Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://v.redd.it/kii7ig9j9y391/DASH_1080.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Ensign Expendable posted:

Also one cyclist got hit by a cop rolling through a stop sign without stopping and another one got dragged off her bike by an off duty cop who wasn't even a part of the blitz.
At least look on the bright side: now they know cops aren't there to keep them safe

raggedphoto posted:

including bumping into pedestrians instead of waiting for oncoming traffic to clear.
what in the gently caress?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
i will let pedestrians go and will ride behind slow riders on the path (like kids or old people) but i will absolutely elbow a pedestrian on the "bike" part of the path, especially when the path is split and ESPECIALLY when there's signage. Get the gently caress outta here. Same dudes that squeeze you when they're in their car because they think every space belongs to them and they can do whatever they want.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
speaking of morons in cars I was riding home from the sox game last night with another dude and the bike lane on 31st is closed for construction so we were in the street. Didn't stop some guy in a pos buick from yelling at us to get in the bike lane as he rattled by.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Peanut President posted:

i will let pedestrians go and will ride behind slow riders on the path (like kids or old people) but i will absolutely elbow a pedestrian on the "bike" part of the path, especially when the path is split and ESPECIALLY when there's signage. Get the gently caress outta here. Same dudes that squeeze you when they're in their car because they think every space belongs to them and they can do whatever they want.
I ring my bell (it's a loud bing-bong kinda thing) at people walking in the bike lane, and only ever touch people who wear headphones and can't/won't hear it. And even then, it's just a light finger tap on the shoulder, not an goddamn elbow. The vast, vast majority throw a hand up in apology and move over (we have poo poo infra here and ped/cycling areas are the same color).

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNIEAj_Wkoo

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
you shouldn't be allowed on a MUP on a road bike or in lycra. i'm sorry i don't make the rules.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

500excf type r posted:

Pedestrians should exercise more awareness of their surroundings and not expect everyone else to cater to their obliviousness.

Horses shouldn't be allowed on non-horse specific trails

There is nothing worse than being out on a hike and coming across a horse.

"Put down your hiking stick - you'll startle the horse!"

"Get off the trail or you'll startle the horse!"

"Make yourself visible or you'll startle the horse!"

"Talk to the horse or it'll think you're a mountain lion and you'll startle the horse!"

"Don't talk too loud or you'll startle the horse!"

People think the Freckles line was a joke but it's undersells how annoying those things can be. Or at least how annoying their riders can be.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I hope you all never have to see a horse in lycra riding a road bike

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Weembles posted:

"Talk to the horse or it'll think you're a mountain lion and you'll startle the horse!"

People think the Freckles line was a joke but it's undersells how annoying those things can be. Or at least how annoying their riders can be.

I have had to hide behind hills to not scare the loving horse. There's also the class of horse rider who tosses a crushed beer can down on the trail every hundred feet.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Peanut President posted:

lycrists are the people who side swipe me in the mup because im only going 7mph while ceding plenty of space. like the bitch who waited blocks until there were peds on the path to pass me in the tightest space and then yells at me when i said ‘poor timing there hon’

she was not wearing lycra

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

you deserved it for being a passive aggressive dweeb. either hurl your invectives or don’t!

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Mr. Sharps posted:

you deserved it for being a passive aggressive dweeb. either hurl your invectives or don’t!

oh i was bein kind to begin with because I was on to an event and worried she would be at the same but when she came back at me with some transphobic bullshit I started goin at it but when other folks would be around go silent so she just sounded like even more of a hateful unsympathetic dipshit.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Weembles posted:

Lol what kind of poo poo horses are these guys raising? We like to backcountry camp in a place near a trail riding outfit, in the evening they let them out to roam; you can walk over to the field and they (the horses) will let you pet them and feed them dandelions and poo poo, it's great.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

PittTheElder posted:

Lol what kind of poo poo horses are these guys raising? We like to backcountry camp in a place near a trail riding outfit, in the evening they let them out to roam; you can walk over to the field and they (the horses) will let you pet them and feed them dandelions and poo poo, it's great.

they never misheard you say dandelion think its a type of dapper lion and die?

mystes
May 31, 2006

chipmunks are really bad about following the proper rules for MUPs so maybe spend more time being annoyed at chipmunks

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

lotta slow pokes itt get the gently caress out the way

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

the horses around when I was growing up were all flighty but the cows were chill. oxcart ftw

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Grassy Knowles posted:

when she came back at me with some transphobic bullshit
alright fine, this me can get the elbow

Re: horses, if they can’t be around bikes/sticks or large hats, they don’t belong on shared trails.

my local MTB group has successfully bullied horse riders off the shared trails and it’s loving awesome. I don’t aggravate them willfully but like, if I have to do more than make room, it’s not my problem.

PittTheElder posted:

Well behaved horses are awesome but they’re not really the norm around the cities. The ponies have way more chill.

evil_bunnY has issued a correction as of 00:27 on Aug 24, 2023

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Suplex Liberace posted:

lotta slow pokes itt get the gently caress out the way

i was out the way from 28th to 32nd, in the diagonal line paint. so if she wasnt a malding slow rear end gently caress she wouldve gotten ahead perfectly safely but after four blocks i assume youre goin leisurely or elderly on a fuckin fancy rear end racing bike like she had

it was a lot of fun to watch ppl try not to laugh at her as she complained about me though

mystes
May 31, 2006

I don't think people wearing spandex should be banned from MUPs but IMO on an MUP you have to ride safely in a way where you won't endanger pedestrians even if they do dumb poo poo like suddenly decide to turn around and change directions while judging

If there are enough people, you just have to go slow and if you're not ok with that then don't ride on it, so if you're trying to go 20MPH then don't take the MUP

People wearing normal clothing and biking at 10MPH can also do dumb poo poo that endangers other people

