Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
I also have to chime in and say that this was one of the most informative threads I've read on the forum.

I'm finally going to go replace my mattress next week, in the hope that it will help fix the lower back-pain I've been having on the side that I sleep on. Since the Drs couldn't find anything wrong I'm holding on to hope that this will work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Nemo2342 posted:

I also have to chime in and say that this was one of the most informative threads I've read on the forum.

I'm finally going to go replace my mattress next week, in the hope that it will help fix the lower back-pain I've been having on the side that I sleep on. Since the Drs couldn't find anything wrong I'm holding on to hope that this will work.

Try putting a pillow under your knees--but go for the big brain move and put it under your mattress. Adding height under your knees (particularly if you're on your back) can reduce a surprising amount of pressure on your lower back.

It's one good reason why adjustable bases are great.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Synastren posted:

Try putting a pillow under your knees--but go for the big brain move and put it under your mattress. Adding height under your knees (particularly if you're on your back) can reduce a surprising amount of pressure on your lower back.

It's one good reason why adjustable bases are great.

Good to know! My old mattress still has to go (one side has a me-sized dent and the other side is sagging as well) but that may help me in the short term.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Those of us who frequent the beginner weightlifting thread would advise you to deadlift.

I had lower back pain for like 10 years and 3-5 sessions where you are deadlifting like 70-90% of what you can 5x with a rest day in between (after some warmup sets) should cure you.

Mine has come back and I know the cure but I'm lazy and have been working insane overtime and other excuses.

Doing it twice at least has tamped down about 90% of the pain, poo poo works, I promise.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Any recommendations on futon mattresses that go on a wood fold down frame? Trying to figure out what to get for my futon frame for a guest bed.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

sugar free jazz posted:

Any recommendations on futon mattresses that go on a wood fold down frame? Trying to figure out what to get for my futon frame for a guest bed.

As far as I know, there aren't a lot of differences across different futon mattresses. They're all effectively really big pillows. If it were me, I'd aim for a thicker one (8 inches), because I slept on one for years in high school that was in that 4-6 inch range.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Went to the local Mattress Firm today, and after being disappointed at seeing the Purple mattress well above Purple's website pricing, ultimately ended up going with a TEMPUR-Adapt 11 in. Medium Hybrid.

Ultimately I ended up liking the way it felt like it held me in place after it warmed up, as opposed to some of the ones that kind of sink into as soon as you laid down on them (like the Purple Premier 3).

I now await the mattress' delivery and Synastren's judgement.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Nemo2342 posted:

Went to the local Mattress Firm today, and after being disappointed at seeing the Purple mattress well above Purple's website pricing, ultimately ended up going with a TEMPUR-Adapt 11 in. Medium Hybrid.

Ultimately I ended up liking the way it felt like it held me in place after it warmed up, as opposed to some of the ones that kind of sink into as soon as you laid down on them (like the Purple Premier 3).

I now await the mattress' delivery and Synastren's judgement.

Adapt is solid. It's virtually the same mattress as the previous generation's most popular model (Cloud Supreme). While I think that the ProAdapt is a significant improvement, I don't think that there is a better foam product in the same price band as the Adapt.

Just please, please make sure you give it time before you decide if it's the right mattress for you or not! A normal break-in period is at least 30 days; for Tempur it's more like 45-60, because it is quite different from everything else.

PS: If you think your person at MF did well or poorly, shoot me a PM with their first name and what store it was, and I'll relay your feedback to their supervisor if you'd like. Feedback is always welcome!

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Synastren posted:

Adapt is solid. It's virtually the same mattress as the previous generation's most popular model (Cloud Supreme). While I think that the ProAdapt is a significant improvement, I don't think that there is a better foam product in the same price band as the Adapt.

Just please, please make sure you give it time before you decide if it's the right mattress for you or not! A normal break-in period is at least 30 days; for Tempur it's more like 45-60, because it is quite different from everything else.

