Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
The Berserkers' slam attack may be berserk :haw:, but I think--pound for pound--the enemies that received the nastiest revamp were the Brains who will absolutely fling you around like a ragdoll and zap you with laser beam eyes that are pinpoint accurate and have almost no wind-up and absorb lots of damage while doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hogama posted:

I remember 4fort

but when's someone going to be brave enough to bring back 8fort

Thank you for dredging deep in the nostalgia seas to bring me this post

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

Gotta rush 'em down fast in get in their face, and then 2 slaps of the ol' slappin' Super Shotgun*

*note: not always applicable on low gravity maps, or when there's 2+, or generally when you've got a higher priority target you've got to do a dodge dance for

I’m using the super shotgun but I keep letting them come to me. I’ll try being more aggressive.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Baron von Eevl posted:

When I was younger I'd play with godmode on anyway and just take it as the levels being puzzles to solve, so no shame for wanting an easier experience. Play on easy or cheat, I will absolutely not fault you for that.

That takes me back. I really struggled to engage with action games when I was younger so I'd spend a lot of time making Half-Life or Opposing Force or whatever upset by noclipping past stuff I didn't feel like dealing with or using god mode liberally.

The weird part is that it largely came after I had already cut my teeth on deathmatch games. Itty bitty me could keep up in Q3A, but dying over and over to scripted sequences was a bridge too far apparently.

(Weirder still is that I got onto the deathmatch train straight outta Myst, but that's whole 'nother story.)

Weird Sandwich posted:

I think the core game mechanics are so good that even the bad maps are fun to play on. Gold Rush and Dustbowl are badly designed in many ways but still remain popular choices. But then I also enjoy playing Turbine so maybe don't listen to me

Thinking about the surely extant contingent of TF2 players who say 2Fort is a terrible map but then love Turbine and getting mad about it.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

SeANMcBAY posted:

I’m using the super shotgun but I keep letting them come to me. I’ll try being more aggressive.

Yeah, they'll usually only lunge if you're far away from them.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
What the hell, Turbo Overkill is so good. I saw a stream of it in early access a long rear end time ago, wasn't even planning on getting it, so it's been a really nice surprise. Definitely worth checking out if you enjoy fast paced stuff like Doom Eternal. You don't have to juggle weapons, but you absolutely can and it's encouraged cause then you can skip cooldowns to unload your single and doublebarrel shotgun at the same time. Great soundtrack, the weapon upgrades are interesting, and I really like how you keep unlocking movement augments throughout the episodes, they really change up how quickly you can get around the combat arenas.
It has a sniper rifle that telefrags!! Cause who's gonna sit around sniping when you have chainsaw legs?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

RE: Dark Forces, I thought it was cool that enemies (at least Stormtroopers) couldn't necessarily see you in dark environments, and you could creep around them with the IR goggles active without aggro'ing them, but using the headlight would cause them to spot you. I'd never seen that in a contemporary FPS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KSAePrwotU&t=419s

They got that in fallen aces, though a demo obviously isn't a complete game

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Re: level chat, I'm the weirdo who wants to play CS:GO on pleasant looking maps like lake house instead of playing loving de_dust again.

I loving love office so much and all people want is dust2 dust2 dust2. God I loving hate dust2. My choice for most overrated map of all time

Baron von Eevl posted:

My understanding is the "new" AI behaviors are mostly things that were cut from the original release due to not being finished by the time they needed to ship. This includes things like enemies being a little better at dodging projectiles or moving while shooting, and some enemies like the berserker having a leaping attack. It's not so much as enemies being bullshit as "wow, this behavior was kind of stupid and this game was way too easy" because id had to make compromises to get the game out on time.

Level and architecture changes are mostly very minor changes to fill the world out a bit more. There are a few areas that were cut from the original game due to time that were put back in, most significantly an area in the first level. Enemy changes beyond the AI improvements are things that the expansion packs added, such as some changes to the brains.