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

re: pedestrians etiquette:

https://twitter.com/notabigjerk/status/1694490158689894709

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
I really can’t stand the groups of pedestrians that walk 3 or 4 abreast then act all annoyed when you ring a bell or call to them.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

sorry the person not on a metal vehicle are the ones everyone else has to yield for, anytime I hear a bike bell as a pedestrian while crossing a bike path at a crosswalk with the light I get so pissed, shut up I'm walking here jerk

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

mystes posted:

I don't think people wearing spandex should be banned from MUPs but IMO on an MUP you have to ride safely in a way where you won't endanger pedestrians even if they do dumb poo poo like suddenly decide to turn around and change directions while judging

If there are enough people, you just have to go slow and if you're not ok with that then don't ride on it, so if you're trying to go 20MPH then don't take the MUP

People wearing normal clothing and biking at 10MPH can also do dumb poo poo that endangers other people

Ya this is pretty much how I feel.

The lakefront trail in Chicago owns but also is MUP for a significant chunk (otherwise they have it specifically marked for which parts are bike and which are pedestrian). Lots of pedestrians go on the bike-only paths, which can be annoying, but also can be very funny like a couple weeks ago where a dude was on the bike path and yelled "WHY THE gently caress ARE THERE SO MANY BIKES"

Maed posted:

sorry the person not on a metal vehicle are the ones everyone else has to yield for, anytime I hear a bike bell as a pedestrian while crossing a bike path at a crosswalk with the light I get so pissed, shut up I'm walking here jerk

It's just info so you know they're there and vice versa.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Hot Diggity! posted:

Ya this is pretty much how I feel.

The lakefront trail in Chicago owns but also is MUP for a significant chunk (otherwise they have it specifically marked for which parts are bike and which are pedestrian). Lots of pedestrians go on the bike-only paths, which can be annoying, but also can be very funny like a couple weeks ago where a dude was on the bike path and yelled "WHY THE gently caress ARE THERE SO MANY BIKES"

that trail sucks as a pedestrian, I was walking on the ped only trail with the bike only trail parallel a whole 10 feet away and still had to dodge a bunch of pedicabs and idiots on e scooters on the ped only part

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

gently caress off Jared Keeso, I'm not braking for Canada geese.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Weembles posted:

On time I made the mistake of standing too close to a tree.

This startles the horse.

As long as they don’t have an illegal back pocket ice cream cone, which lures the horse.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

leftist heap posted:

you shouldn't be allowed on a MUP on a road bike or in lycra. i'm sorry i don't make the rules.

honestly this isnt the thread for this poo poo but as a roadie I always tell people the bikepath is the most dangerous place because people can turn suddenly and to go SLOW

make a i hate bikes thread if you feel so strongly about this stuff tho

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
I avoid the MUP during the summer months because it gets busy and I am just trying to get home after work. I love seeing so many cyclist commuting but also can't wait for the rainy season when I have the bike paths/green ways mostly to myself!

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Hot Diggity! posted:

It's just info so you know they're there and vice versa.

In nyc a honk is basically yelling gently caress your mother at someone, I'm not walking some silly "nice" midwest place. I was in Chicago for six months without a car and no one knew how to walk at all there. tourists would remark to each other not to follow me when I crossed empty streets against the lights downtown

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

nyers of all modes of transport get hella mad if you yell "move to connecticut" at them

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VN54oOMVrXQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSkwY9EuP5E

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

nyers of all modes of transport get hella mad if you yell "move to connecticut" at them

I wouldn't wish that on anyone, I95 there might be the worst driving in the usa

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

eeenmachine posted:

I really can’t stand the groups of pedestrians that walk 3 or 4 abreast then act all annoyed when you ring a bell or call to them.

Every time I see someone in a bike lane it takes a few rings to get them to even realize there's a bike right behind them. Some people just don't realize that there's a world happening around them.

Unfortunately a lot of those people also drive cars

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

*doppler shifted because of the insane speed*

aaaAAAOONYERLEEeeefft

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

imo instead of bickering online we should yell at cities to stop building MUPs as a compromise that don't serve anyone very well and build decent separated bike and pedestrian paths with enough capacity to handle demand instead

but since this is America and we continue to make incredibly dumb urban planning decisions I try to not be a jerk to other path users while cycling :shrug:

I do take every chance to slap cars parked in the bike lane though

corona familiar has issued a correction as of 02:11 on Aug 24, 2023

Troutful
May 31, 2011

500excf type r posted:

Pedestrians should exercise more awareness of their surroundings and not expect everyone else to cater to their obliviousness.

Horses shouldn't be allowed on non-horse specific trails

Nah, it's the pedestrian's privilege to bumble around obliviously. It rules not having to pay attention to anything except your headphones when you're outside, and peds are the only ones who rightfully get to do this because they're the only ones not in/on a vehicle. I ride on the MUP and slow down to 4 MPH to pass people, and my 3 mile commute takes like half an hour as a result lol but it's cool, it's like an obstacle course that changes every day.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Troutful posted:

Nah, it's the pedestrian's privilege to bumble around obliviously. It rules not having to pay attention to anything except your headphones when you're outside, and peds are the only ones who rightfully get to do this because they're the only ones not in/on a vehicle. I ride on the MUP and slow down to 4 MPH to pass people, and my 3 mile commute takes like half an hour as a result lol but it's cool, it's like an obstacle course that changes every day.

its very much rear end in a top hat behavior to bumble around obliviously and make others move around you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Suplex Liberace posted:

its very much rear end in a top hat behavior to bumble around obliviously and make others move around you

yes, because when I’m walking with my cane instead of using skates im regularly having it kicked out from under me by a surprisingly diverse group of walking fucksticks. which only leads to me using skates in even more situations.