Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

rndmnmbr posted:

He was a good bad guy, especially in knowing that the bad guy's job in a story is to lose to the good guy.

Counterpoint: Roman Reigns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
You can’t blame Vince for that, the mustache has taken over.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Vince is the Bowser of wrestling and understands that.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

You can’t blame Vince for that, the mustache has taken over.

Or maybe now the Dr Eggman.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Cornwind Evil posted:

Though it is riffing on a Marvel comic where the same thing happened; in that case, it was Ben Grimm, nee The Thing, vs the Champion of the Universe (one of the Elders of the Universe, you might recall versions of them played by Benicio Del Toro and Jeff Goldblum in Marvel films). Thing was supposedly the last hope of Earth: if he didn't win, the Champion would destroy it (or so he claimed) and after some plot devices caused fighters who might be considered 'stronger' to be disqulified (Thor threw his hammer, hence used a weapon, that's a DQ, Hulk shredded his boxing gloves and went into a mindless rage, he's not a competitor, he's an animal, that's a DQ...). Thing, of course, simply would not stay down, lasting longer than any other competitor the Champion ever fought.

Even the line comes from it.

Ha, I never saw that before. It's literally word-for-word identical. Hits a little harder when it's a tiny primate rather than Ben Grimm, though.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

They did a callback years later in a comic Deadpool Team-Up where an alien wrestler showed up to threaten Earth and Deadpool and Thing had to fight him. Deadpool's response was, "Wow, this guy is a total ripoff of that one Dexter's Lab episode."

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Cornwind Evil posted:

Though it is riffing on a Marvel comic where the same thing happened; in that case, it was Ben Grimm, nee The Thing, vs the Champion of the Universe (one of the Elders of the Universe, you might recall versions of them played by Benicio Del Toro and Jeff Goldblum in Marvel films). Thing was supposedly the last hope of Earth: if he didn't win, the Champion would destroy it (or so he claimed) and after some plot devices caused fighters who might be considered 'stronger' to be disqulified (Thor threw his hammer, hence used a weapon, that's a DQ, Hulk shredded his boxing gloves and went into a mindless rage, he's not a competitor, he's an animal, that's a DQ...). Thing, of course, simply would not stay down, lasting longer than any other competitor the Champion ever fought.

The new DuckTales did this exact story too.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Cornwind Evil posted:

Jack fuckin Kirby, man. Yeah, I know Stan Lee wrote F4 but in my gut this one is all Kirby.

I wonder how many more wrestling lines are wholesale right from comics

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
lol every time how you can see the exact moment roman reigns soul dies when he has to say that

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Jack fuckin Kirby, man. Yeah, I know Stan Lee wrote F4 but in my gut this one is all Kirby.

I wonder how many more wrestling lines are wholesale right from comics

Jack is the GOAT

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Really want someone to have Intergalactic Alien wrestling for the destruction of Earth gimmick

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Literally A Person posted:

Really want someone to have Intergalactic Alien wrestling for the destruction of Earth gimmick

Michinoku Pro.

Great Space War.

You'll be glad you looked into it.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

also that's basically kaiju big battel

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Defiance Industries posted:

Michinoku Pro.

Great Space War.

You'll be glad you looked into it.

thank you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFV4KGmdooM&t=700s

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Is anybody getting Wrestlequest? Should I care?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Cartoon Man posted:

Is anybody getting Wrestlequest? Should I care?

It's fun. You don't have to care. But it's fun

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Art.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

:rip: Terry Funk

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

rip to one of the greatest

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Goddamnit

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Have to watch Roadhouse as an In Memoriam.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

79 is a good run for a wrestler.
:rip:

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

79 is a good run for anybody, especially Terry Funk. RIP

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
terry funk was hardcore

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Friday was the 30th anniversary of the Shockmaster, I can't believe you would let this slip by without celebration, thread.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

the chainsaw charlie gimmick was awful but god terry owned every second of it

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

AlmightyBob posted:

the chainsaw charlie gimmick was awful but god terry owned every second of it

wwe wanted to put a video package to explain who terry funk was to wrestling fans because kevin dunn assumed wwe viewers werent wrestling fans and would be confused by this crazy texas fellow swinging a chainsaw around named terry funk lol

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

wwe wanted to put a video package to explain who terry funk was to wrestling fans because kevin dunn assumed wwe viewers werent wrestling fans and would be confused by this crazy texas fellow swinging a chainsaw around named terry funk lol

