Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I do agree that Ahsoka is much less approachable to someone who hadn’t seen Clone Wars/Rebels then say Andor would be to someone who never watched Rogue One. I’m just saying they never really tried to hide this fact prior to the show’s release

ShowTime posted:

It's not a "you" problem. It's a lazy writing problem.

And my Disney+ subscription doesn't come with a follow to their Twitter. I didn't know I needed to watch everything Star Wars to get into this show.

All the news regarding it was also posted in this very thread as it came out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

ShowTime posted:

It's not a "you" problem. It's a lazy writing problem.

And my Disney+ subscription doesn't come with a follow to their Twitter. I didn't know I needed to watch everything Star Wars to get into this show.

Eh, don't bother. No one here seems to give a poo poo that we're saying whatever emotional investment the show is asking you to have for events I don't know poo poo about, is nonexistent for our segment of the audience.

Why don't you go watch 7 seasons of a thing first is a lame reply.

This isn't really a discussion thread at this point, I'll revist this when the entire thing is done I guess

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Anyway, was there ever any other extra-galactical stuff in the EU other than the Yuuzhan Vong?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Anyway, was there ever any other extra-galactical stuff in the EU other than the Yuuzhan Vong?

The only thing I can think of is at the very end of Empire when they're on the medical frigate and you can see the galaxy out the window, but that wasn't really explicit or even explained at all.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

drunkill posted:

Also Purgil sighting in the first second episode, flying in the clouds when Baylon looks up at the starmap altar location [edit: 5:20 in episode 2, upper left]

Goddamn, talk about blink and you'll miss it.

I did hear the noise during the episode, but thought it was non-diagetic.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Dexo posted:

It's not a problem particularly, as not liking a show is truly whatever, but yeah if you don't care about the characters or whatever as this is a continuation of characters from the animated series then the show isn't for you.

Which is fine. But yeah Rebels and Bad Batch are some of the best star wars content™ period.

Clone Wars is very hit or Miss but it's highs are up there with Rebels and Andor. It's Lows are very very low lol.

Rebels starts off good, and just gets great by like the last 4 episodes of the first season and just keeps getting better.

I truly recommend watching it.

I see TCW and Rebels as 90% boring, kids show filler, but the actual “progress the plot” episodes are almost all gold. There are probably watch guides that streamline the entirety of both shows into just the good stuff.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
i think the rishi maze and firefist, which are shown in episode 2 (the movie), are dwarf galaxies that orbit the main star wars galaxy so kind of?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Like almost every bit of promotion about this series brought up how it was a continuation of Ahsoka and Sabine's story from Rebels, and how excited Filoni was to bring these characters to live action and blah blah blah.

Cool if you don't like it, as I get it. Everyone has their own opinions. And it's not like I don't have issues with some of it.

But if you've been posting here for like the past half a year in this very thread, whenever Ahsoka came up people were clearly stating that this was a followup to the story and plotlines from Rebels and it would serve someone well to watch it.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
I watched Rebels and it's very fine.

Think of any show for young teens with a brash young special/chosen one/one-of-his-kind/etc. male character who says and does a lot of dumb poo poo while surrounded by a cast of support characters who constantly clean up the sweet special boy's messes and he hits on a far more competent female secondary protagonist in cringe ways.

There are a lot of that kind of show out there and Rebels is not even a particularly great one in the specific genre. But it's not terrible.

koolkal fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Aug 23, 2023

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Larryb posted:

All the news regarding it was also posted in this very thread as it came out

Ahh, neat, only 828 pages and 4 seasons of another show to catch up on.

If they had just called this Rebels Season 5, absolutely no one would have an issue. You get your live-action sequel and I know to either stay away, watch seasons 1-4 or go into this season expecting that things have already happened. But they didn't do that.

I'm still gonna watch because you can't keep me away from Rosario Dawson and Ray Stevenson (RIP homie). And even though I don't know who they are, I at least know that Ezra is important to the good guys and Thrawn is important to the bad guys. I know that after 1000 years (or maybe 1000 years ago?) cats used to have flat faces, but they still purr and meow. I know droids can talk back and flex. And I know the empire is still kind of around and Thrawn might be a part of it.

Ahsoka does seem like a bad rear end. Her side stepping the returning saber was dope as hell.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

3 Action Economist posted:

The only thing I can think of is at the very end of Empire when they're on the medical frigate and you can see the galaxy out the window, but that wasn't really explicit or even explained at all.

I realize space travel in wars of stars just doesn't make any coherent sense, but the scene you're talking about is basically hanging out right next to their galaxy, whereas in this show they're talking about going to another galaxy. The average distance between galaxies in the real world is something like 10 million light years, and the distance between say the Sun and Alpha Centauri is a pinch over 4 LYs. My impression has been that hyper travel takes time rather than being like walking through the titular stargate, say.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Dexo posted:

Like almost every bit of promotion about this series brought up how it was a continuation of Ahsoka and Sabine's story from Rebels, and how excited Filoni was to bring these characters to live action and blah blah blah.

Cool if you don't like it, as I get it. Everyone has their own opinions. And it's not like I don't have issues with some of it.

But if you've been posting here for like the past half a year in this very thread, whenever Ahsoka came up people were clearly stating that this was a followup to the story and plotlines from Rebels and it would serve someone well to watch it.

I don't have any ads for things, and only pop in the thread when things are actually airing to see what other people think. I also only watch the live-action stuff when it comes out. I would wager there are a ton of people in the same boat, who are expecting this to be a follow-up from her other live-action appearance stuff.

As a person coming from that angle, this is pretty clunky so far. Someone else said you get the broad stuff though, which is true, but the emotional/angst stuff falls extremely flat. I learned the missing-in-action guy has jedi ability from this thread, not the show, as an example. If that's what the entire season is, it's going to be on the level of the Boba Fett show for me, entirely forgettable.

I can totally get the hype for people where this is like the 8th chapter of a continuing story, now in a new medium with a budget. I'm not mad at that, not everything is for me..but again, that's not a "me" problem.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

I definitely don't remember the details but there was a book about the old republic trying to send like a giant colony ship to explore one galaxy over and it getting sabotaged. It was connected to the yuuzhan vong and IIRC thrawn in some sort of confusing cross era way, I think luke and mara jade explored the ruins like 50 years later?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

outbound flight, yeah. it's part of the stupid post hoc justifications they came up with approaching the vong era for palpatine and thrawn being bad, they were just trying to make the empire strong to fight this threat nobody was doing anything about!!

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

Stereoscopic Suffocation!
I'm not a huge defender of Filoni, but a lot of these criticisms to me sound like coming out of A New Hope going "Why are Han and Chewie friends and colleagues?? Who the gently caress are they besides 'smugglers'?? Will their history ever be answered??" Like, relax. There are 6 more episodes. Some stuff won't ever matter and what does will actually be able to be articulated when we have the whole season in front of us.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Eh, By like Halfway through Season 2, Ezra pretty much completely stops hitting on Sabine, and in Season 3 and 4, they like are just straight up friends and equals, and treat each other much more like Brother and Sister.

Early on in the series, yeah, that was a bit of a problem, but yeah Ezra grows and changes into a more healthy character as the series goes on(until he goes a little dark sided during Season 3) as he grows from a 14 year old to like a 17-18 year old.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

ShowTime posted:

Ahh, neat, only 828 pages and 4 seasons of another show to catch up on.

Nobody is saying you should watch Rebels to appreciate Ahsoka or even to better appreciate it. You would, but we're saying "watch Rebels" because it's a good show. It gets well past the kid-friendly stuff by the end of the first season, and settles into being a story about people engaged in a rebellion fighting an insurgent campaign.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Way back when it first got mentioned, Thrawn destroying the Outbound Flight project was just a regular old "we shot down some intruders" and that was that.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Sash! posted:

Way back when it first got mentioned, Thrawn destroying the Outbound Flight project was just a regular old "we shot down some intruders" and that was that.

yeah an outbound flight novel came out and thrawn destroys it because it was apparently headed straight for the vong and palpatine was scared it might move up the vong invasion time table if they showed up

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I don't think it's unfair to say that watching a show labeled "Ahsoka: Season 1" and not "Rebels: Season 5" should come with an expectation of being able to jump right in. So telling anyone that's their fault seems childish and wrong.