PS: If you think your person at MF did well or poorly, shoot me a PM with their first name and what store it was, and I'll relay your feedback to their supervisor if you'd like. Feedback is always welcome!

Granted it's hard to make a totally in-depth assessment based on laying on the mattress for 5-10 minutes, but I couldn't tell enough difference between the ProAdapt (which was the one the saleperson originally guided me to) and the Adapt to justify the price increase. Most of the money I saved went to getting one of the cheaper adjustable frames instead of using my ancient basic metal frame and box spring, so it's a fair trade off.

And I can't even return this mattress until 30 days have passed, so I have to give it a fair trial whether I like it or not. It's still going to be better than my old falling to pieces mattress.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Nemo2342 posted:

Granted it's hard to make a totally in-depth assessment based on laying on the mattress for 5-10 minutes, but I couldn't tell enough difference between the ProAdapt (which was the one the saleperson originally guided me to) and the Adapt to justify the price increase. Most of the money I saved went to getting one of the cheaper adjustable frames instead of using my ancient basic metal frame and box spring, so it's a fair trade off.

And I can't even return this mattress until 30 days have passed, so I have to give it a fair trial whether I like it or not. It's still going to be better than my old falling to pieces mattress.

This was the right choice over the ProAdapt.

Also, if you're nice but insistent, that 30 day trial is more of a suggestion and less of a hard and fast rule. If you're a dick, we'll see you in 30 days, though, every time.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Synastren posted:

This was the right choice over the ProAdapt.

Also, if you're nice but insistent, that 30 day trial is more of a suggestion and less of a hard and fast rule. If you're a dick, we'll see you in 30 days, though, every time.

Good to know! Is there also a way around the “no money back” clause if I end up returning it for a cheaper option? The salesperson said I could maybe sweetalk them into tossing in more pillows, but I don’t know that I need that many more.

Also I would have really liked to get the fancy adjustable frame that was displayed on the Adapt, but I couldn’t justify the cost when I’m mostly going to use it to sit up and read before bed. I couldn’t see myself really using the massage feature, but the USB ports were nice.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

I got the frame with the massaging feature when I bought my LuxeAdapt in January. Honestly, you’re not missing out on much.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Nemo2342 posted:

Good to know! Is there also a way around the “no money back” clause if I end up returning it for a cheaper option? The salesperson said I could maybe sweetalk them into tossing in more pillows, but I don’t know that I need that many more.

Also I would have really liked to get the fancy adjustable frame that was displayed on the Adapt, but I couldn’t justify the cost when I’m mostly going to use it to sit up and read before bed. I couldn’t see myself really using the massage feature, but the USB ports were nice.

Uh, there isn't a "no money back" clause, assuming they're not a franchise. There is a restock fee, and a return delivery fee, but if you're owed a refund you just get a refund. Also, since Tempur is a MAP product (i.e., manufacturer dictates pricing on products, including what promotions those products participate in), the salesperson could get in a lot of trouble by ignoring that. We've seen local businesses actually have Tempur pull their entire portfolio off of their floor for violating pricing guidelines, so that's a dangerous game to even suggest.

I would recommend raising the head of your base about 2 inches before you nod off. That's high enough to achieve some relief in breathing, open the upper respiratory tract (read: lighter snoring, if applicable), and to help a bit with heartburn. Nudge the legs up a little bit for some pressure relief in the lower back, and help line up your hips if you sleep on your side. If you have a base and you're not using it to sleep better, you're doing it wrong, and we've done a disservice by not illustrating that point well!

pastor of muppets posted:

I got the frame with the massaging feature when I bought my LuxeAdapt in January. Honestly, you’re not missing out on much.

