Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

aw are you in a hurry?? in a hurry to get somewhere???? too fuckin bad I’m looking at this bird and enjoying my day, and your agitation only makes me enjoy it even more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Mr. Sharps posted:

aw are you in a hurry?? in a hurry to get somewhere???? too fuckin bad I’m looking at this bird and enjoying my day, and your agitation only makes me enjoy it even more

:beerpal:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Sharps posted:

:stoked:

Troutful
May 31, 2011

Suplex Liberace posted:

its very much rear end in a top hat behavior to bumble around obliviously and make others move around you

Bumbling around obliviously seems fun as hell and I'm glad at least one group of people gets to experience it. If someone stopped suddenly on the path to look at a cool rock or fiddle with their phone I would simply anticipate this and move around them.

Troutful
May 31, 2011

Be polite. Be polite. Have a plan to dodge everyone you meet.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

walking is the best and pedestrians should always have right of way. I love walking in crowds in Manhattan I pretend I'm an nfl running back finding holes in the offensive line and do spin moves away from guys trying to hand me rap CDs. then some jagoff on a citi bike rings his bell at me repeatedly while he rides on the sidewalk with a bike lane right there and it ruins it all. pedestrian supremacy ftmfw get off my sidewalk everyone else

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

MUPs are stupid, just build big sidewalks with slow and fast lanes for pedestrians of different temperaments, and then have separate e-bike, regular bike, e-scooter, rollerblade/skateboard and bus lanes. Ok fine also one car lane that goes straight to the junkyard where they belong.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

hailthefish posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

eXXon posted:

MUPs are stupid, just build big sidewalks with slow and fast lanes for pedestrians of different temperaments, and then have separate e-bike, regular bike, e-scooter, rollerblade/skateboard and bus lanes. Ok fine also one car lane that goes straight to the junkyard where they belong.

But then the mayor can't just slap a sign on a sidewalk and say "look at all this bike infrastructure I built".

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

eXXon posted:

gently caress off Jared Keeso, I'm not braking for Canada geese.

lol it's funny thinking about how i give canada geese a wide berth and slow down to like 5 kph, and stare at them the whole time that i'm warily passing. they will definitely gently caress you up especially if the goslings are around

this past week i had a great time on my bike going on a 330km ride on country roads over four days. i stayed off the numbered routes and car traffic was extremely minimal, it felt great! would recommend 100%

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
If you use your bell, you'll only hurt their pride, and they'll hate bikes.

If you don't use you're bell, they'll fear for their life and hate bikes.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

hailthefish posted:

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

https://twitter.com/AMAprmaven/status/1694432684011839626

It's supposed to just be a glass of rum and coke.

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

That's not how you run from the police, this is

https://i.imgur.com/zp0v6se.mp4
(sound on)

BeeSeeBee has issued a correction as of 08:26 on Aug 24, 2023

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Maed posted:

sorry the person not on a metal vehicle are the ones everyone else has to yield for, anytime I hear a bike bell as a pedestrian while crossing a bike path at a crosswalk with the light I get so pissed, shut up I'm walking here jerk
Exactly!!1!

Ensign Expendable posted:

Some people just don't realize that there's a world happening around them.

Unfortunately a lot of those people also drive cars
☝️

Grassy Knowles posted:

yes, because when I’m walking with my cane instead of using skates im regularly having it kicked out from under me by a surprisingly diverse group of walking fucksticks.
again, what the actual gently caress. That's loving *assault*.

Mr. Sharps posted:

☝️

I ride pretty fast but if you honk at me, I'm gonna park my bike in the middle of the lane and we're gonna have a little chat.

evil_bunnY has issued a correction as of 09:05 on Aug 24, 2023

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Sad that my rear light came off sometime as I was riding to work this morning, I've had that one for ages and it's always been good. Hope somebody picked it up from the road and keeps using it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

mystes posted:

chipmunks are really bad about following the proper rules for MUPs so maybe spend more time being annoyed at chipmunks

major urinary problems?

e: oh its a term for paths. neat. I didnt know they had a term

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

evil_bunnY posted:

again, what the actual gently caress. That's loving *assault*.

they’re entirely oblivious and couldnt give the slightest poo poo. im trans and disabled, which makes me invisible to them.

i appreciate your shock, but it’s astoundingly common and for most cane users who try to enter any populated space. concerts are terrible. people who are dipshit pricks are gonna be dipshit pricks with whatever they’re given.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

My city was going to put divided bike/pedestrian paths on a street that really needed them, until our progressive NIMBY commissioner decided she didn't want to lose any street trees or on-street parking. I emailed her about the time I discovered a dead cyclist on that street, and she responded with some poo poo about historic character. It looks like we're still getting a MUP that's maybe 1' narrower than the divided option. Good job, everyone

sim
Sep 24, 2003

There's this awesome section of my city's MUP that has a split between peds and bikes, with a ton of signage on the ground and on poles... but people still walk in the bike lane. It's even in the promo photo:

you can't stop these people

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
pedestrians are two legged terrors. walking wherever they please! there's no stopping them

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
being ambulatory ftw

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

sim posted:

There's this awesome section of my city's MUP that has a split between peds and bikes, with a ton of signage on the ground and on poles... but people still walk in the bike lane. It's even in the promo photo:

you can't stop these people

I'm not feeling the awesome part there. The section is wobbly with a bunch of big concrete obstructions for you to crash into if you don't dodge the pedestrians well enough. Also, there isn't really any indication that one side is for bike and one is for walking.

I prefer the dutch method of managing that where the pavement is a different color and tall blond people swear at you if you walk on the one for bikes.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

pedestrians are two legged terrors. walking wherever they please! there's no stopping them

yep that was my complaint you mustve gotten a P+ in reading comprehension this year

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Weembles posted:

I'm not feeling the awesome part there. The section is wobbly with a bunch of big concrete obstructions for you to crash into if you don't dodge the pedestrians well enough. Also, there isn't really any indication that one side is for bike and one is for walking.

I prefer the dutch method of managing that where the pavement is a different color and tall blond people swear at you if you walk on the one for bikes.

Kinda hard to make out in the picture but there's a bike and directional arrows on the pavement of the bike side right by where the person is walking their dog

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
I don't ever really ride on MUPs, but I do have issues with peds on shared mountain bike/hiking trails. I can announce myself and come to a stop 20 feet away from people and they still freak out. I go around them too and don't even make them get off the trail. I'm trying my best! There are a lot of douchebag MTBers in these places, so maybe they're expecting to get run over IDK.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

Hot Diggity! posted:

Kinda hard to make out in the picture but there's a bike and directional arrows on the pavement of the bike side right by where the person is walking their dog

Yes and a bunch of red signs at the start of the pathways. Also I meant "awesome" by USA standards, not Dutch. But also it's only like this for a couple blocks and then it merges back into a single narrow MUP so people are conditioned to walking on the same path as bikes anyway.

I'm being hyperbolic about pedestrians... I actually love that people are out using the pathway instead of driving to the farmers market or whatever

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

the majority of pedestrians are great but that doesnt justify the lovely actions of those who arent. those same folks would be bigger assholes behind the wheel but gently caress i simply dont like people who participate in the public sphere without considerations for others on any mode of transport (outside of gurney or hearse)

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

cat botherer posted:

I don't ever really ride on MUPs, but I do have issues with peds on shared mountain bike/hiking trails. I can announce myself and come to a stop 20 feet away from people and they still freak out. I go around them too and don't even make them get off the trail. I'm trying my best! There are a lot of douchebag MTBers in these places, so maybe they're expecting to get run over IDK.

I had something similar on my roadbike (yes, wearing lycra). While riding on a country road a woman coming the other way (on a commuter bike) was completely distracted by something in the field on the side, not looking at the road at all. A man she was biking with had already made a left turn in front of me so I expected her to do the same. Therefore I came to an almost complete stop and then softly ringed my bell from quite far away. She absent-mindedly looked in my direction, noticed me and immediately screamed in terror before almost falling off her bike, then noticed I was barely even moving and hurriedly crossed the road. People just don't pay any attention at all, and yeah I guess she probably had bad experiences with other roadbikes.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Martian posted:

I had something similar on my roadbike (yes, wearing lycra). While riding on a country road a woman coming the other way (on a commuter bike) was completely distracted by something in the field on the side, not looking at the road at all. A man she was biking with had already made a left turn in front of me so I expected her to do the same. Therefore I came to an almost complete stop and then softly ringed my bell from quite far away. She absent-mindedly looked in my direction, noticed me and immediately screamed in terror before almost falling off her bike, then noticed I was barely even moving and hurriedly crossed the road. People just don't pay any attention at all, and yeah I guess she probably had bad experiences with other roadbikes.
Yeah, it's weird. I'm sure these same people don't have freakouts over cars. OTOH, plenty of hikers on shared trails are very friendly. Some are definitely too submissive, given that they still have right-of-way over bikes. That probably carries over from interacting with cars as a ped.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Martian posted:

Sounds like she was high, to be honest.

Generally, though, all this "nobody knows how to behave themselves" trouble is from the fact that we're in a state of transition. Peopld don't know what to do on a MUP or a bike lane because, until recently, there were no MUPs or bike lanes.

My question is whether all of this will settle down into a useful system on its own if everyone is polite enough or will it require some Glorious Netherlands style barking at people for doing the wrong thing to work.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

cat botherer posted:

Yeah, it's weird. I'm sure these same people don't have freakouts over cars. OTOH, plenty of hikers on shared trails are very friendly. Some are definitely too submissive, given that they still have right-of-way over bikes. That probably carries over from interacting with cars as a ped.

The road cyclist in lycra is the most hated road and path user by all. Just universally reviled. It'd be interested the psychology behind it because passer by are much more likely to react positively to someone riding fast on a non-road bike without a jersey than someone riding slow on a road bike.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

The road cyclist in lycra is the most hated road and path user by all. Just universally reviled. It'd be interested the psychology behind it because passer by are much more likely to react positively to someone riding fast on a non-road bike without a jersey than someone riding slow on a road bike.

i wonder if it's because the lycra is inherently associated with cycling as a sport rather than cycling as a mode of transportation, so they're viewed as people using the road for exercise rather than using it to get somewhere

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
I enjoy riding a bicycle and I think it's cool if more people use bicycles instead of cars, but I've noticed a lot of cyclists in the city I live in are really obnoxious and say all kinds of unjustified things if you're just walking and in their way. It's like they think they're entitled to just pedal as quickly as they want and ride on the sidewalks (even though that's illegal where I live) and never have to stop. It makes me dislike a lot of people on bikes even though conceptually, I should be a real bike partisan. It doesn't matter if they're wearing lycra or not.

I wonder if it's because it's much easier to hear cyclists gripe about the people around them not conforming to their every bratty wish than it is to hear a car driver do the same thing.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

i wonder if it's because the lycra is inherently associated with cycling as a sport rather than cycling as a mode of transportation, so they're viewed as people using the road for exercise rather than using it to get somewhere

I think it's mostly because people have been driving a car behind a lycra-clad road cyclist who took the lane and made them drive slower than they wanted for a few minutes

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Weembles posted:

Generally, though, all this "nobody knows how to behave themselves" trouble is from the fact that we're in a state of transition. Peopld don't know what to do on a MUP or a bike lane because, until recently, there were no MUPs or bike lanes.

My question is whether all of this will settle down into a useful system on its own if everyone is polite enough or will it require some Glorious Netherlands style barking at people for doing the wrong thing to work.

This is the main problem. On mtb/hiking trails for example, you're probably riding up behind casual hikers who have never encountered a bike on a trail and don't know the rules. All they know is that they were hiking along, talking loudly amongst themselves or lost in thought, and suddenly a disembodied voice from behind yells "ONNER LEHF"

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
its true that mountain biking makes hiking very lovely

but lets be honest here, none of it holds a candle to how hosed up everything is because of cars

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Fitzy Fitz posted:

This is the main problem. On mtb/hiking trails for example, you're probably riding up behind casual hikers who have never encountered a bike on a trail and don't know the rules. All they know is that they were hiking along, talking loudly amongst themselves or lost in thought, and suddenly a disembodied voice from behind yells "ONNER LEHF"

Or you're a mountain biker who starts off on a narrow trail expecting everyone to just know that you're King of the Road and jump out of your way.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Weembles posted:

Sounds like she was high, to be honest.

lol that was my first thought, I’ve had similar reactions when riding while baked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

the problem with wearing lycra but biking on the road is then cars try to kill you