Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Electric Sugar posted:

Not quite, but clay is promising and cost effective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F02P2JO7yfc

Would 100% drive. Although $179 in 80's US money is probably like $500'000 or some such today.

Funnily enough they do actually apparently use a type of clay sometimes when designing cars to make full sized models:

https://www.sarah-archer.com/writing/2020/11/30/from-clay-to-car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Lmao the response to panel gaps is screaming sub 10 micron precision. Elon, we just want the panel edges to be in the same zip code.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
You see the trick to keeping material costs down is you keep increasing the panel gap, until it's all gap no panels!

Then you don't have to worry about paying for the material, manufacturing, or installations of those expensive panels at all!

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

zedprime posted:

Lmao the response to panel gaps is screaming sub 10 micron precision. Elon, we just want the panel edges to be in the same zip code.

i dont. i want that boondoggle to be what sinks him.

im sure the reason he sent that email is because the board is down his throat, on his back, and up his rear end over this years long crowdsourced nightmare

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

legit thought it was going to tip over when it took that turn

the turn after it ran over the sign

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Car stung by a bee

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Want to fill it with helium and just float around in it.

The real future of flying cars!

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Electric Sugar posted:

Not quite, but clay is promising and cost effective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F02P2JO7yfc

this is a weird breaking bad prequel

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

looks really safe

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

zedprime posted:

Yeah, like tolerances +/-.01" would be acceptable not a 100 thou as it is now lol.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Tony Stark achieved sub 1 micron precision and he was IN A CAVE WITH A BOX OF SCRAPS!!!!!!

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
That poo poo looks so dumb in motion. I like hearing the idea of it but in practice, its so dumb. Soooo dumb.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
If Cyber Truck were in production, would there be any reason to buy one instead of a Rivian or something? Based on what we know about it.

Is the appeal of this thing just the looks and the whole edgy Tesla/Musk approach to the tech and such?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

The Cybertruck was exciting in 2019. I put a preorder on one because I wanted an electric truck and it was going to be a long time before other manufacturers caught up

But now you've got Ford, Chevy, Rivian, Alpha, Toyota, probably more all with trucks on the market or about to drop, and so what's the point of this big ugly stupid dumb ugly lovely ugly polygonal ugly truck?

Overdog
Jul 12, 2023

by CVG

(and can't post for 10 years!)

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Tony Stark achieved sub 1 micron precision and he was IN A CAVE WITH A BOX OF SCRAPS!!!!!!

Yeah but take that and move it over a smidge, but like how far is a smidge even science like get a brain Moran.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Sockser posted:

The Cybertruck was exciting in 2019. I put a preorder on one because I wanted an electric truck and it was going to be a long time before other manufacturers caught up

But now you've got Ford, Chevy, Rivian, Alpha, Toyota, probably more all with trucks on the market or about to drop, and so what's the point of this big ugly stupid dumb ugly lovely ugly polygonal ugly truck?

You preordered a cybertruck?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Look they split the atom in 1945, and a hydrogen atom is . 025 nm that means to split it exactly in half they need a precision of .0125 nm. As science has progressed a lot since 1945 we obviously want the precision in the cyber truck to be even better than that. We are looking to have everything engineered to .0069 of a nanometer!

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

marshalljim posted:

If Cyber Truck were in production, would there be any reason to buy one instead of a Rivian or something? Based on what we know about it.

Is the appeal of this thing just the looks and the whole edgy Tesla/Musk approach to the tech and such?
I thought it had an interesting profile and feature list. The conceptual design was interesting. But seeing the truck drive makes it look ugly. Tthis is was designed by people that don't design cars.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Sockser posted:

I put a preorder on one

goddamn, i wouldnt tell a therapist this and you just tell everyone

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Sockser posted:

This is a great question and a great time to take back that pre-order.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
*Elon breaking the window*
*Me excitedly pointing in front of my wife* That's gonna be our new car!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Does Tesla even allow takesies-backsies?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Captain Hygiene posted:

Pretty sure if you ordered it from a country with decent consumer laws and consumer government watchdog, you'd be able to get your money back just based off the massive delays and deceptive advertising.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
It's a gimmick vehicle which offers nothing except the gimmick.