YMMV, but the point of the massage feature is to knock you out or help recover from soreness. It encourages capillary blood flow, which evokes a physiological relaxation response and encourages the breakdown of lactic acid. I use it most nights, and I'm awake for it to turn off maybe once a month. Before getting it, I could lay there for an hour or two before conking out.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Synastren posted:

Uh, there isn't a "no money back" clause, assuming they're not a franchise. There is a restock fee, and a return delivery fee, but if you're owed a refund you just get a refund. Also, since Tempur is a MAP product (i.e., manufacturer dictates pricing on products, including what promotions those products participate in), the salesperson could get in a lot of trouble by ignoring that. We've seen local businesses actually have Tempur pull their entire portfolio off of their floor for violating pricing guidelines, so that's a dangerous game to even suggest.

To be clear, what I was told was that if I didn't like a say $2000 mattress and exchanged it for an $1500 mattress under the comfort exchange policy, I would not be refunded the difference. It was said that I could possibly talk them into making up some of that difference via merchandise such as pillows, though.

I will note that this is not actually written on any of the paperwork, which does mention the 30% restock fee and return delivery fee if I decide to get a refund instead of an exchange.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Nemo2342 posted:

To be clear, what I was told was that if I didn't like a say $2000 mattress and exchanged it for an $1500 mattress under the comfort exchange policy, I would not be refunded the difference. It was said that I could possibly talk them into making up some of that difference via merchandise such as pillows, though.

I will note that this is not actually written on any of the paperwork, which does mention the 30% restock fee and return delivery fee if I decide to get a refund instead of an exchange.

That definitely sounds like a franchise thing, which is not surprising given the location you told me.

The general corporate policy is here: https://www.mattressfirm.com/en-us/stores/ak/anchorage/133003/

quote:

You may exchange your mattress once, with a return delivery fee of $99.99*, and receive, as credit toward the purchase price of a different mattress, the purchase price of your original mattress less a restocking fee equal to 10% of your original mattress purchase price (restocking fee not to exceed $250). If you still aren’t absolutely satisfied with your new mattress, you can return it with a return delivery fee of $99.99* and receive, as a refund, the purchase price of your new mattress less a restocking fee equal to 20% of your new mattress purchase price (restocking fee must not exceed $500). Your refunded purchase price will be further reduced by any state use taxes that we are required to apply. Mattress Firm is unable to exchange or refund stained, unsanitary or damaged mattresses under the 120 Night Sleep Trial®. That’s why we highly recommend using a waterproof mattress protector to help keep your new mattress clean. In addition, we recommend keeping all original tags on your mattress. If you remove the law tag from the mattress or foundation, it will void the 120 Night Sleep Trial®.

If it turns out to be a problem, it wouldn't hurt to ask why it's different than what's online. Franchises account for less than 5% of all of the Mattress Firm locations in the country, so it's certainly a valid question!

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Synastren posted:

That definitely sounds like a franchise thing, which is not surprising given the location you told me.

The general corporate policy is here: https://www.mattressfirm.com/en-us/stores/ak/anchorage/133003/

If it turns out to be a problem, it wouldn't hurt to ask why it's different than what's online. Franchises account for less than 5% of all of the Mattress Firm locations in the country, so it's certainly a valid question!

Yeah the local policy is far more restrictive; it doesn't apply at all if you don't buy a protector from them when you buy the mattress and you only have 60 days to return/exchange the mattress. Unfortunately they run all the Mattress Firms in this part of the state.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Just to double check, I got this mattress recently
https://www.amazon.com/Avenco-Mattress-Isolation-Individually-NDSM30/dp/B0BKQ9628W

and have this frame
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BWC1X3S

The only reason I would need a box spring or frame is for extra height, correct?

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

GWBBQ posted:

Just to double check, I got this mattress recently
https://www.amazon.com/Avenco-Mattress-Isolation-Individually-NDSM30/dp/B0BKQ9628W

and have this frame
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BWC1X3S

The only reason I would need a box spring or frame is for extra height, correct?

I would say that you are correct, yes. At least, that platform frame would work with any major manufacturer, so it should be fine!

