Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

But you see, he's fixing housing!

It just depends on what you mean by 'fixing'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Another Bill posted:

OPP refers Ontario Greenbelt matter to RCMP to avoid ‘conflict of interest’

I really hope this leads to funny content. I assume the chief of staff resigned as now only the police can question him about it instead of it being on record?

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

Noblesse Obliged posted:

I really hope this leads to funny content. I assume the chief of staff resigned as now only the police can question him about it instead of it being on record?

It is increasingly looking to me like there is some evidence of criminality here.

I knew Doug and the Conservatives were stupid, but too stupid to cover their tracks properly? That's going to be great content.

e:

The RCMP have commented:

quote:

The RCMP is reviewing potential “irregularities” in Ontario’s Greenbelt development after the Ontario Provincial Police referred the matter to the national force citing potential conflict of interest.

The RCMP confirmed Wednesday that it received a referral from the OPP to “investigate irregularities in the disposition of the Greenbelt surrounding Toronto.”

“We will review and assess the information received and will take appropriate action as deemed necessary. As the investigation is in its infancy and is ongoing, we decline to offer any further comments,” said RCMP’s ‘O’ Division spokeswoman Cpl. Christy Veenstra.

The police force later clarified that it has not launched a full investigation, but rather is beginning an “evaluation” of the information.

“After we have conducted a full assessment, we will determine whether to launch an investigation.”

Another Bill fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Aug 23, 2023

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Another Bill posted:

It is increasingly looking to me like there is some evidence of criminality here.

I knew Doug and the Conservatives were stupid, but too stupid to cover their tracks properly? That's going to be great content.

I hope the rat sings like a birdie and takes everyone down with him

And Jorp has to take sensitivity classes! Good news day!

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ontario-court-rules-against-jordan-peterson-upholds-social-media-training-order-1.6530615

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.
Frank's Happy Place come back and turn this thread into TCC

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Charles Bukowski posted:

You don't abandon what you want just because it won't win. The libs want the status quo, the cons want this but worse for everyone. If you vote for either, you're voting for exactly what you say you don't want. With respect, what are your principles? Are you just being butt mad because powerlessness?

I wouldn't abandon what I want just because it won't win. But I don't want what the NDP is offering any more than I want the Libs or Cons, so I'll probably just not vote this time around unless the NDP has a sudden moment of clarity and stops doing stupid poo poo.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Vasler posted:

I fail to understand how voting for the cons will lead to anything aside from more rapid dismantling of every social system we have. You've made it clear that your issue is housing and that the NDP is for whatever reason not tenable for you.

But somehow the cons, that present no coherent policy on anything, is better than either the libs or NDP?

I almost can't believe I have to type this out, but if you think a con minister is somehow going to be more effective than a lib minister at doing anything (except dismantling social structures/shutting down programs/selling off assets), well, you ought to brush up on history, perhaps what happened under the last streak of con governments or the one just before that one).

I can't believe I'm defending the libs.

Did I miss the post where PT6A is saying he's voting Conservative?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.
No, but that doesn't stop us.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
The Ontario PCs probably expected everyone to shrug their shoulders and think “well we do need housing” and the controversy would blow over. Turns out messing with the greenbelt is really unpopular, even with a lot of conservatives. Rural conservatives who tried to get away from the cities aren’t real happy about the cities coming to them.

Fornax Disaster fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 23, 2023

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

Fornax Disaster posted:

The Ontario PCs probably expected everyone to shrug their shoulders and think “well we do need housing” and the controversy would blow over. Turns out messing with the greenbelt is really unpopular, even with a lot of conservatives. Rural conservatives who tried to get away from the cities aren’t real happy about the cities coming to them.

I think I said it before itt but the Conservative politicos I know, people who were part of the Harris and Harper governments, are pissed about this. They all think Doug really hosed 'the movement' by going after the Greenbelt, especially after promising repeatedly not to. It's commonly accepted (rightly or wrongly) that the 905 is where elections are won and lost in this country, and he hosed with the 905 in a big way.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
I curious if any of those insiders took note of what happened in Haldimand Norfolk with the election of Bobi Anne Brady, it should have set off alarm bells. One of the safest Conservative ridings in the province elected an independent because a development they didn’t want was being forced on them.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

NZAmoeba posted:

Did I miss the post where PT6A is saying he's voting Conservative?

Go and google 'subtext'

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

How much do you guys think Jagmeet charges for rent?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Please, it's Gurkiran who owns the property. And it's in Burnaby or something, so probably thousands.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Arabian Jesus posted:

How much do you guys think Jagmeet charges for rent?

A dental plan. But he’ll take less and we all know it.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Noblesse Obliged posted:

A dental plan. But he’ll take less and we all know it.

:5: :perfect: :vince:

Gotte damne .

Curious to all the NDP doomposters here, have you ever actually talked to/mailed your MP or local NDP/liberal candidate, or been involved with the going ons of the party conventions? Have you ever sent in a resolution to your local EDA to be considered? Or do you just like to gripe and moan about it and throw your hands up into the air about it?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Mederlock posted:

:5: :perfect: :vince:

Gotte damne .

Curious to all the NDP doomposters here, have you ever actually talked to/mailed your MP or local NDP/liberal candidate, or been involved with the going ons of the party conventions? Have you ever sent in a resolution to your local EDA to be considered? Or do you just like to gripe and moan about it and throw your hands up into the air about it?

I mean, this is the goon way, no? I think there are a few posters who have done more than just complain, but it's few and far between.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Legit Businessman posted:

I mean, this is the goon way, no? I think there are a few posters who have done more than just complain, but it's few and far between.
I remember there were a few a couple of years ago. Their posts were basically "If current NDP voter trends continue, then it'll only take a few more elections until they get a majority government."

