Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
My favorite DVD menu was This is Spinal Tap where they’re all befuddled by DVDs and they’re trying to explain it to the viewer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

One of the few DVDs I actively don't want to replace with a Blu-ray is the original Borat film because of the way it's designed to look like a bootleg both on the disc and outside. Blu-ray would spoil the joke.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

https://twitter.com/AEW/status/1694046782806712590?s=19

For wrestling fans, this is absolutely awesome. Unlike WWE, AEW hadn't put any of their major shows on physical yet. Very very cool to see them jumping into the game.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

4k for Argento's Opera announced, coming from Severin. The real question is, which label will eventually put out Giallo on UHD? I would have said Code Red or Scorpion, but both those dudes are dead, so I guess Kino maybe... It kind of sucks and at times is borderline unwatchable, so that fits in with 99% of Vinegar Syndrome's releases.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

How has Severin's webstore been the past year? I remember they changed their hosting recently.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Lumbermouth posted:

How has Severin's webstore been the past year? I remember they changed their hosting recently.
Buttery smooth for the last, like, two or three sales.

Getting them to send you your poo poo though, that's another thing (where's my Last Horror Film, Severin? :argh: ).

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

They've seemed a lot better to me.

Last sale I was able to place.an order with no hiccups.

Of course their shipping is still a bit rough.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Terror Vision Tuesday announcements:

Night of the Bastard
The Head

https://twitter.com/terror_vision/status/1694017177840411074?s=20

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

ultraviolence123 posted:

4k for Argento's Opera announced, coming from Severin. The real question is, which label will eventually put out Giallo on UHD? I would have said Code Red or Scorpion, but both those dudes are dead, so I guess Kino maybe... It kind of sucks and at times is borderline unwatchable, so that fits in with 99% of Vinegar Syndrome's releases.

The new Kino Cult sublabel is apparently going to be the new outlet for Code Red and Scorpion stuff.

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008
A 4k would be nice but...

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1694354976426914289?t=EtqycL6UeNpOZYpTtHuPSQ&s=19

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Oh that's an instant buy.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Need that in 4K tho.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Chris James 2 posted:

Night of the Bastard
The Head

Haha, holy poo poo, Michael got his movie on Terror Vision? :lol:

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

https://twitter.com/thirdwindow/status/1693986631341273403?t=pA03kXx1KgQq2R9XaCGw7w&s=19

A friend of mine swears by this movie and it's region free... sorely tempted to blind buy.

This is giving off heavy Survive Style 5 vibes, ima have to check it out.

Chris James 2 posted:

Night of the Bastard
The Head

This looks pretty bad. I can't do these ultra low budget, shot on VHS releases. Back in the BTB days someone kept posting found footage compilations of like weird poo poo dubbed off TV stations, and that's about as far as I can go with the genre. Still, kinda neat there's an entire audience for this kinda stuff now.

I finally checked out Junk Head
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2ygfn-WqF8
There's a new region A release with english subs. Looks great, subs are solid too. I know this existed in other regions for a while, but I was never sure if those had subs or not. Like mad god, I don't think this will see a UHD release so this is probably the best it'll get.
Seems to be available at all the main retailers (no slip, no fancy anything, just a BD amray with a making of bonus)

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Aug 23, 2023

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I'm in the audience for that stuff, that looks wild and entertaining. I love that SoV releases are finally becoming available

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

dorium posted:

Need that in 4K tho.

Walk Hard is an early digital film, and it’s only at 2k resolution.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Cemetry Gator posted:

Walk Hard is an early digital film, and it’s only at 2k resolution.

