Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Eris has come to terms with her trauma and made peace with her demons like six times now, so it would be unfathomably stupid for her to turn Evil Eris, yeesh

Also can someone ELI5 why this plan is a loophole in the "Fighting Xivu just makes her stronger"? Aren't we just planning on fighting her still? But with extra steps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Amanda’s death did nothing for me since she’s barely in the game post Red War. Eris is a longtime fan favorite whose death would be much more significant to the storyline. If she dies this season it would be very similar to what happened to Rasputin in Seraph season and I’m hoping Bungie doesn’t do that again.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Snapes N Snapes posted:

What's this then??

Commemeration has sights that outline enemies in red, and most (all?) of the DSC weapons are like that. Even though there have been some LMGs with perk pools that better align with what I want (such as Corrective Measure), I always find myself coming back to Commemeration because the highlight effect is just too useful for me.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I haven’t actually started the season yet, but the trailer made it look like we’re exploiting the hive’s own system of power and tribute. Xivu Arath gains tribute from acts of war, but I guess an act of war committed knowingly in the service of a different Hive god trumps that and tribute can only go to one god at a time. So Eris volunteers to become a tribute sink and the guardians going hog wild now direct tribute to her instead of Xivu Arath

In any sufficiently complicated fantasy setting the ultimate move is always rules lawyering

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Meiteron posted:

The key underlying feature of Eris' entire character, the foundational bedrock that makes Eris Morn work, is that she ticks every single box of the Person Who Turns Evil list and never, ever does.

She drags herself out of the hellmouth to flee the forces that corrupted and killed all her friends, by wishing on the remains of an evil wish-dragon and turning herself part hive, then swears herself to bloody single-minded vengeance because that always ends well, obsesses over the hive magic that we know can actively corrupt Guardians who still have their Light let alone people like Eris who don't, spends all of Shadowkeep next to a Pyramid, is the first adopter of Stasis powers...

And despite literally all of that she remains basically your most stalwart and trustworthy ally, taking every single possible risk and subjecting herself to every single possible danger every single time she re-enters the story. poo poo goes down in a Spooky way and Eris Morn is there, ready to back you up as you ride off to shoot what she says needs to be shot.

Now I'm not saying they're gonna gently caress this up 100% for sure but they don't get any benefit of the doubt from me after Lightfall and what they did with Amanda so I'm already mentally preparing myself to be really, really angry at some D2 writers in six weeks.

Eris has a ton of the best character beats in the whole series too. The whole thing with the Nightmares doing nothing to her but pissing her off and annoying her because they won't. stop. TALKING. is great. She spends the entire series going "ok fine here's another dumbassed ritual so you can go gently caress em up" while the Vanguard poop their pants about the moon. Also a fan of the one weapon lore tab having Zavala watching you kill and give tribute on Twitch with his office door shut so the citizens don't panic about the weird-rear end poo poo you're doing this time while musing that it used to be so simple to just kill Hive and feel good lol

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Eris has come to terms with her trauma and made peace with her demons like six times now, so it would be unfathomably stupid for her to turn Evil Eris, yeesh

Also can someone ELI5 why this plan is a loophole in the "Fighting Xivu just makes her stronger"? Aren't we just planning on fighting her still? But with extra steps?

The plan appears to be:

1. Make Eris a god
2. Tie worm in artifact to Eris with light and magic
3. Murder Everything (even more than usual)
4. Give tribute. Because the worm is tied to Eris the tithing is going to her in the name of vengeance instead of Xivu in the name of war like it usually does when you Murder Everything (sorry about that one multikill in the Crucible, Cabal homeworld)
5. Eris uses the supersteroids that are your ludicrously large tributes compared to an entire galaxy of warfare and Hive tributing Xivu Arath to assblast her after you probably shoot her a ton also
6. Sword Logic is a fake idea anyway

I really want the season to show later on that other Hive begin worshiping Eris too and giving her tribute.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 23, 2023

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

haveblue posted:

I haven’t actually started the season yet, but the trailer made it look like we’re exploiting the hive’s own system of power and tribute. Xivu Arath gains tribute from acts of war, but I guess an act of war committed knowingly in the service of a different Hive god trumps that and tribute can only go to one god at a time. So Eris volunteers to become a tribute sink and the guardians going hog wild now direct tribute to her instead of Xivu Arath

In any sufficiently complicated fantasy setting the ultimate move is always rules lawyering

Hell, I find this 100% acceptable. Thank you!!

