Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

daslog posted:

Probably, but we should wait for the official investigation from Moscow before we jump to conclusions.

Why

Actual serious question: what value do you put on waiting for moscow's take on the assassination?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

FuturePastNow posted:

flat spin and smoking is 100% hit by a missile

That or...

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Staluigi posted:

Why

Actual serious question: what value do you put on waiting for moscow's take on the assassination?

Pretty sure that was a joke.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It is okay it was just an accident. He fell down an elevator. Onto some bullets.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

So I've been seeing reports that he's listed on the passenger list but no reports of witnesses seeing him board the plane from wherever it took off from?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
The most extreme case of window sickness ever.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

This feels like a theatrical payback for all the aircraft Wagner shot down during their march to Moscow. There's no way it was a mechanical failure, the missile was the point.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Joyfully imagining that it really was a totally coincidental accident, and absolutely nobody on Earth will believe as much.

Rip Big Prig

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Good riddance.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Blorange posted:

This feels like a theatrical payback for all the aircraft Wagner shot down during their march to Moscow. There's no way it was a mechanical failure, the missile was the point.

Also Solovyov was just harping on the aircrew death last night

at the time it looked like criticism of Putin, which was very uncharacteristic of him, but perhaps he knew something in advance

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

Jiro posted:

So I've been seeing reports that he's listed on the passenger list but no reports of witnesses seeing him board the plane from wherever it took off from?

The witnesses got on the plane too.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Jiro posted:

if this is a repeat of the airstrike and prigozhin keeps stumbling through one obvious assassination attempt after another until the ministry of defense pulls a rasputin and invites him to a party full of poisened food and knives, which still fail to kill him

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Prigozhin says hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Moon Slayer posted:

There's a big splash of smoke in the air around where it looks like it started falling so I would certainly put my money on an explosion of some kind.
It might have been an explosive loaded on to the plane rather than a missile.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The funny thing is this just means that the next coup leader won't back down when his coup starts actually working

If the semi-coups became a regular thing you've probably lost anyway I guess

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Deltasquid posted:

Belgian media are reporting that Prigozhin made a new video, claiming to be in Africa.

https://www.vrt.be/vrtnws/nl/2023/08/22/prigozjin-afrika/

Guess he isn’t banished to Belarus after all

I’m skeptical Prigo died, because of this. Did he fly from Africa to Moscow today? Or was this a video filmed some time in the past?

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Breaking: Russia finally delivers ammunition to Wagner leadership

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Deltasquid posted:

I’m skeptical Prigo died, because of this. Did he fly from Africa to Moscow today? Or was this a video filmed some time in the past?

It's going to be pretty hilarious if Prigozin makes a "proof of life" video after this.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Charliegrs posted:

It's going to be pretty hilarious if Prigozin makes a "proof of life" video after this.

Like in the British Sherlock series.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.
Couldn’t have happened to a nicer guy.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Prigozin to the ground

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008
Why would NATO do this?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1694433884853727699

Probably going to have to think of a more long term solution than that...

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
To prevent formation of United States of Africa, of course. Anyway, interesting context:

https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1694424987023876365#m

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Chalks posted:

https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1694433884853727699

Probably going to have to think of a more long term solution than that...

We all are having fun on an eventful day but Visegrad is a trash source, would like to see from anywhere else

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

fatherboxx posted:

We all are having fun on an eventful day but Visegrad is a trash source, would like to see from anywhere else

Very difficult to distinguish the source from the echo at the moment

I think this might be the original source:

https://twitter.com/Hajun_BY/status/1694431124389282171

Kyiv post journalist also reporting with a quote that doesn't match that

https://twitter.com/officejjsmart/status/1694432005453218246

But it is the one cited here

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1694436029757861960

There are hundreds of other tweets saying it but they're probably all just bouncing the same reports around

Chalks fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Aug 23, 2023

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/seungminkim/status/1694427630551101756

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
in a war full of wild miscalculations, prigozhin's decisions during and after the march on moscow are probably the ones that were most immediately and obviously incredibly stupid

i'm skeptical that he could have successfully rode the tiger of an armed coup, but thinking that he could just put the whole thing behind him and resume his life more or less as usual is the height of wishful thinking. imagine julius caesar crossing the rubicon and saying "it's comforting that i can take a mulligan"

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Lol.

Wagner's current #4 now #1 busy making calls to Elon to get some of that Starlink

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Tomn posted:

I really can't tell if you're serious or joking.

It's not remotely serious.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

in a war full of wild miscalculations, prigozhin's decisions during and after the march on moscow are probably the ones that were most immediately and obviously incredibly stupid

i'm skeptical that he could have successfully rode the tiger of an armed coup, but thinking that he could just put the whole thing behind him and resume his life more or less as usual is the height of wishful thinking. imagine julius caesar crossing the rubicon and saying "it's comforting that i can take a mulligan"

I mean, at least the next guy know if you're going to start something, you might as well go the whole way.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
^^^^^^If you don't already know that before you start your coup, you probably shouldn't be trying coups in the first place.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Yeah, if Putins goal is to surround himself with fools who are too stupid to be a real threat to him, mission accomplished I guess.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Deltasquid posted:

If he wanted to retire, a great way to do it is to fake being unalived in a plane crash and loving off to somewhere in Africa with a suitcase full of cash.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Yeah what the gently caress was Prighozin thinking? That you can march on the capital, force the government to detonate highways to stop your advance, shoot down military aircraft along the way, seize cities, and then just be like "ok well, point made, let's all move on and be adults about this." ?

I don't think this death serves as that much of the deterrent tbh. If I was someone else with Prighozin's resources I'd be quietly thinking "I could have pulled this off because I'm not a loving idiot"

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
this is why you're not supposed to open the emergency exits in midflight

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

Lol.

Wagner's current #4 now #1 busy making calls to Elon to get some of that Starlink

Pro tips if you're a member of a disposable PMC of a totalitarian regime and your internet is suddenly hard blocked and rumors are abounding about your boss getting iced:

Disappear into the woods.

Maybe Putin needed a win after India beat Russia in landing a probe on the Moon this week.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
:goonsay: Russia is better understood as a competitive authoritarian/hybrid regime rather than a totalitarian one

Fill Baptismal fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Aug 23, 2023

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

https://twitter.com/yarotrof/status/1694439415886533003

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/michaelh992/status/1694440550026326468

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Lol at what looks like stylised hammer and sickle in the logo behind him.