single aspect pretty well. Even with star wars technology reaching another galaxy was an enormously difficult effort of multiple generations, and the people from the other galaxy were so deeply alien that it was a believably huge challenge to understand them.

Going there instantaneously through what is shaping up to be a marvel portal in the sky instead is a pretty good symbol of where we're at with disney wars. Hopefully they can pull out some surprises but I feel like where it is going is pretty predictable (thrawn is oppressing whatever species there, ezra joined them and is their hero, etc etc)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jerusalem posted:

New Jedi Order and the Yuuzhan Vong.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Was that guy hoping to kill Vader by making him laugh so much his respirator couldn't keep up? :shepface:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh it's something from the books apparently?

Didn't Knights of the Old Republic 2 say Revan from the first game went to another galaxy too? Then they never made a third game so :shrug:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Aug 23, 2023

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I am going to literally guffaw if they bring the Vong into this.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Trip report after the first 2 episodes:

I have not seen any of the animated series stuff, I vaguely know who Thrawn is since I read this thread, and I felt like the show made the premise pretty clear. Get the band back together, see if our bassist is still alive somewhere, and a huge Empire rear end in a top hat might be hiding out, let's git'im. I don't really care about anyone in our main cast yet since I've only seen Ahsoka in Mando and she was a bit of a rude lady there (I know, I know, standard Jedi aloofness, etc.), but I didn't think any of them were bad characters per se, either. The cat... Creature wasn't very cute, but Chopper was okay with their tiny t-rex arms. Top cuteness award so far goes to the droid in one of the traffic cop ships though, little thing was so scared :ohdear:

Cartoon Man posted:

I love that they got the actor who played one of the subordinate doctors on House (in the later seasons) to be the head guy at the ship factory. I always liked that dude.

I thought it was funny that the first episode had 2 actors who were baddies in Shawshank.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

CornHolio posted:

I am going to literally guffaw if they bring the Vong into this.
I can take a lot with my Star Wars.

But introducing the Yuuzhan Vong is where I leave.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The plot was definitely not hard to understand without cartoon background. The emotional aspect I think was most missing some backfill for new entries, and to be fair maybe they will explore it later, is what was so great about ezra.

As an outsider, from what little we saw of him in eg his hologram he seemed pretty generic to me :shrug:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I also take a lot of offense by how they keep referencing Ahsoka as a former Jedi Knight. Even the opening scrawl mentioned it.

She is no Jedi.

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

Jerusalem posted:

Was that guy hoping to kill Vader by making him laugh so much his respirator couldn't keep up? :shepface:

Oh it's something from the books apparently?

Didn't Knights of the Old Republic 2 say Revan from the first game went to another galaxy too? Then they never made a third game so :shrug:

I think that was a lovely character from the lovely Young Jedi Knights books who just randomly shows up in a lovely New Jedi Order novel as Prince or Lord something or the other, who is introduced like a video game mini boss for Jacen Solo or someone to kill. I wish I could get those hours of my life back reading about the bad Cenobite fan fiction that is the Yuuzhan Vong.

Edit : except for the time Corran? murked a YV through the eye by pressing the ‘double lightsaber length’ button. That was pretty cool.

Also getting Yuuzhan Vong vibes from the key in this show, which might as well be the Hellraiser cube in sphere form.

As for the episodes themselves, they were in sore need of editing. It felt like 1.5 hours of content padded out to 2, like they couldn’t quite fit a single episode and so had to add extra dead seconds of actors standing around doing nothing, and added dead space between dialogue to the point where it felt like they were forgetting lines. Or maybe everyone but Sabine and Huyang were phoning it in, who knows.

Goreld fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Aug 23, 2023

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CornHolio posted:

I also take a lot of offense by how they keep referencing Ahsoka as a former Jedi Knight. Even the opening scrawl mentioned it.

She is no Jedi.

To be fair, Luke never officially got his Masters' Degree but he's strutting around all,"I'm a Jedi Master" because there's nobody left around who can say he's not qualified. Take THAT, dad!

Well, I mean, Yoda could force project and tell him off, but he probably finds the whole thing too funny to interrupt his afterlife of chilling and watching people gently caress everything up.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
I do love the little EU deep cuts Filoni drops in.

Eye of Sion, anyone?

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

The only Star Wars book I’ve read was actually the incredibly lovely Revan book chronicling this adventure, and IIRC he just went deep into uncharted parts of the outer rim, not another galaxy.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Jerusalem posted:

No, that was this guy

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I mean, I loved everything about it, but it was definitely a slow build up prologue. That's fine, though. I can wait. I'm having a great time. As everyone has been saying, it's definitely Rebel season 5, but I love Rebels, so I have no problem with that, personally. I want to hear more from people who didn't watch Rebels, though.

Couple quick notes, Sabine literally says that she doesn't have Ezra's skills or "talents". I don't think she can use the Force.

I like that Sabine didn't want to celebrate with everyone else, because to her it's not a day of celebration, it's the anniversary of the day she lost a dear friend. That felt real.

A few people pointed out that the Inquisitor should be "someone", because otherwise why would he have a mask? But like, that's not exactly rare for the Inquisitors. I know the 8th Brother never took off his mask. Most of them had "who gives a poo poo" backgrounds. Like, maybe he's someone important, or maybe he's just a new character who is a leftover Inquisitor looking for a "new beginning", as Baylan said.

Ray Stevenson loving killing it. Gone too soon. The actress playing Shin is doing great as well. Commands the screen anytime she shows up.