The berserker leap attack is total loving bullshit though. I'm not sure you can even dodge it. You'll very rarely kill one en route and I'm certain that stops the animation but it doesn't happen much and there's little windup. They'll be running at you like assholes one second then cover 50 yards the next

e: oh people complain about the berserker in the next posts lol

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Aug 24, 2023

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Milo and POTUS posted:

The berserker leap attack is total loving bullshit though. I'm not sure you can even dodge it. You'll very rarely kill one en route and I'm certain that stops the animation but it doesn't happen much and there's little windup. They'll be running at you like assholes one second then cover 50 yards the next

sounds like a Fiend from Q1 on cocaine

every successful "dodge" I've had on a Berserker has been "oh gently caress I fell off a ledge" or "oops rocket jump"

on the other hand, I got an Enforcer and a Berserker to fight each other, and the Berserker did his uppercut spike and it was a perfect decapitation death animation on the Enforcer

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
Here I got a good clip of how huge the berserker AOE is

https://media.discordapp.net/attach...0.04.53.824.mp4

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I finished Quake 2 The Reckoning, I’m glad that’s over. I totally cheesed the second Makron fight with dual fire, quad damage, and spamming the Phalanx. I liked that the lower gravity made the Makron’s upper half go flying when he died.

I’m a few levels into Quake 2 64 and it’s really breezy and light by comparison. I’m enjoying it even if it’s a little rudimentary (and I understand why). I don’t know how much fun it would be with an N64 controller.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I never had much difficulty with n64 fps controls. I switched it to a more modern fps control scheme long ago with the strafe on one side and the look on the stick. This worked fine for goldeneye and perfect dark, arguably good even but those games didn't have a pretty necessary jump. I'm sure that would be the biggest pain in the rear end. Maybe if you used the c controls as movement, could you do that

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

I was looking at the Quake 2 bestiary, and there are two N64 enemies -- the Guardian and the Arachnid -- that I never saw in the game. Though I think I saw a single Arachnid in the new expansion. Has anyone seen the Guardian at all, or any Arachnids in 64?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

HolyKrap posted:

I remember joining a NeoTF server when I was like 12 and it was running 4fort and it was one of the most confusing experiences of my life. I haven't played it since, the only thing I remember is that you needed to bind a million console commands to even play.

Learning how to patch games, install mods, and use console commands as a child literally was the basis for me becoming a professional computer toucher (IT).

12 year old me spent a lot of time working out how to download, install, and configure Jumbot for Half-Life deathmatch because I wanted to play so badly. Same thing with Foxbot for TFC (which I eventually got working with NeoTF also!).

Same thing with Tiberian Sun/Red Alert 2. Anyone remember Deezire for RA2?

Of course, this was all born out of necessity because the computer I played these games on were in my room which didn't have Internet in it.

E: We had an older computer in the living room that DID have Internet on it, and a CD-RW drive. I would download stuff on that computer, burn it to a CD and then transfer it over.

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Aug 24, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Prophet of Nixon posted:

I was looking at the Quake 2 bestiary, and there are two N64 enemies -- the Guardian and the Arachnid -- that I never saw in the game. Though I think I saw a single Arachnid in the new expansion. Has anyone seen the Guardian at all, or any Arachnids in 64?

They’re not from the N64, they’re from the PS1 version. The remaster adds an Arachnid in the Torture Cells in the base game, and the Guardian appears as a boss in Call of the Machine. (I might be remembering wrong on the second one.)

Arivia fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Aug 24, 2023

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Learning how to patch games, install mods, and use console commands as a child literally was the basis for me becoming a professional computer toucher (IT).

12 year old me spent a lot of time working out how to download, install, and configure Jumbot for Half-Life deathmatch because I wanted to play so badly. Same thing with Foxbot for TFC (which I eventually got working with NeoTF also!).

Same thing with Tiberian Sun/Red Alert 2. Anyone remember Deezire for RA2?