That being said, I think the show has done just fine so far in laying out the characters and their relationships. They're old friends getting back together. You don't have to have seen their old adventures for that to work. When you see Ocean's 11, it's clear some of them have had adventures before, but we've never seen them, and that's fine, because it explains the characters and their relationships.

The show introduces Ahsoka as a wise mentor Jedi who is still doing secret work for the New Republic, Sabine as a hot head apprentice who is hiding from her past, Hera as the general still very much in the thick of it, Thrawn as the mysterious enemy who will bring about WAR! if brought back, etc. Sure, the show could be enhanced by knowing their backstory, but I don't think it's needed. At least, it hasn't been yet. Ezra's the biggest question mark so far, but he's clearly another friend they thought was dead, and maybe now he can be rescued.

I actually was talking to a neighbor this morning about this while walking ours daughters to school before I had a chance to watch the episodes, but she had. She's not super into Star Wars, hasn't seen any of the cartoons, but has seen all of the live action shows. I told her, "No spoilers, but what did you think?" She said, "I liked it! Good characters. Better than Obi-Wan, so far." She really didn't like Kenobi.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Aug 23, 2023

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

zer0spunk posted:

I can totally get the hype for people where this is like the 8th chapter of a continuing story, now in a new medium with a budget. I'm not mad at that, not everything is for me..but again, that's not a "me" problem.

I explicitly don't think it's a you problem. Well I guess technically more accurate to say it's on you, but it's not a "problem" per say.

As everyone can make their own viewing decisions and opinions on what they are viewing based on their own preferences.

But I do legitimately recommend Rebels, it's really really good. Starts out very kids show, but like by the end of the First season it's firing on all cylinders.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Goreld posted:

Maybe the direction is for Ahsoka to be a more emotionless jaded master of the arts, or maybe Rosario was trying to have a 50 yard stare, but it felt more like she was just talking at a cardboard box with a bored stare. The only facial expression she made was a grimace when chopping a droid in half.

It felt like she was either wearing so much prosthetic makeup she couldn't emote with her face, or had botoxed her face into immobility.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Dexo posted:

I explicitly don't think it's a you problem. Well I guess technically more accurate to say it's on you, but it's not a "problem" per say.

Someone else said it was a "you" problem, which was a silly thing to say.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

drunkill posted:

Plenty of piano in rebels, and Kevin Kiner is back to do the music here, although most of the stuff in these two episodes were the base themes for Ahsoka and Sabine.

Here is one really good track from Rebels, which is mostly strings
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydIaUx84HWs

edit: and a little video about making non-john williams music for rebels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtxExG9QW8c

The Battle of Hoth music from ESB has a piano in it too.

https://youtu.be/nq7OfcXBmUc

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

thrawn527 posted:

Someone else said it was a "you" problem, which was a silly thing to say.

Yes, that was me and I agree it was a bit too far. I apologize and the post has been edited

All the same though, Clone Wars and Rebels are still really good shows in my opinion (in fact I’d say the former is leagues better than the prequels in most aspects) that I’d recommend watching regardless. The Bad Batch (which takes place between the two shows) is also pretty good in its own right

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Aug 23, 2023

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I gave Ahsoka a chance.

It’s more Star Wars. You know: Jedi, Sith, lightsabers, Empire, spaceships, robots, good vs evil. Which is fine. Decent. Except… it’s Star Wars with less charismatic characters and worse pace.
About the pace, look, it’s ok to do a classic Star Wars adventure, not everything should be Andor now, but an important part is how things are always moving in classic Star Wars. Because they were 2 hour adventure flicks! But you aren’t going to do a good ‘turnoffyourbrain’ space adventure if you stretch the pace up to a 8 hour series (without a plot or events that justify that), or whatever this is.

But perhaps the first point is more important, man the main characters are such a bore. I don’t see any of that naive but bold and valiant Luke, or cynic and smartass Han, or plucky and witty Leia in them. It’s ‘longfaces’ the show.

There are a pair of silly things I could complain (why again the map was stored in an ancient ruins? the map itself had a few years, it wasn’t an ancient artifact! also, I didn’t like the outfit of the general, I really thought she looked like a pilot) but they are ultimately minor in comparison to the previous.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I don't have anything against the cartoons, but I definitely burned out on watching them because going through so many seasons of so many series just felt like a part time job I wasn't being paid to do. I thought they were fine and well written and mostly fun but at some point I was like "man, I'm sitting on this couch watching star wars for hours a day and I'm going insane".

I guess it would be cool to have a curated list of episodes that introduce all the relevant info you might want to have to appreciate Ahsoka. That said, I'm also presuming these are established arcs so we're talking about either watching episodes out of context (which is probably annoying if you want to know what's going on) or we're talking about binging entire seasons again (which is why I stopped in the first place)

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Turin Turambar posted:

There are a pair of silly things I could complain (why again the map was stored in an ancient ruins? the map itself had a few years, it wasn’t an ancient artifact! also, I didn’t like the outfit of the general, I really thought she looked like a pilot) but they are ultimately minor in comparison to the previous.

the way i explained this to my gf when she asked the same question is that the pope is in rome and there's tons of ancient maps to where rome is, which is also a map to the pope

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Goreld posted:

I felt like a lot of the acting was actually pretty listless. Maybe the lines were cheesy, but if you’re someone who feels abandoned and/or abandoned someone, and feels guilt over someone’s death, conversations are not ‘both people casually talking at each other with normal eye contact’ delivery. A real person would likely either be very avoidant in conversation or show some sort of emotion. Maybe the direction is for Ahsoka to be a more emotionless jaded master of the arts, or maybe Rosario was trying to have a 50 yard stare, but it felt more like she was just talking at a cardboard box with a bored stare. The only facial expression she made was a grimace when chopping a droid in half.

Then again, maybe it was just the awkward delay between exchanges in dialogue. If you have beef with someone or survivors guilt you’re not going to carefully consider words for 3 seconds before replying. Or at least it seemed that way to me.

I think this is the current limit of Filoni and I guess whoever is directing the various episodes.

With Filoni you can tell he's been writing animation for most of his career.

Like in Animation, you can get away with this pacing in writing because the animators will often have the characters do a bit of an exaggerated reaction or other animation to get their thoughts across, in a way that is hard to do in live action without either being incredibly talented, or overacting.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

zer0spunk posted:

I learned the missing-in-action guy has jedi ability from this thread, not the show, as an example.

Sabine uses Ezra's sabre and talks about his great ability in the hospital.

I'll admit it's a bit amusing seeing people ultimately just being upset that they never watched Rebels. Like we tried to tell y'all.

I think Ahsoka stands on its own legs so far, but I recognize that I'm also enjoying it greatly because of the familiarity.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Turin Turambar posted:

why again the map was stored in an ancient ruins? the map itself had a few years, it wasn’t an ancient artifact!

I know you said it was a silly complaint, but I want to talk about it for a second. I think it actually is an ancient artifact. I don't think it's explicitly a "Map to Thrawn". I think it's an "Ancient map to that other galaxy", and Morgan knows Thrawn is in that galaxy. Now, how she knows he's in that galaxy, I don't really know. I know she said Thrawn is talking to her, or reaching out to her, or whatever, but that seems a bit weird and off. But either way, I don't think the map has only been around a few years. The ruins, and the...platform? they place the map on both seemed very old, so I think this has been around for a while. Morgan just knows Thrawn is there, and is using the device to find out how to get there, and therefore to Thrawn.

edit:

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

the way i explained this to my gf when she asked the same question is that the pope is in rome and there's tons of ancient maps to where rome is, which is also a map to the pope

Or you could just say it like this, which is way easier and takes way fewer words.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

CornHolio posted:

I also take a lot of offense by how they keep referencing Ahsoka as a former Jedi Knight. Even the opening scrawl mentioned it.