Smithwick
Jun 20, 2003
My wife has decided we need a new mattress. She sleeps hot and is looking for something that will work with that. She had done some research and has tentatively decided on the Saatva Latex Hybrid in a queen size. We are both side sleepers. I weight about 190 and she is about 120.

I’ve read through the last couple of pages of this thread and I didn’t read anything that would make me think this is a bad decision. Is there something I am missing or should be considering as alternatives?

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Smithwick posted:

My wife has decided we need a new mattress. She sleeps hot and is looking for something that will work with that. She had done some research and has tentatively decided on the Saatva Latex Hybrid in a queen size. We are both side sleepers. I weight about 190 and she is about 120.

I’ve read through the last couple of pages of this thread and I didn’t read anything that would make me think this is a bad decision. Is there something I am missing or should be considering as alternatives?

Saatva makes some good stuff, but please keep in mind it'll likely be firm. From what little [indirect] experience I have with them, they tend to surprise folks with how firm they can be. A layer of latex that is 3 inches thick is insane, as most mattresses with it use 1 inch layers that they may stack. BeautyRest only uses half an inch in their Black line, even.

Seems like a solid enough mattress, with nothing that sets off alarm bells for a heat worry. In the ~$2k price range, there are a lot of options that may include cooling directly (e.g., Sealy High Point hybrids, or Serta iSeries/iComfort hybrids), and most products shouldn't sleep overly hot.

My biggest suggestion is to pay attention to what sheets and protector you use with whatever you get, because those play a strong role in overall microclimate.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
For what it's worth, about a year ago I got a Saatva Zenhaven mattress because even though it was pricey, I figured this was the place to splurge. He's not kidding about them being firm. I'm currently looking for a replacement because I want to return this before the 365-day trial is up. The best way I can put it is that sometimes when I'm sleeping on it, it feels like the mattress is trying to kick me out of the bed. It doesn't want me on it, it's trying to reject me! Additionally, even though I eventually get used to sleeping on the mattress, whenever I go away and sleep in a hotel for a few days, it takes me a few days when I get back to "readjust" to my home bed. That really feels like a non-starter for keeping this mattress, which is why I'm looking into a return.

For what it's worth, neither my wife or I feel too hot on it, so hopefully you won't have that issue. But the mattress supposedly has a "firm" side and a "medium" side, and they both feel pretty loving firm to me.

My wife likes a latex mattress, though I may be able to talk her into a latex hybrid mattress if that's the best option. Does anyone have any recommendations? In addition to the Zenhaven, we also got the standard Thuma mattress for our guest room. While it's nice, I think it may be a little TOO mushy/soft to be our 'every night' mattress.

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 03:46 on May 10, 2023

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

I've had my luxury firm Saatva since 2018, been treating me pretty well to the point I pondered the logistics of taking it with me on a move or just outright buying one at the new place. The latter is a bit perilous as oof they've gone up a fair amount :prepop:

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Nemo2342 posted:

Might just be because they are a franchise, I told my local mattress firm I shop the online purple sales constantly for like 4 years now and I still haven't pulled the trigger because my current mattress is still fairly new.

They told me not only would they match or beat any website deal but they'd throw in more swag and returns and stuff would go easier locally.

I was just glad to lay on one for a bit, but they always come out with new "better" versions and then they don't ever go on sale too much, $800 off 4k or whatever if I get a king and base isn't that amazing even. (That was like the best I saw for their newest product)

They throw in a lot of extra bedding and pillow stuff on some of those sales though!

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Might just be because they are a franchise, I told my local mattress firm I shop the online purple sales constantly for like 4 years now and I still haven't pulled the trigger because my current mattress is still fairly new.

They told me not only would they match or beat any website deal but they'd throw in more swag and returns and stuff would go easier locally.

I was just glad to lay on one for a bit, but they always come out with new "better" versions and then they don't ever go on sale too much, $800 off 4k or whatever if I get a king and base isn't that amazing even. (That was like the best I saw for their newest product)

They throw in a lot of extra bedding and pillow stuff on some of those sales though!