Its irrelevant for every reason apart from its gimmick, which no one likes except Elon Musk fans.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

My Spirit Otter posted:

goddamn, i wouldnt tell a therapist this and you just tell everyone

Genuinely, my truck right now is a 96 Tacoma. Jose has been with me for 7 years, and I love him dearly, but my needs for a truck have outpaced what he can keep up with, and I'd really like for my next vehicle to be electric. In 2019, the Cybertruck was the only option. Knowing that the deposit was refundable and hoping beyond hope that the final product would look at minimum 10% less loving stupid than what he threw a bowling ball into, I thought it was going to be a reasonable option

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I took back the preorder a long time ago, don't you loving worry.
I'm hoping that my poor Tacoma can last until the Alpha Wolf is a reality.
God drat I love that truck

Captain Hygiene posted:

Not only do they allow take-backsies, but they do the deposit returns in USD, which means if you preorder one in Canada, you get $1 for free every time you cancel your preorder

e:
to clarify, I didn't throw down $100 saying "OH BOY THE CYBERTRUCK THAT LOOKS GREAT"
but rather "well poo poo, nobody else is putting out an electric truck any fuckin time soon, and it's refundable, may as well"

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Captain Hygiene posted:

apparently in canada they return your deposit, but in american money so you come out ahead.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Sockser posted:

The Cybertruck was exciting in 2019. I put a preorder on one

What the everloving gently caress?

Why would you even admit to that, much less volunteer that information? You have been preowned

:yikes:

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
If they'd admit to that in a public forum then just image what horrendous secrets they have.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

I JUST WANT A loving ELECTRIC TRUCK IS THAT SO MUCH TO ASK

IS A MAN NOT ENTITLED TO FUEL EFFICIENCY WHILE DRIVING TO HOME DEPOT

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Sockser posted:

then why did you preorder a dumb loving box of concrete

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
:classiclol: They put down 100 refundable bucks for a preorder. In 2019. Cut the poor goon some slack.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Sockser posted:

IS A MAN NOT ENTITLED TO FUEL EFFICIENCY WHILE DRIVING TO HOME DEPOT

It was obviously going to be a poo poo truck for basically any truck use, it's like saying I ordered a Lamborghini Urus for off-road camping.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Renreeja posted:

elons screed about the presicion gives the exact feeling of when he was claiming twitter needs to be rebuilt from the ground up. Just latching onto an idea that has nothing to do with any actual solution

Not even an idea. Latching on to an idea implies some kind of understanding.

He's latching on to words he heard someone much smarter or more popular than him say, and is going to parrot it non-stop without ever knowing what it means, or the context that is supposed to be used, in hopes that it makes people think that he too, is smart.

Like "psy-ops"

dev286
Nov 30, 2006

Let it be all the best.

I hate to say this but they're gonna sell so many of these stupid things, unfortunately

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

dev286 posted:

they're gonna recall so many of these stupid things

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Due to twitter shenanigans musk reputation has plummeted massively and very publicly. The only people who are still think musk is competent at all, are usually pretty anti-electric vehicles. With it being a vanity vehicle they might get some sales just for the uniqueness of it, but the obvious lack of production value and cheapness of it all takes away even from that.

The fact that it looks like it handles like a dump track and doesn't even pretend to function like a truck won't help.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Sockser posted:

Dude, the point was always just pre-orders!

Edit:sorry for the unnecessary dogpile

Blitter fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Aug 24, 2023

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

Shut the fuck up and get out. Have fun being a slave of the rich and powerful.
Checking thread to see if Musk posted some Kremlin propaganda in the wake of Prigozhin's death and boy did he not disappoint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Blitter posted:

Dude, the point was always just pre-orders from rubes like you?

Refundable deposit
I've got my $100 back now :shrug: