Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

goblin week posted:

The Shinryu fight was so loving miserable.

Stormblood over though!! I really liked it. It also really smoothened out the bumpy parts of Heavensward so it wasn’t very… difficult at times

That one's an experience. It's painful when you get there undergeared (by current tomestone standards, at parity back in the day was rough) but most of the X.0 capstones were. Where he stands out above the rest is that even if you can survive a hit a lot of his attacks aren't telegraphed well and can send you right off the map, so there's little chance to learn. I think I died five times my first go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Bruceski posted:

That one's an experience. It's painful when you get there undergeared (by current tomestone standards, at parity back in the day was rough) but most of the X.0 capstones were. Where he stands out above the rest is that even if you can survive a hit a lot of his attacks aren't telegraphed well and can send you right off the map, so there's little chance to learn. I think I died five times my first go.

The best advice I ever got in the game was taking the target cast bar and putting that baby smack dab in the middle of my screen right beneath the character, and making it larger so it's very easy to tell when an ability is being used and read the name so as to know what it is.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

bobtheconqueror posted:

The best advice I ever got in the game was taking the target cast bar and putting that baby smack dab in the middle of my screen right beneath the character, and making it larger so it's very easy to tell when an ability is being used and read the name so as to know what it is.

Reading? In my video games? I don't think so, Tim!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

bobtheconqueror posted:

i have that bar huge, and i also added an additional read-only hotbar for all my CDs right next to it and my health bar / eukrasia icon / etc etc.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Kheldarn posted:

I haven't started Island Sanctuary yet, but when I do, I'm planning to use Crimes to help, because I'm pretty sure there's something for the tedious gathering…

DACK FAYDEN posted:

if there is please indicate it to me, I do a lot of crime and I haven't found one

So, here's what I've found.

The GoatCorp Repo has:
AutoMammet
Beachcomber
ReSanctuary
Workshop Optimizer Plugin

The ChrisMellor Repo has:
Glaive's Island Sanctuary Gather Automation

And the awgil Repo has:
Island Sanctuary Automation

I still haven't started on IS yet, so I can't attest to how well these do or don't work.

Good luck!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
https://twitter.com/LionOfUldah/status/1524152151588618240

Edit - watch out, there is a naked butt in this Twitter thread that I didn’t see when I first looked.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Aug 24, 2023

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Can I just live in Shadowbringers? I think it's the best video game i've ever played.

I'm skittish about starting EW because i've heard "yeah, it's good, it's no shb, but worth playing"

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Jonny 290 posted:

Can I just live in Shadowbringers? I think it's the best video game i've ever played.

I'm skittish about starting EW because i've heard "yeah, it's good, it's no shb, but worth playing"

In my book, Endwalker's better than Shadowbringers.

It's got one dud zone, but even that saves itself better than ShB's one dud zone.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Jonny 290 posted:

It's still pretty great. A 9.5 to shb's 10 imo.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

EW is a crazy good finale story. Just know going in that it's set up to be the finale to the multi-expansion arc. In Shadowbringers, they had a lot more opportunity to set up stakes unique to that story. In EW, the stakes can be surprising, but ultimately they are directly based on what came before (but they pull some great surprises in the way in which the stakes are based on what came before).

I think common consensus is that EW is in the same league as Shadowbringers, regardless of if a person thinks it's a little better or a little worse. But this is an average of what I've read. Plenty of people here would disagree in some way or another, I'm sure. Either way, EW and ShB are my top two Final Fantasy games.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

The ending of EW is like, on par with the 5.2-5.3 MSQ emotionally, imo. And you get some awesome character moments throughout.

It's my second favourite expansion for sure, after ShB. HW is a close third.

Unrelated houuuuugh god they really need to go back and re-dub ARR with the current voice cast if they're gonna insist on keeping Praetorium's cutscenes unskippable.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Kazinsal posted:

The ending of EW is like, on par with the 5.2-5.3 MSQ emotionally, imo. And you get some awesome character moments throughout.