Bucky beaver motherfucker.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

A lot of WWE fans are literal children. It isn't all just Gen Xers complaining about the good old days.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

At long last, a final true peaceful retirement. Now he belongs to the ages.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
A true wrestling golem

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Cornwind Evil posted:

At long last, a final true peaceful retirement. Now he belongs to the ages.

he's going to rise from the dead as an undead zombie and wrestle

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

he's going to rise from the dead as an undead zombie and wrestle

I'd buy that ppv

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Baron von Eevl posted:

Friday was the 30th anniversary of the Shockmaster, I can't believe you would let this slip by without celebration, thread.

We're mourning the loss of a legend, you insensitive cow :colbert:

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

I'm still not entirely convinced this isn't just another one of his 'retirements'.

RIP, you crazy tough entertaining bastard.

Edit: Meltzer's obit. https://www.f4wonline.com/news/other-wrestling/dave-meltzer-there-will-never-be-another-terry-funk

Wee Bairns fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Aug 24, 2023

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Last night AEW had perhaps the greatest payoff.

So Christian Cage has been part of their roster for a while and when he turned into a turtleneck-wearing heel, he spent weeks cutting promos on Jungle Boy Jack Perry where he made fun of Jack's dad Luke Perry being dead. Plus he made several offers to become Jack's new step-father. It was beautifully tasteless.

His next feud was against Wardlow. In Wardlow's previous feud, which was against Samoa Joe, Wardlow made a big deal about how his haircut was in honor of his father, who died of cancer. When it came time for Christian to antagonize Wardlow, Christian was quick to jump on that and constantly poo poo on Wardlow's dead dad.

Right now Christian is feuding with Darby Allin... whose father is alive. But Darby has another storyline going on right now where he's taking on Swerve Strickland and his stable Mogul Affiliates. Darby's allies are his mentor Sting and his protege Nick Wayne. Nick Wayne's deal is that he's a wrestling prodigy who just turned 18. Also he has had a rough life, including the sudden death of his father several years ago.

At All In we were supposed to get Darby and Sting vs. Swerve and AR Fox in a double coffin match. On Dynamite, they did a bit of a preview by having Darby and Nick Wayne take on Swerve and AR Fox. Darby and Wayne won, leading to this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy2vJhgvw5U

I've seen this described as the wrestling version of Captain America picking up Mjolnir.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Gavok posted:

Last night AEW had perhaps the greatest payoff.

So Christian Cage has been part of their roster for a while and when he turned into a turtleneck-wearing heel, he spent weeks cutting promos on Jungle Boy Jack Perry where he made fun of Jack's dad Luke Perry being dead. Plus he made several offers to become Jack's new step-father. It was beautifully tasteless.

His next feud was against Wardlow. In Wardlow's previous feud, which was against Samoa Joe, Wardlow made a big deal about how his haircut was in honor of his father, who died of cancer. When it came time for Christian to antagonize Wardlow, Christian was quick to jump on that and constantly poo poo on Wardlow's dead dad.

Right now Christian is feuding with Darby Allin... whose father is alive. But Darby has another storyline going on right now where he's taking on Swerve Strickland and his stable Mogul Affiliates. Darby's allies are his mentor Sting and his protege Nick Wayne. Nick Wayne's deal is that he's a wrestling prodigy who just turned 18. Also he has had a rough life, including the sudden death of his father several years ago.

At All In we were supposed to get Darby and Sting vs. Swerve and AR Fox in a double coffin match. On Dynamite, they did a bit of a preview by having Darby and Nick Wayne take on Swerve and AR Fox. Darby and Wayne won, leading to this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy2vJhgvw5U

I've seen this described as the wrestling version of Captain America picking up Mjolnir.

I was howling with laughter the second Christian came out because I knew what was coming

"And I understand that you have a father..."

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Jesus :stare:

Also Sting is still around??? Holy hell I remember playing as him in video games in the 90s

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Also Sting is still around??? Holy hell I remember playing as him in video games in the 90s

wrestlers dont go away until they are dead

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Seth Pecksniff posted:

https://twitter.com/RefereeRobPage/status/1541897075838930948?t=T1bfVRML8qOX0Y_PrEqeog&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Sting is 65 and still diving 20 feet onto wrestlers. It's great.