Of course, this was all born out of necessity because the computer I played these games on were in my room which didn't have Internet in it.

E: We had an older computer in the living room that DID have Internet on it, and a CD-RW drive. I would download stuff on that computer, burn it to a CD and then transfer it over.

I couldn't get the handle of installing mods until a few years later when I upgraded from dial-up. I spent so long trying to get entmod working, but had to settle with just watching people play it cause you needed admin to do anything cool :(

Goldsrc modding is still my favourite though. Something about servers being able to run whatever plugins they want, through AMX or whatever and people can just download it all when they join, those were fun times. You could join a bunch of random servers and they'd all have their own stupid gimmicks.
Last I checked, some of those bot mods are pretty smart now, like they can learn the map based on player movement and where pickups are at.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

HolyKrap posted:

I couldn't get the handle of installing mods until a few years later when I upgraded from dial-up. I spent so long trying to get entmod working, but had to settle with just watching people play it cause you needed admin to do anything cool :(

Goldsrc modding is still my favourite though. Something about servers being able to run whatever plugins they want, through AMX or whatever and people can just download it all when they join, those were fun times. You could join a bunch of random servers and they'd all have their own stupid gimmicks.
Last I checked, some of those bot mods are pretty smart now, like they can learn the map based on player movement and where pickups are at.

Yeah, as a kid it seemed like the possibilities that existed because of mods were almost limitless. When I finally got that computer online a year or two later, it was like I touched a monolith or something. You would hop from server to server and it would be insane mods, maps, sounds, models etc. It just never seemed to end.

drat. I miss those days.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Milo and POTUS posted:

I never had much difficulty with n64 fps controls. I switched it to a more modern fps control scheme long ago with the strafe on one side and the look on the stick. This worked fine for goldeneye and perfect dark, arguably good even but those games didn't have a pretty necessary jump. I'm sure that would be the biggest pain in the rear end. Maybe if you used the c controls as movement, could you do that

I grew up playing Goldeneye and Perfect Dark using vanilla 1.1 controls and I remember doing alright (somehow), but it’s been so long since I played that I suspect I could wrangle any of the control schemes if given some time. I just much prefer dual-stick controls nowadays.

About that, I remember struggling with the Alien Resurrection FPS’s then-revolutionary dual stick controls when the game came out, but on a replay fairly recently I found it to be a breeze.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yeah, as a kid it seemed like the possibilities that existed because of mods were almost limitless. When I finally got that computer online a year or two later, it was like I touched a monolith or something. You would hop from server to server and it would be insane mods, maps, sounds, models etc. It just never seemed to end.

drat. I miss those days.

With HL and WC3 you got 2 awesome games with a seemingly limitless amount of other games to play, many in different genres. God I miss being younger

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I spent countless hours combing the World Wide Web for UT'99 content. When you're on dial-up and every 4 MB custom model or skin takes 10-15 minutes to download, you cherish them!

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Arivia posted:

They’re not from the N64, they’re from the PS1 version. The remaster adds an Arachnid in the Torture Cells in the base game, and the Guardian appears as a boss in Call of the Machine. (I might be remembering wrong on the second one.)

The Arachnid up in Operation Firewall in Call of the Machine, and it made me say "what the gently caress is that" out loud when it showed up. It didn't have a health bar with a name to my recollection but it was tough enough to be a miniboss. I was kind of disappointed that it didn't show up at least a couple more times in other missions. I thought it was a new enemy entirely when I saw it, but it looks like, based on the in-game enemy list, that only the Gunner Commander is the only new enemy not from an expansion, console version, or Quake.

