Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Defiance Industries posted:

According to the Steiner house book, this was the original emblem of the Lyran Commonwealth.

I guess it could be like... a seal or something?

I'm sure the realistic-looking star, among all the other intricate detail on emblems in the House books, would look pretty amazing as a mural-sized plaque somewhere. But yeah the simplification makes sense for game purposes of course

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

It's the Warrior Trilogy, what can you expect if not more of the same?

No spoilers please!!! I need to know whats happening with these Clan guys!!!!

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

According to the Steiner house book, this was the original emblem of the Lyran Commonwealth.

I guess it could be like... a seal or something?

Is it a reverse goatse as viewed from the rectum?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I'm fine with the new focus on micro/regional events in the fiction, but if they ever want to go wide-scale again, I suppose the ilClan era is a great reason for the other story thrust I've wanted for years- expansion and re-discovery efforts in the Deep Periphery, essentially pushing out the boundaries of the Inner Sphere. Plenty of gold rush/lostech/holy poo poo that's what this planet has been up to for 500 years? kinda stories.

And of course, the one I used to think about writing, a Scooby Doo-ish mystery where alien raiders keep using strange tech to attack this planet, but in the end it was Old Man Jenkins in a dressed-up Chameleon

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Strobe posted:

This thread's last post was over 10 years ago lmao

*They were talking about it :v:

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Hardened armor seems pretty OP. Fought a stalker 9F with two tenshis and a single erppc. Dumped round after round of fire into it from everything and barely got into internals in an arm before one of the tenshi's pilots went unconcious and ended the game.

How do you fight this thing? I guess I could have brought RE lasers, but outside of that, I was dumping some 60+ damage into it a turn. Meanwhile its TC guided clan large pulses were murderous.

I don't like having to bring RE lasers since it seems like kinda mediocre weapons to bring unless youre facing one of the new armor variants, plus theres not that many chassis that use em.

Saint Celestine fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Aug 23, 2023

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
>TC guided clan large pulses

This should be grounds for a misdemeanor charge in real life.

GD_American posted:

I'm fine with the new focus on micro/regional events in the fiction, but if they ever want to go wide-scale again

If I had to do a Big Setting Event it would be the discovery of a [highly desirable region of space] coreward of the Clan homeworlds, leading to something like the Age of Sail where the Inner Sphere powers are all running long distance colonies via jumpship flotillas while trying to fend off the post-Reaving homeworld Clans. I think it'd be a great setting for the kind of small to mid unit fights where Battletech shines.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

PeterWeller posted:

*They were talking about it :v:
I've had threads on that forum necro'd, by mods no less, several years after they had gone quiet. It moves pretty glacially.

Saint Celestine posted:

Hardened armor seems pretty OP. Fought a stalker 9F with two tenshis and a single erppc. Dumped round after round of fire into it from everything and barely got into internals in an arm before one of the tenshi's pilots went unconcious and ended the game.

How do you fight this thing? I guess I could have brought RE lasers, but outside of that, I was dumping some 60+ damage into it a turn. Meanwhile its TC guided clan large pulses are murderous.

I guess I could have brought RE lasers? But seems like kinda mediocre weapons to bring unless youre facing one of the new armor variants, plus theres not that many chassis that use em.
Seems to have low heat capacity so plasma rifles and infernos are likely viable. Heavy armour slows it by 1MP so it's probably not the fastest Stalker in the world either. The PSR for taking 60+ damage should be at +1 too, for the armour. Other than that, sandblast with LB-X autocannon and hope to rattle the pilot to death?

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Arquinsiel posted:

I've had threads on that forum necro'd, by mods no less, several years after they had gone quiet. It moves pretty glacially.

Seems to have low heat capacity so plasma rifles and infernos are likely viable. Heavy armour slows it by 1MP so it's probably not the fastest Stalker in the world either. The PSR for taking 60+ damage should be at +1 too, for the armour. Other than that, sandblast with LB-X autocannon and hope to rattle the pilot to death?

He had a piloting of 4, so was routinely passing PSRs of 6 (4 + 1 (armor), +1, (damage)).

Too bad MRMs can't fire infernos. Will have to try the plasma rifle route.

Edit: the more I use the Tenshi -OA, the more its becoming a favorite mech. Its so good.

Saint Celestine fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Aug 23, 2023

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

General Battuta posted:

If I had to do a Big Setting Event it would be the discovery of a [highly desirable region of space] coreward of the Clan homeworlds, leading to something like the Age of Sail where the Inner Sphere powers are all running long distance colonies via jumpship flotillas while trying to fend off the post-Reaving homeworld Clans. I think it'd be a great setting for the kind of small to mid unit fights where Battletech shines.

You could always have someone make a jump drive that goes 60 LY instead of 30, that would shake up the whole map.

It would also get the Periphery states bulldozed but there's only three of those left anyway.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Saint Celestine posted:

How do you fight this thing?

Push it over, repeatedly.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
A 4/4 Stalker 9F is like 2700 BV. Bring something that can put its likely-TMM-0 rear end through the ringer every turn. You'll get hit by basically 20 points every turn, but something like a Stormcrow K is going to hit it for ~50 damage every turn right back with points to spare.

Tenshis are tough but they're not DPS monsters.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Strobe posted:

A 4/4 Stalker 9F is like 2700 BV. Bring something that can put its likely-TMM-0 rear end through the ringer every turn. You'll get hit by basically 20 points every turn, but something like a Stormcrow K is going to hit it for ~50 damage every turn right back with points to spare.

Tenshis are tough but they're not DPS monsters.

Problem is that the stormcrow is more expensive and weaker than a tenshi. Dual clan pulses + TC and LRMS were doing work. If I take a Stormcrow, I don't have a TC/Pulses, so I need to bump the pilot. That bumps up the BV and limits what else I can bring. So it would be a Stormcrow K + something crappy.

I had both tenshis and a one armed archangel alive, and was hitting all the VSPs at short/medium, plus the MRMs. Thats like 70, 80 damage a turn. Had I not lost a tenshi to unconciousness, would most likely have won, but would have taken a few more turns. Was looking for a better solution than "keep shooting it until its dead".

Will try plasma rifles next time as I don't have to deal with such damaging return fire at least.

\/ We were playing commander, and unfortunately my commander Tenshi got knocked unconcious and he targeted the head which killed it, so I had to concede there. It was also at 15 turns. I had killed the other units on like turn 12, and spent the rest of the time just blasting away.

I usually run a fast scout, so probably using one to kick will help next time.

Saint Celestine fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 23, 2023

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Honestly, it sounds like you conceded right as you were turning the fight around. Yeah, you probably would've lost a Tenshi, but you were through armor and into internals and from there it's only a matter of time before a leg comes off or a side torso goes and deprives the Stalker of half its firepower (and lets you start really focusing damage into the CT).

Flame or heat weapons would be good to help limit its ability to return fire which would let you get more 'free' damage in; or force it to fire anyway and then spend turns cooling down where you could advance more freely.

If it was making use of woods for cover, lobbing incendiary LRMs to light its cover on fire would also be a wise move. Hardened Armor units are usually bad at repositioning so forcing them to move into less advantageous spots can be really handy.

But I wasn't joking about my suggestion to make a hard push for melee.

Hardened armor units have a lot of difficulty escaping if they get into a bad spot, and a walk 3 run 4 hardened armor assault isn't fast enough to take advantage of winning initiative to get behind you. If you can force multiple piloting tests every turn with multiple kicks you can eventually KO the pilot unless they've got M-D implants; and all it takes is one initiative win and you can flank it to chew through the much thinner rear armor.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Aug 23, 2023

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Saint Celestine posted:

If I take a Stormcrow, I don't have a TC/Pulses, so I need to bump the pilot.

You really don't. A Stalker 9F is getting a +1 TMM going full out, you can trivially keep the numbers down with range and AMM. Once you close to short, you're looking at ~7s and you will be putting out significantly more damage than the Stalker is. Especially if you get behind it and deny the guns that aren't in the arms.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Strobe posted:

You really don't. A Stalker 9F is getting a +1 TMM going full out, you can trivially keep the numbers down with range and AMM. Once you close to short, you're looking at ~7s and you will be putting out significantly more damage than the Stalker is. Especially if you get behind it and deny the guns that aren't in the arms.

Good point. Was used to hitting on 2s and 4s with the VSPs. Will have to try out the stormcrow. Thanks!

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
One thing that is not immediately obvious with BattleTech is that the closer the numbers get to auto-hit, the more advantage that is to raw durability and firepower.

Pulse + TC pulls numbers down quick, but the higher you can keep his numbers without completely wrecking yours, the closer the fight will be. Your goal should either be more than 6 hexes away with a gun that has a short range of 7 or more (gauss, ER PPC, ER Large, etc) and keep your TMM or cover mod up, or be out of arc of as much as possible at short range.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

You could always have someone make a jump drive that goes 60 LY instead of 30, that would shake up the whole map.

It would also get the Periphery states bulldozed but there's only three of those left anyway.