Kith posted:

Commemeration has sights that outline enemies in red, and most (all?) of the DSC weapons are like that. Even though there have been some LMGs with perk pools that better align with what I want (such as Corrective Measure), I always find myself coming back to Commemeration because the highlight effect is just too useful for me.

To me, Commemoration will always be the King just because of Reconstruction. So good! Autoloading + a humongous mag?! Especially with how it circumvents the only downside to Killing Tally. And that one season where we had volatile rounds on orb pickup made it absurd with Repulsor Brace!!

In theory I should like Corrective Measure too because Demo + Ad Junkie is great, and Subsistence + Firefly is great, but there's never a situation where it feels right to pick something other than Commemoration

Also the DSC aesthetic is the best

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

To me, Commemoration will always be the King just because of Reconstruction. So good! Autoloading + a humongous mag?! Especially with how it circumvents the only downside to Killing Tally. And that one season where we had volatile rounds on orb pickup made it absurd with Repulsor Brace!!

As an added bonus it’s firing sound is extremely satisfying. The only mg that comes close is Thunderlord.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

haveblue posted:

Also, Eris is the Hive God of Vengeance, so kills made in the service of Vengeance empower Eris, just as killing in the service of Deception empowers Savathun, killing in the service of War empowers Xivu, and killing in the service of discovery empowered Oryx.

Killing isn't the end, it's the means in which you control another's shape. In Sword Logic, Killing is the medium for which you shape the universe, and thus the reasons for killing are how you seek the final shape. Oryx kills to discover everything, Xivu kills to become the concept of War, Sav kills to become the unanswered question, and Eris kills to become vengeance itself for the loss of those she loves.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

RBA Starblade posted:

The plan appears to be:

1. Make Eris a god
2. Tie worm in artifact to Eris with light and magic
3. Murder Everything (even more than usual)
4. Give tribute. Because the worm is tied to Eris the tithing is going to her in the name of vengeance instead of Xivu in the name of war like it usually does when you Murder Everything (sorry about that one multikill in the Crucible, Cabal homeworld)
5. Eris uses the supersteroids that are your ludicrously large tributes compared to an entire galaxy of warfare and Hive tributing Xivu Arath to assblast her after you probably shoot her a ton also
6. Sword Logic is a fake idea anyway

I really want the season to show later on that other Hive begin worshiping Eris too and giving her tribute.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The idea that war inherently makes Xivu Arath more powerful probably comes from the Rasputin season - Xivu Arath wasn't going to be made more powerful by war, she was going to be made more powerful by having prepared her army as a ritual sacrifice which she would feed on when Rasputin used the warsats to destroy them. Nope, RocketRaygun was right.

Books of Sorrow 3:9 'Carved in Ruin' explains how the hive tribute pyramid scheme works, the difference being that the guardians kill a lot more than most hive do and don't have to take any tribute for themselves. Which means Eris is (in theory) going to become as powerful (if not more) than any one of the 3 hive sisters. Google 'Eris Morn Tribute' for more info.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 23, 2023

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The idea that war inherently makes Xivu Arath more powerful probably comes from the Rasputin season - Xivu Arath wasn't going to be made more powerful by war, she was going to be made more powerful by having prepared her army as a ritual sacrifice which she would feed on when Rasputin used the warsats to destroy them. Nope, RocketRaygun was right.

Books of Sorrow 3:9 'Carved in Ruin' explains how the hive tribute pyramid scheme works, the difference being that the guardians kill a lot more than most hive do and don't have to take any tribute for themselves. Which means Eris is (in theory) going to become as powerful (if not more) than any one of the 3 hive sisters. Google 'Eris Morn Tribute' for more info.

Also Books of Sorrow 3:4 has a rule about how the tribute stuff really works in practice for a new hive god. Google “Eris Morn Rule 34” and there’s a bunch of stuff on it

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I will in fact NOT google that

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Be brave, guardian

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Wtf, are google results usually purple?