There aren't that many franchises left; I think less than 10% of the total footprint are.

If they're corporate, they shouldn't be offering anything beyond what Purple offers, much like Tempur or Beautyrest Black... but if they are offering something silly, you can certainly get much more than you should. If you're not sure about what they're offering you, feel free to PM me and I'll give you my take on whatever they suggested they do.

For what it's worth, Purple hasn't really come out with any substantive revisions of their product since introducing them. They've changed the covers once, I think, in the last 4 years. They introduced a few new products (Plus, the Kids mattress, and they used their Intellibed acquisition to make Lux), but nothing really has changed with anything that already existed. I think that there may be some new covers coming soon, but I don't know for sure. I doubt they'll change the mattresses much, though.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Hello mattress thread. Is there an update to the OP? I imagine mattress tech and mattress best practices haven't evolved much in the last 3-7 years. But the market and cost may have?

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Otis Reddit posted:

Hello mattress thread. Is there an update to the OP? I imagine mattress tech and mattress best practices haven't evolved much in the last 3-7 years. But the market and cost may have?

I've considered doing a new thread, not sure if that'd be the way to go.

I'd love to get some feedback before deciding whether to do that or not.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Synastren posted:

I'm no longer in the mattress market (thanks to this here thread), but when I'm looking at a thread like - a thread about an expensive line of products that I might know gently caress all about - the first thing I'm looking at is the date of the OP, and if it's more then a few years old, I kind of assume it's out of date. To that end, even if you end up copy-pasting all the information because it's still valid, just 're-dating' it would probably be worthwhile.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I'm no longer in the mattress market (thanks to this here thread), but when I'm looking at a thread like - a thread about an expensive line of products that I might know gently caress all about - the first thing I'm looking at is the date of the OP, and if it's more then a few years old, I kind of assume it's out of date. To that end, even if you end up copy-pasting all the information because it's still valid, just 're-dating' it would probably be worthwhile.

For me, I scroll to the bottom of the OP and look at the last edited date stamp. If that's relatively recent, then everything's good. Even if you just edit the OP to include updated pricing and a line at the top calling out the edit, then that should suffice.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Synastren posted:

I say do it. I've definitely enjoyed and trusted this thread over just random googling, and an updated OP would be a great help. I wind up here every couple of years when it's time for something new, like now!

I'm trying to figure out the best option for my kiddo. She's only 5, but I'm looking to get her a full mattress so I can lie down with her for storytime at night. After doing some poking, I'm not seeing anything consistent on the best way to go for kids. She currently sleeps on a purple twin mattress which she seems to like, but she's also 5 and would probably like anything. Is there any good consensus on what's best for kids?

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Yeah, see, you guys get it. The date posted, then the last-edited date.

Are Amazon Basics worth it? Zinus Green Tea Memory Foam? Help?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Otis Reddit posted:

I used the Zinus Green Tea Memory Foam topper on my sunken pillowtop for four years, while it did soften an otherwise firm sleeping surface, the tradeoff was that it got hot and didn't breathe. I chucked it and replaced it with something much thinner, and as a bonus my fitted sheets don't pop off at the corners any more.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

neogeo0823 posted:

For me, I scroll to the bottom of the OP and look at the last edited date stamp. If that's relatively recent, then everything's good. Even if you just edit the OP to include updated pricing and a line at the top calling out the edit, then that should suffice.

This isn't my thread, I just took it over. :ssh:

This started as a Tell thread, coincidentally posted by an old StarCraft 2 buddy of mine, I just popped in and stayed.

Chili posted:

I'm trying to figure out the best option for my kiddo. She's only 5, but I'm looking to get her a full mattress so I can lie down with her for storytime at night. After doing some poking, I'm not seeing anything consistent on the best way to go for kids. She currently sleeps on a purple twin mattress which she seems to like, but she's also 5 and would probably like anything. Is there any good consensus on what's best for kids?