It's my second favourite expansion for sure, after ShB. HW is a close third.

Unrelated houuuuugh god they really need to go back and re-dub ARR with the current voice cast if they're gonna insist on keeping Praetorium's cutscenes unskippable.

But keep Gaius. I never want to lose Saturday morning cartoon villain Gaius.

Or was that not your intent?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Those voices are completely jarring every time i get rolled into the wrong roulette, yes.

Anyways i think this is the weekend i do EW intro, and the good part is that i know literally nothing about endwalker besides "you go to the moon" or something like that. also a lot of the raids have greekish names, but i play sage so i'm already fluent in greek. imma do a stupid stream thing where i React to the trailer (which i've never seen) and prob a couple hours of play.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

Those voices are completely jarring every time i get rolled into the wrong roulette, yes.

Anyways i think this is the weekend i do EW intro, and the good part is that i know literally nothing about endwalker besides "you go to the moon" or something like that. also a lot of the raids have greekish names, but i play sage so i'm already fluent in greek. imma do a stupid stream thing where i React to the trailer (which i've never seen) and prob a couple hours of play.

You're in for a good time. I'm legit jealous.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the funny part is that i started playing this game because the yospos games thread started yelling "ffxiv! woo!" at this particular friday a bit ago, and i was like "hey its free up to level 60 and critically acclaimed? wow!" and started a blm. through 4,000 person queues that weekend. endwalker release weekend. i thought this game was the most rinky dink bullshit on the planet, lol.

so getting into EW is kind of a full circle thing, it indirectly shaped my noob experience

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
The worst old school VA is Alisaie, who is only voiced a few times iirc. I'm pretty sure she's voiced very early on when you first meet them, and in the coils raids. That VA isn't bad per se, but the characterization is nothing like we get in later expansions.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

bobtheconqueror posted:

The worst old school VA is Alisaie, who is only voiced a few times iirc. I'm pretty sure she's voiced very early on when you first meet them, and in the coils raids. That VA isn't bad per se, but the characterization is nothing like we get in later expansions.

I mean I’d say the VA is pretty bad too but the fact high pitched child is so not Alisaie doesn’t help.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Though Minfilia might very well have the worst delivery of a line I've ever heard used professionally.

"Thancred. No." :geno:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I got really mad when I finished Coils this week. there's enough twins story there that i feel it's mandatory to vibe out, in particular, alisaie in shb

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

HPanda posted:

Though Minfilia might very well have the worst delivery of a line I've ever heard used professionally.

"Thancred. No." :geno:

I've still never heard a solid concept of what Milfilia's accent was even supposed to be.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

HPanda posted:

But keep Gaius. I never want to lose Saturday morning cartoon villain Gaius.

Or was that not your intent?

I choose to believe Michael McElhatton would do that line the justice it deserves.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
if we could buy a memory wipe for one trivial thing in our lives that didnt REALLY affect anything, i'd absolutely mindwipe myself and msq again

that 2.0 finale made me cry, man. i made popcorn and watched that whole fuckin' movie. it was so good

and then it just got better from there

Okay, maybe a mindwipe but i can skip the 2.0 patch quests. but other than that my offer stands

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Cleretic posted:

I've still never heard a solid concept of what Milfilia's accent was even supposed to be.
In theory, Minfilia would have had a largely Ala Mhigan upbringing for her formative years and then her teenage years were in Ul'dah adopted by F'lhaminn (and with Thancred watching over her, too, but given his other activities in the time period I can only imagine he was away frequently) until she met Louisoix towards the end of those and spent some time under his guidance before 1.0.

This is not to say this history informed her accent direction in ARR a whit, but hypothetically that could have been used for a basis.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Even I, noted Endwalker Critic, don't think it is that bad. Still better than Stormblood at least.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Stormblood gave us Eureka, ergo it is best

I'm hosed up on :catdrugs: baby, get your ozma mount already

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Hellioning posted:

Even I, noted Endwalker Critic, don't think it is that bad. Still better than Stormblood at least.