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Mederlock posted:

I don't really blame them because those of us who have get met with apathy at best and resistance at worst. Next you post "well why don't you build your own movement inside the NDP" and we point out that the last time that happened and it looked like their chosen guy might actually lose they just threw democracy out the window. Next you post "well why don't you start your own party". We've been over this ground many times. Pattern recognition is a real bitch.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Whatever happened to the thread IK nomination process?

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

the only king we swore an oath to is charles tyvm

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Franks Happy Place posted:

Or how cannabis produces astronomically more unrecyclable consumer plastic than any other CPG product and is specifically exempted from the government's own sustainability rules because Health Canada are petty tyrants nobody dares to cross.

I had been wondering when the feds were going to square the single-use plastic ban against the truly abhorrent amount of plastic that comes with anything at all having to do with cannabis. Now I have my answer: " *makes jerking off motion* eventually!"

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Mederlock posted:

ever been involved with the going ons of the party conventions? Have you ever sent in a resolution to your local EDA to be considered? Or do you just like to gripe and moan about it and throw your hands up into the air about it?
All of the above, that poo poo is incredibly stage managed from party HQ and a blackhole for grassroots action. This year's convention, being held in 2023 as it is, will of course have no option for remote participation.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Mederlock posted:

Was on the executive for my riding, 70% voter turnout in a riding where the UPC incumbent didn't run, still lost by 2500 votes (out of ~25k cast).

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

the ndp could win federally if they made radical wayne the leader, and gave him an sks to hold at all times

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

apatheticman posted:

Whatever happened to the thread IK nomination process?

No real consensus, so status quo remains, the true Canadian way.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
The most common name voiced was Arivia, followed by maybe ZShakespeare or Bleck? Yeah sure sounds good. Fuckin' do'er up mods.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The most Canadian thing we could do is just let America (DnD mods) rule us.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

ZShakespeare posted:

Aren't we supposed to burn down the... I dunno, what's the SA equivilant of the White House? if they do that?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Randalor posted:

Aren't we supposed to burn down the... I dunno, what's the SA equivilant of the White House? if they do that?

I think it's SAD. The problem is that SAD is already a pile of ashes picked over by warring factions.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Pleads posted:

Was on the executive for my riding, 70% voter turnout in a riding where the UPC incumbent didn't run, still lost by 2500 votes (out of ~25k cast).

I know that feeling, it's really demoralizing. Still, good on you for doing what you did, keep up the great work. Hopefully a few years of this unfettered UCP clownshow will finally wake people up about the UCP. I'm already hearing genuine grumbling and regret from people I'm acquainted with who voted blue during the election.

DynamicSloth posted:

All of the above, that poo poo is incredibly stage managed from party HQ and a blackhole for grassroots action. This year's convention, being held in 2023 as it is, will of course have no option for remote participation.

Yeah.. I am not impressed with that choice from them either. Where do you feel the true power lies in the party specifically? Like, where is the delineating line from the grassroots desires of the membership and these people at party HQ, and who are they and how did they get there? This is a side of the party that I've heard about from some lifers but nobody would talk openly about.

I still don't think that means people should give up on it, rather it means we need to put more of a spotlight on these backroom dealings done in the dark. gently caress this country sucks though, the wasted opportunity's at every level of government and politics defies belief

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

ZShakespeare posted:

Frank's Happy Place come back and turn this thread into TCC

Work has been busy between the cannabanoids horseshit and half my provinces' industry currently being literally actually on fire, but I'll probably post a rant about how excise is calculated at some point.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Tax man cometh

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

ZShakespeare posted:

No, the most Canadian thing would be to form a committee to hold a meeting about developing a process to select a candidate to replace eXXon.

And then not replace eXXon.

edit:

Yeah, should have gone with the annexation option. Certainly better than this:

ZShakespeare posted:

Your pm to me showing me receipts of your monetary donations to Israel’s genocide are the last straw. You are no longer welcome in this thread as long as I am IK.

tagesschau posted:

I'm not required to let this heinous, bald-faced lie go unanswered, and not bound by anything that flows from it. The fact that you've apparently been sent into an apoplectic, spittle-flecked rage, hurling around false accusations of genocide, just because the wrong kind of people half a world away might be receiving medical supplies, tells me either that you're gullible as hell or that the mask has finally slipped. And all signs point to the latter.

You should drat well know better, so all I can do is repeat what I've been saying the whole time: stop abusing the IK buttons to help your posting friends break forum rules and to punish your posting enemies who aren't breaking the rules. Internalize the understanding that your mishehavior here (over which you have complete control) will have consequences elsewhere that you don't like (and over which you have no control). Think before you lash out again.

I've got no obligation to talk to you and no obligation to listen to you. So I'm done doing either.

tagesschau fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Feb 17, 2024

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

tagesschau posted:

No, the most Canadian thing would be to form a committee to hold a meeting about developing a process to select a candidate to replace eXXon.

I will campaign on the promise to institute IK electoral reform.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I emailed my city councillor once. He was very nice and got back to me right away. I guess I love voting now

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
IK pilot program.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

apatheticman posted:

IK pilot program.

I’m going to get McKinsey to consult on IK deliverology.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Clearly the answer is that we need to means test the IK process.

That's poo poo politicians say to avoid having to actually do anything productive, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

tagesschau posted:

We can make a little personality quiz style questionnaire mailer to send to all the posters, then when we get the results you can make a post featuring a normal distribution formula to explain why we won't be selecting an IK