There's a decent number of upscale UHDs from things with 2k DIs. Plus people like me that skipped the HD version in the first place would be in the market for a copy (with the HD version included usually anyway)

Looking at my UHD collection, I think I have 3 total titles that are upscales though, but I'm buying movies from 2000 and older for the most part. Looking at places like reddit or social media UHD groups, most people own mostly modern movies and they don't seem to mind

also, if inland empire and its lovely DV format could get a decent HD upscale, I think anything is possible now

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I would love a 4K Walk Hard and agreed that Inland Empire's upscale kinda swung me over to being OK with upscales if they're done well. Incredible how IE looks on the Criterion release IMO.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

A good upscale would be nice, but I am glad that the steelbook looks so drat pretty.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
For the most part if I'm buying a UHD it's a movie that I don't already own a blu ray for, in which case I really don't mind an upscale. I tend to read reviews and once in a while you'll find out that a particular transfer is complete poo poo but for the most part upscales are still gonna be the best version of the movie that's available, even if it's marginal.

For double dipping on upgrades of stuff I already own, yea upscales are usually a no-go. Usually.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
If it's native 2k i have no problem with it being 2k. I am extremely all over that Steelbook and will grudgingly go to Walmart for it. Glad I dragged my feet on getting the old Blu.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

It's been two years but it feels like it's time

https://twitter.com/diabolikdvd/status/1694384063266578487?s=20
https://twitter.com/ArrowFilmsVideo/status/1694353443601723714

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Oh man pleaseeee

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Prey 4K pre-orders are live. Put in mine for the Steelbook from BBY. After a relative drought for me, I’m Day 1ing a lot in the coming month. Lot of blind buys too, including my Hackers UHD. Gonna be a good fall.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Has the fugitive 4k gone up yet? Couldn't find a link last time I checked.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Kingtheninja posted:

Has the fugitive 4k gone up yet? Couldn't find a link last time I checked.

Not yet in the US. A French site listed it earlier in the week with it having a late-November release date, so it should be available for preorder soon here

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Shoot ‘Em Up 4k when

Although I’d say it shouldn’t be in 4k bc the cgi effects are hideous but the movie owns so who cares

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

CelticPredator posted:

Shoot ‘Em Up 4k when

Although I’d say it shouldn’t be in 4k bc the cgi effects are hideous but the movie owns so who cares

I'm going to need the complete giamatti library starting with Private Parts

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://twitter.com/jeremylovesyall/status/1694747706554823164?s=20

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
That's cool because The Empty Man was one of those movies that felt like a pretty big red flag for where media was headed. Didn't seem like it was gonna get a physical release, and wasn't really available for streaming anywhere except on Amazon where you couldn't even rent it, you had to buy it. Felt like it was destined to almost be sort of a "lost" film in 10 or 15 years once it eventually disappeared from Amazon Video.

It does seem like the worm is turning a little bit on this stuff, we've talked about a few different signs of that in recent months.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I don't buy a lot of new releases but I think I'll get empty man (on sale)

Jack Bandit
Feb 6, 2005
Shit, I'm a free man and I haven't had a conjugal visit in six months
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but the replies make it sound like it’s not real.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Muppets Take Manhattan 4K announced by Sony. Never actually saw that one and I’m sure it’s fine but I just want my drat The Muppet Movie on a UHD. At least this is one step closer!

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Boywhiz88 posted:

Muppets Take Manhattan 4K announced by Sony. Never actually saw that one and I’m sure it’s fine but I just want my drat The Muppet Movie on a UHD. At least this is one step closer!

Luckily enough the only other one owned by Sony and now has a possible chance of UHD if this one sells; Muppets In Space. I saw that thing in theaters and it's incredibly cute/charming..plus a killer funk soundtrack for some reason.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Yeah I feel like if that Empty Man was real people would be completely losing their poo poo like the ending of In the Mouth of Madness but absolutely no one else is talking about it.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/jeremylovesyall/status/1694750312668725754?s=20

He can get hosed

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Jack Bandit posted:

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but the replies make it sound like it’s not real.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
This on the other hand arrived from Amazon today and i can assure you, it and the poster are very very real

Scalpers can go :fuckoff:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I got the Metalocalypse movie earlier this week. I laughed because it also had a poster, and used that exact sticker too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I also got a good pickup from Amazon today :)

I saw the movie and immediately had to get my hands on a physical.