Stormblood would have been better if the first four levels of it weren't this horrendous slog that felt more like a series of side quests than actual story progression.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Stormblood's problem is that rather than telling one single story comprised of several smaller story arcs, it told the same story twice, broken down into three zone story arcs each that are actually just the same story arc.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Yeah if I was going to rank the expansion stories so far Stormblood would be third place.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Ironically for me Stormblood picked up after Rhalgr's Reach gets razed. I guess I just really like going to places and doing favors for random guys.

ChaseSP posted:

Shinny starting off with tidal wave and potentially wiping out the entire party if unprepared is the truest recreation of it's original appearance.

It happened to us!! But we recovered lmao. My biggest problem is that dude took half the platform and none of my attacks actually connected to anything and also the scale and angle made my head dizzy.
Also I might just suck at those loving bosses who can toss you from the map, I still haven't figured what Leviathan's tell is.

Kazinsal posted:

Please no, I run the MSQ roulette daily and if they change Gaius that's gonna gently caress up my whole thing

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The WoL is no longer how very glib and the community has yet to recover

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Richard Epcar is the ARR VA having the most fun and he should've been kept when switching casts.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Runa posted:

The WoL is no longer how very glib and the community has yet to recover

i always thought Cid's "you're too bloody valuable" was the real funniest ARR raid quote and was shocked it never caught on

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
A blog went up about the upcoming Rising event. Quest is about Louisoix... aaand doesn't matter, because we also get the minigame.

Holy poo poo I think they're giving us a Bust-a-Move clone!

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Cleretic posted:

A blog went up about the upcoming Rising event. Quest is about Louisoix... aaand doesn't matter, because we also get the minigame.

Holy poo poo I think they're giving us a Bust-a-Move clone!

Oh, neat, there's actually two quests getting added. They don't mention much about the event quest itself, but the second quest is the one about Louisoix. It's also sticking around after the event, which I think is a great idea for anyone that didn't play 1.0 or hasn't learned about him through other means since then.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Endwalker is great imho but there are a few justified quibbles about things and it doesn't help that Shadowbringers is a real tough act to follow

It is very much the "I know writers who use subtext and they are all cowards" expansion which people seem to either love or hate.

Feldegast42 fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Aug 24, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

endwalker is imo about as good as shadowbringers its just that its following shadowbringers so people arent as blown away by it

as the 'finale' it has more balls to juggle whereas shadowbringers was largely just about two things, total. and took place in a setting entirely separate from the main setting so it could just focus in on those things

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

I think the biggest area where Shadowbringers succeeds and Endwalker doesn't is in the worldbuilding. Every zone of Shadowbringers has its own unique story and vibe and even on returning to each one after you finish the MSQ the world still feels open and full of possibilities. Endwalker has some great zones from a gameplay perspective, but several of them just aren't actually that interesting as places.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
I just hate the lighting in Ultima Thule.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

I love Shadowbringers but Endwalker is my favorite because the story really worked for me emotionally.

Also dang I love both the 8 and 24 person raids this time and the music is fantastic. Eden was great too and I especially loved 3, 4, 5 and 6, but I didn't like redoing the last set of fights quite as much as I do for Pandaemonium.

Copied Factory was cool but I only wanted to do enough Puppet's Bunker for one set of coins, so I skipped augmenting the second tomestone set to save for Cryptlurker. I was happy to use up all my coins for the current raids just to have an excuse to do them more later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Yoshi-P bring back Reload and its custom animation for Revolver of the Wanderer.

SAMs love to talk about losing Kaiten, but Reload was one of the most satisfying buttons to press in the game in terms of sound and animation feedback and it's gone. The MCH rework was badly needed, but we lost something precious.

Found this image on Reddit. Wish I had a gif or video somewhere, but no luck finding one this morning.