I don't remember seeing the Guardian at all in Call of the Machine! My brain is kind of mush though.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Aug 24, 2023

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Not sure if I'm really feeling Return to Castle Wolfenstein so far. It's very brown, there are annoying mummies that explode into crackers, and it seems to take itself very seriously. I'm on the 6th level or so, should I keep going?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

nemesis_hub posted:

Not sure if I'm really feeling Return to Castle Wolfenstein so far. It's very brown, there are annoying mummies that explode into crackers, and it seems to take itself very seriously. I'm on the 6th level or so, should I keep going?

stick around until you get to the airfield level, game gets really good from there

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Sprawl
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1549690/SPRAWL/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqYI8bOfzV8

Like Turbo Overkill, but less gooder?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Yeah I watched the first ten minutes or so of the ABGamer look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJtk5_PH0pU

A year or three back I'd have been all over this but the boomer / cyber shooter fatigue is real and this just tipped the balance over to 'that's enough for me thanks'

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

Gotta rush 'em down fast in get in their face, and then 2 slaps of the ol' slappin' Super Shotgun*

*note: not always applicable on low gravity maps, or when there's 2+, or generally when you've got a higher priority target you've got to do a dodge dance for**

These are the moments where you realize that the chaingun has some very good uses...

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

drat. I miss those days.

It was the absolute greatest time

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

It looks fun but god I was dragging by the end of Ground Zero and I gotta take a break from single player shooters for a spell. Could easily see me picking it up at next major sale, probably christmas though

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

It looks fun but god I was dragging by the end of Ground Zero and I gotta take a break from single player shooters for a spell. Could easily see me picking it up at next major sale, probably christmas though

I played Turbo Overkill, the Amid Evil expansion and the Quake 2 remaster in a row, I'm the same, I need a break from FPS.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K67MBJuw5O0
I was watching some gamescom trailers, and I found that one. Is it... based on a HL1 mod or something?

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K67MBJuw5O0
I was watching some gamescom trailers, and I found that one. Is it... based on a HL1 mod or something?

This one has been in development for some time. It used to look even MORE like Half-Life.

Want to play it, though.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Just saw it pop up on my wishlist, how's the Amid Evil expansion? Worth dropping some money over it? It was my favourite of the retro-style shooters, edging out Dusk slightly (because I am a scaredy cat that couldn't handle Dusk's chapter 3 monster) so am happy to pop back in if it's a decent length + fun; just looking for initial impressions and not like a whole campaign review

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

It's only 10 bucks so if you liked the first one, most def. What chapter 3 monster?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Artelier posted:

Just saw it pop up on my wishlist, how's the Amid Evil expansion? Worth dropping some money over it? It was my favourite of the retro-style shooters, edging out Dusk slightly (because I am a scaredy cat that couldn't handle Dusk's chapter 3 monster) so am happy to pop back in if it's a decent length + fun; just looking for initial impressions and not like a whole campaign review

If you like AE that much, then yes it's worth it. Imo it's higher quality than the base game (in exchange, it's shorter of course).

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Squeezy Farm posted:

Here I got a good clip of how huge the berserker AOE is

https://media.discordapp.net/attach...0.04.53.824.mp4

you also took exactly 1 point of damage.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Milo and POTUS posted:

I loving love office so much and all people want is dust2 dust2 dust2. God I loving hate dust2. My choice for most overrated map of all time

I think dust2 is just the perfect, quintessential Counter-Strike map. I guess I can understand fatigue with it, but I think it's the perfect map for that game.

Other CS maps have only ever been a curiosity for me. A palette cleanser for a few games, but most of the time I fire up CS I'm entirely happy to just roll straight into the dust playlist.

Office is a good time. I like Italy for nostalgic reasons but I'm bad at it.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's only 10 bucks so if you liked the first one, most def. What chapter 3 monster?

The horror that is this guy.

In a still he's not that scary or anything like that but with the great sound design and the first person view and me being bad with jump scares, the moment the monster was introduced I was basically on pins and needles anytime I was exploring and I didn't like that and dropped it.

Also thanks for the AE impressions! Grabbing itttt

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

you also took exactly 1 point of damage.

Yeah, it's the typical CC attack, low damage, but it messes up your position.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I figured you were supposed to jump to avoid the slam attack but I don't think that works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I just think it's wild how they'll like travel around corners in midair.