She is no Jedi.

I feel like this era of Ahsoka has kind of slipped back into being comfortable with being a Jedi, since she's willing to train Sabine and briefly considered training Grogu before realizing he loved his dad too much for that poo poo.

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

Turin Turambar posted:

also, I didn’t like the outfit of the general, I really thought she looked like a pilot)

Being a pilot is her defining characteristic, so it does make a lot of sense. But they never mention that, so valid criticism for the "I shouldn't have to watch Rebels" people.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I have some mild faith that if there's something in the backstory that I don't understand that they'll try to at least give me some awkward exposition at SOME point in this season. Might not be right away, but I'm pretty chill about it.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

thrawn527 posted:

I know you said it was a silly complaint, but I want to talk about it for a second. I think it actually is an ancient artifact. I don't think it's explicitly a "Map to Thrawn". I think it's an "Ancient map to that other galaxy", and Morgan knows Thrawn is in that galaxy. Now, how she knows he's in that galaxy, I don't really know. I know she said Thrawn is talking to her, or reaching out to her, or whatever, but that seems a bit weird and off. But either way, I don't think the map has only been around a few years. The ruins, and the...platform? they place the map on both seemed very old, so I think this has been around for a while. Morgan just knows Thrawn is there, and is using the device to find out how to get there, and therefore to Thrawn.

Ancient maps are nothing new to me in this universe I know. They did it with the sith thing in the last movie.

Snowmanatee posted:

Being a pilot is her defining characteristic, so it does make a lot of sense. But they never mention that, so valid criticism for the "I shouldn't have to watch Rebels" people.

Pilots being generals are also not a new thing to me. They did it with Oscar Isaac. He was a great pilot that eventually went on to lead.

Also I realize now that you all are gonna hate me because my Star Wars universe knowledge is almost entirely based on movies and the live action shows. But hey, at least I can bring a different perspective. And to be fair, 90% of the audience is probably just like me. We watch the movies, we got a Disney+ subscription to watch the live action shows they've sold us on for years, etc.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

ShowTime posted:

Pilots being generals are also not a new thing to me. They did it with Oscar Isaac. He was a great pilot that eventually went on to lead.

Also, General Solo in Return of the Jedi.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I mean the thing is, clearly part of the MO with this show is moving pieces around on the board to set up the tv show crossover movie they announced. That movie needs as wide a tent as possible. In that light it's a bit surprising that this show is preaching to the choir of cartoon people as much as it is.

Again this is not so much in an understanding what's happening way, but in an understanding why I should care way. Especially when the sequel trilogy is hanging over all these events saying they didn't really particularly matter

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

thrawn527 posted:

Also, General Solo in Return of the Jedi.

I almost mentioned Han but decided against it. But yea, pilots being generals is kind of a fitting in-universe thing. I had 0 issues with that.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Hera is one of the highest ranking members of the Rebellion and just always wears her flight suit and will still fly missions, even in Rebels. She just loving loves flying.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I feel like this era of Ahsoka has kind of slipped back into being comfortable with being a Jedi, since she's willing to train Sabine and briefly considered training Grogu before realizing he loved his dad too much for that poo poo.

Sorta, I think she outright refused to train Grogu, which is why she sent him to Luuke(this show actually explains why she doesn't want to train him at all).

Ahsoka seems to still be like conflicted about the whole Jedi thing. Like I don't think she considers herself a Jedi, but like she was indoctrinated as a kid into a religious order who raised her. It's going to shape how she lives her life. And she is still holding on to the guilt of walking away from Anakin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

I like the idea that the map is some ancient space whale migratory path. You can see space whale iconography in the holographic map.

For those that don't know from Rebels, space whales that can travel through hyperspace are what took Thrawn and Ezra to the other galaxy.