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

:hmmyes:

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
Another season with Eris front and center and another season where we don’t get her D1 shaders back. Fail.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I get that you gotta fix the bug but real bad timing not having loadouts at the beginning of a season when I need to shift things around, ouch

Having fun getting bounties from Normal Eris before I go do Altar of Sorrow waves for Hive Eris

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I liked this lore from the new MG:

quote:

What is imbaru? Asking the question yields an ounce of tribute by itself; failing to answer it yields more. It's impossible to engage with the concept without falling into the web of cunning devised by the Witch Queen, even after her death.

It's elegant. And irritating.

We are familiar with the sword logic: the need to endure and force the universe to endure you. It's a contest. When there is nothing left standing but you, then you've won. Your prize is existence.

But imbaru is tribute from the failure to *understand*. When Savathun ensnared us with her cunning, she fed her worm. Every false step or mistake in our attempts to unravel Savathuns plans gave her exactly what she wanted. Whenever someone believed a lie or doubted a truth, she became that much more powerful.

uh oh fake news feeds the worm

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

neutral milf hotel posted:

You think so?

Please tell me of any other Hive G*d that would rebuild groverhaus in the ascendant plane. That is the scariest thing to me :stare:

I laughed

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

ex post facho posted:

I liked this lore from the new MG:

uh oh fake news feeds the worm

Savathun is powered by imbaru and has a ghost named Immaru?

Akumu
Apr 24, 2003

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Savathun is powered by imbaru and has a ghost named Immaru?

If you ask if imbaru and Immaru are related, that's imbaru!!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's a typo and she's powered by irn bru

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Akumu posted:

If you ask if imbaru and Immaru are related, that's imbaru!!

I would simply ask one what the other would say, and believe the opposite. Puzzles 101!

Akumu
Apr 24, 2003

Actually, imbaru is short for "I'm Baru." It's been right in front of us the whole time.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
That Traitor?!

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

When the moon hits your eye, like a big pizza pie, that's imbaru.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Akumu posted:

Actually, imbaru is short for "I'm Baru." It's been right in front of us the whole time.

It's not :( I took it from the Sumerian word for 'mist' and would not have done so if I'd spotted the similarity. I guess I just like the sound...

I also named Eris Morn 'Eris'. I did not name her 'Morn' though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

General Battuta posted:

It's not :( I took it from the Sumerian word for 'mist' and would not have done so if I'd spotted the similarity. I guess I just like the sound...

What are your thoughts on this season so far? I didn't know you did very much with Eris.

rodney mullenkamp
Nov 5, 2010

ohhyeah posted:

What spaghetti code happened to the shaders to mix them up? They’re all random now

you can fav them now and they appear at the front of the list

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Someone say purple?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

RBA Starblade posted:

What are your thoughts on this season so far? I didn't know you did very much with Eris.

I don’t play Destiny so no thoughts, head empty.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

General Battuta posted:

I meant thematically if you were keeping up

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

General Battuta posted:

Did you write the "Eris, Eris, what a name" lore card?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

General Battuta posted:

I'd be interested to know how Eris' latest shenannigans line up with how you initially wrote the hive tribute system.

(There's a discussion of it further up the page and the previous page to catch you up).

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

MJeff posted:

Did you write the "Eris, Eris, what a name" lore card?

Yeah.

RBA Starblade posted:

I meant thematically if you were keeping up

They have not invited me to be involved so I haven’t kept up.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Man, not even on the TFS Collector’s Edition? what a bummer

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I've been waiting months for this weapon to be available again

https://twitter.com/destinybulletn/status/1694507587914580120

:worship:

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

New gambit MG is super fun, wild card is a cool origin perk and seems to proc fairly often. Geomag rework was good too, absolutely dumpstered a team with that plus delicate tomb, full team wipe, the works. I dig it, trust.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Or, you could argue she's just finally reached a state of hubris. Acceptance = Complacence, and forgetting this is still The Witch Queen she's loving with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Gogo’s famous https://vxtwitter.com/hazelmonforton/status/1694540486017434111?s=46&t=DT925tMY54SwGEv9vbPHUw

(Bungie writer who did a lot of this season apparently)