There isn't a hard and fast rule for kids, unfortunately. At the end of the day, get something that you can tolerate hanging on on with her that won't murder your wallet more than you would like.

Otis Reddit posted:

They're OK products, but I wouldn't look at them for long term use. If you're looking for something to hold up for 1-5 years, it will likely do what you are looking for. If you're looking for a longer term solution, I don't know how highly I'd recommend it.

Right now, you're likely in the $500+ range to get a product that will outlast 5 years.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Is this the right place to ask about pillows?

I haven't bought new pillows for longer than I can remember, so the ones I'm using probably need replacing.

Where do I look for pillows these days? This definitely seems like a try in person thing.

What are the options? Down? Foam? Fancy foam?

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Any mattress recommendations for a side sleeper? I currently have a 10-year-old Leesa that developed an indentation a while ago, so I am looking for a replacement.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Is this the right place to ask about pillows?

I haven't bought new pillows for longer than I can remember, so the ones I'm using probably need replacing.

Where do I look for pillows these days? This definitely seems like a try in person thing.

What are the options? Down? Foam? Fancy foam?

Generally speaking, that's kind of a moving target that is a combination of your preference along with your mattress and sleeping position.
Thingies to consider:
  • The amount your shoulders sink in, and the consequent space between your head and the mattress.
  • Do you prefer more on top of the pillow or more of a cuddly pillow?
  • Do you want the pillow to be moldable, or do you want it to retain its shape?

Generally, the softer and fluffier the pillow, the less supportive it will be. Functionally, fluffier pillows are lower than their loft (read: height) would suggest.

The goal of a pillow is to fill in the gap between your head and the mattress to allow your spine to comfortably rest. The thickness required is based on how much of a gap their is, determined by the combination of your sleeping position and the buoyancy of the mattress. If you have a mattress that you stay very on top of and sleep on your side, you will likely need a relatively thick pillow. Conversely, a sinky bed for a stomach sleeper may necessitate a sliver of a pillow.

Material firmness is primarily a preference thing. Memory foam tends to be warmest unless it has cooling properties to make up for that.

I can give more pointed suggestions if I know more!

theHUNGERian posted:

Any mattress recommendations for a side sleeper? I currently have a 10-year-old Leesa that developed an indentation a while ago, so I am looking for a replacement.

Knowing nothing else, I'd aim for something medium-to-soft, particularly on top of the mattress. Don't trap yourself into thinking that softness dictates support. Find a mattress that feels like you're in a natural posture when on your side, and that you feel no pressure in major pressure points (e.g., hips, shoulders).

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Synastren posted:

I can give more pointed suggestions if I know more!

I'm primarily a stomach sleeper and prefer a fairly moldable pillow. I've always like the down pillows I've had for this.

My biggest issue is where to even find them. There are so few brick and mortar stores left I'm not sure where to check.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

I'm primarily a stomach sleeper and prefer a fairly moldable pillow. I've always like the down pillows I've had for this.

My biggest issue is where to even find them. There are so few brick and mortar stores left I'm not sure where to check.

Any specialty mattress retailer around you (e.g., Mattress Firm, Sleep Outfitters, Sleep Number, Denver Mattress, etc.) should have some pillows to try in-store, but may not have something you can carry out.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Where do I get high quality California King blankets and comforters that won't fall apart or be uncomfortable?

I don't really have a budget, because I don't really know what they should cost, if that makes sense.

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

Hello goons. I am in need of a mattress. Queen sized for two side sleepers. The dog sleeps with us and is a big fluff and my partner and I are both hot sleepers. It also doesn’t help we live in Florida. I plan to head to a mattress store soon and try out a bed or ten. I’m willing to spend around $1500ish give or take a little on either side. I have extreme analysis paralysis when looking at online options including bed in a box considerations. Help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

All I can say is I switched away from a memory foam topped mattress and the new one sleeps a lot cooler than the old one. Memory foam always felt a bit suffocating to me!