2 things that expand horizons are faster travel or faster communications. They could keep the K-F limit and wave HPGs back into ubiquity along with new (tech word) capabilities that make them very low delay. When a Duke several systems over can give near-instant HPG directions, it'd bring back some of the Westmoreland-level of absurdity in micromanagement from afar. You'd also see an actual interstellar Internet develop, with all the 90s parallels in social upheaval that came from it.

Or, they could wave the LY per jump limit up to whatever. They'd have to be careful (imagine what chaos allowing K-F super jumps up to 1000 LY now without melting cores would allow) not to wreck the entire setting.

Or they could keep the limits the same, but make K-F cores far, far more common due to new ingredients. Imagine loading up an entire task force in New Avalon with spare K-F cores and jumping straight to Luthien. Fling those dropships off while you desperately try to shovel out the old core and slap in new ones across the fleet.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Instant communication but same speed transport would be a weird one to develop. Having spies reporting on movement would become even more important.

GD_American posted:

Or they could keep the limits the same, but make K-F cores far, far more common due to new ingredients. Imagine loading up an entire task force in New Avalon with spare K-F cores and jumping straight to Luthien. Fling those dropships off while you desperately try to shovel out the old core and slap in new ones across the fleet.

This would be interesting based on how many cores they could carry and how they defend the assets they have to leave behind

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
You can swap KF cores?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I would assume not given how irreplaceable and complicated they are

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

No, they're pretty well integrated into the ship, and doubly so for WarShips, AND and you can't jump with a spare core in any case - it messes with the technobabble.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Saint Celestine posted:

You can swap KF cores?

The process of replacing an old K-F core with a new one requires you to either jump back to a major shipyard and put in for repairs, like replacing the entire drive system of a modern ship, or if you can't do that, transporting raw germanium to the stranded ship and manufacturing a new core out of that.

For the most part if your K-F drive goes out you're just stranded there forever.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

that's where the new paradigm would have to come into play, as far as more common or more replaceable.

Or, if they get rid of the "can't transport an intact extra K-F core" bit, then jump a task force in with a mobile shipyard :v:

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

The process of replacing an old K-F core with a new one requires you to either jump back to a major shipyard and put in for repairs, like replacing the entire drive system of a modern ship, or if you can't do that, transporting raw germanium to the stranded ship and manufacturing a new core out of that.

For the most part if your K-F drive goes out you're just stranded there forever.

Is there any good lore/stories about misjumping and getting stranded or what not?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Saint Celestine posted:

Is there any good lore/stories about misjumping and getting stranded or what not?

:bird:

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

they clearly said good stories

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

it was....an ok story. Average BT quality. Some neat bits around the LAM.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Saint Celestine posted:

Typically, you don't get stranded, you just die. Either because large parts of your body were deleted during the misjump or your ship loses hull integrity for basically that same reason. Kerensky's fleet has some misjumps on the way to Terra and the ships showed up fused inside each other.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Saint Celestine posted:

Good point. Was used to hitting on 2s and 4s with the VSPs. Will have to try out the stormcrow. Thanks!
If you're really worried about the hit mods then the Stormcrow TC is basically the K but swapping the Improved Heavys for regular CER, and sticking a Targeting Computer in there. It'll let you dance a bit at range 7 like Strobe suggested and not lose out too much. Alternatively the B for laying down the hurt faster and up close. Or go hog wild and get a Nova Prime into his rear arc and unload all twelve lasers with good odds.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
“Kicking the walking hardened penis in the balls repeatedly” has not been emphasized enough.

An assault ‘Mech that’s hopped up on TSM (even better if Supercharged) is doing 32-40 points of regular armor damage each kick, and since the target is so slow you will *always* be able to pick the same leg by moving to face their side arc when you win initiative.

Heck, even if you don’t win initiative, you can always force it to burn at least 1 MP trying to keep you out of its rear arc. Sandwich the phallus between two such thicc TSM ‘Mechs, and you’ll force it to spend at least 3 MP just to avoid a kick in the first place.

Once the penis falls down and decides to lay flat, it can no longer torso twist to hit you with the cLPLs if you stay out of its front arc

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

“Kicking the walking hardened penis in the balls repeatedly” has not been emphasized enough.

An assault ‘Mech that’s hopped up on TSM (even better if Supercharged) is doing 32-40 points of regular armor damage each kick, and since the target is so slow you will *always* be able to pick the same leg by moving to face their side arc when you win initiative.

Heck, even if you don’t win initiative, you can always force it to burn at least 1 MP trying to keep you out of its rear arc. Sandwich the phallus between two such thicc TSM ‘Mechs, and you’ll force it to spend at least 3 MP just to avoid a kick in the first place.

Once the penis falls down and decides to lay flat, it can no longer torso twist to hit you with the cLPLs if you stay out of its front arc

The only downside to that is that its sort of building a list for that specific scenario. Of course if I replay that match the same way and bring two berserkers and just hatchet/kick it to death, it works, but I don't have the luxury of knowing what the opfor will be, and two close combat mechs suffer against others. I think I will replace the archangel with probably the Ryoken or something faster.

\/ It was made specifically for the scenario of protecting a commander unit. The archangel was the commander decoy while the commander was a tenshi. I was not expecting a hardened armor mech and had never faced one before. Took out his marauder, wraith, and spider in like 3 turns.

Saint Celestine fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Aug 24, 2023

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Two Tenshis and an Archangel is a list concept that is extremely slow even if it's very tough. The other guy just successfully specialized harder into durability than you did.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

crosspost

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

some wip of the city tile ive been working on

bought some cheapo paint pens and they made the asphalt look pretty good w/ the road markings. going to continue to flesh out the tile and then weather the roads i think, as well as go over all teh buildings with a lot more detail. a friend and i just did a rough pass on them and i'm just not happy with where they're at

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Saint Celestine posted:

The only downside to that is that its sort of building a list for that specific scenario. Of course if I replay that match the same way and bring two berserkers and just hatchet/kick it to death, it works, but I don't have the luxury of knowing what the opfor will be, and two close combat mechs suffer against others. I think I will replace the archangel with probably the Ryoken or something faster.

\/ It was made specifically for the scenario of protecting a commander unit. The archangel was the commander decoy while the commander was a tenshi. I was not expecting a hardened armor mech and had never faced one before. Took out his marauder, wraith, and spider in like 3 turns.
Okay, so your mistake here is not playing the scenario rather than having a problem killing the Stalker. All you had to do was move your commander away and force it to grind through your other three mechs before it could get a look in. If that involves hiding behind a hill or in some deep woods then so be it. Scenario is the scenario.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Arquinsiel posted:

Okay, so your mistake here is not playing the scenario rather than having a problem killing the Stalker. All you had to do was move your commander away and force it to grind through your other three mechs before it could get a look in. If that involves hiding behind a hill or in some deep woods then so be it. Scenario is the scenario.

Well he didn't know which one was the commander. He spent the entire match firing at the archangel which he thought was the commander. Then because the TMM/range on the archangel was a bit high, he decided to swap to a tenshi, and blapped it in the head.

The issue was that the stalker took some 4 turns of continuous fire without really getting hurt. We were at 15 rounds anyways, so unlucky loss due to commander dying. Was just trying to figure out how to kill hardened armor faster, which could have won it for me.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Got an email from Catalyst saying the Alpha Strike: Commander’s Edition was updated, but I’m not sure what they changed. Anyone got any ideas?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Saint Celestine posted:

Well he didn't know which one was the commander. He spent the entire match firing at the archangel which he thought was the commander. Then because the TMM/range on the archangel was a bit high, he decided to swap to a tenshi, and blapped it in the head.

The issue was that the stalker took some 4 turns of continuous fire without really getting hurt. We were at 15 rounds anyways, so unlucky loss due to commander dying. Was just trying to figure out how to kill hardened armor faster, which could have won it for me.
Okay but you controlled the relative TMMs and range, so you should have made sure that your commander was never the best target. By the time you had just the Stalker to worry about that's a pretty trivial exercise.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

Icon Of Sin posted:

Got an email from Catalyst saying the Alpha Strike: Commander’s Edition was updated, but I’m not sure what they changed. Anyone got any ideas?

Go to here to see the official errata docs:
https://bg.battletech.com/errata/

All errata is labelled by printing, and when a new printing comes out, the related errata doc always writes out everything new to that printing a second time, lumping it all together at the end of the doc.

Short answer as to what changed is "tons". The 6th printing is the biggest pile of changes since the book came out; it could be called a revised edition if people felt like it. For context, the 2nd to 5th printings combined added a total of 15 pages of errata. With the 6th printing added to it, total errata increases to 28 pages, so it almost adds as much as the other four reprints put together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Xotl posted:

Go to here to see the official errata docs:
https://bg.battletech.com/errata/

All errata is labelled by printing, and when a new printing comes out, the related errata doc always writes out everything new to that printing a second time, lumping it all together at the end of the doc.

Short answer as to what changed is "tons". The 6th printing is the biggest pile of changes since the book came out; it could be called a revised edition if people felt like it. For context, the 2nd to 5th printings combined added a total of 15 pages of errata. With the 6th printing added to it, total errata increases to 28 pages, so it almost adds as much as the other four reprints put together.

Cool, thank you!