I agree that the interior of the Eye of Sion at the end of episode 2 looks...off. Way different design than we've seen before, including the holograms. Could be a Nightsister thing, have we seen one of their ships before? I forget. Could be Chiss. But I do think (preview talk) that's the ship we see Thrawn walking in from the trailer, the one shot where we only saw the back of his head?

I think it's the same one? Or at least very similar?

That's all I can think of right now, but I'm sure I'll think of more.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 23, 2023

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think I faded out of the cartoons before I had a chance to get to the meat of these characters.

Overall the pacing in the first episode was really distracting, to the point where I was checking my phone during some of the more drawn out lulls. Second episode definitely felt tighter. Nothing to put me off watching from here on out.

Acting was hit or miss, but I think some of that was a bit of cheese writing and the actors doing the best with what they had.

I didn't really buy Sabine and Ahsoka's return to the jedi pair dynamic... It felt really abrupt and unearned, but I get that they have to get on with the plot in a limited-episode TV series so they can't just stretch out the personal reflection and soul searching for ages. By no means do I think that the fact Sabine is padawan again is the end of that particular plot and they'll poke and prod at it though the whole run with teeithing issues and "was this a good idea" on both sides -- it's the whole "ok I'm ready to be trained again" that felt jarring. Would I have written it differently? Maybe I would have had Sabine just go along to help and over the arc become more comfortable with being a Jedi padawan until the season finale when she declares her readiness. But I'm not paid a pittance of a bottom dollar to write for D+ so it's all armchair quarterbacking..

It's fine, I'm excited for next week.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Oh, and I agree, any talk of "another galaxy" in Star Wars makes me very nervous.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
A galaxy far, far away.

Or the next one.

Scratch that, maybe the galaxy after the next galaxy.

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

some kinda jackal posted:

I think I faded out of the cartoons before I had a chance to get to the meat of these characters.

Overall the pacing in the first episode was really distracting, to the point where I was checking my phone during some of the more drawn out lulls. Second episode definitely felt tighter. Nothing to put me off watching from here on out.

Acting was hit or miss, but I think some of that was a bit of cheese writing and the actors doing the best with what they had.

I didn't really buy(stuff)
It's fine, I'm excited for next week.

I felt like a lot of the acting was actually pretty listless. Maybe the lines were cheesy, but if you’re someone who feels abandoned and/or abandoned someone, and feels guilt over someone’s death, conversations are not ‘both people casually talking at each other with normal eye contact’ delivery. A real person would likely either be very avoidant in conversation or show some sort of emotion. Maybe the direction is for Ahsoka to be a more emotionless jaded master of the arts, or maybe Rosario was trying to have a 50 yard stare, but it felt more like she was just talking at a cardboard box with a bored stare. The only facial expression she made was a grimace when chopping a droid in half.

Then again, maybe it was just the awkward delay between exchanges in dialogue. If you have beef with someone or survivors guilt you’re not going to carefully consider words for 3 seconds before replying. Or at least it seemed that way to me.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

ShowTime posted:

A galaxy far, far away.

Or the next one.

Scratch that, maybe the galaxy after the next galaxy.

Hmmm... They've covered 'a long time ago' with introducing time travel, and they've covered 'a galaxy far away' now by introducing other galaxies... maybe they're going to do Star Wars: The Voyage Home?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

CornHolio posted:

Hmmm... They've covered 'a long time ago' with introducing time travel, and they've covered 'a galaxy far away' now by introducing other galaxies... maybe they're going to do Star Wars: The Voyage Home?

Finding Earth may be the one thing that would make me walk away from Star Wars. And I'm sure I'm not alone in that. I really hope they're not that dumb.

Please don't be that dumb.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Show going to open a scene on Thrawn studying some cave paintings to understand the local neaderthals

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Thrawn and Caprica-Six walking around a shopping mall in modern day US

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

ShowTime posted:

Going off the past pages of comments, from release until now, i'm guessing it's really bad and no one wants to say it? i went back as many pages as it takes to get to the premiere and its a lot of "well, they did this" and "wasn't so bad". It's like a lot making excuses and trying to find a redeeming quality in a series thats been out for, like 3 hours. Should I even bother watching? Your comments all the reviews i've ready are just abyssmal. It's looking really bad. I wanna ignore the reviews and make my own judgement, but your comments in this thread are not making it easy.

It's good to very good, but it's not great. Everybody seems to have been getting more and more into it as the two episodes progressed. I do agree that this was an extended - and slow - prologue to a season with only 8 episodes, which strikes me as a bad idea. By this point in Obi-Wan, we knew we were in or a rough ride. Here we can see a lot of poo poo is going to go down over the next six episodes. It could suck, but we're all going to be sitting down to ep 3 with drinks and snacks, ready for a ride.

Two other things. I think the big ring thing is designed to move something medium-sized really, really fast. It has hyperspace ring vibes, not gate vibes.

For Hera, I'm getting a sense of a pulp heroine from a serial set in the 40s. That's a bit of a different tone from everyone else, so it stands out as awkward. We'll see how it goes. Sabine's portrayal started a little rough, so here's hoping Hera's picks up too.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Goreld posted:

As for the episodes themselves, they were in sore need of editing. It felt like 1.5 hours of content padded out to 2, like they couldn’t quite fit a single episode and so had to add extra dead seconds of actors standing around doing nothing, and added dead space between dialogue to the point where it felt like they were forgetting lines. Or maybe everyone but Sabine and Huyang were phoning it in, who knows.

Yeah this was my gripe too. I love a slow build, but this just felt like every scene had a ton of dead air for no real reason. There's actually plenty of interesting plot/world building/characterization in these two episodes, but it doesn't quite feel like it because all the long pauses make it feel super padded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Gonna go ahead and say that was Sy Snootles singing that Star Wars punk song.